Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Skwirl posted:

One nice thing about the MPAA is that unlike most western countries it doesn't have the force of law behind it. Rating boards in other countries are usually government entities and can force cuts be made from movies or ban films outright.

The Office of Film and Literature Classification in Australia is pretty lovely. Up until 2013 they did not issue any R ratings for video games so any games that depicted a certain level of sex or drug use (like most of the Grand Theft Auto games) were completely banned from sale unless the publishers removed those elements from the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Office of Film and Literature Classification in Australia is pretty lovely. Up until 2013 they did not issue any R ratings for video games so any games that depicted a certain level of sex or drug use (like most of the Grand Theft Auto games) were completely banned from sale unless the publishers removed those elements from the games.

Europe has to be a little more lenient because they know people will just drive across the border and buy it if there's a popular demand, so all a ban does is punish their own retailers and screw the government out of VAT. Not as big a worry when you're an island.

Though apparently the German version of Spring Breakers inserted a post script where audiences were told all the girls were arrested and sent to jail, which is the funniest sense bit of censorship I've heard recently.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yeah, that's the intention. She snorted a mysterious white powder and did not get what she expected. The grand daddy of these mistakes took place in San Francisco in 1972 when

The second bag was pure LSD crystal with 200mg left after they each did a fat line. A dose of LSD is 100 micrograms, so they accidentally snorted about thousand hits of acid each.

I mean, that's a big oopsie but they were all fine. Had it been heroin they might have all died, depending on how much coke they'd already had.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
How would one go about creating a list of literally every single movie released in a given year? This year for example?
There's wikipedia's "2016 in film" but that's mostly theater movies; what about D2V films, Netflix/Streaming only films, foreign films, the festival circuit... I mean, is there a comprehensive way to say "this is it, this is the precise # of films released in year x"?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

IMDb allows you to sort titles by year, which is much more comprehensive than Wikipedia's listing. The downside is that these lists also include TV and web series, video games, music videos, and even commercials, so you'd have to manually filter them out.

Edit: Fixed the link.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 25, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yeah, that's the intention. She snorted a mysterious white powder and did not get what she expected. The grand daddy of these mistakes took place in San Francisco in 1972 when

The second bag was pure LSD crystal with 200mg left after they each did a fat line. A dose of LSD is 100 micrograms, so they accidentally snorted about thousand hits of acid each.

That's fine because you'll never get affected by more than like 10 hits. Like, 4 hits will affect you more than 3, and 10 more than 4, but a thousand will be the same as 10.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
What are some good action movies with easy to understand dialogue. I`m tutoring this 13yo kid and want to give him something to watch. hes really bad at english so i will give him subtitled versions, which only works with sparse dialogue.

So far i`m thinking:
mad max fury road
die hard
aliens
dredd
the matrix (has too much dialogue but none of it matters)

A martial arts film would be cool? Are there any with non-lovely english dubs?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Is it fascism yet posted:

What are some good action movies with easy to understand dialogue. I`m tutoring this 13yo kid and want to give him something to watch. hes really bad at english so i will give him subtitled versions, which only works with sparse dialogue.

So far i`m thinking:
mad max fury road
die hard
aliens
dredd

Crouching Tiger.

For action, T2?

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

therattle posted:

Crouching Tiger.

For action, T2?

Both of those are rather dialogue-heavy. I will show them to him once his english has improved a little.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

How many PG-13 anti-drug movies show drug use beyond marijuana? The only example I've been able to find on Google is the all-but-forgotten 1990 film The White Girl. It's weird that the anti-drug film niche isn't being filled.

I don't understand how it's possible, but The Panic in Needle Park is somehow rated PG. The version that I saw on TCM was listed as such, anyway, and it shows people injecting heroin.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Make sure you run those by his parents first. I wouldn't care, but I know plenty of parents that would flip their poo poo if a tutor gave their 13 year old kid violent R rated movies to watch.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
They let him Play gta and cod so some violence will be fine. Im not gonna show him gory or sexual stuff though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

So far i`m thinking:
mad max fury road
die hard
aliens
dredd

John Wick, if the scantily clad women in the club sequence aren't too sexual.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is there a thread for the movie Swiss Army Man or anywhere people have talked about it? Or maybe a thread on Daniel Radcliffe's penchant for weird and artsy films post-Potter.

Either way, Swiss Army Man is absolutely fantastic. We watched Horns afterward as a sort of Daniel Radcliffe double feature, and it was pretty good but should have been seen before Swiss Army Man, because SAM is simply a better movie and has a much more satisfying ending.

trailer is a little spoilery https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrK1f4TsQfM

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

So far i`m thinking:
mad max fury road
die hard
aliens
dredd

Wouldn't Jackie Chan movies or something be more appropriate for a kid that age?

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

Wouldn't Jackie Chan movies or something be more appropriate for a kid that age?

jackie chan movies are great, but have really bad english dubs. i took dredd of the list for being too brutal but i'm certain that he can stomach the fsk 16 ones.

i added a western, wall-e and spirited away to the list, because they dont have too much dialogue and are probably cool to him.

e: keep in mind that germans don't really care about swear words being in a movie.

