Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Tick was actually pretty Tick-y - very similar to the cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

The Tick was actually pretty Tick-y - very similar to the cartoon.

Yeah, I liked it, I just really dislike the costume, maybe it'll change, but I can deal with it. Maybe just the eye mask and texture could be eliminated.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
ComicBook.com and Empire Magazine had an interview with Scott Derrickson and Benedict Cumberbatch with a lot of new info about Dr. Strange:

What is your inspiration for Dr. Strange? [to Director Scott Derrickson]

quote:

The Watchmen film really inspired me as being a piece ahead of its time.

What will Marvel's Doctor Strange have in common with Alan Moore's Watchmen?

If director Scott Derrickson can help it, Bob Dylan.

Derrickson isn't just a huge Dylan fan: the director wrote the foreword for the book Restless Pilgrim: The Spiritual Journey of Bob Dylan.

"Dylan has made it absolutely clear that he is a serious student of country, folk, blues, rock, gospel and every other kind of American music. That's just a fact," Uexpress once quoted the filmmaker as saying. "It's clear that he is fluent in the language and symbolism of the Bible, both Old and New Testaments....There has always been a sense of transcendence in his songs."

He's such a fan -- you can just Google "Scott Derrickson" and "Bob Dylan" together to see his Twitter history celebrating the singer and his catalog -- that it came up during a set visit attended by ComicBook.com during production of Doctor Strange.

"Oh, God. I hope so," Derrickson said when asked whether fans might hear some of Dylan's work in Doctor Strange. "That's my answer to everything. I hope there are Bob Dylan songs in every movie. We're looking at specific songs and, some of them, classic songs. We'll see. We'll see which ones we get, which ones we can afford and which ones we can get the rights to."

In Watchmen comics, some of the chapters were named after Bob Dylan lyrics, and Dylan appears on the soundtrack to Zack Snyder's 2009 film adaptation of the miniseries.

"My love for the comics, I think is probably ... I'll start by saying this. I think that, because I love the comics so much, and I grew up reading Marvel comics, and Doctor Strange is my favorite comic book character, probably," Derrickson told ComicBook.com and other press during a Doctor Strange set visit. "I think, honestly, the only comic book I would feel personally suited to work on. For me, it was, my long standing love for Doctor Strange comes from, first of all, the fantastical visual imagery of all the comics, particularly the early Ditko stuff, Into Shamballa, The Oath. A lot of the images that I have picked are from those three sources."

The Oath is the 2006-2007 5-part miniseries by Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin (with inks by Alvaro Lopez). It is considered an essential read for Doctor Strange fans and has earned high-praise for its memorable visuals and entertaining character moments. In it, Doctor Strange in a race against time to find a stolen magical elixar that he believes will cure the cancer eating away at Wong, his loyal manservant. It also offers a fun spin on the Night Nurse character, who is depicted as being an underground source of healthcare for Marvel’s superhero population.

Then, individual issues," Derrickson continued. "Thematically, the loneliness of that character, I always really liked, the idea of a character who had gone through so much trauma and was placed into a position between our world and other worlds, other dimensions. Literally, that's a lonely position. I like that. I think that, as I've gotten older, my continuing love for Doctor Strange has been that he is a character who transforms through suffering, and, for me, that's kind of the most powerful thing. He goes through this gauntlet of trauma and suffering, going all the way back to his childhood, in the comics, but, then, he appropriates that suffering in a certain way that limits him. Then, he goes through the loss of everything, in a really painful, unbearable way, and, eventually finds self-transcendence in something mystical. That's Doctor Strange to me. I love that, and I think that, again, getting to why I think I got the job, I think it's my genuine love for that that somehow connected to what ... I didn't know it at the time, but I think it really connected to what Marvel wanted the movie to be. When I came in, I talked about Doctor Strange in those terms, and, for me, it's like that's the only way I could make the movie, that and I had set piece ideas, already, about how to make the movie as visually weird in this day and age as the Ditko comics were at their time."

