Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
View Results

• Locked thread
tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

my fav part was when the audience just started laughing at trump

where's a good clip of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

docbeard posted:

I was a little surprised that immigration wasn't so much as mentioned til Trump couldn't help shouting 800 PEOPLE WE WERE DEPORTING GOT MADE CITIZENS BY A CLERICAL ERROR AND MAYBE IT WAS ACTUALLY 1800 during a completely unrelated question.

His zero to mexico in under five seconds start was pretty funny though, especially seeing as he blamed mexico for the economy and job losses, but rather than pinning it on immigrants stealing jobs he somehow attributed it to mexico being better at infrastructure spending. But now that hillary has proven herself resistant to Trumping I cannot wait to hear them fight about the wall.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This debate is especially bad for Trump, because it blows away his one, big advantage - his 'aura of invincibility' he could use to intimidate people like Chris Christie. Now that he's been stumped, the magic is gone. And now that the magic is gone, the knives are gonna come out, from the rest of the GOP. Any serious player is going to see the writing on the wall, and they're going to want a slice of the post-Trumpocalyptic tactical action rpg.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

rudatron posted:

This debate is especially bad for Trump, because it blows away his one, big advantage - his 'aura of invincibility' he could use to intimidate people like Chris Christie. Now that he's been stumped, the magic is gone. And now that the magic is gone, the knives are gonna come out, from the rest of the GOP. Any serious player is going to see the writing on the wall, and they're going to want a slice of the post-Trumpocalyptic tactical action rpg.

I am so happy that ted cruz bent the knee mere days before this

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Wait who's ted cruz???? Thats not what i wrote....

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Seriously though I hate that trumped-up trickle down line so much that I'm sure I'm going to hear it all day long because the universe hates me

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

rudatron posted:

I doubt the lasting impression of this debate will be that Trump was stumped. This is the same sort of wishful thinking that has been posted all over the internet since December.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

I doubt the lasting impression of this debate will be that Trump was stumped. This is the same sort of wishful thinking that has been posted all over the internet since December.

Well now I'm sure of it.

Trump was stumped.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Well now I'm sure of it.

Trump was stumped.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Even the bobs are giving it up lol

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

jarofpiss posted:

it was pretty wild how clinton went through a whole speech about "what is donald hiding in his tax returns" and donald didn't bring up her wall street speeches because he was too busy doing rails off his podium lol

I was ready to say she lost that rhetorical point until Trump straight-up admitted to tax evasion. She was just throwing out wild speculation to see what stuck and that's distasteful to me, but Trump interrupting her to admit that he doesn't pay taxes was a huge :psyduck: moment.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

tankadillo posted:

my fav part was when the audience just started laughing at trump

where's a good clip of that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oyO6rNMzcA

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pakled posted:

I was ready to say she lost that rhetorical point until Trump straight-up admitted to tax evasion. She was just throwing out wild speculation to see what stuck and that's distasteful to me, but Trump interrupting her to admit that he doesn't pay taxes was a huge :psyduck: moment.

Thats because it wasnt wild speculation

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Pakled posted:

I think the "three possible reasons" tactic was particularly devastating for Trump because he is actually so afraid of revealing the first one, that he isn't as rich as he claims, that he will endorse the other options in order to distance himself from the first. His entire fortune is built on his ability to inspire investor confidence with his illusory success. If he is revealed to not be as rich as he claims or to mostly get by on crazy amounts of debt than he is done for.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

RandomPauI posted:

Trump explained the Ms. Piggy comment, so it's all good now.

https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/780726367860195328

trump is obese

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Thanks for calling in. This next tweet is from "baloogan" from the "Something Awful" forums, who writes, "peckerwood"

Sorry that you don't think the largest living voter age generation doesn't matter (it does and Hillary had been freaking out too late to court them thinking they were a gimme)

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm dreading that Town Hall. I've never liked a town hall debate in my life. It's always the worst people there. "Secretary Clinton, I am an unemployed factory worker. I was laid off eight years ago and recently I had to get surgery that I cannot pay for. What are you going to do to relieve medical burdens on middle class workers?"

Hey here's an idea, stupid: read up on democrats' platforms on health reform vs. the republicans' platforms, there's like 20 years worth of research about it. Ya dope.

Allright, that was a hypothetical. But you get the idea.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

fart blood posted:

I'm dreading that Town Hall. I've never liked a town hall debate in my life. It's always the worst people there. "Secretary Clinton, I am an unemployed factory worker. I was laid off eight years ago and recently I had to get surgery that I cannot pay for. What are you going to do to relieve medical burdens on middle class workers?"

That'd actually be a really good town hall question compared to the average

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

The Kingfish posted:

The only people saying Trump didn't get creamed are:

-Trump himself
-Trump's Campaign
-Trump die-hard supporters

Today I notice anyone who was heavily pro-Trump doesn't want to talk about the debate at all, or references online polls they know are bad but want to hedge against reality. The same way Vile/Boosted/etc. run away every time Trump does bad.

Atoramos has issued a correction as of 16:42 on Sep 27, 2016

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Atoramos posted:

The only people saying Trump didn't get creamed are:

-Trump himself
-Trump's Campaign
-Trump die-hard supporters

Today I notice anyone who was heavily pro-Trump doesn't want to talk about the debate at all, or references online polls they know are bad but want to hedge against reality. The same way Vile/Boosted/etc. run away every time Trump does bad.

