Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

gvibes posted:

I wanted to finish my first placements before season 7, and apparently I skipped bronze right to silver V. Despite going 2-8? I felt really overmatched in all these games.

I'm pretty sure you start out with a baseline MMR for ranked, and if you've never played before that MMR is somewhere in mid-silver. You have to do REALLY POORLY in your ranked games to get placed into bronze the first time out, and I'm pretty sure you have to do REALLY WELL to get placed outside of silver your first time out.

Next season, your MMR gets a soft-reset that takes into account where you ended the previous season, and if you end this season at mid-silver it's pretty likely that next season you'll get placed in bronze and have to climb out. I think I ended season five in like silver 3, and I'm pretty sure I got placed into bronze 3 at the start of season six. I'm in mid gold now, so I'm hoping my MMR will be high enough to let me escape the bronze grind in S7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
do people still play Kayle support?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
In bronze

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Tired Moritz posted:

In the same way people still play nidalee support, maybe. I'm pretty sure she's not in the top 20 support picks.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tired Moritz posted:

Yes I've played kayle bot.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

In the same way people still play nidalee support, maybe. I'm pretty sure she's not in the top 20 support picks.

Well Kayle does have atleast 1 cc ability so she is already an infinitely better support than Nidalee. Kayle support was played a bit in pro play like season 4 I think by SK Gaming.
She is aight, she can be decent if they have assassin champion on other team. But the item path as Kayle support is really awkward since her w/q don't scale that well into late game.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

my buddy jhonson showed me how to use co op vs ai games to grind out leaverbuster and i for one am very glad of this, and to anyone else who gets in leaverbuster due to power outages and etc i just thought i would like to share this tip.

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

pog boyfriend posted:

my buddy jhonson showed me how to use co op vs ai games to grind out leaverbuster and i for one am very glad of this, and to anyone else who gets in leaverbuster due to power outages and etc i just thought i would like to share this tip.

jhonson ftw :cheers:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

pog boyfriend posted:

Is it the trick where you put a pink ward on krugs and build a heimer turret on the other side of the wall?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Someone was asking about top lane streamers. I highly recommend Quas' stream; one, he's a really good player, and two, he does a great job of explaining why he's doing what he's doing.

https://www.twitch.tv/quaslol

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
solid 4v5 win here yepyep
http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/2304551767/38423259?tab=overview

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 27, 2016

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

why do you have greaves on jhin

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

curiousCat posted:

why do you have greaves on jhin

i kinda forgot which champion i was playing for a while
although in that game merc treads probably wouldn't have been a half bad choice now that i think about it

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Okay, so I'm switching over from Heroes of the Storm to this. I know the major differences between the two - last hitting, items instead of talents, all that jazz. Take the basics as a given.

How the hell do I start getting good at this game? Because right now the Coop vs. AI games are easy, while the PvP matches are going poorly. Where's the cheat sheet?

Edit: Also should I focus on one champion until I really learn them, or should I try to be flexible? When picking comps I usually have no idea how to fit into them.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Last hitting, learning item builds, all that jazz.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Jonked posted:

Okay, so I'm switching over from Heroes of the Storm to this. I know the major differences between the two - last hitting, items instead of talents, all that jazz. Take the basics as a given.

How the hell do I start getting good at this game? Because right now the Coop vs. AI games are easy, while the PvP matches are going poorly. Where's the cheat sheet?

Edit: Also should I focus on one champion until I really learn them, or should I try to be flexible? When picking comps I usually have no idea how to fit into them.

you should pick one role rather than one champion i think. a good way to get good at this game is just to stop trying to play safe when you are new and zero in on one concept to really work on. last hitting, map awareness, getting in harass damage, etc. hop into a game as teemo for example and say to yourself "i am going to get as many free hits in on my opponent as possible". and in the process of doing this you will get some not so free hits in, and in doing so learn what stuff you can and can not get away with.

and i really mean stop trying to play safe when you are new. trying to play safe without a solid concept of what is and is not risky is a very easy way to end up gimping yourself by doing absolutely nothing and basically turning your game into a 4.5v5 by virtue of having one person playing a borderline pve game

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Jonked posted:

I can do a better write up when I'm done walking my dogs, but in league there are five distinct positions. There is top, jungle, mid, ADC/marksman, and support. Every champion(for better or worse) fits into one specific role. You can get a general idea of their usual placement by looking at sites like op.gg or champion.gg .

The general advice is to find a role, then one or two champions in that role that you like. Do the same for another role, and you'll be set for ranked (since you only need to know two roles for ranked these days). Then just sorta start playing. That's really the only way to learn. Some skills from hots will transfer, but only stuff like teamfighting really will since laning phases are pretty different. From there it's just a matter of memorization.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Jonked posted:

Who did you enjoy in HotS? I can reccomend similar heroes to try if you want (unless it's like Abathur or Vikings).

