Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Colter's line readings are surprisingly subdued--even on the one liners after he's just caught a bullet he's still this good hearted guy who's been beat up and mistreated and is so used to trying to keep his down, but he's learning to be a real badass.

I like it so far and I hope it works through the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That final moment in the trailer was more fun and more honest to the character then basically any part of daredevil or JJ. They fuckin' nailed Luke Cage so goddamn hard holy poo poo.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
"You don't have enough people." :black101:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mover posted:

Colter's line readings are surprisingly subdued--even on the one liners after he's just caught a bullet he's still this good hearted guy who's been beat up and mistreated and is so used to trying to keep his down, but he's learning to be a real badass.

I like it so far and I hope it works through the series.

I like that he keeps the INGs at the end of words in statements like "I'm just getting started." so it comes off as more matter of fact and less like bragging or threats.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Pretty sure that's Stan Lee on the poster. Awesome.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They haven't addressed it in dialogue but Netflix Stan Lee is some kind of high-up police official, like a commissioner or something. He's on the wall of police stations in both.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I enjoyed the previous Marvel series very much, especially Jessica Jones, and will be very happy if this is anywhere near as good as those

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Abner Assington posted:

And bonus Method Man cameo at the end!

That was so, so good.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, okay, I'm officially hyped for this.

:dance:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

They haven't addressed it in dialogue but Netflix Stan Lee is some kind of high-up police official, like a commissioner or something. He's on the wall of police stations in both.

MCU Stan Lee has had like a dozen or so jobs since 2008 AND has been to space. Dude gets around.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

notthegoatseguy posted:

MCU Stan Lee has had like a dozen or so jobs since 2008 AND has been to space. Dude gets around.

They're all brothers, it's like the nurse from Pokemon

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Guy Goodbody posted:

They're all brothers, it's like the nurse from Pokemon

Or Patton Oswalt in Agents of SHIELD

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eh! Frank posted:

Or Patton Oswalt in Agents of SHIELD

Ehh, I think the Koenig's work more like DBZ capsule cars.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If cottonmouth didn't show every sign of being a diet kingpin I would be much more hyped.

Even so if it's got any more of that poo poo at the end of the trailer, I won't care. That's the kind of poo poo live action superhero stuff needs a lot more of. A lot more of. They could cut out 1/3 or more of the fights and pompous grandstanding plot crap and no one would even care if it was filled with humanizing poo poo like that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm interested in the idea that Luke Cage is going to be a more publicly known super hero. I think that's gonna be a neat twist on the formula, that locals know who he is and support his super heroing

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

mind the walrus posted:

If cottonmouth didn't show every sign of being a diet kingpin I would be much more hyped.

Even so if it's got any more of that poo poo at the end of the trailer, I won't care. That's the kind of poo poo live action superhero stuff needs a lot more of. A lot more of. They could cut out 1/3 or more of the fights and pompous grandstanding plot crap and no one would even care if it was filled with humanizing poo poo like that.

:agreed:

I hope the B plot / stuff not shown in the trailers are good because this just looks like another origin story.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm interested in the idea that Luke Cage is going to be a more publicly known super hero. I think that's gonna be a neat twist on the formula, that locals know who he is and support his super heroing

For live action, yeah. It's a pretty shopworn formula in comics with a lot of latitude. It's surprisingly tough to gently caress up.

The real question it's whether or not the characters and plot are engaging enough that you aren't watching solely to see the downtime moments. It doesn't matter if it's original or not as long as it is done well, and while this looks good it's giving me that same "strangely uncompelling" vibe that has marred all the Netflix series so far.

I say this not as a negative naysayer. Just shooting straight and hoping for the best. Luke Cage is the series I've been most excited for and will probably be most forgiving of.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Abner Assington posted:

Final Luke Cage trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snJ-nRgx8o0

Synopsis: :drat: times a million.

