Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

FCKGW posted:

I've already said I'll vote for any bullshit gun law until the 2nd is repealed. You meatheads still try and tell me that won't solve any problems.

i have to admit that seeing gun owners act like entitled children over every little thing has pushed me from "yeah there should be some reasonable restrictions on firearms" to "i hope president hillary repeals the 2nd amendment and melts everybodys guns down in front of them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

I've already said I'll vote for any bullshit gun law until the 2nd is repealed. You meatheads still try and tell me that won't solve any problems.

Tell us where the post about guns touched you.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

FCKGW posted:

Basically this. I'm in favor of anything that makes owning a gun more annoying and socially unacceptable. That's the best tool we have right now to fight the toxic gun culture.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Trabisnikof posted:

So you're admitting the law would successfully stop prohibited prossessors now? Glad we've found agreement on that.

i just want all the guns registered so that we'll all know where they are that seems p uncontroversial

i mean y'know while we still have the 2nd amendment and all

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

FCKGW posted:

I'm for 2nd repeal and full confiscation of all guns actually.

It was also the worst mass killings in Japan since WW loving 2, a stat that Americans can only hope to acheive some day.

I'm pretty sure Americans already achieved high score on that already.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'll have to check again but I'm pretty sure the proposed law makes buying/selling ammo without undergoing the background check a misdemeanor?

Maybe that's just the failing to report stolen guns. Someone not posting from a Kindle check, please.

Also it's obvious guns are better than knives at killing, that's why guns supplanted swords. Guns are also not going away in any of our lifetimes, no matter how much you squeeze your eyes shut and wish they would. So, maybe advocating for and passing actually effective laws while admitting when garbage laws are proposed, that they're stupid wastes of time and resources and political capital, could be a better way forward towards a safer world.

It's depressing that that opinion is even controversial.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So what would effective gun control legislation look like? If there's already an effortpost or an article on this somewhere feel free to just quote that post or point me to the article or whatever. I've often heard the argument from gun people that there could be better legislation if politicians knew more about guns, but I've never actually heard what that better legislation would be.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

VikingofRock posted:

So what would effective gun control legislation look like? If there's already an effortpost or an article on this somewhere feel free to just quote that post or point me to the article or whatever. I've often heard the argument from gun people that there could be better legislation if politicians knew more about guns, but I've never actually heard what that better legislation would be.

Up until recently the common refrain was "enforcing the existing laws would be enough" so even acknowledging that there's a legislative fix is progress.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
This is not the general-purpose gun control thread, this is the California thread. If you want to talk about gun control, please make a thread about gun control.

Since this is the California thread, here is some California news:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

FCKGW posted:

I'm for 2nd repeal and full confiscation of all guns actually.

Well neither of us is ever going to get what we want so :shrug:

EDIT:

gently caress it. Let's run this state into the ground some more. Vote Yes on Everything.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I visited my friend in Sacramento this weekend and I actually think it is good and not bad.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
How the gently caress are anti-BDS laws even constitutional?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Bastard Tetris posted:

According to the article, this particular one just prevents the state from dealing with companies boycotting Israel (or any other sovereign state) rather than banning it outright.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

raminasi posted:

According to the article, this particular one just prevents the state from dealing with companies boycotting Israel (or any other sovereign state) rather than banning it outright.
So if Company A says it wont deal with Company B the State punishes them?

Sounds like bullshit. Makes sense since Israel is a special flower that requires the entire US government bend over and take whatever it is pushing. Since the US is a tiny powerless puppet state I guess theres no help for it.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

This seems like a good idea. The banning of the practice, I mean. Dehumanizing prisoners is always a bad idea so this is pretty much a no brainer.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
KQED's Forum is talking about Mountain View's Measure V (rent control) this morning, and the apartment association spokesman is insufferably political. "Wah wah! You're changing the rules on property owners and that's UNFAIR!" "People who earn $150k and above will benefit from this more than poors! Won't somebody think of the poors?" (which conveniently forgets that this is exactly the reason Social Security still exists today) "What you should be doing is building more housing, not attacking existing housing owners! *proceeds to vote against new housing since it would hurt their income*"

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

FRINGE posted:

Sounds like bullshit. Makes sense since Israel is a special flower that requires the entire US government bend over and take whatever it is pushing. Since the US is a tiny powerless puppet state I guess theres no help for it.

