Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I'm new to this game and playing a character I started when very briefly trying it previously. Am I missing out by not playing in essence league? My first character is up to act 3 on cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Having act 4 be mandatory only once per character will be great. gently caress you, The Harvest.

Peewi posted:

I'm new to this game and playing a character I started when very briefly trying it previously. Am I missing out by not playing in essence league? My first character is up to act 3 on cruel.

Yeah. Sorry. There's a reason there's a big red text blurb that says "THIS IS THE DEFAULT LEAGUE FOR NEW CHARACTERS" above essence league on the character creation screen. You can keep on trucking in standard but you'll have a way harder time getting items from trading, and the goon stash is a huge clusterfuck there.

Also join the goon guild if you aren't in one with your friends or whatever, they can answer questions you have about the game on the fly.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

wonder how Lab will change too, 3 points for 2 difficulties then 2 for uber?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Shinino Kage posted:

Okay, I can stop running Discipline, and slot in Blasphemy with a curse instead somehow. I can definitely spec out of a few things to get more life, but the only thing really close right now is the Scion wheel.

Flame dash isn't even being used. I don't know why I have it in there, I don't use it at all. I use Whirling Blades with Warp for blowing up boxes/getting past obstacles.

Shock nova was originally used only for boxes. Now it's just there for me to try to level it up.

As far as curses, same thing goes. I was using Flam exclusively, then swapped to using Curse on Hit with Assassin's. I'm just finishing the leveling process on the other gem.

What I'm actually USING is totems, a combination of whirling blades / lightning warp, and Orb of Storms for when I run into a boss or tough pack (to generate power charges). I'm running Anger and Discipline, although I can drop Discipline.

My cast speed is already really high (I'm at 0.8 cast time) with Flame Golem, and it gives me a nice chunk of damage. Not sure if swapping to Lightning will really affect me.

Actually, one bit of info you left off is what your current HP/ES/resistances are like. Discipline might not be such a bad idea depending on those. I wouldn't run Blasphemy either way; you're a spellcaster (and not something close-range like Incinerate), you should ideally be further away from monsters than Blasphemy can reach.

It's a shame you're not a Hierophant, because Decoy Totem would be a great addition, but would literally cut your damage output in half. Survivability would increase dramatically though.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

Yeah. Sorry. There's a reason there's a big red text blurb that says "THIS IS THE DEFAULT LEAGUE FOR NEW CHARACTERS" above essence league on the character creation screen. You can keep on trucking in standard but you'll have a way harder time getting items from trading, and the goon stash is a huge clusterfuck there.

Also join the goon guild if you aren't in one with your friends or whatever, they can answer questions you have about the game on the fly.

I haven't even really thought about trading. Leaving the public chat channels was one of the first things I did.

Is being in a guild account wide or per character? Is there anything besides the stash that goes across characters?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Account wide
Labyrinth trials and league challenges (if you're into that sort of thing) are league-wide

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

whypick1 posted:

Actually, one bit of info you left off is what your current HP/ES/resistances are like. Discipline might not be such a bad idea depending on those. I wouldn't run Blasphemy either way; you're a spellcaster (and not something close-range like Incinerate), you should ideally be further away from monsters than Blasphemy can reach.

It's a shame you're not a Hierophant, because Decoy Totem would be a great addition, but would literally cut your damage output in half. Survivability would increase dramatically though.

Current Stats (with Anger, Discipline and Golem):

Life: 4314
ES: 1235
Fire Res: 75/77
Cold Res: 75/81
Lightning Res: 75/88
Chaos Res: -40
Damage: 2813.24 per use
Casts per second: 12.5

With Anger/Discipline/Lightning Golem
Damage: 2730
Casts per Second: 12.99

Without Discipline:
ES: 738

Without Anger (Lightning Golem):
Damage: 2376.44

Without Anger (Fire Golem):
Damage: 2562.62
Casts per Second: 12.5

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Peewi posted:

I haven't even really thought about trading. Leaving the public chat channels was one of the first things I did.

Is being in a guild account wide or per character? Is there anything besides the stash that goes across characters?

