Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Toshimo posted:

Oh, man, you guys made me go look back at my Marvel Graphic Novels.

God bless Chris Claremont.

Is that Thunderbird? :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dick Trauma posted:

Is that Thunderbird? :rip:

Danielle Moonstar

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Toshimo posted:

Osborn revealed to Jameson that a side-effect of the OZ formula was that it granted immortality
This is the stupidest goddamn thing I've read this month

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Calaveron posted:

We can fix that. We have the technology.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Toshimo posted:

Danielle Moonstar

If Tom Orzechowski does the letters I'm willing to read it. :unsmith:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm surprised no-one posted the part from last issue of Detective Comics with Batman and Spoiler dealing with Tim Drake's 'death'.

(Also I really loved that Tim's sign-off on the radio before his 'last stand' was "Robin out". Not Red Robin, just Robin.)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Toshimo posted:

Ok, chucklefucks. You made me go find it.

Can someone tell me who the space cowpoke with the robot horse is?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

I don't have anything in front of me to look at but i swear Wakanda has already cured cancer and they actively don't give it out to anybody because non citizens don't deserve it

Thanks, Reginald Hudlin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

I don't have anything in front of me to look at but i swear Wakanda has already cured cancer and they actively don't give it out to anybody because non citizens don't deserve it

That's right up their with Mutants being immune to AIDS.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Hi I'm Reed Richards, and I don't cure cancer for everyone forever while munching my morning toast because

Reed Richards not solving all these real world issues is totally fine and good and ok when they don't tell stories about those things next to him. The second Sue gets cancer if he doesn't cure all people with her type of cancer and share breakthroughs with the medical community that allow lesser scientists to cure all/most cancer over the next year or so, he's a loving joke.

"No, my magical friend, I do not want to cure my life threatening illness" is loving retarded. Especially when it isn't "No, my magical friend, $cost is too high for the magical cure" but rather "don't even loving look for anything Thor, I'm cool with breast cancer"

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks, Reginald Hudlin.

comic book folks shouldn't write about cancer

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Toshimo posted:

Oh, man, you guys made me go look back at my Marvel Graphic Novels.

God bless Chris Claremont.

She's not wrong.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Sigma-X posted:

Reed Richards not solving all these real world issues is totally fine and good and ok when they don't tell stories about those things next to him. The second Sue gets cancer if he doesn't cure all people with her type of cancer and share breakthroughs with the medical community that allow lesser scientists to cure all/most cancer over the next year or so, he's a loving joke.

Doesn't most of Reed's money come from a combination of patents on stuff he's invented and what are basically bribes from various industries to keep his inventions from being sold to the general pubic because it would put those various industries out of business?

I would be willing to bet Reed's probably come up with dozens of wonder drugs that may not actually cure whatever disease it is you got, but can comfortably suppress the symptoms without adverse side-effects while allowing you to comfortably recover from it with your body's own natural defenses (or at least live day to day without pain)... and nobody in the Marvel universe ever sees any of it because big pharma is paying for a new wing to the Baxter Building or whatever loving skyscraper he lives in now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Calaveron posted:

It's stupid but not like it came out of nowhere. A constant of his run was Osborn "dying" and coming back to life. Like the previous time that he died his goddamn head got removed but he still returned.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He'll never be the head of a major corporation

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

Doesn't most of Reed's money come from a combination of patents on stuff he's invented and what are basically bribes from various industries to keep his inventions from being sold to the general pubic because it would put those various industries out of business?

I would be willing to bet Reed's probably come up with dozens of wonder drugs that may not actually cure whatever disease it is you got, but can comfortably suppress the symptoms without adverse side-effects while allowing you to comfortably recover from it with your body's own natural defenses (or at least live day to day without pain)... and nobody in the Marvel universe ever sees any of it because big pharma is paying for a new wing to the Baxter Building or whatever loving skyscraper he lives in now.

It's fine so long as that isn't actually a part of the story but the second you recognize that as a story element Reed is straight up a villain

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

As with most questions like this, the answer is "don't think too much about it."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

muscles like this? posted:

It's stupid but not like it came out of nowhere. A constant of his run was Osborn "dying" and coming back to life. Like the previous time that he died his goddamn head got removed but he still returned.

Yep it was the catalyst of Peters original death and it's the reason I hate that story. Norman's original end was great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Another thing that's stupid about that story is Ock suddenly has a change of heart which comes out of absolutely nowhere. The guy's headed an entire illegal research lab dedicated to loving up Peter's life, and suddenly he's like "Spider-man is cool + a hero"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The death of Spider-Man is just a really bad story that is meant to tug at the heartstrings and give a sagging title a boost.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks, Reginald Hudlin.