Oh, I think anti-boycott laws are revolting. I was just explaining why I don't think this one is blatantly unconstitutional.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

drat, that sucks. The USA has been boycotting sovereign nations since before its founding, and boycotts were a major force against the South African apartheid. Now Israel has its own apartheid, and California says boycotting that is a step too far.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

VikingofRock posted:

drat, that sucks. The USA has been boycotting sovereign nations since before its founding, and boycotts were a major force against the South African apartheid. Now Israel has its own apartheid, and California says boycotting that is a step too far.

Or rather, the State of California says that it won't do business with people who won't do business with Israel. A boycott of the boycotters, if you will.

Kenning posted:

I visited my friend in Sacramento this weekend and I actually think it is good and not bad.

I walked into a Chevron in Yuba City to get some sweet sugary snacks on the road between Grass Valley and Humboldt County. The gas station manager was sitting in his office, bottle of Seagram's Vodka clenched in one hand, drinking himself silly at 11 in the morning. When I commented on this to the cashier, she didn't even bat an eye. "Oh, He's going through a hard time right now".

I guess the hard time was the fact that he lived in Yuba City.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
What is this thread's opinion on proposition 61? I'm tempted to reflexively vote for it because gently caress pharmaceutical companies all day every day, but everything I hear about it makes it feel like it falls under "good intentions, but really lovely execution." Has anyone here looked into it closely?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

What is this thread's opinion on proposition 61? I'm tempted to reflexively vote for it because gently caress pharmaceutical companies all day every day, but everything I hear about it makes it feel like it falls under "good intentions, but really lovely execution." Has anyone here looked into it closely?

I'm not sure exactly what it covers, especially since it excludes stuff covered under Medicaid.

If California ever adopts Single Payer it'll be interesting to say the least though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Here's the California Legislative Analyst's take. The tl;dr is that the bill doesn't actually require pharmaceutical companies to sell at the VA price to state agencies, it just caps what those agencies are allowed to pay to what the VA is paying. So it's entirely possible pharma will just refuse to lower their prices and the state will be hosed and without the drugs they need unless they violate the price ceiling. Alternatively, it may just result in companies jacking up the VA rate to match what the state would otherwise be paying.

quote:

Scenario #1: Drug Manufacturers Offer Lowest VA Prices to the State. If manufacturers choose to offer the lowest VA prescription drug prices to the state, this measure may achieve state savings to the extent that the lowest price paid by the VA is lower than that paid by state entities. However, these savings could be at least partially offset if manufacturers respond by raising the prices of other drugs paid for by the state but not purchased by the VA.

Scenario #2: Drug Manufacturers Decline to Offer Lowest VA Prices to the State. The measure places no obligations on drug manufacturers to offer prescription drugs to the state at the lowest VA price. Therefore, drug manufacturers may decline to offer the state some or all of the drugs purchased by the VA at the lowest price paid by the VA. This manufacturer response could result in various state responses, each of which generates further uncertainty around the fiscal effects of the measure. These state responses could include:

State Programs Could Modify Formularies. Most state departments and programs have discretion over which drugs they make available to their beneficiaries. Should manufacturers decline to extend VA pricing on some or all drugs to these state entities, the entities may change which drugs they make available, offering only (1) those drugs that the VA does not purchase and (2) drugs that manufacturers will offer at the lowest VA price.

DHCS May Have to Disregard Measure’s Price Ceiling. DHCS, as administrator of California’s Medi-Cal program, is required by federal Medicaid law to offer most Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved prescription drugs to beneficiaries. Failing to offer an FDA-approved drug would likely result in the loss of federal financial participation in the pharmacy portion of the Medi-Cal program. Should manufacturers decline to extend VA pricing to Medi-Cal, DHCS may have to disregard the measure and pay higher prices than the measure allows in order to comply with federal Medicaid law. Furthermore, the measure could endanger the supplemental rebates that DHCS collects from drug manufacturers because these rebates derive from voluntary state agreements with manufacturers that, were the negotiated prices higher than the VA’s, could contravene the measure’s provisions about allowable agreements. In such circumstances, the measure could raise DHCS spending on prescription drugs.