What artifacts will appear in the film? Will we see many of the iconic chants and objects of power from the comic?

quote:

There's the Eye of Agamotto, a powerful amulet created by the Vishanti and worn by Earth's Sorcerer Supreme. It can do many many things, such as summoning images of the past and emitting a powerful mystical light that reveals disguises/illusions to the wearer. We've also seen the Book of the Vishanti, a powerful white/defense magic book that contains every known counterspell. Lastly, the Cloak of Levitation, a cloak that allows the wearer to levitate.

"I think the Harry Potter movies are proof that audiences love that stuff. They love the idea of magical objects, and they like learning the rules of those objects and what they do. I think everything that we do, I think all the names of everything and I think all the things that we use in the movie, are drawn from the comics. I can't think of one, at least offhand, that's not drawn from the comics. Yeah."

Not every artifact will come straight out of the source material, though. One new addition is Sling Rings, little brass knuckles that let characters teleport. Derrickson explained: "The gateways, the forming of the gateways that are used for that, that's straight out of the comics. I just needed an object for them to carry it on."

Kevin Feige has said that Dr. Strange and Thor: Ragnarok are going to be by far the darkest films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. How will humor be used in Dr. Strange?

quote:

Injecting levity into tenuous scenes has been a large part of Marvel's success and will never go away. Of course, some of films have more humor than others.

As for Doctor Strange, director Scott Derrickson thinks the film has plenty of humorous moment, though not as jokey as Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) was. He believes the film's humor is more comparable to the judicious approach Joe and Anthony Russo took with humor in 2014's Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

"There's comedy in it, but it's not Guardians," Derrickson told ComicBook.com and other press during a visit to the Doctor Strange set. "It's not that tone, by any means. It's closer to Winter Soldier, which has comedy in it and has some really funny moments in it. I just named my two favorite Marvel movies, by the way, and part of my love for Winter Soldier is the high impact, grounded nature of the action in that movie and the subversive, grounded ideas of that movie within what is just one of the great kick-rear end action movies. That's what I love about Winter Soldier, in a nutshell. We have a lot of humor spread throughout, but it is a very grounded, realistic movie about a guy who suffers a lot and transforms, so it's also very dramatic. Yeah."

How will Magical Combat play out in the film?

quote:

According to Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige during our Doctor Strange set visit, figuring out how to make magic powers clash onscreen was tough: "I would say the use of magic for action sequences was something that it took a long time to figure out what road to take... Scott [Derrickson] was very smart in not wanting it to simply be somebody shoots a bolt of lightning and somebody blocks a bolt of lightning and somebody throws another bolt of lightning and someone blocks another bolt of lightning... we wanted to do something different."

Director Scott Derrickson told us on set that, "Preserving the idea of magic was really important to me, that we didn't try to explain it away or root it all in something scientific. That, by definition, is not magic to me....The comics had a few ideas in them that were, to this day, still very original. Those ideas we're using. The rest of it was very traditional, in the use of spells and even some of the imagery."

"For me, the starting point was what kind of things have we not seen in cinema ... I started from that place and looked for a way to tie that in to magic," Derrickson added. "Some of those ideas didn't tie in well, and some of those ideas tied in surprisingly well. The ones that tied in really well, those became the major set pieces for the movie."

We also wanted to tap into this notion of the multiverse, of dimensions right next to our own. If you're able to tap into those dimensions, into those other powers, what could you do?" Kevin Feige explained. "What could you do if you pull aspects of those other dimensions into our realm? All in the interest of creating a visual tapestry that is totally different in terms of an action scene than we've seen in any other movies... Really, this is about and the four main action scenes have been structured around sort of which power from which dimension are they going to use to screw with our world now? In doing so, give a canvas for an action scene totally different than anything we've done before."

