Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griz
May 21, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Sabaton writes songs about literally everything, I have no idea what their political affiliation is other than "war is super cool guys"

Sabaton is what you get when a metal band searches Wikipedia for anything metal enough to write a song about.

their demo tapes had songs about bikers, Norse mythology, and an unrepentant scientist about to be burned by the Spanish Inquisition, then they went all-in with the war gimmick and we got songs about the Yugoslav Wars, Falklands War, UN peacekeepers, both Gulf Wars, the Six-Day War, the Norwegian heavy water sabotage, Simo Häyhä, Lauri Törni/Larry Thorne, three Brazilians who fought to the death in WW2 Italy, an entire album about Sweden in the Thirty Years War, the WW2 Belgian army, the Soviet volunteer women's bomber regiment aka the Night Witches, the 1527 sack of Rome, the final battle of the Satsuma Rebellion, and other military trivia that most people don't know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Hindsight is 20/20

quote:

Due to weak final drives, [the Hummels] often broke down during off-road driving or while driving during short periods of muddy roads. The six-gun battery often only had 2 or 3 guns in service.
The Panther tank is a more suitable chassis for heavy field howitzers.

For those of you not in the know, the final drive was a notorious weakness of the Panther.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

if they can't balance their gustavus adolphus song with one about the glories of the imperialist war machine, they're biased

There was a pretty good song about the swiss guard, that's in the general area, I think.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
1527 sack of Rome is definitely care-worthy.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Cossacks II anthology is on sale on GOG, by the way.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Mr Enderby posted:

I just knocked through the first few O'Brian's. I was really surprised by how well written they are. I've never come across such nerdy, detail heavy historical fiction which has any literary merit.

Are they generally considered to be good on the historical side of things?

Aubrey's adventures in Master & Commander in particular are heavily based on the memoirs of Thomas Cochrane. The duel between Sophie and Cacafuego is the duel between Speedy and El Gamo with fictional characters.

Also, yes, Jack keeps referring to his bronze chasers as brass, but I'm fairly sure that's just the colloquy of the times (as FastestGunAlive notes for the United States).

Nebakenezzar, Post Captain is a formal rank, while Captain is courtesy title for officers of lower rank (including lieutenants) who command ships.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EvanSchenck posted:

Not all American frigates were created equal. Chesapeake and Shannon were both 38-gun frigates of similar displacement, complement, and armament. Constitution and the other 44-gun Americans were much bigger and better-armed, with much larger crews. Those were the ones that the British frigates were ordered not to engage.

While this is true, I suspect the order was simply 'don't engage American frigates on your own', not 'don't engage these 5 frigates but that one is ok'. It's not like you'd be able to tell the difference at a distance, in any case.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Nebakenezzar, Post Captain is a formal rank, while Captain is courtesy title for officers of lower rank (including lieutenants) who command ships.

Seriously? But in the first book, they don't describe Aubery as a Captian - they use the term Master and Commander.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

He would have been entitled by tradition to be called "Captain", but his actual rank was "Master and Commander", which has now been shortened to just "Commander"; the rank above it is "Captain", sometimes styled as "post-captain" to avoid confusion, but you'd never call someone a "post-captain" unless you needed clarification or you were trying to insult them.

edit: there's also something called a "lieutenant commanding" or similar (no prizes for guessing what they're called today), which is someone with the rank of Lieutenant who's in charge of a ship and therefore also gets "Captain" as a courtesy; the famous Captain Bligh of the Bounty was by rank a lieutenant, by position a lieutenant in command, and only by tradition a captain

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 27, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Griz posted:

Sabaton is what you get when a metal band searches Wikipedia for anything metal enough to write a song about.

their demo tapes had songs about bikers, Norse mythology, and an unrepentant scientist about to be burned by the Spanish Inquisition, then they went all-in with the war gimmick and we got songs about the Yugoslav Wars, Falklands War, UN peacekeepers, both Gulf Wars, the Six-Day War, the Norwegian heavy water sabotage, Simo Häyhä, Lauri Törni/Larry Thorne, three Brazilians who fought to the death in WW2 Italy, an entire album about Sweden in the Thirty Years War, the WW2 Belgian army, the Soviet volunteer women's bomber regiment aka the Night Witches, the 1527 sack of Rome, the final battle of the Satsuma Rebellion, and other military trivia that most people don't know about.

They could be browsing this very thread RIGHT NOW.

When they make a song about shooting pistols/throwing people from windows it will be a confirmation of this.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

poo poo I'm reading - 30 Years War, a European Tragedy

So the Holy Roman Empire and the Ottomans go to war - the result is a Ottoman victory which means lost face for the Emperor, but not a great deal of other consequences because the Ottomans get into it with the Persians at the same time. Actual consequences a little vague; castles are lost in Hungary, and Transylvania and its strategic Vampire supply is lost to the Ottomans.

The Current emperor, Rudolf, has mental health problems, probably depression, and his like five brothers are conceivable replacements. The game of throne (I mean I assume the emperor has a throne in Innsbruck or some poo poo) that follows empowers the political units in under the emperor, weakens the Emperor.