Scenario #3: Drug Manufacturers Raise VA Drug Prices Given Their New Pricing Benchmark Role. To continue to be able to offer prescription drugs to state entities and minimize reductions in their revenues, drug manufacturers may elect to raise VA drug prices. The fiscal effect of the measure would vary under this scenario depending on the extent to which manufacturers raise VA prices and tie state prices to the higher VA prices. When VA drug prices were previously extended to Medicaid nationally, drug manufacturers responded by raising VA drug prices before the U.S. Congress subsequently removed the linkage between VA and Medicaid pricing.

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

Bastard Tetris posted:

They're not.

quote:

The first amendment also protects against government retaliation for protected speech; if the government said for instance "anyone who publicly expresses opinion A is ineligible for a driver's license" or "any company which donates to gay rights groups is ineligible to apply for government contracts", that would violate the first amendment because it singles people and organizations out on the basis of their speech/writing/1st amendment-protected-activity. That's precisely what these laws do: if you express opinion A, you will be ineligible to apply for government programs/contracts for which you would be eligible if you did not express opinion A.

quote:

Or rather, the State of California says that it won't do business with people who won't do business with Israel. A boycott of the boycotters, if you will.

The difference is that BDS asks governments to boycott Israel because of Israel's actions in violation of international law whereas the government of California is boycotting individuals and organizations because they expressed the opinion that "What Israel is doing is wrong and I choose not to support that." Boycotting is covered by the first amendment; bombing Gaza or torturing Palestinian civilians is not.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

There already exists tons of effective gun legislation in the US. Thousands upon thousands of laws from the Federal, State, County, down to Local level.

The problem is enforcement.

In 2009, the Federal Bureau of Investigation referred more than 71,000 such cases to ATF, but U.S. attorneys ultimately prosecuted only 77 of them."

The president is directly able to influence the ATF and the number of people they prosecute. Why hasn't Obama done more on this front?

Violent criminals get let out of prison after 6 months or a year because the prisons are full. Notably in California they let violent rapists caught in the act out of jail after only 3 months. Why are they full? Because the only mandatory minimums we have are for drug crimes and our prisons are full of non-violent drug offenders. Eliminate the war on drugs and mandatory minimums for drug crimes and enact mandatory minimums for crimes committed with firearms.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pretty sure when violent rapist get 3 months in prison it is because they're well connected not because the prisons are full.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Shbobdb posted:

Basically this. I'm in favor of anything that makes owning a gun more annoying and socially unacceptable. That's the best tool we have right now to fight the toxic gun culture.

"toxic gun culture" doesn't really make any sense as a phrase or concept and even if such a thing did exist i fail to see how it would relate to violent crime, but i applaud you two for being honest about your intentions

VikingofRock posted:

most (or at least a significant amount) of the legislation on the books targets enthusiast items ("""assault rifles""", imported ex-military stuff, silencers/short barrel rifles/grenade launchers, machineguns etc) even though something like 90% of firearm homicides are committed with handguns. this is because most gun control advocates feel the same as the two posters above but know they have to stay "in the closet" to be taken seriously, and know that it's easier to get the public to support banning MILITARY ASSAULT WEAPONRY ON OUR STREETS than it is to get them to back a ban on uncle jimbo's sixshooter. this is where you get the sentiment in your post from, virtually nobody gets murdered with multi-thousand dollar collector items but they're always the target of new laws.

i honestly believe you could get rid of every restriction, i'm talking rocket launchers shipped direct to your front door, without seeing any real change in homicide/murder rates. australia's confiscation program went far, far beyond anything that would ever be possible here and it didn't do a thing to their murder rate, and yet here in this very thread we have people claiming that this latest law will finally be the ticket, 1003rd time's the charm and when it doesn't work well of course it's because we didn't have X other law, let's pass that too.

i think realistically the most effective gun control law would be a ban on poor people owning guns. most of the extant laws already drift this way (adding more and more hoops, for example the laws in california make buying a gun a multi-hour process that more or less requires you to own a car or be on a lease/rental agreement) and it's a fact that they commit the most murder. might as well go whole hog.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

ComradeCosmobot correctly pointed out that a general discussion of gun control doesn't belong in this thread, so I'm hesitant to go into great detail since the connection to the California proposition becomes increasingly tenuous the further we go down that particular tangent.