What is Wong's relationship with Strange and how does it differ from the comics?

quote:

Instead of being a servant, the movie will highlight how Wong becomes an ally to Doctor Strange:

"It's how they've become allies together. I think that's what we're converting to. Then we'll just see how it evolves and how they explore it in the next one." Wong will have a role in training Stephen Strange and showing him the way, while at the same time helping him discover an entirely new mystical realm rather than just serving him tea. Wong comes from a long line of warrior monks who have pledged themselves to the Ancient One.

How many different costumes and looks will Strange go through in the film?

quote:

As you would expect, Stephen Strange goes through an assortment of costumes along his journey from being a rich, arrogant neurosurgeon to becoming the Sorcerer Supreme.

But before he becomes a powerful sorcerer, he must become a student of Tilda Swinton's Ancient One. And for that, Benedict Cumberbatch has to wear a very plain novice outfit.

"This is him. This is the first day at school kind of outfit," Cumberbatch told ComicBook.com during a set vist. "It seems to get cooler and it gets warmer, thank God, but it seems to get heavier and heavier."

"The Cloak of Levitation, which is a dear friend sometimes in certain takes becomes the Cloak of Imitations," he quipped. "I either trip on it, or it's like, 'Oh, God, is my entire body moving like this?' What actor playing a superhero doesn't complain about the costume? It's a blast. It's a real blast. And Alex [Byrne], our costume designer, she's a f--king genius."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 27, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think I have like negative hype for Dr.Strange.

But I'll still watch it as it looks interesting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
"How will Dr Strange be similar to the Watchman movie?"

...it'll have bob dylan music? :psypop:

Well, thank god for that because that's what makes Watchmen stand out. gently caress off.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

quote:

It also offers a fun spin on the Night Nurse character, who is depicted as being an underground source of healthcare for Marvel’s superhero population

Isn't Rosario Dawson's character in the Netflix series supposed to be Night Nurse?

Edit: turns out she was supposed to be Night Nurse but they got told there was plans for the character so they had to switch her out for a similar nurse character
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Nurse_(comics)#In_other_media

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Counterpoint: I think Dr Strange has a chance to be something beyond a potato chip because it's "the weird one".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Drifter posted:

Well, thank god for that because that's what makes Watchmen stand out. gently caress off.

The director isn't saying that it is like Watchmen because it has Dylan music. That interjection line was from Comicbook.com linking his Watchman inspiration and love of Dylan to make a story.

The director says he thought the opening scene in Watchmen was the best in history and he wanted to draw on how the film focused on superheroes suffering as a theme.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Counterpoint: I think Dr Strange has a chance to be something beyond a potato chip because it's "the weird one".

That's kind of where I am. I've fallen off Marvel's stuff pretty steep. I mean, I liked Civil War alright but I just can't muster much excitement for their movies any more. Dr. Strange at least looks visually interesting.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Personally I was disappointed by the trailers because none of the visuals seemed truly crazy or surreal. It's just more pseudo mysticism you can find in Batman Begins with some Inception moving cities. Nothing I saw really seemed that "weird" or visually interesting, especially what with always hearing Strange is well...the strange one...but I'm hoping they're saving up the really mind blowing stuff

It looks like "the weird one" the same way Winter Soldier was a "70s style political thriller"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Isn't Rosario Dawson's character in the Netflix series supposed to be Night Nurse?

Edit: turns out she was supposed to be Night Nurse but they got told there was plans for the character so they had to switch her out for a similar nurse character

Which is too bad because the character of Claire in the comics is actually a doctor.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Drifter posted:

I think it was just a little joke...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

TheFallenEvincar posted:

It looks like "the weird one" the same way Winter Soldier was a "70s style political thriller"

It is still weird to me that people latch onto that. I think some people have an issue distinguishing between "Aping themes and style inspiration from a genre" and "this action movie from 2014 was only minimally political and not released in the 1970's at all!"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It is still weird to me that people latch onto that. I think some people have an issue distinguishing between "Aping themes and style inspiration from a genre" and "this action movie from 2014 was only minimally political and not released in the 1970's at all!"
Oh I'm not confusing that personally speaking, I just don't even think it did the former. It's the same sort of empty PR speak you get before any of these movies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You can't deny that a big part of 3 Days of the Condor and Eiger Sanction was the idea that there was this shadowy cabal that was indirectly linked with the protagonist's organization and they were going after the protagonist for Knowing Too Much.