Today everyone I know who's pro-Trump was onto the talking point "they both did bad"

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
In my experience, everyone always thinks their candidate won. When people are trying to call it a tie shows that their candidate performed very poorly.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

deadwing posted:

That'd actually be a really good town hall question compared to the average

It's still willfully ignorant though. 90% of the time, so many questions these people have can be answered if they just looked it up. The only reason they're asking the question is because they secretly hope one of them will say "I'll give you everything." It's frustrating.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

deadwing posted:

Today everyone I know who's pro-Trump was onto the talking point "they both did bad"

This. And a guy was furious about the moderators being supposed fact checkers. His argument was essentially that if Trump tells whoppers, so be it, winning is everything and it's Hillary's job to fact check her opponent.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

deadwing posted:

Let's be honest here: almost a third of America was tuned in watching Donald get loving creamed. While Trump supporters are going to have to spin things because the reality of the situation is unacceptable, there's simply too many people that tuned in.

This is why, regardless of how many online polls are mentioned, they won't matter. Donald still refused to shake Holt's hand. He walked away sour because the loss was just too obvious. Everyone knows he lost it, Trump included.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

fart blood posted:

Hey here's an idea, stupid: read up on democrats' platforms on health reform vs. the republicans' platforms, there's like 20 years worth of research about it. Ya dope.

Clinton's strength is actually retail person to person campaigning. She's good with issues and specific solutions to problems. The Town Hall format plays to her strengths as a candidate.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
At this point I'm not sure what format would be good for Donald Trump. Maybe if he had every single question beforehand and a teleprompter feeding him answers.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Reason posted:

At this point I'm not sure what format would be good for Donald Trump. Maybe if he had every single question beforehand and a teleprompter feeding him answers.

Honest answer is there's some chance the GOP could have ducked out of all four debates and it could have been better for polling than what just happened. I would be personally surprised if the next three debates go as planned.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Reason posted:

If he can make it to the third debate, that one could possibly be the "best" for him due to Chris Wallace moderating.

Wallace will go hard on Hillary and toss Trump softballs, and not do the Holt thing of asking follow up questions. By then, though, assuming he does just as bad in debate 2 (and he will), it won't matter anymore.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Atoramos posted:

Let's be honest here: almost a third of America was tuned in watching Donald get loving creamed. While Trump supporters are going to have to spin things because the reality of the situation is unacceptable, there's simply too many people that tuned in.

This is why, regardless of how many online polls are mentioned, they won't matter. Donald still refused to shake Holt's hand. He walked away sour because the loss was just too obvious. Everyone knows he lost it, Trump included.

From what I understand, Trump came back to shake Holt's hand afterwards, he just went to talk to someone on his campaign first. Also, he said in one of the post-debate interviews that he thought Holt was very fair (because Trump's far enough up his own rear end he probably believed he won it in the immediate aftermath). He'll probably be singing a different tune today though.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm actually curious about the VP Debate. I hope Kaine can make Pence look like a fool.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

docbeard posted:

I was a little surprised that immigration wasn't so much as mentioned til Trump couldn't help shouting 800 PEOPLE WE WERE DEPORTING GOT MADE CITIZENS BY A CLERICAL ERROR AND MAYBE IT WAS ACTUALLY 1800 during a completely unrelated question.

I liked that his basic point there was "instead of deporting those motherfuckers WE ALLOWED THEM TO BECOME CITIZENS WHAT THE gently caress???"

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

fart blood posted:

It's still willfully ignorant though. 90% of the time, so many questions these people have can be answered if they just looked it up. The only reason they're asking the question is because they secretly hope one of them will say "I'll give you everything." It's frustrating.

The debates aren't for us. They're for dipshitty motherfucker undecideds who can't do any more research than watch TV for four and a half hours every campaign cycle.

Strappleberry
Dec 9, 2003

Come back to the parking lot

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

fart blood posted:

Nah, it'll be more like, "Secretary Clinton, I am an unemployed factory worker. I was laid off eight years ago and recently I had to get surgery that I cannot pay for. Why did you use a private email server when you were Secretary of State?"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lemming posted:

*internally screaming*

*as well as externally screaming*

I wish I could go back in time and comfort my past self

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

deadwing posted:

The debates aren't for us. They're for dipshitty motherfucker undecideds who can't do any more research than watch TV for four and a half hours every campaign cycle.

Hi, yes, that's me, hello

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

jarofpiss posted:

it was pretty wild how clinton went through a whole speech about "what is donald hiding in his tax returns" and donald didn't bring up her wall street speeches because he was too busy doing rails off his podium lol

I think it owns how you can be like "maybe trump didn't release them because he's not really rich or maybe it's because he's donating half his income to NAMBLA" and he'll go "uh actually I'm rich as all hell"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Secretary Clinton, I am an unemployed factory worker. I was laid off eight years ago and recently I had to get surgery that I cannot pay for. Why did you abandon those men to die in Benghazi?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

deadwing posted:

Usually I'd say they're more about setting media narratives around who 'won' but this time a ton of people actually tuned in so who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
https://twitter.com/GroverNorquist/status/780601603338465280

e:
https://twitter.com/GroverNorquist/status/780605136670425092

Jeb Bush 2012 has issued a correction as of 17:14 on Sep 27, 2016

• Locked thread