Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kvlt! posted:

I was hoping to get some help with this, but I'm relatively new to amps and such so forgive me if my terminology and descriptions are off.

So I use an Orange Rockerverb MKIII as my amp for playing stoner/doom type stuff. I have a pedal called Acapulco Gold, which is a one-knob pedal that imitates the sound of a cranked Sunn Model T. I often will turn up the gain all the way on the Orange and then also turn up the pedal all the way, which leads to a tone that I really like. My problem is even if all the strings are muted I still get so much distortion and the overall sound is just incredibly muddy. I can turn down the gain or the pedal which will clean it up, but then I don't get the tone I like and even then I still get noise coming from my amp. The only time I can mute the strings and the amp is silent is if I switch off the pedal completely. Does anyone know how to fix this?

so you like the tone but also the tone is incredibly muddy?

Also if you are cranking the gain on your amp and your pedal chances are it will be very distorted and muddy. The acapulco gold and pedal like that are usually meant to be put into a clean amp to use the pedals again to get the distorted tone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Smash it Smash hit posted:

so you like the tone but also the tone is incredibly muddy?

Also if you are cranking the gain on your amp and your pedal chances are it will be very distorted and muddy. The acapulco gold and pedal like that are usually meant to be put into a clean amp to use the pedals again to get the distorted tone

I love the muddiness of the tone when I am playing, that's why I'm using the pedal through the dirty channel. My issue is when the strings are muted or I'm not playing there's still incredible noise. I think a noise gate is the answer, as this thread suggested.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Kvlt! posted:

I love the muddiness of the tone when I am playing, that's why I'm using the pedal through the dirty channel. My issue is when the strings are muted or I'm not playing there's still incredible noise. I think a noise gate is the answer, as this thread suggested.

So just to be clear, with sound, most people associate the word "mud" with overbearing and undefined lows/low mids, with lacking definition in the treble frequencies when you're playing. Is that the kind of mud you're talking about?

Or when you say "mud," are you talking about how much garbly white noise there is when you're not playing? Because if that's the case, most people will be confused by that because that's not how most people use the word "mud."

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

So just to be clear, with sound, most people associate the word "mud" with overbearing and undefined lows/low mids, with lacking definition in the treble frequencies when you're playing. Is that the kind of mud you're talking about?

Or when you say "mud," are you talking about how much garbly white noise there is when you're not playing? Because if that's the case, most people will be confused by that because that's not how most people use the word "mud."

I apologize if my wording was confusing, I can understand the issue here. I may have been using both interchangeably.

Going by your 1st definition of mud, the problem could be described as "I love the muddy tone using this amp-pedal combo, but the white noise when I am not playing is a problem". That problem could be fixed by a noise gate, as this thread suggested.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

It might help. It depends on where the noise is coming from.

If you crank up your amp, and then disconnect your guitar from the amp, do you still have noise?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

jwh posted:

It might help. It depends on where the noise is coming from.

If you crank up your amp, and then disconnect your guitar from the amp, do you still have noise?

Maybe, but I don't think so. I'll have to check when I get home.

The noise is definitely coming from the pedal I think. When I crank the gain on the amp all the way and mute the strings it is silent, when I add the pedal is when the white noise comes in.

I've got a noise gate coming in today so I'll report back and see how that goes.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
It's a high gain pedal, it's going to be noisey, fact.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Pokey Araya posted:

It's a high gain pedal, it's going to be noisey, fact.

If anyone needs verification on this, plug a Metal Muff into a once quiet amplifier. :science:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kvlt! posted:

I've got a noise gate coming in today so I'll report back and see how that goes.

Hopefully that works out for you. I've heard reports that they can have some effect on the ~tonez~ so hopefully that doesn't kill what you like about your setup!

Probably it won't, because having a gate before the amp and in the effects loop is a very common thing in metal now and is pretty much the foundation of super tight rhythm at this point.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 23, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Noise gates don't affect your tone that much, at least not at the kind of volume where they're necessary.

Back in the time of dinosaurs people had to continually ride the volume knob to not be deafened by feedback whenever they stopped playing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The noisiest pedal I have by far is the Dunlop wah, everything else is silent apart from that cranky old bastard

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
All my pedals are pretty noisy but that's kinda my jam

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Update: I got an ISP Decimator II pedal and it pretty much fixed the problem. I still get a tiny bit of background noise but that's because I'm playing with just too much gain. It's a bearable amount and doesn't bother me. The tone isn't really affected at all from what I can tell.

Thank you all for the suggestion, it worked!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

William F Cuckley posted:

Back in the time of dinosaurs people had to continually ride the volume knob to not be deafened by feedback whenever they stopped playing.

Old school Ted Nugent kicked so much rear end

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
Line6 just released a preview of the new Spider V amp ... and oh boy ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z_AxwGN72Y

Not the most convincing tone to start a demo with ...

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That seems like a great great set of features for a beginner amp except for maybe the wireless(?? why) and it seems like that's who the video's targeted at.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's just funny because that amp is probably capable of making all kinds of decent sounds, but they chose something really bizarre and tasteless.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

muike posted:

That seems like a great great set of features for a beginner amp except for maybe the wireless(?? why) and it seems like that's who the video's targeted at.