Generally, I think it's good to try all the free heroes and a couple roles to see what you like, and start to focus in when someone clicks for you or you want to start grinding out ranked.

Definitely do last hitting drills for like 10 mins as warm up if you want to get better at it more efficiently, try to not miss any for 10 mins in various permutations. To the extent that there's a quick way to get better, it's that. It's also one of the biggest differences from HotS, so it can't hurt to practice.

Also, try watching the UNSWLOLSOC videos on YouTube, just Google that and you should find them. They're a very good intro to the game and go from basic to more advanced.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Luna Was Here posted:

I can do a better write up when I'm done walking my dogs, but in league there are five distinct positions. There is top, jungle, mid, ADC/marksman, and support. Every champion(for better or worse) fits into one specific role. You can get a general idea of their usual placement by looking at sites like op.gg or champion.gg .

The general advice is to find a role, then one or two champions in that role that you like. Do the same for another role, and you'll be set for ranked (since you only need to know two roles for ranked these days). Then just sorta start playing. That's really the only way to learn. Some skills from hots will transfer, but only stuff like teamfighting really will since laning phases are pretty different. From there it's just a matter of memorization.

Some champions can also be played in multiple roles (usually top/jungle or top/mid) but it's very uncommon, and usually they have a superior role in a given patch

Luna is giving some really good advice

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Never forget Quinn being overpowered at top/jungle/adc, viable in mid, and hey why not try support too.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Ya just play Quinn tbh

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah if you want to improve you should play only a few roles/champions you like, but when you're just starting out you should try every champion in the free rotation in a bot game at least to see how they play

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Yeah, in retrospect it doesn't actually matter how you learn the game from level 1-29, because the learning process is so long that you continue learning The Basics until you are, at the absolute least, high Silver. As long as you continue to make genuine efforts to learn more, you will.

Have fun with it. Try different champions. Watch cool/funny videos. The best way to learn about Fizz is probably watching videos about how much people hate him

https://youtu.be/p3EMjV_eMIo

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

Yeah, in retrospect it doesn't actually matter how you learn the game from level 1-29, because the learning process is so long that you continue learning The Basics until you are, at the absolute least, high Silver. As long as you continue to make genuine efforts to learn more, you will.

Have fun with it. Try different champions. Watch cool/funny videos. The best way to learn about Fizz is probably watching videos about how much people hate him

https://youtu.be/p3EMjV_eMIo

Otoh I also wish I had spent my hundreds of early hours with the game practicing Elise mechanics

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

How Rude posted:

Some champions can also be played in multiple roles (usually top/jungle or top/mid) but it's very uncommon, and usually they have a superior role in a given patch

kingcobweb posted:

Never forget Quinn being overpowered at top/jungle/adc, viable in mid, and hey why not try support too.

I left these examples out because usually the only time a champion is able to be played in multiple roles is its because Riot didn't think of something when they buffed an item or a champion, and those sorts of situations where a champion can be played in multiple roles are pretty few and far between (barring poo poo like season 3 or 4 or whatever where every top laner could also jungle or release lulu who could realistically be played top mid jungle and support). Like I said, for better or worse (some cases better, some cases worse) Riot likes their champions to have one and only one role. anyways

Jonked posted:

How the hell do I start getting good at this game?

...Good? :confused:

Jokes aside, there's tons of springboards out there but this is my take on it. IMO, no one in league of legends who really wants to be good at the game should be below Gold V. To me, Gold isn't that hard to achieve, because I got it and I'm bad. Like, real fuckin bad. But a lot of the people I see in Gold are like, so hilariously awful that I question how they got there. Because (in my own personal opinion) getting to gold is all about mechanics. What are mechanics? Well, you mentioned a few of them. Last hitting, Item Builds, Map Awareness and Objective Based Gaming are all (in my own personal opinion) the core mechanics that make up a halfway decent league player. If you have even halfway decent mechanics, you will be Gold V, as simple as that. The question is, "Well how do I get good mechanics???" Well, some are simple. If you really want to get good at last hitting, pick a champion you like, and load up a custom game with them. Start solo and just do it on Summoner's Rift, and go to whatever lane you prefer. From there, just start last hitting. Check and see what your CS (Creep Score or Last Hit Count) is at 10 minutes. For a beginner, I'm not sure what level of CS to recommend you aim for, so let's just go with 50 CS @ 10 minutes. Then, do this maybe once or twice more until you're consistently hitting that number. Then, add a bot or two, and do it again, and just go to whatever lane they go to and last hit. Try and aim for that 50 again, but you have to not die. If you can pull that 50 again without dying, awesome! You just accomplished a successful (by our current standards) laning phase. Now, take it to normals, and repeat the process again. Some games you may not get your role or your champion, so consider these off games "additional learning" games. Use them to try out a new champ and go for that 50 cs on them, or maybe try a new role or new strategy that you saw or thought of. Once you've got the 50cs@10 down on your champ, I'd say do either one of two things. Either up the cs count you aim for, or do it on a different champ entirely. If you can start hitting 60 or 70 cs @ 10 minutes, you will almost automatically be better than any silver player out there. Of course there's also a bunch of caveats that come with this. Stuff like map awareness (paying attention to who is one the map, who isn't, and where the who isn'ts were last seen at). The general consensus is every 1-2 cs, just peek at your minimap. Once you get used to doing this and taking note of who is and isn't on it, it becomes second nature to you.

