Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
so far the only thing I've sent down the drain was the needle off one of my syringes, but the sinks at work terrify me because they're ancient and just have an open drain hole (and a plug on a chain if you want to stop them up). I usually put a paper towel over the drain so it'll let water out but will hopefully catch any nibs before they get washed away.

e: happy page 200 :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pixelante posted:

Someone else in the thread also commented that the brass pens leave a scent on your hands. I don't know if that'd bother me.

I was worried about that but it's never been a problem. I think I noticed it on the first day only bc I was obsessively sniffing my hands after using it -that's easily one of the weirdest sentences I've posted on these forums- but I've never really noticed it since. Can't vouch for other brass but kaweco has been a non-issue

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

bale. posted:

I was worried about that but it's never been a problem. I think I noticed it on the first day only bc I was obsessively sniffing my hands after using it -that's easily one of the weirdest sentences I've posted on these forums- but I've never really noticed it since. Can't vouch for other brass but kaweco has been a non-issue

Well duh since you get used to the smell.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:doh: Of course! Ugh, I feel so dumb. The obvious solution is to run around shoving my hands in strangers' faces and asking their opinion

Thank god I can use the awesome pen as an icebreaker, otherwise that could get crazy awkward!

Thanks for looking out friend :cool::hf::cool:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

bale. posted:

The obvious solution is to run around shoving my hands in strangers' faces and asking their opinion

This is easily the weirdest sentence.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Right? It's always the smaller subforums that get me.

Looking at you watch thread :argh:

So I don't derail thread further, can I substitute red ink for magenta, blue for cyan, etc and still get decent colors from mixing them? That's my plan bc I don't see why it wouldn't, I just wanted to know if anyone has done it or their preferred setup. So far I've only ventured into the normal blue/black combos but I want to start writing down ink mix ratios and get some fun colors going.

For mixing I mainly use lamy ink because it's a good value for the money, but I'm going to start picking up pelikan for more options and because people say they mix together with no problems.

Holy poo poo that was a rambling rear end post.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
This is like asking if you can mix paints that aren't cmyk.

Yes of course you can. But like, I wouldn't expect to copy cmyk/rgb values out of photoshop or whatever and expect to get that with ink, if that's what you're after.

I mean, if you really want, I think Sailor has a mixing chart for whatever they're calling their line of regular inks now, so you can just follow a recipe if you'd like. I haven't really messed around with mixing stuff too much beyond "this is too light, I'll just add some of this darker blue to it," so I'm fine with ~1/10mL precision out of a syringe and mixing the poo poo in a little sample vial. It's not like you'd want to mix up huge quantities anyway if you're just trying stuff out.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That's what I've always done with no problems (grab ink. pour into same bottle. bam. a color) I was just thrown off by the amount of people on pen forums finding inks that matched printer ink perfectly. Once you mentioned photoshop it finally clicked that If their aim is to get a specific color and follow color "recipes" based on cmyk, then of course you'd need the correct base colors.

In conclusion I throw colors together casually and people trying to make/replicate specific colors never even entered my mind.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

bale. posted:

In conclusion I throw colors together casually and people trying to make/replicate specific colors never even entered my mind.

This is what that crazy guy who runs Noodlers does and the number of problems his inks have (Baystate Blue's perma-staining, lots of them gunking up nibs etc) kinda goes to show what a difficult job it is getting certain colour effects

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Completely agree. I stick to buying from a few companies that are known to play nice with each other so I can play around without thinking about it.

Although I have to keep an eye on a few bottles that I contaminated with old ink from the pen before I knew that was a thing.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

kim jong-illin posted:

This is what that crazy guy who runs Noodlers does and the number of problems his inks have (Baystate Blue's perma-staining, lots of them gunking up nibs etc) kinda goes to show what a difficult job it is getting certain colour effects

he also puts a crazy amount of surfactant in most of his inks, iirc, because otherwise there's no way to get both the flow properties required of a fountain pen ink and all the invulnerability/laserfastness/whatever stops the bogeyman from forging all his cheques next

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
FYI matte black fine VP for $100 on amazon. Only 3 left (was 4 but I grabbed one!).

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks dude!! Only one left now.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Does anyone know how well the Goulet 52gsm Tomoe River notebooks handle ghosting and bleedthrough, particularly against something around the size of a Pilot M or Lamy F? The notebooks that came with my fauxdori ghost like crazy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magnus Praeda posted:

Does anyone know how well the Goulet 52gsm Tomoe River notebooks handle ghosting and bleedthrough, particularly against something around the size of a Pilot M or Lamy F? The notebooks that came with my fauxdori ghost like crazy.
I cannot say for sure, but I was looking up Tomoe River paper--and should have some B5 sheets coming in next month that I can punch for a Japanese B5 binder. I got it for the crazy sheening. It was my understanding the quality that leads to that is the tightness and smoothness of the paper. Consequently, it has a long dry time, and that has been universal regardless of the pen. Some pens are wetter than others, but the dry time has been a problem regardless. I had heard about the bleedthrough due to the paper thinness, but nothing about it carrying to the next sheet.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Speaking for the 52gsm loose sheets: I never get bleed through but do get some ghosting because it is so thin. It's not enough to stop it from being legible. I would write on both sides without much worry. Maybe stick to lighter ink just in case?

