Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I disliked Blackquill at the beginning too but he grew on me quickly. Godot and Edgeworth are where it's at still I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blackquill once he's free from jail and is able to be the bigass weeb he's meant to be is one of the best characters in the franchise.

He doesn't even need to prosecute, just please bring him back to be anal about Japan.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Ace attorney investigations III -- Journey of the Samurai prosecutor.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

I disliked Blackquill at the beginning too but he grew on me quickly. Godot and Edgeworth are where it's at still I guess.

While we're talking about prosecutors, what's so good about Godot? He drinks coffee, makes incomprehensible coffee metaphors, is a bit of a dick, and that's about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Godot's about tied with Nahyuta, just one step above Klavier.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Amppelix posted:

While we're talking about prosecutors, what's so good about Godot? He drinks coffee, makes incomprehensible coffee metaphors, is a bit of a dick, and that's about it.

He did he job as a prosecutor and generally took control of the court. I feel like their role as your opponent is the most important part of these characters, and that's part of why Klavier will always be dead last.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Coffee metaphors are funny and he's the prosecutor most personally motivated to defeat Phoenix which is neat. Like, Edgeworth is easily the most personal rival but the reason he became an rear end in a top hat and "The Demon Prosecutor" had nothing to do with Nick, while Godot's whole motivation is to defeat Nick because he hates him so much. Also, great theme.

Still on the lower end of Prosecutors though. Not everyone can be as good as Blackquill.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Poque posted:

he's basically Franziska, who is also terrible. He just says "putrid" instead of "fool" :colbert:

Franziska at least had several ways of calling you a fool that got increasingly ridiculous. Nahyuta just calls you a putrid lawyer and sometimes says you have a putrid mind too. His best insults were when he was describing the many different hells you would be sent to to the judge.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If you don't like Franziska you deserve to go on a whippety whip trip.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Franziska's a lame prosecutor but she's a lot better after AA2, and is very good outside of court.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
More like you don't deserve to go on a whippity whip trip.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Franziska is probably almost last in terms of prosecutors, only just above Klavier. She's terrible to fight and basically relies on attacking you rather than interesting gimmicks and drained the satisfaction of victory when she beat Phoenix unconscious after he won.

I'd honestly rank the prosecutors as Edgeworth > Von Karma > Blackquill > Godot > Ga'ran > Nahyuta > Franziska > Klavier.

Franziska getting better outside of course doesn't make her any less crappy as a prosecutor you face.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Me reading this thread right now:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Franziska is probably almost last in terms of prosecutors, only just above Klavier. She's terrible to fight and basically relies on attacking you rather than interesting gimmicks and drained the satisfaction of victory when she beat Phoenix unconscious after he won.

I'd honestly rank the prosecutors as Edgeworth > Von Karma > Blackquill > Godot > Ga'ran > Nahyuta > Franziska > Klavier.

Franziska getting better outside of course doesn't make her any less crappy as a prosecutor you face.

I personally do not think that the spoiler thing listed here should count.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mabels big day posted:

If Von Karma counts so do they.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
You are all forgetting de best prosecutor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mabels big day posted:

Why wouldn't it count?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Why wouldn't it count?

Because I don't like it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Godot's sexism drops him far for me

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Godot's sexism drops him far for me

Yeah, the antagonistic character having a negative quality to give you a reason to hate him more is bad.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Godot played totally fair, believed in the guilt of the defendant, and opposed Phoenix for personal reasons rather than some obsession with a perfect record. He prosecuted by building rapport with witnesses and adapting to developments and arguments on the fly. Also he was just cool as heck. Every main series prosecutor since has tried and failed to be Godot. Blackquill is by far the most successful of those, and he does have the advantage of getting to hang around and be a huge weeb after the conclusion of his arc, but he still can't match up to original recipe Godot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HenryEx posted:

what

His dumb pearl barrage looks cringe-worthy bad and is about as unsatisfying as can be, and it gets worse every time it gets repeated with no variation. It's a large part of why he's such a bad prosecutor to play against. Boring.
Because he's a jerk and I like ruining his day.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

Godot played totally fair, believed in the guilt of the defendant, and opposed Phoenix for personal reasons rather than some obsession with a perfect record. He prosecuted by building rapport with witnesses and adapting to developments and arguments on the fly. Also he was just cool as heck. Every main series prosecutor since has tried and failed to be Godot. Blackquill is by far the most successful of those, and he does have the advantage of getting to hang around and be a huge weeb after the conclusion of his arc, but he still can't match up to original recipe Godot.

I never got the impression Godot believed in the guilt of the defendant, or if that was even important to him. I thought it was all about him proving Phoenix Wright to be a stupid loser.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I like Edgeworth the most because he has an arc, and embodies the idea AA tries to sell of dialectics (when two sides engage in honest debate, the truth emerges). Blackquill is similar, less of an arc, but he's interested in the truth. He's an antagonist but not a villain. Franziska is too concerned with "her record" and "revenge", and undermines the series focus on how both prosecutors and defense attorneys are important parts of the justice system. I appreciate that Klavier was grating, but at least he's a good person. The thing that undermines him is that a prosecutor sort of needs to be an antagonist, but also embody that message. Klavier was a bit too friendly, so cornering him wasn't really satisfying.