Glad to see Johnny Blaze finally in the MCU :v:

Also are we going to get a motion poster like we got for DD and JJ?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Abner Assington posted:

Final Luke Cage trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snJ-nRgx8o0

Synopsis: :drat: times a million.

Sweet Christmas!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
No Punisher or Purple Man. I am so ready for this.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

One of my favorite bits in that trailer was one of the robbers at the end being like "Oh snap, you're Luke Ca-" before getting backhanded.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I would take every word of negativity back if that Damage Control show got greenlit and their first case was this window.

Talk about wanting things inside me. I still theorycraft a DC show or movie.

And it

is

AWESOME!

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Method Man so fuckin' pumped about having superhero memorabilia. :3:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMvMgsUOmXk
Short video on how they use Harlem for the show

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Alright everyone, don't forget the posting rules!

X-O posted:

:siren: Netflix Rules Update! :siren:

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours. If you haven't gotten to that episode then don't click on the spoiler. This is just a trial for Daredevil and if it doesn't work we'll just go back to the old way from now on. And now an example post:

So far the show is good. I enjoy this show so far through episode 10. It is a fine television program.

1x10
The thing that happens in this episode certainly happened. And how it tied back into what they were saying in episode 3 was definitely a cool thing. I think the villain that appeared in this episode and did the villainy thing was bad. He should be punched by the Daredevil and have to go to jail.

The 1x10 is just the episode you're up to. You can write all about episode four if you want, but if you let something slip that came out later and you forget and it maybe happened in episode six that's why you still put episode 10 and not episode 4. Get it? Hope it works. And if not sorry!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What time does this go up? Midnight PST tonight?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

They usually go up midnight eastern.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

feedmyleg posted:

Just read an article saying it will be available at 12:01 AM PDT.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I finally finished JJ in anticipation for Luke Cage, and hoo boy even after That Line JJ season one sure does have some pee arr oh bee ell em es PROBLEMS. Episodes 10 and 11, in particular, feel completely unnecessary and 10 is some outright bad television.

Ends well though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I still can't believe you went through that bellyaching and never even finished it

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe the whole things a subtle pun on the word 'Luke' ?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The villain seems really generic after Kingpin and Kilgrave, so it seems weird to play him up at all. And DD and JJ suffered from having such dominant villains that I hope they're avoiding that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMvMgsUOmXk
Short video on how they use Harlem for the show

It does pretty much own how Netflix spent big money actually shooting on location in NYC for Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrAristocrates posted:

I still can't believe you went through that bellyaching and never even finished it

I saw six episodes. That's more than enough to make an informed opinion.

Also, the reason I didn't finish it was because of its failures, not in spite of them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Also, the reason I didn't finish it was because of its failures, not in spite of them.

I can understand and even respect that. You, however, have repeatedly criticized things like the pacing of the latter half despite not actually having seen any of those episodes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

etalian posted:

It does pretty much own how Netflix spent big money actually shooting on location in NYC for Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.
It really wouldn't have been the same on some soundstage in LA. You can always tell when it isn't actually NYC. Everything isn't lived in and spaced much farther apart to allow for bigger camera crews.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And how. I had high hopes for JJ but two episodes with Krysten Ritter was enough to make me "nope" the gently caress out. She's the only genuine miscasting I've seen Marvel Studios make.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrAristocrates posted:

I can understand and even respect that. You, however, have repeatedly criticized things like the pacing of the latter half despite not actually having seen any of those episodes.

I've literally never criticized any aspect of the latter half of JJ before now. I made specifically sure I only criticized parts I actually saw, for the obvious reason that I never saw it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've literally never criticized any aspect of the latter half of JJ before now. I made specifically sure I only criticized parts I actually saw, for the obvious reason that I never saw it.

Yes you have. You've done so in other threads and talked about how character arcs didn't pay off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Yes you have. You've done so in other threads and talked about how character arcs didn't pay off.

I went looking for it and couldn't find it but yeah, this.

Even if it's in the context of "I heard this" instead of "I saw this" I still think it's kind of bullshit.