Meanwhile, the Emperor has been trying to weld his life force to the tree of life and thus become a god unite his authority with Roman Catholicism, which generally means oppressing non-cathloics. This is a lovely idea as the English kings could tell you, and is turning formerly peaceable co-existence among the types into a flashpoint of tension

Also the political subdivisions in the empire manage to make hay out of this as well

Trin Tragula posted:

the famous Captain Bligh of the Bounty was by rank a lieutenant, by position a lieutenant in command, and only by tradition a captain

:allears:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bligh's most famous command is that bit under your bed.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

Actual consequences a little vague
some dude nobody's ever heard of named waldstein or wallenstein or something gets his first experiences of combat, there's that

rudolf 2 didn't try to oppress non-catholics though; you are thinking of one of his potential successors, ferdinand of styria. wouldn't it be terrible if a guy who was that hardcore about one religion inherited this big multi-religious hodgepodge of political entities, that would suck

edit: as far as i know, there is no throne. heck, there was no permanent court until only a little while ago

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 27, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Actual consequences a little vague; castles are lost in Hungary, and Transylvania and its strategic Vampire supply is lost to the Ottomans.

Actually laughed in the street

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

He would have been entitled by tradition to be called "Captain", but his actual rank was "Master and Commander", which has now been shortened to just "Commander"; the rank above it is "Captain", sometimes styled as "post-captain" to avoid confusion, but you'd never call someone a "post-captain" unless you needed clarification or you were trying to insult them.

edit: there's also something called a "lieutenant commanding" or similar (no prizes for guessing what they're called today), which is someone with the rank of Lieutenant who's in charge of a ship and therefore also gets "Captain" as a courtesy; the famous Captain Bligh of the Bounty was by rank a lieutenant, by position a lieutenant in command, and only by tradition a captain

the english? confusing legacy bullshit? no!

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

Hey, it makes perfect sense as long as you are English.

No it doesn't, its just what we tell non English people :shepicide:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

JcDent posted:

Actually laughed in the street

I mentioned Dracula to an old Hungarian lady once and she went off on a twenty minute tirade about how vampires aren't actually Transylvanian and Bram Stoker just set the story there for convenience

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

some dude nobody's ever heard of named waldstein or wallenstein or something gets his first experiences of combat, there's that

rudolf 2 didn't try to oppress non-catholics though; you are thinking of one of his potential successors, ferdinand of styria. wouldn't it be terrible if a guy who was that hardcore about one religion inherited this big multi-religious hodgepodge of political entities, that would suck

edit: as far as i know, there is no throne. heck, there was no permanent court until only a little while ago

My bad. So wait, all this religious fuckery is happening because Ferdinand of Styria is just tight with the Pope?

Did Rudolf II ever sit his Brother down and be like "Be Catholic as poo poo but don't disinter Lutherans and leave their remains by the road?" You'd think the amount of Debt the Emperor was in would be a bigger issue.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Polyakov posted:

Hey, it makes perfect sense as long as you are English.

No it doesn't, its just what we tell non English people :shepicide:

The guys who set it all up went seeking for this North West passage and never got back to us on the whole 'why' thing.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

My bad. So wait, all this religious fuckery is happening because Ferdinand of Styria is just tight with the Pope?

Did Rudolf II ever sit his Brother down and be like "Be Catholic as poo poo but don't disinter Lutherans and leave their remains by the road?" You'd think the amount of Debt the Emperor was in would be a bigger issue.
cousin, i think.

rudolf 2 has been under effective house arrest for years and that's before the Brothers' War. if he gets his poo poo together for a day long enough to do something, it's art collecting or alchemy or some poo poo

edit: on the bright side, the art collection still exists, and it's phenomenal v:shobon:v

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 27, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I was trying to chase down this book I read when I was much younger and inadvertantly bought some absolute trash military fiction called "Hold Back the Sun". Now I'm reading it because I spent $3 on it and I can't let that go to waste. It's terrible!

quote:

It’s 1942.

High adventure fills the lives of American and Dutch fighting men in the opening months of the Pacific War. Brave women share their dangers and their love while empires crumble.
One of the main characters is a Japanese fellow who is literally always thinking about having sex with white women.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
post your let's read here

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It's not funny bad, it's just bad bad.

If you ever want to read some pulp, just read any John Jakes novel. They're all basically the same with the names and setting changed.

Also there are a lot of them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

Hindsight is 20/20

For those of you not in the know, the final drive was a notorious weakness of the Panther.

How the hell do you fail to build a working hummel? It's a gun stuck on a tracked base. Just find a tank that works and strap a gun on it. it doesn't need to do anything fancy just be able to move.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm going to guess that figuring how to distribute weight over a chassis so it doesn't cause rapid breakdowns is a bit more complex than "strap gun to wheels".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm going to guess that figuring how to distribute weight over a chassis so it doesn't cause rapid breakdowns is a bit more complex than "strap gun to wheels".

I just... assume that if you have hitherto had a turret stuck on the chassis, it should be able to take an artillery piece just jammed in there without too much effort. It doesn't need to pivot or anything, just hold the gun and its inverted roaster dish armour.

Like if the Hungarians can strap two mig 21 engines to a T34 and keep it turreted, you should be able to find some way to stick a 150mm howitzer on top of a tank chassis.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

A really large mass which exists in a relatively small volume that comprises an artillery tube is going to create an awful lot of torque and forces where you dont want it going over bumpy ground as it swings left/right/up/down, that will break poo poo quite happily.

E:

OwlFancier posted:

I just... assume that if you have hitherto had a turret stuck on the chassis, it should be able to take an artillery piece just jammed in there without too much effort. It doesn't need to pivot or anything, just hold the gun and its inverted roaster dish armour.

Like if the Hungarians can strap two mig 21 engines to a T34 and keep it turreted, you should be able to find some way to stick a 150mm howitzer on top of a tank chassis.

The germans were having problems with their transmissions/drive trains generally due to material shortages, especially on new model tanks, i think the Hummel used a new chassis rather than using an existing one as well so there would be design flaws to work out on top of the material problems that already existed. Had they used the PZ 3/4 chassis maybe the problems would have been lessened but i couldnt say with any confidence.

Polyakov fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 27, 2016

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

feedmegin posted:

While this is true, I suspect the order was simply 'don't engage American frigates on your own', not 'don't engage these 5 frigates but that one is ok'. It's not like you'd be able to tell the difference at a distance, in any case.

This is true. The 38- and 44-gun American frigates were rigged alike so they would appear the same at long range, and even after they closed distance they also had 15 gunports to a side. It would be pretty hard to tell that they were just slightly oversized even from very close in, so I think the first indication that you'd bitten off more than you could chew would be when the shooting started and you realized from the range and the sound that they were shooting at you with 24-pounders.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

So the Holy Roman Empire and the Ottomans go to war - the result is a Ottoman victory which means lost face for the Emperor, but not a great deal of other consequences because the Ottomans get into it with the Persians at the same time. Actual consequences a little vague; castles are lost in Hungary, and Transylvania and its strategic Vampire supply is lost to the Ottomans.

Hey, I'm reading it too, on account of this thread.

Don't forget how awesomely nonsectarian Transylvania was for a minute there.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CMS posted:

Hey, I'm reading it too, on account of this thread.

Don't forget how awesomely nonsectarian Transylvania was for a minute there.

calvinist leader whose best friend was a jesuit, vassal of ottomans, calvinist hungarian nobility, common people lutherans, orthodox, catholics

fuzzy hats for all

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 27, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GAL posted:

Weren't there regular coronations in Aachen? I would have assumed there was something there at least.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Polyakov posted:

A really large mass which exists in a relatively small volume that comprises an artillery tube is going to create an awful lot of torque and forces where you dont want it going over bumpy ground as it swings left/right/up/down, that will break poo poo quite happily.

E:

The germans were having problems with their transmissions/drive trains generally due to material shortages, especially on new model tanks, i think the Hummel used a new chassis rather than using an existing one as well so there would be design flaws to work out on top of the material problems that already existed. Had they used the PZ 3/4 chassis maybe the problems would have been lessened but i couldnt say with any confidence.

The guy writing the report also complained that their PzIIIs all fell apart. Somehow, the Wespes (PzII chassis) were the most reliable.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I've been listening to Mike Duncan's Revolutions, and he's currently on the various Latin American wars of independence. I really don't have a good sense of the military picture. Could someone give a broad strokes overview of the Spanish colonial military? the the late 18th and early 19th centuries are what he's focused on, but I'd love to learn anything about the subject.

Thanks again for such a wonderful thread.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

I think you'll find that's good old fashioned tradition, papist scum

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Speaking of weird military naming conventions and bullshit, to the guy who thought just changing the lining of the Mark IV British army hemet was good enough to rename it the Mark V I speak from the heart of many past and present: gently caress you!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah but the runway blower T34 doesn't need to drive hundreds of miles. Just slapping some poo poo up there in a way that it will stay on and not explode works fine for a single-use vehicle that only ever has to move maybe a mile at a time. It also helps that they had god knows how many T34s in cold storage, so even if that one ate transmissions at the rate of one a week during the winter they genuinely didn't give a gently caress.

Trin Tragula posted:

:aaa: I learned a thing today :haw:

seriously, thank you for making naval ranks make some kind of sense holy poo poo

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

OwlFancier posted:

I genuinely want this to be an actual weapon of war. Just drive it up to some poor rear end in a top hat and leafblower him across the continent.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

spectralent posted:

I genuinely want this to be an actual weapon of war. Just drive it up to some poor rear end in a top hat and leafblower him across the continent.

That is exactly what it is used for, if I recall correctly.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

That is exactly what it is used for, if I recall correctly.

I believe its a firefighting vehicle, or drag racing taken to extremes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

One of the main characters is a Japanese fellow who is literally always thinking about having sex with white women.

Hey, it's me!