Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Zythrst posted:

So I'm going to preface this by saying I'm asking in good faith and genuinely want to know. Do you guys agree with Hillary's doctrine of cyber attacks being possibly worthy of military response?
The word "possibly" is carrying a hell of a lot of weight here. Yes, of course.

Like, when the US and Israel sabotaged the Iranian nuclear program with Stuxnet, that's p. much an act of war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lol i forgot about stuxnet, what a terrible idea

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
The truly "useful idiot" (I hate that phrase) is the one who initiates an armed conflict with a Russian proxy over a cyberattack.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Pinterest Mom posted:

Like, when the US and Israel sabotaged the Iranian nuclear program with Stuxnet, that's p. much an act of war.

Stux net is one of the more direct attacks, but our nation has also inserted backdoors into numerous computing devices and components as well as the nsa spying through our tech companies. We don't have much of any leg to stand on when complaining about hacking and espionage from other countries

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Well, and I guess people are going to call me :tinfoil: I suppose, but I assume this is all in response to the dnc hack, so I'm assuming that sort of thing would be deemed worthy of military response.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zythrst posted:

Well, and I guess people are going to call me :tinfoil: I suppose, but I assume this is all in response to the dnc hack, so I'm assuming that sort of thing would be deemed worthy of military response.

Why are you assuming that.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Zythrst posted:

So I'm going to preface this by saying I'm asking in good faith and genuinely want to know. Do you guys agree with Hillary's doctrine of wizard attacks being possibly worthy of military response?

By military response she means cyber attacks. So, sure. If Russia wants to gently caress around with cyber, let's see how they feel about not having any informational security.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I'M VERY GOOD ON CYBER

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Condiv posted:

Stux net is one of the more direct attacks, but our nation has also inserted backdoors into numerous computing devices and components as well as the nsa spying through our tech companies. We don't have much of any leg to stand on when complaining about hacking and espionage from other countries

By this standard, no country can ever complain about espionage ever.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

docbeard posted:

By this standard, no country can ever complain about espionage ever.

Complaining's not what's happening, military action is being threatened.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Karl Barks posted:

I'M VERY GOOD ON WIZARD

I put a filter on, and I love it. Wizardpunk is cool and good. Zer0C00l hacking into the Gibson to steal Cyberdine's secrets.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
We eavesdropped the phone calls of 35 world leaders in the mid 2000s. If Russia collecting one party's emails is a battle-worthy offense then nearly every ally we have would be justified in taking military action against us. They wouldn't dare, of course, but that doesn't mean we should, or render Hillary's prognostications of conflict any less stupid

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Zythrst posted:

nobody's going to war because some DNC staffer was ***exposed*** cracking a joke about gays liking kathy griffin come the gently caress on

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Peztopiary posted:

By military response she means cyber attacks. So, sure. If Russia wants to gently caress around with cyber, let's see how they feel about not having any informational security.

She said that it would be treated like any other attack, which would be by any historical definition a war.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zythrst posted:

so to be clear you genuinely believe that Hillary Clinton believes launching military attacks (I assume you mean 'conventional' stuff like bombs right?) is a possible response to Literally Who of the DNC's grumbling about Sanders got leaked? You honestly believe that to be something that could happen?

Zythrst posted:

She said that it would be treated like any other attack, which would be by any historical definition a war.

People use that in terms of 'we're not going to just roll our eyes and go 'oh those scamps' like we often do because many don't view cyber attacks as 'real' attacks still'.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Five minutes after Hillary's sworn in, nukes are in the air.

NO ONE HACKS HER SECRET CAT PHOTOS.

NO ONE.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

so to be clear you genuinely believe that Hillary Clinton believes launching military attacks (I assume you mean 'conventional' stuff like bombs right?) is a possible response to Literally Who of the DNC's grumbling about Sanders got leaked? You honestly believe that to be something that could happen?

People use that in terms of 'we're not going to just roll our eyes and go 'oh those scamps' like we often do because many don't view cyber attacks as 'real' attacks still'.

Well okay, lets leave that off the table. Also mentioned were sanctions, would you be for levying sanctions because of it?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zythrst posted:

Espionage can merit all kinds of responses depending on severity. The normal way to view this is that nothing has changed, whatsoever. The thick weirdo way to view this is "Clinton might take us to war with Russia because they hacked the DNC."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zythrst posted:

Well okay, lets leave that off the table. Also mentioned were sanctions, would you be for levying sanctions because of it?

because of what, the DNC hack or 'cyber attacks' in general? I think there are a ton of cyber attacks that are worthy of something like sanctions pushes. I don't think literally anyone, anyone at all, believes there should be any punishment beyond the actual hackers themselves for the DNC hack, and maybe a stern 'dick move' condemnation type thing.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hey noted Green Party voter Zythrst, what do you think the chances are of Jewish Israeli hackers defacing whitehouse.gov as a false flag operation to get us to go to war with Iran? Are you with Baraka on that one?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Just to be clear I don't think we're going to war over DNC hacks, but I do believe that DNC hacks are why she made those statements, and I also think she did it because if we can blame the Putin monster then people won't pay attention to what they contain. Also a handy thing we can rinse and repeat with, and hey if they sabre rattle too, then Cold War pt 2 can be used for all sorts tasty things we might want to do.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

zen death robot posted:

With Bernie we would have got to angry old fuckers repeating their stump speeches at each other.