Suffice it to say that I think gun control laws (and actually all laws addressing or containing prohibitions) should be scientifically rigorous. That is, we should pass, uphold, and remove laws based on evidence of the outcomes, as opposed to opinions about the outcomes which are all too often wildly at odds with any actual evidence.

I am not opposed to passing temporary laws without conclusive evidence, with the goal of measuring the effectiveness of the law and then making it permanent, modifying it, or taking it off the books based on the measured outcomes.

Of course, this messy world doesn't always permit us to easily analyze evidence. Violent crime rates are a perfect example: there are clearly many different factors at play that affect violent crime rates, and it might be wildly immoral as well as impractical to attempt to make a control in order to separate out one factor and test a solution for it. That is, it would not be acceptable to temporarily stop providing food assistance to people living in poverty, in order to determine whether availability of food assistance affects crime rates. So instead we are left with the responsibility to attempt to measure outcomes despite multiple factors which are all continuously in flux. Some might claim this is completely intractable.

But I disagree. At times it may not be possible to conclusively prove that a law has been successful, but it is often possible to conclusively prove that a law has failed. The most severe impediment to measuring the efficacy of a law is the fact that laws are presently unevenly enforced (when they're enforced at all). It's very difficult to tell if a law is effective when it's only or mostly enforced against poor black people, for example. This leads me to the conclusion that while we should not wholly abandon any attempt to improve legislation that aims to reduce violent crime rates, suicide rates, and accidental death rates, all of which might be affected by gun control laws; a more immediately effective way to both begin accurately measuring the theoretical efficacy of our existing laws, and simultaneously make much-needed improvements in the level of justice in American society, would be to work really hard on being a lot less loving incredibly goddamn racist about how we apply the resources of our police and criminal justice systems.

e. I still managed to be obscure I'm afraid. To clarify: I'm in favor of good gun control. I think some of the laws we already have are good, some are ok, and some are really dumb. I think there are laws we don't have that would be good. One example is that right now you don't count as ineligible to buy a gun based on mental illness unless you've been admitted to a hospital for psych reasons, which excludes millions of people with clinical depression who were never admitted during some crisis or another. That's really dumb. People taking antidepressants for clinical depression probably shouldn't be allowed to buy or own a gun. Even more so, people taking antipsychotics. Moreover people prescribed any medication that can have serious mental impairment as a side effect probably shouldn't be allowed to buy or own guns. The laws we have right now are obviously inadequate.

But illustrating the points I was just discussing, it's tough for me to think such laws would have the effect we really want them to have, while we're still being super stupid about how we provide (or mostly don't provide) adequate mental health care for people with no or bad or cheap health insurance, and since poor people are disproportionately more likely to commit violent crimes, making it harder for people getting treatment for mental health issues to get guns might not have the measurable evidence to conclusively prove or disprove the efficacy of such laws, regardless of whether those laws "ought" to be effective as-written. A really bad possible outcome might be mentally ill people who want to keep or buy a gun deliberately avoiding getting medical treatment for their mental illness in order to avoid being disqualified for gun ownership. How could we measure that properly, while we're still basically loving over poor people w/r/t access to medical care and especially mental health care?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 27, 2016

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

A White Guy posted:

Or rather, the State of California is ready to financially punish US citizens that wont send money to a non-US state entity.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

KQED's Forum is talking about Mountain View's Measure V (rent control) this morning, and the apartment association spokesman is insufferably political. "Wah wah! You're changing the rules on property owners and that's UNFAIR!" "People who earn $150k and above will benefit from this more than poors! Won't somebody think of the poors?" (which conveniently forgets that this is exactly the reason Social Security still exists today) "What you should be doing is building more housing, not attacking existing housing owners! *proceeds to vote against new housing since it would hurt their income*"

I didn't tune in for this episode, but KQED Forum owns.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FRINGE posted:

Not being selected to receive government contracts is generally not considered a punishment.

FreshlyShaven posted:

They're not.

The first amendment also protects against government retaliation for protected speech; if the government said for instance "anyone who publicly expresses opinion A is ineligible for a driver's license" or "any company which donates to gay rights groups is ineligible to apply for government contracts", that would violate the first amendment because it singles people and organizations out on the basis of their speech/writing/1st amendment-protected-activity. That's precisely what these laws do: if you express opinion A, you will be ineligible to apply for government programs/contracts for which you would be eligible if you did not express opinion A.
:lol: what are you on? First, as noted above, "being selected as a vendor to provide goods and services to the government" is generally not held to be a constitutional right. The government has pretty wide latitude in how it awards contracts, which is why they are allowed to favor minority/disabled/etc businesses.

Second, commercial activity is generally not considered to be protected speech.

Finally, the government has a compelling interest in prohibiting U.S. companies from participating in foreign-organized boycotts, which is how the federal anti-boycott law works.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I didn't tune in for this episode, but KQED Forum owns.

Forum is basically the only thing worth listening to NPR anymore. God drat the rest of their programming has really gotten lovely.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

You mean the show where the host asks the most idiotic questions of knowledgeable guests, then cuts them off to go to a somehow vastly worse question from a callin? That KQED forum?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

You mean the show where the host asks the most idiotic questions of knowledgeable guests, then cuts them off to go to a somehow vastly worse question from a callin? That KQED forum?

Exactly that, yes. Pathetically, it's the best show of it's format I'm aware of.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Exactly that, yes. Pathetically, it's the best show of it's format I'm aware of.

Yeah I can't handle call in shows (other than car talk) and I recognize that. But I'm just going to stick this here:

https://soundcloud.com/kevintownsend/michael-krasnys-isis-joke-on-kqeds-forum

(If that joke was made on El Chapo I might have laughed.)

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Forum is total dogshit and I die inside every time I have to drive to Sacramento because I'm usually driving after morning rush hour which means news is ending (is there something bad about California Report) and Forum is beginning. I would rather listen to right wing AM radio in some weird reverberating southeast Asian language that sounds like a numbers station merged with a cult broadcast than have to listen to total loving dimwits obliterate what little faith I have in the electorate.

Driving home usually entails hearing the outro theme to Newshour and then being punished with the money show whatever it's called. Then because I'm crossing multiple mountain barriers/regions I lose all track of whatever animal-named station is playing classic rock (which now seems on the cusp of including Kid Rock and Korn as old enough to be classic) and I turn off the radio and drive in mute silence.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You guys need to import LA based KCRW. Every few years its like they get another repeater station further up north.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

RandomPauI posted:

You guys need to import LA based KCRW. Every few years its like they get another repeater station further up north.
KCRW owns bones. They have a streaming iphone/android app that is the best $0.99 I've ever spent.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Forum is good, some of the callers are bad.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kobayashi posted:

Forum is good, some of the callers are bad.

Also some of the guests are bad but you can usually tell.

Anyway I don't understand why Forum is so bad when you could always be listening to Democracy Now Democracy Now Dot Org The War And Peace Report, which airs at the same time.

I think the choice is clear.

(We won't even talk about Rush Limbaugh, which must be airing somewhere at the same time. I dunno. I stay off the AM dial.)

RandomPauI posted:

Left, Right & Center is complete and utter garbage. I'm glad it's only a rebroadcast on one station here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Zachack posted:

Forum is total dogshit and I die inside every time I have to drive to Sacramento because I'm usually driving after morning rush hour which means news is ending (is there something bad about California Report) and Forum is beginning. I would rather listen to right wing AM radio in some weird reverberating southeast Asian language that sounds like a numbers station merged with a cult broadcast than have to listen to total loving dimwits obliterate what little faith I have in the electorate.

Driving home usually entails hearing the outro theme to Newshour and then being punished with the money show whatever it's called. Then because I'm crossing multiple mountain barriers/regions I lose all track of whatever animal-named station is playing classic rock (which now seems on the cusp of including Kid Rock and Korn as old enough to be classic) and I turn off the radio and drive in mute silence.

You sound real mad and you must be talking about 96.9 THE EAGLE

The host of forum asks good questions and the show addresses most important Bay Area issues. The idiot callers are a feature.

"We'll let that comment stand and move to the next caller"