The last two points I haven't yet covered are Item Builds and Objective Based Gaming. OBG is a pretty dense one to discuss so that one will maybe be later. Item Builds are pretty simply though, and the only time they aren't is at the start of every season when Riot introduces 4 or 5 new items and gets rid of some old ones. Yes, its as dumb as it sounds (however this year I think they like the meta how it is so who knows whats gonna happen). For pretty much every scenario though, outside information is going to be your best bet for item builds. The Riot Recommended Item Builds are usually pretty good, but also include some odd recommended items, or items that just aren't very good anymore. In these cases, its in your best bet to look at sites such as op.gg, champion.gg, or <insertnamehere>.gg. League has been around for long enough that people have realized that making sites that parse winrates for item builds and throwing them out there with a couple of ads on the pages are real bank makers, so any popular site that you seen recommended on here for item builds is going to be a good bet. People like to recommend Probuilds.net (a site that takes all of the professional league players accounts and puts their item and skill builds up for people to see and copy) but I feel like those pages usually include itemization that is specific per player preference and matchup preference, and most players don't really need to be concerned with that stuff, especially new players. However, the item build sites ALSO have a caveat, and that it's to pay attention to your match up. If you're playing a tanky top laner, and you're against an all AD team, then a magic resist item like Spirit Visage or Banshee's Veil is almost completely useless to you. An AP midlaner in a matchup vs a burst AP does not need that Zhonya's first item. Once again, these are the sorts of things that come with time and the ~burden of knowledge~ but if you start learning it early then it doesn't allow bad habits to form that you have to unlearn.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks for the advice. Ran a few last hitting drills and, uh, I'll keep working on it. For now I think going to just play free heroes and follow the item builds semi-blindly.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:
We got 3 people currently in our club including me! Don't be afraid to send me a friend request!! Name is Bicep Hardthrust!

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Jonked posted:

Thanks for the advice. Ran a few last hitting drills and, uh, I'll keep working on it. For now I think going to just play free heroes and follow the item builds semi-blindly.

That's good, my advice is more of a general direction to get good. A lot of it is dependent on you already having a favorite champion. Learning the champions is also a pretty steep curve, but you'll probably see everybody at least once on the way to 30.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Jonked posted:

Keep at it. Last hitting is like everything else in this game in that you can always improve at it, and if you watch any pro matches you will see how high the ceiling can be. But before you know it you will achieve a reasonable level of cs from muscle memory and champ familiarity. It's one of those things where one day you will realize you are doing it without thinking and not completely sucking rear end at it.

Play normals (unranked 5v5). gently caress games against bots. Ignore lovely teammates and opponents. Go ham. Learn when not to go ham.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

foutre posted:

Who did you enjoy in HotS? I can reccomend similar heroes to try if you want (unless it's like Abathur or Vikings).
I've been enjoying ETC lately - being able to body block and push people around as a big bull man is fun, and his mosh pit ult feels like you're carrying the whole team when you snag everyone. So I guess Alistar?

And thanks for the unsclolsoc suggestion

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Nautilus, Sion, Zac, Volibear, Singed, Gragas are all very disruptive shithead tanky dudes as well if that's your ballpark. I don't know what ETC does exactly to be able to tell you but if you want a brick shithouse kind of champ you cant go wrong with those.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Servaetes posted:

Nautilus, Sion, Zac, Volibear, Singed, Gragas are all very disruptive shithead tanky dudes as well if that's your ballpark. I don't know what ETC does exactly to be able to tell you but if you want a brick shithouse kind of champ you cant go wrong with those.

Beefy warrior with a decent amount of mobility, an aoeknockback, and whose ultimate is a channeled stun to everybody in a big AOE around him.