The dry time is really long, but the paper produces such nice results I don't care. You might for a notebook- maybe keep a sheet of blotting paper with it.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

effika posted:

Speaking for the 52gsm loose sheets: I never get bleed through but do get some ghosting because it is so thin. It's not enough to stop it from being legible. I would write on both sides without much worry. Maybe stick to lighter ink just in case?

The dry time is really long, but the paper produces such nice results I don't care. You might for a notebook- maybe keep a sheet of blotting paper with it.

Both good ideas. I might switch to brown ink (Tsukushi or MB's Toffee Brown or something) and having some blotter paper on hand is probably a good idea anyway.

When you say "really long" though, are we talking 30 seconds or 5 minutes?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Magnus Praeda posted:

Both good ideas. I might switch to brown ink (Tsukushi or MB's Toffee Brown or something) and having some blotter paper on hand is probably a good idea anyway.

When you say "really long" though, are we talking 30 seconds or 5 minutes?

Both, depending on the ink/nib. I had a page of Noodler's Navajo Turquoise that I wrote with a pen that's basically a slightly controlled firehose and it took at least 10 minutes. I also wrote with the same ink with a drier pen and it was definitely under a minute.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Tomoe River has almost zero actual bleedthrough but you will definitely be able to see your writing through the paper.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Got annoyed with terrible ballpoint pens when reviewing papers and bought a Lamy Safari. Guess I have to find something to write now. It sure is pleasant to use.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I'm finally getting around to inking a pen with my Tekker custom ink. In less-than-ideal light it looks exactly like what I was hoping. Behavior seems acceptable or better on all fronts so far, but I'll post pictures and a more thorough review when I have daylight.

At $15 for 100mL, this seems pretty excellent.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I yanked the nib off a Plumix and shoved it in a Metro. It was really hard to pry out of the Plumix, so it might be a tiny bit bent. It mostly works well, but the flow is intermittently too heavy. Considering where the nib is from, I'm not expecting miracles, but are there any suggestions to smooth that out a bit?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You should check the time alignment with a loupe. It's also possible that the nib is slightly warped and not sitting flat on the feed.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I have a Jinhao x750 and have a complete set of nibs for it. I like the pen, but it dries out really easily. I don't suppose there's another pen that takes #6 nibs that is more air tight?

I have other pens that don't dry out for ages, but my Jinhao is sparkly & so more fun to use.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pixelante posted:

I yanked the nib off a Plumix and shoved it in a Metro. It was really hard to pry out of the Plumix, so it might be a tiny bit bent. It mostly works well, but the flow is intermittently too heavy. Considering where the nib is from, I'm not expecting miracles, but are there any suggestions to smooth that out a bit?

I just took off the nib + feed - I couldn't get the nib off and that was much easier.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Update: got my Matte Black VP. Thing writes GREAT. Really looking forward to this being my new daily driver.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

effika posted:

I have a Jinhao x750 and have a complete set of nibs for it. I like the pen, but it dries out really easily. I don't suppose there's another pen that takes #6 nibs that is more air tight?

I have other pens that don't dry out for ages, but my Jinhao is sparkly & so more fun to use.

In a similar price bracket you've got the Nemosine Singularity that accepts #6 nibs.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Finally got around to inking up my pens with the ink I got from Keetron. He also included a surprise pen - a Waterman Hemisphere! It writes very well. Nice little pen. Also included are the three pens I got from atholbrose - a Pilot Namiki Falcon, TWBSI Vac 700 and Pilot Vanishing point. All three are great. I don't think the Diamine Silver Fox is a good ink for it though - the shading is nice (hard to tell in the picture) but it railroads a lot. I didn't have that issue with the other couple inks I tried in it after getting the pen. All of the Diamine inks are from their 150 year anniversary and in addition to that is the Night Sky shimmer ink, which I put in my Desiderata flex to really see if the shimmer was noticeable. It is noticeable for sure but I am still on the fence about it. It is cool but not sure if it is my thing. I included a closeup of that ink so you could more easily see the shimmer. On the full page shot you can see it start to shimmer the further across the page it goes, although in the photo it looks like it is just going from black to grey to white.

I know it is not a fair representation of the inks to be using different pens, but here it is.

new pens

pens used, in order of use

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have been playing with this Parker Vector I got since it theoretically can be pretty wet. It's a thin little thing. I feel like I'm pinching it to write with it, and I'm not too neat with it. Is there a fairly inexpensive regular writer that's:

1. Pretty thick and big. Like, thicker than a Pilot Metro
2. Writes wet
3. Writes around the .5mm-.6mm range
4. Is easy to clean and refill
5. Has a contour to it: this disqualifies the Lamy Safari
6. Can take being dropped on the ground

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
My Desiderata pen has written like poo poo ever since I first cleaned it. What's your secret?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have been playing with this Parker Vector I got since it theoretically can be pretty wet. It's a thin little thing. I feel like I'm pinching it to write with it, and I'm not too neat with it. Is there a fairly inexpensive regular writer that's:

2. Writes wet

An Ahab, probably. Donno about the line width, but they just use regular-rear end no. 6 nibs so I'm sure you'd manage.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

NeurosisHead posted:

In a similar price bracket you've got the Nemosine Singularity that accepts #6 nibs.