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 26, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So far i`m thinking:
mad max fury road
die hard
aliens
dredd

Not an action movie, per se, but Vertigo is remarkably effective for having so little dialogue.

Leone's spaghetti westerns qualify, too.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Timby posted:

Not an action movie, per se, but Vertigo is remarkably effective for having so little dialogue.

Leone's spaghetti westerns qualify, too.

Sure, if you want to bore the poo poo out of your 13 year old

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Starship Troopers for irony

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

effectual posted:

Starship Troopers for irony

Explain

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

So far i`m thinking:
mad max fury road
die hard
aliens
dredd

90s Jim Carey comedies might fit. They aren't action films but they should be hilarious to a 13 year old and largely use physical comedy that doesn't need any translation.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

cloudchamber posted:

He's 13. He's more than likely seen the most violent movies out there already, and been scouring the internet to find pics of some sex-boobs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

He's 13. He's more than likely seen the most violent movies out there already, and been scouring the internet to find pics of some sex-boobs.

Google didn't even exist when I was that age and I remember searching Alta Vista for the word "oval office" I didn't know what it meant but I knew it was associated with dirty pictures.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yo quick question, I wanna watch Apocalypse Now, I haven't watched it in forever, should I watch the redux or just the original?

e] Dangit!

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 27, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yo quick question, I wanna watch Apocalypse Now, I haven't watched it in forever, should I watch the redux or just the original?
Yes!

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

e] Dangit!

Watch the original, and then if you want to slog through it, the redux

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

John Wick, if the scantily clad women in the club sequence aren't too sexual.

I'm gonna have to watch this and judge for myself.

Skwirl posted:

90s Jim Carey comedies might fit. They aren't action films but they should be hilarious to a 13 year old and largely use physical comedy that doesn't need any translation.

Good Idea. Ace Ventura might be a good fit.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Fayez Butts posted:

Watch the original, and then if you want to slog through it, the redux
I would agree. Some of the extra stuff is good, some isn't that special, but all of it pushes the runtime well north of 3 hours (and not a quick 3.5 hours either).

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Good Idea. Ace Ventura might be a good fit.

Ace Ventura ends with a tucked penis reveal, you're going to have to explain that one to the kid.

The Mask is probably a better option, although then you're going to have to explain the whole swing revival of the 90s as well.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Ace Ventura ends with a tucked penis reveal, you're going to have to explain that one to the kid.

The Mask is probably a better option, although then you're going to have to explain the whole swing revival of the 90s as well.

Totally didnt get this when I was a kid

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I got it.

But it lead to me gravely misunderstanding how sexual reassignment surgery actually worked for many many years afterwards. I assumed that she was post-op and that the surgery basically involved putting the penis on the butt for some reason.

Unless you're talking about the swing revival in which case I didn't get it either.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 27, 2016

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I got it.

But it lead to me gravely misunderstanding how sexual reassignment surgery actually worked for many many years afterwards. I assume that she was post-op and that the surgery basically involved putting the penis on the butt for some reason.

Unless you're talking about the swing revival in which case I didn't get it either.

I thought she had pooped her pants and that's why everybody was puking. Man, that was not an appropriate movie for children.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Crappy Jack posted:

I thought she had pooped her pants and that's why everybody was puking. Man, that was not an appropriate movie for children.

So did I!

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I will throw my hat into the "Einhorn has poo poo them britches" camp as well

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think one of the reasons I realized what it meant is that around that same time Anna Kristjánsdóttir became the first Icelander to undergo a sexual reassignment surgery so that sort of thing was all over the news so I, and other weird small children that actually watched the news in Iceland, was probably slightly more aware of trans people existing than most kids at that time. Though of course I had a very limited understanding of the actual mechanics and was just really confused by Ace Ventura's depiction of things since the butt seemed like a very inconvenient place to move the penis to.

I looked up the scene and although it's shockingly transphobic it is a lot less graphic than I remembered it being. Somehow in the memory they actually showed the bare dilz and nuts sticking out from underneath the buttocks not covered by anything. Which of course they could never have done without getting slapped with a much harder rating.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 27, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FreudianSlippers posted:

I looked up the scene and although it's shockingly transphobic

Not really that shocking.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bows1 posted:

Totally didnt get this when I was a kid

Yeah same. I couldn't grasp why people wanted to listen to music from the 20s or whatever.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

e] Dangit!

I only recommend people watch the original if they have never seen the movie before. You have, so watch redux.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

1994 Cameron Diaz as 13 year old was a special thing. Many a night was spent thinking about that performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

discount cathouse posted:

The Last Airbender has extremely simple dialogue.

Sand Monster posted:

I don't understand how it's possible, but The Panic in Needle Park is somehow rated PG. The version that I saw on TCM was listed as such, anyway, and it shows people injecting heroin.

Standards have always changed and will continue to change. From the late 1960s through the early 1980s a ton of films got the PG rating (originally called GP) that would definitely get an R these days.

Three that come to mind:
Barbarella
The Omega Man
Sheena

Bananas was on TCM tonight and that's another one that wouldn't get a PG at any point in the last thirty years.