Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
wait poo poo it's a horse I thought it was a great dane

I don't want it anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

oopsie rock posted:

Guys, I think we've just hit peak BWM.

Price: 20,000 Euros

Spotted by my dad. Thanks, dad!

Better with money than the 30,000 euro pen I saw in a Cartier in Paris that I went into for shits and giggles, at least. This would leave you with an extra ten thousand euros for maybe a chair.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Suspicious Lump posted:

What's wrong with doing that?

Where do you get your info from? Most of my knowledge and info is from the internet :(

It's a very odd place to go if you're not into scuba diving. It's pretty much their only attraction outside of getting drunk. The island is pretty much a shithole except for the beach area. You can look into any ditch and see at least 10-15 empty beer bottles in it. There is very little to do there that doesn't involve the water. They also had no rental car planned, and their resort wasn't really close to anything else. If they just wanted to lay on the beach, there are such cheaper places to go.

Just my opinion though. I research the gently caress out of any place I go to before I travel. It certainly helped me when I got to Cozumel, Mexico and I already knew that every person past customs that approached you was literally a person trying to get you to buy a timeshare, even if they said they're a taxi company.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Better with money than the 30,000 euro pen I saw in a Cartier in Paris that I went into for shits and giggles, at least. This would leave you with an extra ten thousand euros for maybe a chair.

Yeah but expensive pens are how your rich daddy buys you a senior manager position at a fortune 500 company, very GWM in the long term.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
I've seen that horse lamp before, listed for 20.000€ at a store on Neuer Wall in Hamburg. That entire street was full of stores for the BWM.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

EgonSpengler posted:

I've seen that horse lamp before, listed for 20.000€ at a store on Neuer Wall in Hamburg. That entire street was full of stores for the BWM.

You would think that for that much money it would be a one-of-a-kind piece at least but I guess not. Even more BWM.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Do you guys think rich people should just never spend money ever or what?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Zo posted:

Just because you are rich doesn't mean you need to burn money on ugly tasteless expensive crap. You could get a unique and interesting sculpture from a living artist for that dough, and it might even appreciate in value.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yeah but, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I mean I think all art is a dumb waste of money but I'm not stupid enough to think that literally every person on earth shares my subjective opinion.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Jesus Christ, amway is bwm. The super rich spending their money on stupid poo poo is not bwm. gently caress let's not go down the min-max hole this week.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BarbarianElephant posted:

Just because you are rich doesn't mean you need to burn money on ugly tasteless expensive crap. You could get a unique and interesting sculpture from a living artist for that dough, and it might even appreciate in value.

on the plus side, lots of upper middle class people own or operate businesses that sell tacky or expensive poo poo to rich people

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

TLG James posted:

I sat next to a couple on the way to Curacao last year for their honeymoon. I've spent over a year there for various work trips. I asked if they scuba dived, and they said no. They pretty much just picked it out of a website.

Most peoples' skill sets start and end with lying on a beach drinking alcohol while being fat. I'm fine with their uselessness subsidizing my diving vacations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cowofwar posted:

Most peoples' skill sets start and end with lying on a beach drinking alcohol while being fat.

Don't doxx me.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Zo posted:

It is not weird to find it remarkable that some people buy ugly lamps worth more than other people's annual salaries.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Trillian posted:

It is not weird to find it remarkable that some people buy ugly lamps worth more than other people's annual salaries.

Maybe some people would find it more palatable if the horse lamp company was like Toms. For each horse lamp sold, a second horse lamp is given to an impoverished child.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

VendaGoat posted:

People, from, Virgina.

If it was from Florida the base would be a taxidermied horse.

From Texas? Taxidermied bull.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Trillian posted:

Look let's just all compromise by agreeing that rich people should be stripped of all land and assets and sent to toil in the acid mines

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That horse looks like a dog.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I honestly thought it was a great Dane as well.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
The true BWM here are those not rich enough to throw money at a horse lamp.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My Dad joined a football betting pool with a $500 buy-in last week. There is no spread, but the first time you pick a losing team you're out. Whoever gets the farthest in the season wins or splits the pot.

His first pick was for the Steelers to win against the Eagles. The Steelers were heavily favored, but the Eagles ended up winning by over 30 points. So, he's out $500 and doesn't even get to play for the rest of the season.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Speaking of sitting on a beach and BWM - A few years ago I dropped $4k on a week at Sandals for 2 people (a couple we are friends with wanted to go). Food was pretty good, beach was ok, the room was nice but it was July in Jamaica so it was unbearably hot. It was nice seeing our friends tho.

