Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I suggested in CSPAM that Baloogan should make a CMANO scenario where Trump blows up an Iranian destroyer for no good reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

StashAugustine posted:

I suggested in CSPAM that Baloogan should make a CMANO scenario where Trump blows up an Iranian destroyer for no good reason

And the ensuing war.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Add "Taunting" to the database as a visual range projectile weapon that does no damage

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Goetta posted:

Add "Taunting" to the database as a visual range projectile weapon that does no damage

No, add in an Ego damage type that does nothing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

Vaguely surprised that none of you grogs picked up on Trump insulting the noble B-52 and its role in our defense arsenal. Given that it's the most successful airframe in history that is projected to continue use up to 2040.
It's a tremendous plane, truly a great airframe, and I admire a rare case of the government keeping spending its money wisely, but in 2016? Come on. The Russians in a Tu-22M run rings around that old bird!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

jBrereton posted:

It's a tremendous plane, truly a great airframe, and I admire a rare case of the government keeping spending its money wisely, but in 2016? Come on. The Russians in a Tu-22M run rings around that old bird!

Isn't the Tu-22M about the same age as the B-52H? Or is that the joke?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Thanks for this, the article I used to have must have been based on this guy's work since it also referenced the Canadian officer surveys.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

I've kinda wanted to make a set of scenarios set during the Trump Administration.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Just avoid the temptation to editorialize.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Davin Valkri posted:

Isn't the Tu-22M about the same age as the B-52H? Or is that the joke?

They're close - maiden B-52 flight was Apr 15 1952, maiden Tu-22 flight was Jun 21 1958

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Isn't one of the Live scenarios that?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

ZombieLenin posted:

This is 100% true. So the military spent a lot of money on psychological analytics designing modern basic training, which is specifically aimed at upping the dehumanizations and increasing the in-group ("stolen valor!!") bullshit to increase the number of soldiers willing to shoot their weapons at people.

Still, I've got a good friend who is a retired Marine who served in Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan and he basically told me that most people do everything they can to avoid actually having to kill people--even people trying to kill them. He says in the first 5 or 6 firefights he was in he'd intentionally shoot low or high with the aim of scaring the bad guy away rather than shoot to kill.

According to him it's really difficult for a rifleman to take a bead on someone and pull the trigger, but it's a lot different using indirect fire or direct explosive fire where you can pretend it wasn't people you just blew to pieces.

Edit

The bonus with this, I would argue, is the sharp increase in PTSD following the Second World War. Without any analytic to really back it up, knowing a bit about human behavior, the more soldiers you convince to shoot to kill, the more soldiers actually take people's lives. And for normal non-sociopaths this act really really fucks with your head in a traumatic way.

I don't know that it's really non-sociopaths. I think it is for people who have been trained by their culture/society to value life.

It would be interesting to look into research as to the incidence of PTSD across different cultures and societies. For example, did WWII Japan have as many PTSD cases from killing other humans (as opposed to watching your friends get blown up) as we have now?

It's armchair psychology, but I really do think there is something to the notion that the Mongols probably did not get mass PTSD from creating their skull pyramids. I think it is something Western society forgets - not every culture/society values life in quite the same way.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Flippycunt posted:

I wish I still had a link to this article that did a step-by-step refutation of SLA Marshall theories since this topic would come up occasionally but I've lost it unfortunately. Basically though the whole thing is one of those "reality is stranger than fiction" moments in history.

So during/after WW2 SLA Marshall gets the go-ahead to come in and conduct interviews with combat troops, and comes to the conclusion that only 25% of American/Canadian service men fired their weapons in combat with the intention of hitting anything. Then bizarrely this was just accepted at face-value by the US military without any real scrutiny. Only later did anyone go back and try to discover what methodology Marshall used to come up with these numbers, the answer being: "none that can be discerned". So despite the fact that there are essentially no reports from US/Canadian officers mentioning that 75% of their men were basically combat ineffective and Marshall having little/no notes or statistics that could be used to verify any of his conclusions the most powerful military in the world completely changed their training regimen based on his work anyway.

So, Marshall's number might be off, but from my reading, it's not an out of line phenomenon, and it's off base to call a soldier not adequately shooting at the enemy "combat ineffective". There are a lot of things officers during the war did learn about how their men did, and one of the common elements in field remedial training in the US during 1944, for example, was getting soldiers to shoot area targets rather than simply waiting for a visible target to shoot. There are reports of soldiers lacking in a bunch of basic skills and not really shooting enough, though the motive can be difficult to discern.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Drone posted:

Vaguely surprised that none of you grogs picked up on Trump insulting the noble B-52 and its role in our defense arsenal. Given that it's the most successful airframe in history that is projected to continue use up to 2040.

