Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SynthOrange posted:

Why the hell does Spider-Man seemingly have so many evil-Spiderman enemies? Venom, Carnage, the Clone, the Doppleganger, more symbiotes, Kaine, etc

Flash has a bunch of anti-Flashes. And everybody loved it when Christopher Reeve faced off against Terence Stamp. I think there's something about the evil mirror-image that's appealing in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You gotta really stretch to include Carnage in that list. All he really has is Venom and a couple of clones.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I was more a fan of when Christopher Reeve faced off against Christopher Reeve.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ghostlight posted:

I was more a fan of when Christopher Reeve faced off against Christopher Reeve.

That was also awesome, and I'm embarrassed I didn't remember it sooner.

And I agree that Carnage doesn't count as an "evil Spider-Man", because he's just more Venom. That's like saying every member of Hydra counts as a Captain America villain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Specifically, Carnage is just Venom with all the Spider-man-like aspects stripped out. No spider-powers, no webbing, no spider-logo, just an angry guy covered in slime with a funky mouth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

Isn't the Clone Saga like two years and something like eighty issues long or something? Because it covered four simultaneous monthlies right? Maximum Clonage is just the story arc within Clone Saga where Ben and Peter figure out once and for all who was the clone and it introduces all those super dumb clones (like Kaine and poo poo).

I think it's like 146 single comics.

Incidentally, anyone want to buy a complete set of the Clone Saga?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think it may be even more than that (not counting reprints and collections). Which I'm pretty sure would make it the second-biggest Marvel crossover before Civil War, the biggest being AoA.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Not to poo poo on the guy too hard, but I doubt McFarlane issues would make the cut for something like that today.

I hope people say this about Slott in 20 years.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They're saying it now. Doesn't make people's hate boner for Slott not weird though.

McFarlane's stories in that collection aren't the best, but they're both solid issues showcasing two of Spider-Man's best villains. Also, Todd drew the hell out of pineapple Thing's brief appearence.

What modern one issue story would you guys include?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is there even such a thing as a modern one-issue story?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Does anybody know which issue of Sandman has Lucien going through the library that consists of books that famous authors only ever dreamed of but never wrote?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Die Laughing posted:

They're saying it now. Doesn't make people's hate boner for Slott not weird though.

McFarlane's stories in that collection aren't the best, but they're both solid issues showcasing two of Spider-Man's best villains. Also, Todd drew the hell out of pineapple Thing's brief appearence.

Oh man, only one-issue stories? That's tough. Otherwise I would have said "Unscheduled Stop" in Amazing 578-9 was pretty rad. It was that underground Shocker story by Waid and drawn by Marcos Martin.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't that Sandman story from the Gauntlet a one and done?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I think it may be even more than that (not counting reprints and collections). Which I'm pretty sure would make it the second-biggest Marvel crossover before Civil War, the biggest being AoA.
Assuming Rhyno's number is correct, that's *way* bigger than AoA. Even if you count Legionquest, Blink, and the later AoA miniseries and ongoing, you're still only looking at like 80 or 90 total comics?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Looking back over my old notes, you're right; it's far bigger. In fact, It has almost as many issues as Civil War itself.

Edit: It's very strange to me that the Clone Saga is so goddamn big. Even most universe-wide crossovers didn't have half as many issues. How the hell did that happen?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 27, 2016

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Some deeply demented guy did a 35-part recap of the Clone Saga, including comments from an editor who worked on the thing. It's an oddly fun read.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 27, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Does anybody know which issue of Sandman has Lucien going through the library that consists of books that famous authors only ever dreamed of but never wrote?

I can't remember exactly and don't have my copies with me, but I did find a list of the books it contains on Wikipedia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_books_from_periodicals#DC_Comics

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Looking back over my old notes, you're right; it's far bigger. In fact, It has almost as many issues as Civil War itself.

Edit: It's very strange to me that the Clone Saga is so goddamn big. Even most universe-wide crossovers didn't have half as many issues. How the hell did that happen?

The really short version is that it wasn't intended to be anywhere near that long, but it turned out to be a success at the start so they extended it. And extended it. And extended it well past the point everyone hated it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

prefect posted:

Flash has a bunch of anti-Flashes.