At those prices even if they dry out just as fast as my Jinhao I won't feel too bad. Nice.

I really like having interchangable nibs. I have a set for my Lamy Al-Stars, too.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

My Desiderata pen has written like poo poo ever since I first cleaned it. What's your secret?

I don't know - I've had it for about 18 months and if anything it is now too wet for my tastes. Is it a Daedalus or one of the wood ones with a sac? Mine has a sac and I have wondered if the writing experience would be different with another filling mechanism. The only times I have had significant issues were the couple times I spent a long time not using it and then coming back to it (like, months of not using it). Nib replacements fixed it though - is it writing poorly even with a new nib?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Glad to see you like the pens, rio. Yu-yake was the first ink I put in the Vac 700 -- such a good match for its color. And the Night Sky in the Desiderata... wow.

I went down to Appointments yesterday to pick up the Lamy Scala Glacier I'd asked for -- the finish is even prettier than I'd expected, with a really great feel to it. And man, these Lamy gold nibs are nice. They also had a surprise for me, a little bit of omake, you could say: a bottle of Sailor Jentle Chu-Shu, which hasn't actually hit the streets yet. It's a gorgeous purply grey, and I just love it.

Here's some terrible pictures.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lowness 72 posted:

Update: got my Matte Black VP. Thing writes GREAT. Really looking forward to this being my new daily driver.

Same here! Initially surprised by its heft, but it's a well-balanced. Some people mentioned the clip interferes with their grip, I don't even notice the clip while writing.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

2. Writes wet

The TWBSI Vac 700 I just got used from a goon (pictured above) would probably fit your bill, except perhaps the price. Not sure what your price range is but 60-70 bucks is not much in fountain pen fun bucks. The Ahab might do it too but it smells like poo poo for months before going away (and not completely) and writes like poo poo for months before you decide to throw away the flex nib, but in the non flex nib and adjust the feed yourself. Expect to work on that pen and for it not to write well out of the box.

As far as super cheap, getting a Platinum Preppy and converting it to an eye dropper is close to the best bang for the buck you will ever find. Cheap as anything, a great writer, and tons of ink capacity converted to an eye dropper. It is also a nice feeling (if plasticky but for the price you can't complain) pen. Not too thick but certainly not thin. Close to a Metropolitan with less of a taper so it does end up a little thicker feeling.

Edit: altholbrose- great minds think alike. I had kon-peki in it first and I dumped it. Couldn't NOT have an orange in there.

That Scala looks really nice.

rio fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 30, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

2. Writes wet

Got a price in mind?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

rio posted:

I don't know - I've had it for about 18 months and if anything it is now too wet for my tastes. Is it a Daedalus or one of the wood ones with a sac? Mine has a sac and I have wondered if the writing experience would be different with another filling mechanism. The only times I have had significant issues were the couple times I spent a long time not using it and then coming back to it (like, months of not using it). Nib replacements fixed it though - is it writing poorly even with a new nib?

It's a Daedalus with a sac. I had forgotten about those nibs being dip nibs and prone to wear and oxidizing.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

grack posted:

Got a price in mind?

Ehh maybe $50. It'll probably be my primary home writer.

Re: Ahabs: I actually got my mom one of those for Mother's Day. I got her a clear demonstrator. I did all the coddling for her. Yeah, those flex nibs only flex if you're stabbing the paper. Do the non-clear ones also smell like chemicals? It might be interesting--due to all the modding around them--if I could get the gold flex nib I have to fit onto it.

I'd probably not like an eyedropper. I'm only fiddly like that when trying new inks. Okay, I do that a lot, but it's settling down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Ehh maybe $50. It'll probably be my primary home writer.

Re: Ahabs: I actually got my mom one of those for Mother's Day. I got her a clear demonstrator. I did all the coddling for her. Yeah, those flex nibs only flex if you're stabbing the paper. Do the non-clear ones also smell like chemicals? It might be interesting--due to all the modding around them--if I could get the gold flex nib I have to fit onto it.

I'd probably not like an eyedropper. I'm only fiddly like that when trying new inks. Okay, I do that a lot, but it's settling down.

All of the Ahabs smell like that. It's the "vegetal resin" used in their production, which just a plastic made with vegetable oil rather than dead dinosaur oil. Cool material, very unique smell, and also very common in Indian mass produced brands (Wality, Airmail, Camlin, Owner, etc.).

I know that I just mentioned the Nemosine, but they have a nib option that's about a .6 - .8mm stub that actually is pretty awesome too. Way cheap, cartridge/converter, and a hojillion different body colors to choose from. My only criticism of the pen is that it takes this weird converter that's like 7/8ths the length of a standard international converter but identical otherwise. Cartridges fit fine though.