We need a newer bomber to deliver the nuclear bombs that the B-52 now currently deploys.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Let's get the F-35 people on it, because that turned out well right

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Obama to unveil groundbreaking new 'No first-use when it is raining" policy

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Drone posted:

Just weld four F-35s together and you get a four engine heavy bomber with about the same combined payload

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 27, 2016

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Haha the developer comments on some of the simulation limits in CoaDE (yes it has a grog acronym now) are gold.

quote:

Information on nuclear payload explosive lenses appears to be rather classified and the author was unable to find proper equations for that part of nuclear weaponry, so the equations used are fictional and probably end with the author on some sort of watchlist.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Panzeh posted:

So, Marshall's number might be off, but from my reading, it's not an out of line phenomenon, and it's off base to call a soldier not adequately shooting at the enemy "combat ineffective". There are a lot of things officers during the war did learn about how their men did, and one of the common elements in field remedial training in the US during 1944, for example, was getting soldiers to shoot area targets rather than simply waiting for a visible target to shoot. There are reports of soldiers lacking in a bunch of basic skills and not really shooting enough, though the motive can be difficult to discern.

Combat is seriously goddamn confusing and terrifying and maintaining the presence of mind to respond appropriately is something that takes lots of training and discipline. My experience is that the opening phase of a firefight is all muscle memory and conscious thought takes awhile to kick in and it's amazing how you can physically carry on when your mind is running circles chanting gently caress. Basically there's a lot less intentional action than you would think and attributing exact motives to even your own actions can be difficult.

The Grossman explanation of all the weapons jammed with unfired shot from the Civil War as intentional moral action is obviously less likely then poorly trained panicking soldiers being unable to discern if their weapons were actually firing and just mindlessly repeating their firing drills

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
My favorite thing atm in CoaDE is matching the orbit of a hostile fleet, but going retrograde, so every few hours we zoooooom past eachother landing a few hits. Half disabled warships pecking away

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Just weld four F-35s together and you get a four engine heavy bomber with about the same combined payload

Doesn't the f-35 engine have a ludicrous thrust to weight ratio? Maybe that wouldn't be that bad an idea.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

e: wrong thread

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
So I just went back and read dtkozl's Final Blitzkrieg LP that I missed and rediscovered the joy of goon versus goon Combat Mission. Then I went back and read Grey Hunter's Black Sea LP and was reminded of the collective blueballs of planning for weeks only for the battle to end before it really began. It gave me Ideas.

Would there be any interest if I were to set up a participatory Black Sea LP in the near future? I've been messing around with the scenario designer and really want to see a joint Ukrainian/American force fight a Russian one.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Obviously I'm dizzown.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Generation Internet posted:

So I just went back and read dtkozl's Final Blitzkrieg LP that I missed and rediscovered the joy of goon versus goon Combat Mission. Then I went back and read Grey Hunter's Black Sea LP and was reminded of the collective blueballs of planning for weeks only for the battle to end before it really began. It gave me Ideas.

Would there be any interest if I were to set up a participatory Black Sea LP in the near future? I've been messing around with the scenario designer and really want to see a joint Ukrainian/American force fight a Russian one.

DA TOVARISH

THE RED ARMY MSV REQUIRES REPRESENTATION

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I'm in.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Would this be Goons vs. Goons, Goons vs. One Goon, or Goons vs. AI?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

Would this be Goons vs. Goons, Goons vs. One Goon, or Goons vs. AI?

Goons vs. Goons is my preference, the human element is what makes it interesting.

I'm playing around with different scenarios and trying to find a good balance in an inherently asymmetrical game, but right now I'm thinking predefined force selections on a large map with mixed objectives. I'm also wondering how granular control should be since Black Sea is way deadlier than the WWII games, I think the smallest command should be platoon level so people can keep their units in the game longer. The Ukrainian and Russian players would probably end up controlling more units than the Americans, too. I'm also leaning towards an infantry-heavy force selection to try and minimize cross-map tank duels. Most infantry would come in transports, but nothing with an auto-cannon so they ideally have less of an impact on the fight than the squads they transport.