The sanctimony and selfishness displayed in this sequence enrages me more than I can describe. As I've said, I don't have cancer (I have something slower) but if I found out some other country was withholding the cure to my condition on the grounds that they politically distrusted America with the responsibility to save the lives of millions, I just...I don't know what I would do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

The sanctimony and selfishness displayed in this sequence enrages me more than I can describe. As I've said, I don't have cancer (I have something slower) but if I found out some other country was withholding the cure to my condition on the grounds that they politically distrusted America with the responsibility to save the lives of millions, I just...I don't know what I would do.

Keep in mind you're supposed to be rooting for these people.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lurdiak posted:

Keep in mind you're supposed to be rooting for these people.

I like the part where the old dude waxes on about how undeserving the west is, and then without missing a beat talks about how important revenge is. Isn't that like the first thing an enlightened society is supposed to start frowning on?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Toshimo posted:

Danielle Moonstar

Yeah, in her defense I don't think it was a few months before someone let out his evil side and he mind banged her. Probably not the best guardian for teenage girls, that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sigma-X posted:

"No, my magical friend, I do not want to cure my life threatening illness" is loving retarded. Especially when it isn't "No, my magical friend, $cost is too high for the magical cure" but rather "don't even loving look for anything Thor, I'm cool with breast cancer"

"The cost for magical cures are always too high" is pretty explicitly the initial argument Jane Foster makes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sigma-X posted:

It's fine so long as that isn't actually a part of the story but the second you recognize that as a story element Reed is straight up a villain

The "Council of Reeds" story outright states that the only reason 616 Reed Richards isn't a villain is Sue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's been a minute since I read it, but wasn't the actual reason that 616 Reed was the only one with his father around since the rest of the Nathans all killed each other?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jedit posted:

The "Council of Reeds" story outright states that the only reason 616 Reed Richards isn't a villain is Sue.

Did The Maker make it out of the Ultimate Universe? Or is he dead now?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Infinitum posted:

Did The Maker make it out of the Ultimate Universe? Or is he dead now?

He's in 616 now. :getin:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Toshimo posted:

He's in 616 now. :getin:

Noice.

That version of Reed is the loving best.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I miss Ultimate Reed being a misunderstood kid who tricked his friends into drinking his own pee. The Maker is a good villain but I liked him as a good guy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Endless Mike posted:

It's been a minute since I read it, but wasn't the actual reason that 616 Reed was the only one with his father around since the rest of the Nathans all killed each other?

I think you can imply that one leads to the other. The rest chose science over their families because they didn't have a dad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Being a villain has also resulted in him being about 40% stupider, as he just got owned by Sunspot and Songbird.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Being a villain has also resulted in him being about 40% stupider, as he just got owned by Sunspot and Songbird.

Not even super-geniuses are prepared for the might of Champagne Robot.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Wade Wilson posted:

"The cost for magical cures are always too high" is pretty explicitly the initial argument Jane Foster makes.

Yeah and its an argument that she makes weakly as gently caress.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I have no problem with any story using contrivance to get the characters into an interesting thematic place, but don't pretend it isn't contrivance.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah and its an argument that she makes weakly as gently caress.

She was talking to Thor and he is well aware of all the crazy magic/Norse related poo poo that has happened to her.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

She was talking to Thor and he is well aware of all the crazy magic/Norse related poo poo that has happened to her.

can we just get to the point where we agree that there is no amount of words that can be typed that is going to change my opinion on this being a badly written cancer story?

If there is a good story that can be told about a superhero that lives in a world full of science wizards, actual wizards, and a billion magical and technological healing artifacts getting a life threatening disease, it does not go "I will let the doctors take care of it."

Like, this is the most easily treatable cancer and one that she's in the early stages of treatment for so there's a ridiculously high chance of success, especially since she hasn't talked about it having spread anywhere, so really the only danger she's facing right now is her decision to go fishing or dig a well instead of doing that a year from now or calling any of her hundred billion superfriends to go loving do it for her so she doesn't undo the treatment she's trusting in.

The whole thing is as stupid as Wakanda holding back the cure for cancer. It is as dumbly and as poorly written.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Thor and Doctor Strange are both dealing with the cost of power.

What books besides Thor and Ms Marvel feel like traditional super hero books anymore? Not a lot of secret identities these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It also implies Black Panther is a loving arsehole for denying the world of a cure for cancer.