Nobody uses the $ channel, it's trash. https://poe.trade is what pretty much everyone uses for trading since it lets you actually find what you're looking for, without being scammed by trade chat idiots.

While a guild membership is account wide, you get invited by a single character name for whatever reason, so if you post a character name in the thread someone will invite you. Your master, hideout, and stash are league wide, so progress with your masters is shared between characters in the same league.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Shinino Kage posted:

Okay, I can stop running Discipline, and slot in Blasphemy with a curse instead somehow. I can definitely spec out of a few things to get more life, but the only thing really close right now is the Scion wheel.

Flame dash isn't even being used. I don't know why I have it in there, I don't use it at all. I use Whirling Blades with Warp for blowing up boxes/getting past obstacles.

Shock nova was originally used only for boxes. Now it's just there for me to try to level it up.

As far as curses, same thing goes. I was using Flam exclusively, then swapped to using Curse on Hit with Assassin's. I'm just finishing the leveling process on the other gem.

What I'm actually USING is totems, a combination of whirling blades / lightning warp, and Orb of Storms for when I run into a boss or tough pack (to generate power charges). I'm running Anger and Discipline, although I can drop Discipline.

My cast speed is already really high (I'm at 0.8 cast time) with Flame Golem, and it gives me a nice chunk of damage. Not sure if swapping to Lightning will really affect me.

This is the guy I play with's FT Inquisitor. He basically carries boss/rare DPS in 4man red maps. He farmed Atziri a lot. He's CI.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Poyayan/characters (BlastOnBlastOff)

He's upgraded his gear significantly these past couple days, you don't need his amount of gear to run Atziri.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 27, 2016

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, but I would have to do another respec to go all CI, and buy some gear. It's an option, though.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I still don't get how you're trying to mitigate damage coming in to hit that life. I'm guessing armor from your tree, like is that your long term goal or are you trying to keep CI open?

Halfsies on mitigation doesn't help. The 14% Evasion gem roll sticks out too, I'm hoping that was an errant Regal instead of intentionally purchased.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Looks like my friends have lost interest. Invite for DyzzyV to the guild if there's still room, please.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Shinino Kage posted:

Current Stats (with Anger, Discipline and Golem):

Life: 4314
ES: 1235
Fire Res: 75/77
Cold Res: 75/81
Lightning Res: 75/88
Chaos Res: -40
Damage: 2813.24 per use
Casts per second: 12.5

With Anger/Discipline/Lightning Golem
Damage: 2730

Without Discipline:
ES: 738

Without Anger (Lightning Golem):
Damage: 2376.44

Without Anger (Fire Golem):
Damage: 2562.62
Casts per Second: 12.5

I'm also running a FB totem character, I'll message you when I get home from work to see what we can do. I had a similar life amount and ended up moving completely to ES.

edit: i looked at your gear. If you want to play this as an inquisitor you need to go all out on crit chance and multiplier since you rely on that heavily with the ascendency. Your daggers are lacking both of these in exchange for high cast speed/cheapness. Consider looking at daggers with cast speed/crit chance/crit multi. Spell damage % is the least important of the group here. Prepare to pay out of the rear end for these. Consider crafting yourself with the cast speed essence.

You'll also need to get a helm enchant. One of the ones we can get as FB is +60/90% crit chance. You can get a white ES base ilvl84+ with the 90% enchant for approx 10c right now. If you want to stay armor I have one that you can have, you just may need to move your resists around. You pretty much are going to need to pick one armor type and stick with it.

Rings are bleh, we'll talk more when I see you in game.

Fart Cannon fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 27, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Would be nice if the difficulty shift, lowered resists, more and stronger enemies and starting over in act 1 was explained in the story.
You kill $ACT5_BOSS...

And then you wake up. Turns out it was all a dream as you lay half-dead in the surf. You're still on Wraeclast IRL though so better get grinding. Also, uh, they tossed you ashore with all your gear on because they're helpful like that

I hope Act 5 is better than Act 4. I'm not too much of a lore sperg but POE's story is a hot mess of endlessly receding Russian-doll-style Big Bads at this point.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

I've always liked the idea where Act 4 is the actual end, and any further acts will be inserted right before it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I hope act 5 is an inexplicable snow world where the player can find the Wilsonian Dodecahedron

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Zephro posted:

You kill $ACT5_BOSS...