I honestly don't remember much about Godot. As far as I remember, his twist was decent but was brought down by having too much of an axe to grind.

The only real exception is Von Karma, who was really bad, but he wouldn't have worked as a main prosecutor of a game. The thing that props him up is his involvement in Edgeworth's arc, and the fact that by bringing down this corrupt prosecutor you're redeeming the court system as being a place about honest debate with Edgeworth (who now has more character development). It's really the exact same thing as the "dark age of law" except better executed and with far less bombast.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think Nahyuta being wildly overprepared for things is a trait that can be built upon in a post AA6 world. I thought it was hilarious when he (Case 4) did a full rakugo skit that left even Blackquill, the biggest weeb, in shock

Yuty will be great, I doubt this is the last time Khura'in is seen in these games

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Forget prosecutors, here's my ranking of Defense Attorneys

Gregory Edgeworth > Mia Fey > Phoenix Wright > Miles Edgeworth > Apollo Justice > Raymond Shields > Simon Blackquill > Marvin Grossberg > Dhurke > Calisto Yew > Robert Hammond > Furio Tigre > Kristoph Gavin > Athena Cykes > Hugh O'Conner

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

I think Nahyuta being wildly overprepared for things is a trait that can be built upon in a post AA6 world. I thought it was hilarious when he (Case 4) did a full rakugo skit that left even Blackquill, the biggest weeb, in shock

Yuty will be great, I doubt this is the last time Khura'in is seen in these games

Yeah, I kind of have hope Nahyuta will pull a Franziska and be more entertaining in games after his introduction if he ever shows up again.

mabels big day posted:

Gregory Edgeworth > Mia Fey > Phoenix Wright > Miles Edgeworth > Apollo Justice > Raymond Shields > Simon Blackquill > Marvin Grossberg > Dhurke > Calisto Yew > Robert Hammond > Furio Tigre > Kristoph Gavin > Athena Cykes > Hugh O'Conner

Blackquill was never a defence attorney at most he was an assistant or consultant. With such a mistake how can any of these rankings hold water??

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I never got the impression Godot believed in the guilt of the defendant, or if that was even important to him. I thought it was all about him proving Phoenix Wright to be a stupid loser.

Well he seemed convinced of Ron DeLite's guilt right up until the end. He may have been a bit iffy on Maggey's guilt after meeting the Tiger, I'll grant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also Athena owns. Lotta big mistakes there, mabes. They're going to revoke your Phoenix Wright License and usher in the dark age of the attorney simulation.

Also known as Apollo Justice.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

I know you don't like Athena but its insanely hosed up to put Robert Hammond above her

That guy sucks

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I know you don't like Athena but its insanely hosed up to put Robert Hammond above her

That guy sucks

He did what he had to, and was killed in the line of duty.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

thanks alot assbag posted:

You are all forgetting de best prosecutor.
Legit hoping he makes it into the main series some day.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Yeah, the antagonistic character having a negative quality to give you a reason to hate him more is bad.

Yeah but the script reads to me like he was supposed to be a sympathetic character and you were supposed to feel sad for him having fallen to murder in the end. But I just can't, because he's a big sexist dick who holds stupid grudges for stupid reasons and who got Ami Fey killed for basically no reason. I don't care how much you literally call him cool in the game Takumi, I'm not buying it!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm a bit late, but Godot can own for having a smooth jazz theme and throwing coffee at Phoenix/chugging coffee as a breakdown without necessarily being a well-written or sympathetic character. There are different reasons to enjoy characters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Athena is great and I wish the mood matrix was used more in this otherwise awesome game.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Sexism is cool actually.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Nate RFB posted:

Athena is great and I wish the mood matrix was used more in this otherwise awesome game.

Mood Matrix is really fun and I think that Rayfa's doom seance thing was a really good expansion of a similar concept. Instead of using moods, it used the five senses and did a fantastic job of it. I like them both a lot.

I hope somebody smashes Apollo's bracelet in AA7 and mails each piece to a separate country.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Poque posted:

he's basically Franziska, who is also terrible. He just says "putrid" instead of "fool" :colbert:

He uses both, actually. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Poque posted:

I hope somebody smashes Apollo's bracelet in AA7 and mails each piece to a separate country.

Apollo's had all of one use of the bracelet that didn't rely on the person not just going "What? Nuh-uh, that's stupid" and that was pointing out the "Skull" on Kristoph Gavin's hand to nail him as the murderer.

Athena's Mood Matrix is much more fun, and it actually feels like something court-admissible because it's all right there on the fancy holographic screen plain as day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Apollo's Bracelet is just a worse version of the Magatama. They both detect when people are lying/concealing information, but the Magatama plays into the game mechanics whereas the bracelet is just a lovely infuriating minigame.