Yea but at least WHITE ECONOMIC ANXIETY ANGRY RACIST FUCKERS would have been put at ease

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zythrst posted:

Just to be clear I don't think we're going to war over DNC hacks, but I do believe that DNC hacks are why she made those statements, and I also think she did it because if we can blame the Putin monster then people won't pay attention to what they contain. Also a handy thing we can rinse and repeat with, and hey if they sabre rattle too, then Cold War pt 2 can be used for all sorts tasty things we might want to do.

such as what, tasty things such as what.

Also if her plan was to distract people from the leaks by saying Putin did it that...sure didn't work, so what does it matter?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Hey noted Green Party voter Zythrst, what do you think the chances are of Jewish Israeli hackers defacing whitehouse.gov as a false flag operation to get us to go to war with Iran? Are you with Baraka on that one?

I'm not a Green party voter, I'm an independent voter who think that Stein is as of right now the best of the four choices I'll be given on the presidential portion of the ballot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zythrst posted:

I'm not a Green party voter, I'm an independent voter who think that Stein is as of right now the best of the four choices I'll be given on the presidential portion of the ballot.

do you agree with her vp's stance of 'maybe the jews will nuke america in a false flag like they did 9/11 to get us into war'

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zythrst posted:

OK, see, when you say this

Zythrst posted:

Well, and I guess people are going to call me :tinfoil: I suppose

consider that you have made up your mind to vote for multiple literal conspiracy theorists. Specifically the crank kind, not the cool kind who tell interesting stories about MKULTRA or whatever. Maybe you should actually step back and think about what happened in your life that led you to lose your drat mind.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zythrst posted:

that sure is a lot of words for "loving kill my clueless rear end"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

such as what, tasty things such as what.

Also if her plan was to distract people from the leaks by saying Putin did it that...sure didn't work, so what does it matter?

Similar things that we did for 45 years 'cause communism', and do now 'cause terrorism'

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
"And we're going to have to make it clear that we don't want to use the kinds of tools that we have. We don't want to engage in a different kind of warfare. But we will defend the citizens of this country."
-Cyberbuela

Me? I'm a cyber-pacifist...

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Zythrst posted:

Yeah, a cyber war. Cyberwarfare is a thing, haven't you been listening? I don't think we're going boots on the ground over someone making the President tweet out 'I love dicks, lol' but I could certainly see us releasing (or just flat making up, and releasing through a third-party (wikileaks v2)) embarrassing Kremlin stuff.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
too bad Bernie took the blue pill like a cuck

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
word filter down?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

you broke it way to go

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

OK, see, when you say this

consider that you have made up your mind to vote for multiple literal conspiracy theorists. Specifically the crank kind, not the cool kind who tell interesting stories about MKULTRA or whatever. Maybe you should actually step back and think about what happened in your life that led you to lose your drat mind.

I've said before, that I am not a Green. I am willing to vote for Stein as of now, because they are actually good on a number of important issues. I do not agree with any of the woo in the party I do not think Stein will be president, it is a protest, but it is also for giving an (admittedly very flawed) left party a better opportunity to get heard in the next cycle by hitting the thresholds.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Peztopiary posted:

Yeah, a cyber war. Cyberwarfare is a thing, haven't you been listening? I don't think we're going boots on the ground over someone making the President tweet out 'I love dicks, lol' but I could certainly see us releasing (or just flat making up, and releasing through a third-party (wikileaks v2)) embarrassing Kremlin stuff.

Cyberwarfare could be pretty nasty for our country considering we really don't take security seriously where we should. For example, the entertainment and communications features in modern cars are poorly secured to the point some models of cars can be sabotaged remotely via the internet.

Condiv has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Sep 27, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zythrst posted:

I've said before, that I am not a Green. I am willing to vote for Stein as of now, because they are actually good on a number of important issues. I do not agree with any of the woo in the party I do not think Stein will be president, it is a protest, but it is also for giving an (admittedly very flawed) left party a better opportunity to get heard in the next cycle by hitting the thresholds.

why do you want a ticket involving a holocaust denier to get heard more

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Hey kids, play a little nicer

Their worldview does not threaten yours.

....if it does there are designated safe spaces in this dumpster fire subforum, namaste :thumbsup:

e: You already dogpile in the Jill Stein thread as it is and have made your points about her candidacy, at this point it's just taunting in other threads. Primaries are over so let's reduce the salt levels and personal attacks before there's a containment procedure for meltdowns in effect.

Go back to THE CYBER if you can, getting a little sidetracked.

Lastgirl has issued a correction as of 21:37 on Sep 27, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean I hate to be a stickler but I do think supporting a ticket that involves a guy who, at best, is neutral on the whole 'so the jews start all the world wars and will attack america right' thing because someone thinks that ticket needs and deserves more mainstream attention is mildly threatening!

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean I hate to be a stickler but I do think supporting a ticket that involves a guy who, at best, is neutral on the whole 'so the jews start all the world wars and will attack america right' thing because someone thinks that ticket needs and deserves more mainstream attention is mildly threatening!

that's not what people think of when they think "green party" tho. they think super far left environmentalist hippy people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Edit: Just saw Lastgirls post, let's cyber spar instead Tatum

Toadvine has issued a correction as of 21:40 on Sep 27, 2016

• Locked thread