Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

youcallthatatwist posted:

My issue with what I've seen of Color Splash's writing is how snarky and cynical it is. TTYD's brilliance was that it basically took the weird-as-gently caress mushroom kingdom mooks and asked "Okay but what are these peoples' day-to-day lives like?" Meanwhile, Color Splash has stuff like a steroids joke, a torture joke, and an out-of-touch reference to the loving Watergate scandal, and that kind of stuff just doesn't interest me.
I'm sure it isn't horrible, though. I might give it a shot if the reviews are decent.
Just out of curiosity, for the people playing it: are the settings more diverse than Sticker Star, or is it just "normal world desert world ice world etc." again?

I'm only about halfway through the second set of levels, so far the settings have been more about what's going on at the setting than us "type" I guess. Like, a fairly ordinary road level that turns out to be a trap where they try to roll the level over you, a beach where toads are on spring break, a paleontological dig site, a mountain climb where you're looking for a guru, a sewer level where finding the white spots to color in cash be Roku challenging and you are gathering the purple toad squad, saving them from various groups of enemies, a lake level, forest everything has been turned giant by magikoopa, a big tower.

I'm not sure what diverse settings you're really looking for though, "grassland", Beach, castle, sewer, mountain, lake, dig site, these are all places that exist. I'm sure there's probably lava and ice at some point, and a ghost hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
The dialogue itself doesn't bother me as much since it's been snarky ever since TTYD, though I hope they can carry the humor in place of a deluge of "we're in a paper world" jokes

I'm one of the few who's been turned around on Color Splash's existence, honestly, and based on the footage and spoilers I've seen, I get the feeling it might turn out alright

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's this weird subplot that's like the end of wet hot American summer with these five toads that promised to meet each other after many years on this rooftop once some seeds they planted grow.

Throughout the game if you keep going back suddenly another one will show up and start waxing poetic about the leader of their group of friends and the first time they met and how great a guy he was while sappy nostalgic music plays. I can't wait to see what the payoff is.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

From what I've seen, Color Splash looks absolutely amazing and hilarious, and I loved TTYD

Lots of people have stupid little hangups about the series. But I think there's only two things that Sticker Star did REALLY wrong: much less NPC banter, and terrible boss gimmick. I don't need unique NPC designs THAT bad, though they'd be nice; and Color Splash seems to deliver on the writing front (though nothing will ever beat Bowser from TTYD...). I've always been a fan of the rather mean-spirited humor that shines through in TTYD and SPM, so I hope there's tons of that. Also, I think Sticker Star greatly improved upon TTYD (and ESPECIALLY SPM) by having genuinely well-designed environments with fun paper shenanigans! The levels were gorgeous, amazing and well-thought out. Not so much the battle system, but it never bothered me. Who knows, with this iteration, I might even have lots of fun with it.

I wish Color Splash would've stayed with the more unique style from TTYD/SPM - did we really need to Pokey/Koopa/etc. redesigns? And why did you fire Kammy Koopa?! -, but I acknowledge that that's just nostalgia. Let's see what Color Splash does with this. From the trailers alone, it already has much more of an identity than Sticker Star.

I can't believe I'm trying to be reasonable about a Paper Mario game, I'm basically the worst

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Kammy Koopa died from internal injuries after the end of the last game she was in.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think if they want to roll with just using original Mario characters that's completely workable, but they should go nuts with it. Why not have Wario be the antagonist for a chapter? Have chapter 7 end up at Rosalina's Observatory. I've been looking at streams and the writing is definitely there in this game, but it'd just be nice to have it with less generic NPCs.

It's not like anything more than a small minority would've picked anybody else if someone like Luigi was a usable partner in Paper Mario anyways.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 27, 2016

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

From what I've seen, Color Splash looks absolutely amazing and hilarious, and I loved TTYD

Lots of people have stupid little hangups about the series. But I think there's only two things that Sticker Star did REALLY wrong: much less NPC banter, and terrible boss gimmick. I don't need unique NPC designs THAT bad, though they'd be nice; and Color Splash seems to deliver on the writing front (though nothing will ever beat Bowser from TTYD...). I've always been a fan of the rather mean-spirited humor that shines through in TTYD and SPM, so I hope there's tons of that. Also, I think Sticker Star greatly improved upon TTYD (and ESPECIALLY SPM) by having genuinely well-designed environments with fun paper shenanigans! The levels were gorgeous, amazing and well-thought out. Not so much the battle system, but it never bothered me. Who knows, with this iteration, I might even have lots of fun with it.

I wish Color Splash would've stayed with the more unique style from TTYD/SPM - did we really need to Pokey/Koopa/etc. redesigns? And why did you fire Kammy Koopa?! -, but I acknowledge that that's just nostalgia. Let's see what Color Splash does with this. From the trailers alone, it already has much more of an identity than Sticker Star.

I can't believe I'm trying to be reasonable about a Paper Mario game, I'm basically the worst

Being better than Sticker Star is such a low bar to set. I'll be waiting for Color Splash to hit a BOGO/SAmart used sale, the Paper series has completely lost my confidence.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

Being better than Sticker Star is such a low bar to set. I'll be waiting for Color Splash to hit a BOGO/SAmart used sale, the Paper series has completely lost my confidence.

Same here, unless word of mouth winds up super positive on it I won't be picking it up within the next month at least.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Word of mouth is super positive though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

greatn posted:

Word of mouth is super positive though.

I've heard "it's better than expected" and "good overworld stuff, good music, good writing, awful battle mechanics", and that's from a pretty small sample size. I'd like to get some goon impressions and impressions from others once the game's out before I decide on picking it up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SylvainMustach posted:

It's like the game is actively discouraging me from buying it

hahahaha, seriously?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

raditts posted:

hahahaha, seriously?
Wouldn't want to buy a game that's one tickle torture scene away from AO.