And then you wake up. Turns out it was all a dream as you lay half-dead in the surf. You're still on Wraeclast IRL though so better get grinding. Also, uh, they tossed you ashore with all your gear on because they're helpful like that

I hope Act 5 is better than Act 4. I'm not too much of a lore sperg but POE's story is a hot mess of endlessly receding Russian-doll-style Big Bads at this point.

tbf i think the first 3 acts, plus the forgotten masters, had the most coherent storyline. atziri is a bit weird and a throwback. act 4's storyline is an incoherent mess because it tries to tie together a good 4 or so storylines all at once

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Yeah, I basically agree with that.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

killstealing posted:

I hope act 5 is an inexplicable snow world where the player can find the Wilsonian Dodecahedron

turns out Malachai had a brother named Baalthazar that ventured north to Mt. Azmeriat where the ancient Wraerldstone lies, if he corrupts it the forces of chaos will overrun the lands

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Zephro posted:

You kill $ACT5_BOSS...

Act 1-3 with only devourers would be better than act 4.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Act 1-3 with only devourers would be better than act 4.
Next season's league gimmick confirmed

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zephro posted:

Next season's league gimmick confirmed

Nothing but chaos bearer devourers with multiple projectiles

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
New players always think I'm joking when I tell them that the last boss of the game is currently a giant poop monster that you fight in a bloody rear end in a top hat.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Isnt almost all of act4 a dream?

Vasudus posted:

New players always think I'm joking when I tell them that the last boss of the game is currently a giant poop monster that you fight in a bloody rear end in a top hat.

It's not like its only act4 either. Have you ever had a look at the undying blockade in act3?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TheRat posted:

Isnt almost all of act4 a dream?

It's not like its only act4 either. Have you ever had a look at the undying blockade in act3?

The thing you get a bucket of lube for to fit in?

The first of the sphincter-trinity you have to enter throughout the game?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
A devourer race league would be pretty hilarious.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

dis astranagant posted:

Nothing but chaos bearer devourers with multiple projectiles
And plink.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
Every unique replaced by pre-nerf caliga, imperatrix

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Trembling Earth league confirmed

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Every unique replaced by pre-nerf caliga, imperatrix

Or Perpetus.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Lungboy posted:

Or Perpetus.

Why not both?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Nobody will make it to lioneye's

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I didnt touch Atlas yet, but i kinda feel i should give it a try.

My main problem is that i have no idea what to play.
I want something slightly out of the box, that still kinda works and is also on a budget.

What about Avatar of fire earthquake that focusses on ignites?
Since ill most likely running RT i cant rely on crits for ignite, and i dont think the chance-to support will suffice?

Any other semi-retarded-but-yet-workable ideas?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

You could go for Undeniable for accuracy I guess?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I want something slightly out of the box, that still kinda works and is also on a budget.

Since ill most likely running RT i cant rely on crits for ignite, and i dont think the chance-to support will suffice?

I'm running ignite Vortex using only Chance to Ignite and 15% ignite chance from the tree. The left side of the tree (which I assume that you'd be) has some good nodes for it.

How would you get full phys->fire conversion? Last league I tried a doomfletch AoF with cold to fire, phys to lit, and Call of the Brotherhood to get 100% of phys and all the elements converted to fire and it wasn't great, those two gem slots could have been much better spent on more damage imo.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Look up the guy who went dual wield Razor of the Seventh Sun and the unique ring that allows you to stack ignites. Insane life regen and can basically tank anything that isn't ignite immune.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Welp. Anyone want to guess the RNG gods' inclinations today? The Gambler deck -> The Doctor card. 1/8th of a Headhunter. Watch as I take this new fortune and flush it down the Fusing toilet again or something.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s12YBLyEUY0

I used to think totems were unfun. But this and funpocalypse are changing my mind.

E: Shaper's gloves become better than Kaom's heart for hp with this build.

Budgie fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 27, 2016

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

There's several pages of people discussing how to make Vortex work with Ignite and RF and it's extremely viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Can confirm, Vortex Ignite build is the poo poo.

• Locked thread