I mean, that doesn't make Winter Soldier a 70s style political thriller but it's not like there's no (superficial) similarities.

And a superficial appeal to weirdness is better than yet another grey Marvel movie set in a parking lot/tarmac/street.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Oh I'm not confusing that personally speaking, I just don't even think it did the former. It's the same sort of empty PR speak you get before any of these movies.

Like, "This movie is gonna be great!"

But yes, I'm looking forward to hearing what you all think of Dr Strange, to help me decide if it's something I want to go out or stay in to watch. I will say that all those ninja wizards jumping through buildings seem a little underwhelming.

I want some serious ancient elder god poo poo to be happening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlyDTEn32Fs

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 27, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Zola is a far less silly villain than Mr. Dragon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only other grey tarmac Marvel movie is from the same directors.

I know you're gonna post some Avengers screen caps, but it's not quite as grey as Civil War or Winter Soldier. It's just...not contrasted.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

The only other grey tarmac Marvel movie is from the same directors.

I know you're gonna post some Avengers screen caps, but it's not quite as grey as Civil War or Winter Soldier. It's just...not contrasted.

Their settings are boring rear end poo poo. They managed to make a cool desert town into a non-entity (Thor) and warzones that look like a drat sound-stage (First Avenger). Only Guardians of the Galaxy has anything resembling character, and even then...it's pretty weak.

Just look at Wonder Woman's treatment of WW1 in the trailer, look at the spaces she's occupying. Her island looks like a painting of Ithica. The WW1 stuff has actual presence. I'm hoping Dr. Strange captures a little of that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm hoping Dr. Strange captures a little of that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I like Marvel movies, though. But their formula - as with all narrative formulas - is yielding diminishing returns.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The thing I'm finding with Marvel movies is that I can accept that they are visually uninteresting, formulaic and mostly forgettable because they do in fact have at least a few gags in every movie. This is I like Ant Man and Iron Man 3 the most; they are the ones I found funniest. They're the sort of movies I can put on in the background while I do house work, or just easy viewing after a long day. But its getting tougher and tougher to enjoy them as I've gotten used to it. Civil War especially was a dour, joyless mess (with the exception of every scene involving Ant Man and Spiderman).

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Netflix shows gettin' shafted because God forbid Marvel have to work at continuity.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Meh. I rather the Netflix shows just change the name and be able to do what they want with Claire/Rosario instead of ending up handcuffed by some studio bureaucracy just to hold onto a relatively fringe character.

I doubt it changes Claire's character in the shows at all and that's really the most important thing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

New Dr. Strange TV spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xoxeCWpZyU

Cumberbatch's American accent sounds like Kiefer Sutherland. Also, Mads is lookin' and soundin' good.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Marvel movies are Good. Even the "weaker" movies are more entertaining than pre-MCU superhero movies, and most action movies in general. Even the "colorless" ones have more color than most other action movies.
All three Captain Americas, Iron Man 1 and 3, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Ant Man are all fantastic and very unique, and I would even rather watch the others than most movies in any genre.

I don't understand the complaints that they're just mediocre or blandly good or assembly line. What would spruce them up, short of just making fewer of them?

Soggy Cereal fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 28, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/JoeManganiello/status/780836089489530880

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Soggy Cereal posted:

Marvel movies are Good. Even the "weaker" movies are more entertaining than pre-MCU superhero movies

Superman: The Movie, Superman 2, Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Batman '89, Punisher: War Zone, Blade, and even Blade 2 are all varying degrees of "more entertaining" than the weaker Marvel movies, actually. YMMV

Edit: I forgot Batman '66, which is also a legit funny and cool movie.