It's funny to me that every season of the Flash television show has centered around one such anti-Flash. It seems...contrived.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

The really short version is that it wasn't intended to be anywhere near that long, but it turned out to be a success at the start so they extended it. And extended it. And extended it well past the point everyone hated it.

Also there were as many Spider-Man ongoings at the time as there were X-Men ones.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

There was a good stretch of a few hundred years there were there was always an antipope so maybe this whole flash villain thing is just the way the world works?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Also there were as many Spider-Man ongoings at the time as there were X-Men ones.
I think the main reason I didn't read Spider-Man much in the 90s is that I wasn't sure whether to buy regular, Amazing, Spectacular, Web of, Sensational, or Butter Pecan Spider-Man, and I didn't have enough money to read them all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I think the main reason I didn't read Spider-Man much in the 90s is that I wasn't sure whether to buy regular, Amazing, Spectacular, Web of, Sensational, or Butter Pecan Spider-Man, and I didn't have enough money to read them all.

I'm sure the fact that storylines would constantly jump between the titles only made you more interested in becoming a loyal reader.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the Ending Battle arc in Superman was the first time I ever came across the idea of a story arc taking place across multiple different comics, and thank God was it nowhere near as complicated as 90s Spider-Man.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure the fact that storylines would constantly jump between the titles only made you more interested in becoming a loyal reader.

It sucks that they still do that crap. Like the first part of Waid's Daredevil has that couple of issues where all of a sudden it's the middle of a Punisher story.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Collecting Batman stories from...pretty much any time post 1990 is a real pain in the rear end, I find.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh come on, don't tell me you forgot about Spider-Man Unlimited, the ongoing whose claim to fame was coming out three times less often!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Not to poo poo on the guy too hard, but I doubt McFarlane issues would make the cut for something like that today.

I digged the arc where Spidey and Wolverine fight the Wendigo in the Albertan wilderness.

Halloween Jack posted:

Collecting Batman stories from...pretty much any time post 1990 is a real pain in the rear end, I find.

DC is currently putting out trades of the Robin run from the 90's and I am genuinely curious how it's going to tackle all the Contagion/Legacy stuff.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

I digged the arc where Spidey and Wolverine fight the Wendigo in the Albertan wilderness.

DC is currently putting out trades of the Robin run from the 90's and I am genuinely curious how it's going to tackle all the Contagion/Legacy stuff.

Hopefully they would just skip those issues.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I just got the second Batgirl trade from Cassandra's series and they just dropped in the Bruce Wayne: Fugitive issue with absolutely no fanfare or commentary so I think they're probably just going to print each issue in numerical order and drat the confusion.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
DC's collections department actively makes it difficult to enjoy their characters.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

I just got the second Batgirl trade from Cassandra's series and they just dropped in the Bruce Wayne: Fugitive issue with absolutely no fanfare or commentary so I think they're probably just going to print each issue in numerical order and drat the confusion.
And they couldn't be assed to include the Puckett/Scott Cass short story from Guide to the DC Universe 2001-2002, either, apparently, that sets up the Shiva rematch. Sad!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

redbackground posted:

And they couldn't be assed to include the Puckett/Scott Cass short story from Guide to the DC Universe 2001-2002, either, apparently, that sets up the Shiva rematch. Sad!

I've got a quote from DC's trade department about this actually.

output $comic_series issues (x-(x+6)) goto "printer"

I hope that...helps?

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
The electric-blue Superman appearance in JLA Deluxe Vol. 1 that almost everyone complains about would be remedied by a 3 or 4-page story from a JLA Secret Files that shows he's changed, explains his powers, and shows everyone's reactions. Those few pages would've helped that book so much, particularly for those that weren't reading late '90s Superman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

At one point during the CS there was a four month stretch where in excess of 16 different Spider-man comics came out each month.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

At one point during the CS there was a four month stretch where in excess of 16 different Spider-man comics came out each month.

Holy poo poo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Holy poo poo

It was out of control.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
The marketing department had editorial control. It was a dark time.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

Every issue of Tangled Web.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

What year did that happen? :stare: