Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Count Bleck posted:

Hopefully this will also apply to Chandra because I really don't want to have my deck be 150 bucks specifically because I'm running two of her.

Honestly, if loot copter is in every deck I don't see chaandra doing all that well. Planeswalkers in general seem pretty meh in testing and that goes all the way down to new lily(arlin seems pretty gross though). Too much haste, come into play affects, and vehicles that pretty much blank sorcery speed interaction. Not that its going to be all that shocking, but everyone that pre-ordered her at 40+ has a high chance of looking pretty foolish.

If anything, this set looks a lot more aggressive with every deck that seems to pop up.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

As a control player, we have a tough situation in the new format. No 4cmc sweeper, no powerful draw spell (ie Sphynx's Revelation or DtT) and no Aetherling style 1 of finisher. I think if there are control decks in this meta they're going to be bloated midrange decks, dictated by board permanents (creatures, walkers, oaths etc) like we have seen recently, not "true" control. I love RtB and Painful Truths but they are NOT Revelation or DtT

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's a strong 5 mana sweeper and a good instant speed draw spell at 4 mana.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

When was the last time that kind of effect was playable? It's a far cry from Dig through time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly I think Control would want to stick Dovin down t4 and force them to commit more bodies to the board with his +1 moreso than they would want to spend their t4 drawing unless the countermagic is good enough right now that there's incentive to hold it up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SoftNum posted:

As a control player, we have a tough situation in the new format. No 4cmc sweeper, no powerful draw spell (ie Sphynx's Revelation or DtT) and no Aetherling style 1 of finisher. I think if there are control decks in this meta they're going to be bloated midrange decks, dictated by board permanents (creatures, walkers, oaths etc) like we have seen recently, not "true" control. I love RtB and Painful Truths but they are NOT Revelation or DtT

Thank god.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Thank god.

What do you have against control?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

What do you have against control?

Nothing but Rev was oppressive and unfun. Dtt was fine in standard though.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sphinx's Revelation is the most fun card that has ever been printed in magic.

Nephalia Drownyard is the second.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rinkles posted:

When was the last time that kind of effect was playable? It's a far cry from Dig through time.
Jace's Ingenuity was played alongside DTT and I think this is a lot better. The point about counters being poor is relevant but being able to hold up removal to see if they play something relevant could still matter.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

being able to hold up removal

:v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anybody been testing how awful Revolutionary Rebuff is (the pay 2 counter spell)?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Please tell me someone has Aether Meltdowned a Cultivator of Blades when someone went wide with it for the most majestic loving board wipe.

I want to believe.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

Please tell me someone has Aether Meltdowned a Cultivator of Blades when someone went wide with it for the most majestic loving board wipe.

I want to believe.

The Cultivator's controller can just choose not to give their creatures the "bonus".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BJPaskoff posted:

The Cultivator's controller can just choose not to give their creatures the "bonus".

Aww

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

Can't you cast the flash enchant during the blockers phase after the player has declared they are using it?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

AceClown posted:

Can't you cast the flash enchant during the blockers phase after the player has declared they are using it?

The trigger goes on the stack, and they decide whether or not their creatures get the pump during resolution. The ability also triggers and resolves on the declare attackers step, so if you give a 3/3 Cultivator -4/-0 in the declare blockers step, their creatures still have +3/+3.

This limited format is hell for people who don't know the stack, the difference between activated and triggered abilities, and the steps of combat. Way more than usual.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

This limited format is hell for people who don't know the stack, the difference between activated and triggered abilities, and the steps of combat. Way more than usual.
Agreed 100%.

Also, summoning sickness. People think I'm cheating when I tap my new vehicle for mana, but they can't attack with theirs.

To add to that prerelease is usually a perfect storm of less experienced/more casual players, new mechanics, and unfamiliar cards already.

odiv fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 27, 2016

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

"Strong" and "good" being relative terms here. If aggro is good, which it looks like it will be, then control has nothing. Because a turn five sweeper is a turn too late, even if it gives you a ton of life.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Radiant flames is still around. Turn 3 sweeper and all that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean Control was playable at most points in THS/KTK, which had worse wraths (End Hostilities/Crux, nothing at 4 mana) and a reasonable aggro deck. Then again that did have DTT.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

odiv posted:

Also, summoning sickness. People think I'm cheating when I tap my new vehicle for mana, but they can't attack with theirs.

Vehicles were super confusing for casuals, either they didn't get that summoning sickness applied to vehicles or didn't understand you could crew using summoning sick creatures.

Also everyone that pulled the consul flagship thought it could bolt the face

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

UW Sphinx's Revelation circa RTR/THS was one of the best standard-format draw-go decks ever, had an uncounterable 4 mana Wrath, a very strong card selection card in Jace, AOT, the strongest three-mana counter ever (Dissolve is way better than people realize because adding Scry 1 in control is excellent - that combined with Temples meant the deck was shaving lands for spells), and a ridiculously stabilizing card in Sphinx's Revelation.

It still frequently got bodied by Mutavault. Fumigate and Void Shatter (?) don't seem likely to cut it against 5 different manlands and practically every deck running Smuggler's Copter.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 27, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Radiant flames is still around. Turn 3 sweeper and all that.

also flaying tendrils, but I guess that doesn't kill 2/3s

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I like the Daily Magic Update on DailyMTG. It seems like Blake Rasmussen is allowed a little more freedom in what he can say than, say, Mark Rosewater. For example, they talk about the Post-Modern format and how disappointed people are in not banning Drake from Pauper. I don't know, it feels a little more personal and less corporate than the rest of the site.

There's also the new judge promos:

As someone who was nominated for his first Exemplar in wave 6, I really hope I get an Azusa and Mana Drain instead of a Defense of the Heart and Zur.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I like the Daily Magic Update on DailyMTG. It seems like Blake Rasmussen is allowed a little more freedom in what he can say than, say, Mark Rosewater. For example, they talk about the Post-Modern format and how disappointed people are in not banning Drake from Pauper. I don't know, it feels a little more personal and less corporate than the rest of the site.

There's also the new judge promos:

As someone who was nominated for his first Exemplar in wave 6, I really hope I get an Azusa and Mana Drain instead of a Defense of the Heart and Zur.

Get rewarded with shiny bulk rares!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Get rewarded with shiny bulk rares!

Hey, Zur has a cool Modern deck fucker :mad:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hey, Zur has a cool Modern deck fucker :mad:

I was wrong. Its going to be worth a cool 8 bucks. Go wild.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

I was so pleased when I got my two nominations for the wave that included Temporal Mastery, Shardless Agent, and Force of Will.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Was testing out a Naya Humans build on Xmage just now. Played a random dude who was on bant. I smoked him in game one with a voltaic brawler and two thalia's lieutenants. As game two starts he says he's going to quit because "There's no viable standard decks that don't require at least 10 cards from the new set".

I just wanted to finish out the match, so I didn't say anything back, but I couldn't help but laugh. Do people really get mad about new sets coming out?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elblanco posted:

Was testing out a Naya Humans build on Xmage just now. Played a random dude who was on bant. I smoked him in game one with a voltaic brawler and two thalia's lieutenants. As game two starts he says he's going to quit because "There's no viable standard decks that don't require at least 10 cards from the new set".

I just wanted to finish out the match, so I didn't say anything back, but I couldn't help but laugh. Do people really get mad about new sets coming out?

I am pretty sure there is at least one person who is butthurt about every single aspect of Magic, however petty.

What, 2/3 of the card pool changing causing decks to change? Who'd have thunk it?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I mean, different strokes, but I love when the new set makes new decks.

Why do I want to play the same deck with a minimal change?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

I am pretty sure there is at least one person who is butthurt about every single aspect of Magic, however petty.

What, 2/3 of the card pool changing causing decks to change? Who'd have thunk it?

This particular 1/3 that rotated out contained most of the top staples for the format as well.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, different strokes, but I love when the new set makes new decks.

Why do I want to play the same deck with a minimal change?

He was playing bant. So probably.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ThePeavstenator posted:

This particular 1/3 that rotated out contained most of the top staples for the format as well.

It's an exciting new world without Coco, Arf-Arf, or Languish! Why not try something new?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It's an exciting new world without Coco, Arf-Arf, or Languish! Why not try something new?

Winning out of nowhere with Aetherworks Marvel is just as exciting and fun for your opponents.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Angry Grimace posted:

Winning out of nowhere with Aetherworks Marvel is just as exciting and fun for your opponents.

Have you done any more testing on that UG Energy deck? I decided to try that out since everyone seems to be rushing towards R/W Vehicles.

Seems like getting out a T4 Ulamog/Emrakul is just about as brutal as standard can get.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
This was in the mothership daily update on the marvel deck Looks fun.

http://articles.mtgcardmarket.com/too-marvelous-for-words/

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

How consistent is the deck? Do you have a list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/JeffHoogland/status/780754111574618112

He probably isn't wrong.

SCG articles have been really poo poo come set release because almost all the articles are built around decklists which are made to sell cards.

• Locked thread