Even more BWM - I spent a considerable amount of time thinking about how I could've done like 2 weeks of pretty nice hotels, food and activities in the US, Mexico, or even Europe for about the same amount of money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
From a company memo on how to manage debt:

"Experts recommend not owing more than 30 percent of your gross income on credit cards"

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Speaking of sitting on a beach and BWM - A few years ago I dropped $4k on a week at Sandals for 2 people (a couple we are friends with wanted to go). Food was pretty good, beach was ok, the room was nice but it was July in Jamaica so it was unbearably hot. It was nice seeing our friends tho.

Even more BWM - I spent a considerable amount of time thinking about how I could've done like 2 weeks of pretty nice hotels, food and activities in the US, Mexico, or even Europe for about the same amount of money.

And then you lost your house because of your bad financial decisions, right?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

We went once in May and once in November. Neither time was too hot. Treating yourself to a carefree week where you don't need your wallet at all and can drink your weight in booze daily is not a terrible thing to do every once in a while, provided you aren't taking out a loan to do so.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Struensee posted:

And then you lost your house because of your bad financial decisions, right?

No but my horse didn't make the swim back to the mainland.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
What makes you think only stupid rich people will buy that horse lamp? Do you think only stupid rich people buy $75,000 trucks?

Also, can a mod make talking about yourself in this thread probate-able? That will solve 90% of the stupid derails that happen here.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 27, 2016

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Zo posted:

Except of course that's complete bullshit too. It just sounds funny.

Yes, that is what makes it a joke, nerd.

Only empirically verified equine pathologies on a personal finance funny Internet forum, tyvm.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

TLG James posted:

It's a very odd place to go if you're not into scuba diving. It's pretty much their only attraction outside of getting drunk. The island is pretty much a shithole except for the beach area. You can look into any ditch and see at least 10-15 empty beer bottles in it. There is very little to do there that doesn't involve the water. They also had no rental car planned, and their resort wasn't really close to anything else. If they just wanted to lay on the beach, there are such cheaper places to go.

Just my opinion though. I research the gently caress out of any place I go to before I travel. It certainly helped me when I got to Cozumel, Mexico and I already knew that every person past customs that approached you was literally a person trying to get you to buy a timeshare, even if they said they're a taxi company.

This is how I feel about people who come from the states to go to Bali. Like, this is full on other-side-of-the-world, and you're going to Bali?? I don't know how it is marketed and it's ok to visit if you live close, but it's kind of lovely and there are no birds because they've all been eaten. If you love Starbucks next to Rip Curl next to Quicksilver and trash, go nuts. But it's dirty, super touristy and commercialized, and expensive. There are hundreds of better tropical paradises.

I've heard the same about Fiji, New Caledonia and Vanuatu but I don't know first hand.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Switchback posted:

This is how I feel about people who come from the states to go to Bali. Like, this is full on other-side-of-the-world, and you're going to Bali?? I don't know how it is marketed and it's ok to visit if you live close, but it's kind of lovely and there are no birds because they've all been eaten. If you love Starbucks next to Rip Curl next to Quicksilver and trash, go nuts. But it's dirty, super touristy and commercialized, and expensive. There are hundreds of better tropical paradises.

I've heard the same about Fiji, New Caledonia and Vanuatu but I don't know first hand.

Eaten by what? :stare:

Also tourists should contain themselves to crapped-up touristy areas and stay out of the places people are actually trying to live.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Switchback posted:

This video pretty much sums up the Bali experience, thanks to the white trash of my nation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96NrIz_khQM

You couldn't spit without hitting a couple of bogans who were yelling at each other about going to Bali in my old hometown.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Eaten by what? :stare:

Also tourists should contain themselves to crapped-up touristy areas and stay out of the places people are actually trying to live.

Yeah this is the ongoing debate, does tourism help or hurt? I see that places with tourist infrastructure tend to teach their kids to pick up trash because their livelihood depends on it. If it's not tourism, it's a worse industry like manufacturing that comes in for the cheap labour, and they do not care about the environment at all, and there is no government infrastructure for enforcing HSE regulations.