I'd recommend Amumu in that comparison. He can pull himself to somebody and stun them, and his ult is is a big aoe stun, and he's usually built very tanky.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Jonked posted:

I've been enjoying ETC lately - being able to body block and push people around as a big bull man is fun, and his mosh pit ult feels like you're carrying the whole team when you snag everyone. So I guess Alistar?

And thanks for the unsclolsoc suggestion

Hmmm, ETC is a weird one. If you liked him for aura based supporty gaming, then Sona is the champion for you. If you liked him for being tanky and able to slam into dudes and do the stuns, Gragas and Amumu are your friends. Sona is a Support champion, and both Gragas and Amumu are usually AP junglers but they can also be played top. I wouldn't recommend setting foot in the jungle until youre like maybe level 25 though, its a pretty different beast from the laning game (although you might be able to ease into it a bit more considering its the typical ganker role and Hots was basically all roaming and ganking during the time I played it)

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Libertine, I need your help.

Currently, I'm at 90 champs. If I get 5 more I'll be able to get an ARAM reroll every other game. The problem is I don't know what champions I should get. I've tried looking up a tier list and found this
http://www.metasrc.com/na/aram/current/tierlist

Unfortunately, in my personal opinion it is flawed. Although I'm not sure what algorithm is used, it seems to me that too much emphasis is put on pick rate. Specifically Vayne is considered above average with a 43.05% win rate and a 2.23 KDA, which is some of the lowerst scores in those areas. She's .06 points behind Sion who has a 58.26% win rate and 2.97 KDA. The only reasonable explanation is that her 19.81% pick rate significantly boosts her versus Sion who has a 5.97% pick rate. It's abusrd to insuanate that those two champions should be almost identical on a tier list. I think the order of importance of variables should be
1. Win rate
2. GPM
3. KDA
4. Pick rate

What are your thoughts? Do you think you could do this?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
There's really a lot of champs that might suit an ETC player. Leona, Malphite, Poppy, Jarvan, Sejuani, Wukong all have some combination of dashes and AOE crowd control on top of the previously mentioned champs.

Amumu, Poppy and Alistar are all 450 IP so you could buy them cheaply and figure out where to go from there.

I think Jarvan is the most satisfying of the bunch for a new player but he's kind of expensive.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
the gods of riot came down and handed me a belated birthday present, mid ahri feeding her butt off, jungle lee at something less than a masters elo, an opposing wu kong jungle that half my team could just not play around, all was grim until I hit the results screen and saw loss prevented.

I feel like I'm about where I belong as a solo player, I've been hovering on plat 5, going up to 4, losing back down to 5, going back up to 4, etc, for a while now to be honest high plat 5 low 4 seems like a reasonable zone for me. I think I play better as a support when working with teammate but most of the people I was playing with up until now left for the recent wow expansion so I'm solo supporting it up. I can see the areas where i need to improve but they're kind of hard things to practice on a game by game basis so it's gonna be slow progress unless I start devoting more time to the game. Mostly I've been enjoying zil, I tried braum/janna for a bit to pretty good effect but I've been liking the zil pick to capitalize on the random solo carries, if literally anyone on my team is doing well I can bring em to the endzone with miks/locket/ult + his kit. Other champs feel a bit more consistent in lane but there's no one else I feel quite as comfortable on when my teamates are feeding their butts off.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You can literally carry yourself to mid gold if you can last hit 5/6 creeps in a wave.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i've not been able to get out of gold for the past 3 seasons, doomed to be bad forever :(

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teikanmi posted:

You can literally carry yourself to mid gold if you can last hit 5/6 creeps in a wave.

*if you aren't subpar at any of twenty other things

There are people in bronze with really high CS, nothing is a silver bullet that completely invalidates all other skills. When people say things like "you can get pretty far being good at one thing", the unspoken assumption is that you're just unremarkable at everything else, not that you're actively bad. Otherwise you become that Zed who goes 10/0 and then 1v5s until he loses at 15/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Teikanmi posted:

I think it's pretty easy at each elo to say that there's stuff you can do to carry your games for those below you but its harder when you're stuck in the pit.

To be honest the first season I played ranked I duo'd with a friend who went jungler and we combo'd zyra/amumu to a 9/1 placement into gold 3 but I've straight up never been able to solo carry silver games even now as a decidedly plat support a couple seasons later. In general I think there are certain playstyles you have to adopt if you want to climb quickly unless you're a high ranking smurf.

Not to say of course you can't climb with consistently good team play or anything, obviously if you're doing that above the level of your opponents you will gradually make progress but if you are confident that you are that much better than the people around you there are certain roles and champs that will give you the best chance of winning regardless of how your team is doin.

• Locked thread