Sometimes I think modelling amps like that are the worst thing for beginners just because it's so overwhelming and can easily confuse a newbie and make them wonder why everything they do sounds like rear end

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Yannos posted:

Good lord, that sounds horrible.

Just in case you thought that sounded good, for point of contrast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWk4QNaUKTE

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The only benefit my Line 6 Spider ii head has is being loud as hell, its pretty garbage in all other respects, sounds more plastic than the worst preset on Guitar Rig 1

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I dunno what you guys are complaining about, that's what Line 6 amps sound like.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Yannos posted:

ONEPUUUUUUUUUNCH!!!!!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Get an old Peavey Bandit for £40 and a delay pedal and you too could sound like a Line 6

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

peter gabriel posted:

Get an old Peavey Bandit for £40 and a delay pedal and you too could sound like a Line 6

you scoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6lZ3-aZjDg

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I do, but honestly Bandits back in the day were loving monsters. They were indestrubtable

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i used to have an old pre-transtube teal stripe 160 watt special with the scorpion speaker

the heat sink was the size of a buick and it would flatten your ear hairs at about 4

pretty sure it was built to withstand a direct nuclear blast

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 27, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

William F Cuckley posted:

i used to have an old pre-transtube teal stripe 160 watt special with the scorpion speaker

the heat sink was the size of a buick and it would flatten your ear hairs at about 4

pretty sure it was built to withstand a direct nuclear blast

They were loving LOUD, man the memories, a Bandit was my first proper amp

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!

muike posted:

Yeah the feature list is pretty nice (built in drumloops are always fun). The new design is looks good too.
I'm not knocking Line6 just for the bandwagon hate they always get since I actually (used to) own quite a few Line6 products (Spider IV, PODHD500x,L3T) and I enjoy them for what they are... It's just amusing that they would release a demo with such a crappy tone when they know that everything they do is put under a microscope.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
In seriousness I think Line 6, and all that stuff serves a purpose and does it pretty well. I have nothing against them really.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
So i figure y'all would be the best people to ask on this. I have a home-made theremin that i love messing around with but I dont want it to be the beginning of my chain. Is there a way that I could put it in the middle of my chain and either have it effect my guitar signal or maybe just put out a signal untop of it? I can send gut shots if neccessary.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Just get an ABY box and run the theremin into A, the guitar into B, and the output into the rest of the chain?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Yeah I thought about doing that, and it is legimitate but, I would really like to save space if possible and mount it on the board, maybe rehouse it into a small enclosure. Just weighing my options here.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

You can get a very small ABY. I think Mooer also makes one. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-micro-aby-footswitch

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

You can get a very small ABY. I think Mooer also makes one. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-micro-aby-footswitch

Oh word that is nice and tiny, thanks!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I played into a Kemper a few weeks ago and I just can't get it out of my head. After playing with some BIAS demos, I'm finding it super hard to justify a move into traditional amp space again. Is it likely we'll see a Kemper II or such like any time soon? I kind of feel like I should wait for the technology to evolve a bit longer and get in on the second wave...

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 29, 2016

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Southern Heel posted:

So I played into a Kemper a few weeks ago and I just can't get it out of my head. After playing with some BIAS demos, I'm finding it super hard to justify a move into traditional amp space again. Is it likely we'll see a Kemper II or such like any time soon? I kind of feel like I should wait for the technology to evolve a bit longer and get in on the second wave...

Funny you should mention modeling heads and BIAS

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

I feel like this will be like electric cars, they took a while but nerd tech being what it is it just gets better and better faster.
It wouldn't shock me to see some low cost versions in a year or so, like seriously cheap and good.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

muike posted:

The lil one doesent have a wireless.

The interesting thing about it is it has a tweeter in addition to a traditional speaker, so its kinda FRFR. (ERER?).

Also the wireless charges by plugging it into the amps input jack. I kinda want one as a home amp.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
I've been playing through an AxeFX II for the past year or so with some FRFR monitors. It's been a blast and it works for me because I'm just a bedroom guitarist who uses a Mustang 3 when I jam with friends. However, I'm planning on making the move up to a proper cabinet (thinking a 2x12" Mesa horizontal cab) and poweramp to feed the AxeFX through.

The Axe FX gurus recommend getting a flat tube poweramp like a Mesa 2 90 or a Fryette. However, I've also seen dudes running their Axe FX through a regular guitar head and using that. At the moment, my only gear is the Axe and a Mustang 3. For the price of a Mesa 2 90 or a Fryette I'm getting into the range of some nice used tube heads (Mesas and Orange). The Axe FX gurus claim that running modeling gear like the AxeFX through a guitar head colors the sound something fierce, which is why they recommend getting a flat poweramp. However, it would be nice to have the option of not using the Axe and just using the Orange/Mesa head every once and awhile. Anyone have any experience with either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
There's also the Carvin TS100 that's fairly flat and a lot cheaper.