What's Super Paper Mario like?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Super Paper Mario is a bad Mario game and a garbage tier Paper Mario game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Fez is a ripoff of super paper Mario.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

greatn posted:

Fez is a ripoff of super paper Mario.

Fez is a ripoff at any price.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

elf help book posted:

I liked fez :colbert:
It doesn't use the 3D gimmick that well but it's pretty and relaxing.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

raditts posted:

hahahaha, seriously?

Yea the more jokes I see the more I realize that I won't be entertained by it.

Edit: the selling point of the game seems to be the writing and humor (rather than the gameplay) and it misses the mark for me there.

I do sort of want it because it looks really nice but every time I see another joke i realize that I'll probably get real bored

SylvainMustach fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 27, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A couple of one's I liked.

"That Bowser tape is unbelievably sticky. I've got to go wash my face off. Well, not wash my face OFF, that would be horrifying!"

"This bridge is out. You're going to need a bridge expert to fix it. And trust me, I'm a guy who knows guys who know bridges."

"It's a bridge, get over it."

"This is in my top forty waterwheels. And before you ask, YES, I have seen more than forty."

"How long was I out? I just had a terrible dream my sawmill was taken over by a guy named Wart"

These are all paraphrased of course

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Goddamnit

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

greatn posted:

ahahahahahahaha oh god

still not down with that game for reasons i dare not mention again lest goons lose their poo poo and i get the probation for it for some reason again, but that one's good

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
By the way, I've been reading the game aloud because I've been playing it with my three year old son, and I have Huey the same voice as Meowth. So when you're playing the game, do that.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

greatn posted:

A couple of one's I liked.

"That Bowser tape is unbelievably sticky. I've got to go wash my face off. Well, not wash my face OFF, that would be horrifying!"

"This bridge is out. You're going to need a bridge expert to fix it. And trust me, I'm a guy who knows guys who know bridges."

"This is in my top forty waterwheels. And before you ask, YES, I have seen more than forty."

"How long was I out? I just had a terrible dream my sawmill was taken over by a guy named Wart"

These are all paraphrased of course

Good game is good

"B-b-but they said "fam!" :qq:" nobody cares shut the gently caress up

Boten Anna posted:

ahahahahahahaha oh god

still not down with that game for reasons i dare not mention again lest goons lose their poo poo and i get the probation for it for some reason again, but that one's good

that is really dumb

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

elf help book posted:

I'm not sure how a person sees a $15 competent indie puzzle platformer with the best sound track in all of video games and calls it a rip off unless they have weird baggage about Phil Fish.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

I'm not sure how a person sees a $15 competent indie puzzle platformer with the best sound track in all of video games and calls it a rip off unless they have weird baggage about Phil Fish.

but if fez is good then japanese games are actually bad. its science

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

bloodychill posted:

if you miss a jump you respawn back on the platformer you jumped off of, fez is not a platformer it's a visual novel

also hearing that the toad teams in colour splash actually do fulfill the partner character role and continue talking / having dialogue throughout the entire game (and not just only in the few scenes shown in those promotional videos) means i will give it a shot when its out.

even if the sticker based combat is shittier then the original paper mario combat, its still better then super paper mario's combat system with a awful platformer awful use/nonuse of acceleration and awful jumps

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bloodychill posted:

QR code "puzzles"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

BillmasterCozb posted:

QR code "puzzles"

Yeah, Pushmo was awesome. We could share all sorts of stages we made before Miiverse was even a thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Huey is a good partner, too. Speaks up a lot, good personality, just a poo poo ton better than the sticker crown lady whose name I can't recall. Definitely better than geometric shape from SPM too. Comparable to Goombario I'd say.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

https://twitter.com/NintendoNYC/status/780875784399441920

Let the speculation commence even more.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

They could have worded that tweet so much better. They're apparently preparing the second floor for the Yokai Watch launch event.

unless they aren't :aaaaa:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

They should allow people to book weddings and bar mitzvahs at the nintendo store

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Nintendo NY is obviously a totally different thing.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I love that there are apparently people who think that Nintendo would announce the NX on a Saturday morning.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

but if fez is good then japanese games are actually bad. its science

And with the kind of accuracy only matched by the replication of the experiment to prove the speed of light is a constant, we get to see the usual

zolthorg posted:

if you miss a jump you respawn back on the platformer you jumped off of, fez is not a platformer it's a visual novel

weird :psyduck:

BillmasterCozb posted:

QR code "puzzles"

baggage :stare:

You don't have to strangely whine about the game you never played because the guy who made it said something dumb about Japanese devs and had a twitter meltdown. It's ok to just not. I'm giving you permission.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

bloodychill posted:

And with the kind of accuracy only matched by the replication of the experiment to prove the speed of light is a constant, we get to see the usual

weird :psyduck:

You don't have to strangely whine about the game you never played because the guy who made it said something dumb about Japanese devs and had a twitter meltdown. It's ok to just not. I'm giving you permission.

Maybe he legit didn't like the game?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I've played it and don't like it at all and don't care about Phil Fish but the Xbox One has the Wrong Ram.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Your defense of it is that it's competent. Competent is poo poo. You just want to lay insults on people, gently caress off.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The first time I loaded up Fez it crashed before the actual fake crash and I didn't load it up a second time.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Phantasium posted:

The first time I loaded up Fez it crashed before the actual fake crash and I didn't load it up a second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phantasium posted:

It did a fake crash? Like Metal Gear Solid did 15 years ago?

• Locked thread