Everyone is trying to develop, which is a sticky topic on its own... we can't be using consumer goods and services and say "but YOU should stick to your kampong life and not pursue this materialistic stuff!" Industry is moving in to all these relatively untouched places and in my experience, tourism is better for the planet, and it's pretty feel-good when compared to garment or electronics manufacturing or drug running or oil drilling. It may be fake and for my sweet tourist dollars but friendliness is nice either way. I think often the people working at these sites can be more destructive than tourists because they don't have that "I'm here to appreciate this exotic culture!" attitude (looking at oil workers here).

But for real SO MUCH TRASH loving EVERYWHERE in all these beautiful places and tourism dollars are typically the only motivation for people to keep it clean.

Switchback fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 28, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Kind of hard to believe, but after reading this thread, it makes a bit of sense

Make Six Figures? There's a Decent Chance You've Got Almost Nothing in the Bank

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nitrox posted:

An analysis of savings that only counts what people have in a savings account, but doesn't include checking accounts, IRAs, 401ks, and taxable investment accounts is not really telling you anything.

If anything, the people with their retirement fund in a savings account are BWM.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nitrox posted:

I like the related articles at the bottom

Bloomberg really wants you to Read More millennials

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Switchback posted:

Yeah this is the ongoing debate, does tourism help or hurt? I see that places with tourist infrastructure tend to teach their kids to pick up trash because their livelihood depends on it. If it's not tourism, it's a worse industry like manufacturing that comes in for the cheap labour, and they do not care about the environment at all, and there is no government infrastructure for enforcing HSE regulations.

Everyone is trying to develop, which is a sticky topic on its own... we can't be using consumer goods and services and say "but YOU should stick to your kampong life and not pursue this materialistic stuff!" Industry is moving in to all these relatively untouched places and in my experience, tourism is better for the planet, and it's pretty feel-good when compared to garment or electronics manufacturing or drug running or oil drilling. It may be fake and for my sweet tourist dollars but friendliness is nice either way. I think often the people working at these sites can be more destructive than tourists because they don't have that "I'm here to appreciate this exotic culture!" attitude (looking at oil workers here).

But for real SO MUCH TRASH loving EVERYWHERE in all these beautiful places and tourism dollars are typically the only motivation for people to keep it clean.

Yeah it's definitely a way more complex topic than the Making Fun of Horse-Havers thread can really dive into. Without even getting into the economics stuff and setting aside my irritation at tourists as a species, it's okay for there to be places to corral people who just want to lie in the sun for a week, and I think everyone is better served by people looking for that type of vacation self-segregating from travelers looking for more serious engagement with the local geography or culture. And people looking for "authenticity" without a good plan for how they'll interact with the place they're visiting can often trample over things the locals didn't intend for global consumption. I kind of hate americans abroad who assume they can just barge into every temple and take selfies and the brag about how much better they are than the umbrella drinks contingent.

Okay I didn't really set aside my irritation I guess. But I really reined it in, trust me.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I like the related articles at the bottom

Bloomberg really wants you to Read More millennials

Too on the nose?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Nitrox posted:

THAT ARTICLE posted:

There is a bit of good news in the study. Older snake people—those aged from 25 to 34—were slightly better at saving than their Generation X counterparts. While 10 percent of Generation Xers had from $5,000 to $9,999 in the bank, 13 percent of older snake people had saved as much, notwithstanding their shorter time in the work force.

Edit: Who the hell installed the Millenials to Snake People add on in my Chrome? Now I look like an idiot!

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

An analysis of savings that only counts what people have in a savings account, but doesn't include checking accounts, IRAs, 401ks, and taxable investment accounts is not really telling you anything.

If anything, the people with their retirement fund in a savings account are BWM.

Do they explain their methodology anywhere? Because if someone asked me "how much do you have in your savings account" I would answer with everything I have in savings, include all retirement, IRAs, short-term savings and cash in checking that's not already earmarked for living expenses.

The article says "savings account" but doesn't describe how literal we should take that. I certainly consider brokerage and retirement accounts as "savings accounts."

If it is literal, and you make over $100k, and you don't have $1000 cash on hand for emergencies, you are BWM.

E: it was up to the interpretation of the respondent:

quote:

Methodology: This GOBankingRates.com survey posed the question, “How much money do you have saved in your savings account?” to 7,052 people among all 50 states and Washington, DC. Responses were collected through a Google Consumer Survey conducted from Aug. 1, 2016, to Aug. 9, 2016, and responses are representative of the U.S. online population. The survey has a 2.6 percent margin of error.

Switchback fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 28, 2016

• Locked thread