Edit2: and X2, duh! Thanks Capone.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 28, 2016

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'd add X2 to that.

I will also add that after rewatching it last year for the first time in a long while, I have a newfound appreciation for Blade and I feel like it's a shame it seems to be generally forgotten. I mentioned it to a very nerdy friend a few months back and his response was to laugh at me thinking it was good. Plus speaking of genres, that is a movie that actually does stuff with its blaxploitation influence.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Dr. Strange got me thinking, has anyone ever read any of Alejandro Jodorowsky's comics? 'Cause they look dope.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Soggy Cereal posted:

Marvel movies are Good. Even the "weaker" movies are more entertaining than pre-MCU superhero movies, and most action movies in general. Even the "colorless" ones have more color than most other action movies.
All three Captain Americas, Iron Man 1 and 3, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Ant Man are all fantastic and very unique, and I would even rather watch the others than most movies in any genre.

I don't understand the complaints that they're just mediocre or blandly good or assembly line. What would spruce them up, short of just making fewer of them?

I like Marvel movies I think they get a lot of unnecessary poo poo, the safe and formulaic ones were the earlier ones but the last batch has tried (and mostly succeeded) to be more visually interesting and entertaining, I like Guardian and Ant-Man and CW a lot and am looking forward to Dr. Strange.

The "more entertaining than pre-MCU superhero movies and most action movies" thing is just crap though, and frankly the very reason Marvel gets so much backlash in here. Like they are fun, light movies that are enjoyable but constantly hearing about how they revolutionized the superhero genre and how "DC/Sony/Fox need to follow Marvel's example" is just tiresome, especially given the list M's J and Capone posted.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
No but I just read Fight Club 2 and it was the most perfectly stupid thing
They should turn that into a comic book movie

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Soggy Cereal posted:

I legitimately feel bad for you, given how narrow your experience has to be to actually believe this

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I legitimately feel bad for you, given how narrow your experience has to be to actually believe this
I actually kind of envy the guy. Imagine being able to say this:

quote:

seems blissful

ANY genre

VERY unique

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Punkin Spunkin posted:

No but I just read Fight Club 2 and it was the most perfectly stupid thing
They should turn that into a comic book movie

The Forrest Gump sequel would make an interesting movie too.

quote:

To make ends meet, Forrest takes a job as a janitor in a strip club in New Orleans. By chance one of the club's best customers is a rough football player for the New Orleans Saints known as "Snake", who used to play football for the University of Alabama alongside Forrest. Snake fears for his career as the Saints are having a horrible season, and recruits Forrest for the Saints. Forrest is unsure of playing in the NFL, citing how the players are much bigger than in college and how "with all that gear, you look like a man from Mars or something". Forrest also is astute about health issues, noting that as he has aged some of his famous running ability has been sapped, but agrees to do so on the basis of providing for Forrest and his ailing wife Jenny. Forrest does have a somewhat successful career in pro football, but is soon subject to the tactics of sports agents, which he has no knowledge or care about. In the middle of a game, Forrest is told that Jenny has died. Forrest tells the Saints that he cannot be at the next game so that he can deliver the eulogy at her funeral. The Saints' management believes this to be a holdout tactic, and he is cut from the team.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh gently caress, Forrest is a who-dat! :getin:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

K. Waste posted:

Dr. Strange got me thinking, has anyone ever read any of Alejandro Jodorowsky's comics? 'Cause they look dope.
If Zack Snyder reaches his potential, he will one day make The Holy Mountain of superhero films.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Oh gently caress, Forrest is a who-dat! :getin:

I didn't even read the rest of the synopsis but apparently Jenny's ghost appears multiple times to scold him for being a dumbass.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I with the guy who enjoys the Marvel movies. In fact I enjoy a lot of different movies, I know that's loving crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Looking forward to Forrest Gump 2 and the Dexter reboot that faithfully follows the book series

• Locked thread