The hardest part is trying to anticipate how goons will end up using their forces :v:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
While Combat Mission is a bad game the LPs are always popular, if you're up for the ~~~stress~~~ go for it.

At face value jesus christ how is a Russian force supposed to actually fight yankee tanks in that but you own the game and I don't.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Overwhelming numbers, luck, terrain advantages, and surprise.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

While Combat Mission is a bad game the LPs are always popular, if you're up for the ~~~stress~~~ go for it.

At face value jesus christ how is a Russian force supposed to actually fight yankee tanks in that but you own the game and I don't.

It's going to be a significantly more controlled environment than "here's 50,000 points, go hog wild!"

Some of the benefits of making a custom scenario instead of a quick-battle are that you can mix American and Ukrainian forces and you can set how much ammo units start with, which should hopefully make it much easier to balance the two sides against each other.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Yessssssssss.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I would love a CM LP, and yes, the key is to make sure it's crafted so as to have forces that make sense.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Yes! I'm down in a heartbeat.

It's going to be a significantly more controlled environment than "here's 50,000 points, go hog wild!"

Some of the benefits of making a custom scenario instead of a quick-battle are that you can mix American and Ukrainian forces and you can set how much ammo units start with, which should hopefully make it much easier to balance the two sides against each other.

Instead of balancing by removing classes of weapons from the scenario, I think it would be more interesting if you selected a map where the terrain (and some smart play) negated the advantages of certain weapons.

For example, instead of avoiding vehicles with autocannons (which is 90% of the infantry carriers in-game), you could pick a map that has a built-up area, which would reward the defending side for defending the city with close-in ambushes, at ranges where autocannons aren't so OP.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Don't include urban environment in a participatory LP. You would regret it.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

abelian posted:

Instead of balancing by removing classes of weapons from the scenario, I think it would be more interesting if you selected a map where the terrain (and some smart play) negated the advantages of certain weapons.

For example, instead of avoiding vehicles with autocannons (which is 90% of the infantry carriers in-game), you could pick a map that has a built-up area, which would reward the defending side for defending the city with close-in ambushes, at ranges where autocannons aren't so OP.

The only issue with most built up maps in the game is that they're tiny because of the horrible optimized engine that can't handle too many buildings at once. Right now my top two map picks are a 4.5x3.5km map with a mix of forest, hills, open spaces, and villages but no real built up areas, or a 1.6x2.4km mostly urban map with a bit of room for flanking. A majority of the other maps are tiny little boxes. I may just draft a scenario that allows for either and put it to a vote when I post the thread.

Nenonen posted:

Don't include urban environment in a participatory LP. You would regret it.

This is also a consideration, especially on a big urban map it'll get a bit crazy trying to keep track of which buildings have windows facing a given direction.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Also because if you have narrow streets and alleys it becomes hard to tell what each unit can see or if a vehicle can trace line of fire on a building. This is manageable when playing by yourself, but all that information is impossible to convey through forum posts turn after turn for every unit on map.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Don't pick a "city" map because those are guaranteed 2FPS.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Black Sea goon versus goon thread is up!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792422

This is way bigger than the last time I ran a game, so I'm slightly nervous about getting enough people to fill all the spaces. It should be easy enough to adjust the forces down if we don't get enough, but feel free to spread the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Okay so after sinking far too many hours into Children of a Dead Earth yesterday here are some impressions.

First up, this game is good, really good but has its limitations. If you liked Orbiter or KSP you'll probably like this and anyone with a passing interest in realistic space combat should probably check it out.

Basically you have the orbital map which runs in 'turns' which are X amount of time depending on which button you press (similar to aurora). It autopauses for events etc. Once hostile units close enough you are dropped into a tactical battle where you give your ships orders. Its the view where you see all the screenshots of ships fighting etc in. Orders are fairly simplistic and the units largely fight themselves with a lot been determined by the relative closing velocities etc.

Major complaints are missiles/drones are very finickitey and require a lot of manual clicking, also the launch interface is unnecessarily buried away in the tactical view so you have to go diving into that whenever you want to launch a salvo. Finally missile final target behavior is kind of hosed, they seem to aim for spots past the ship or behind it (something weird with them using IR sensors?) and so even sending loads of missiles at a target it can be a struggle to get a kill as the usually go off behind it and smash up the engine/rear but leave it otherwise largely intact.

Still Its super satisfying to set up an orbit with some commedically high closing velocity like and launch some shrapnel missiles on flyby so they detonate and 10kps shrapnel turns any ship into swiss cheese.