Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Glad you went with that motor, its likely to be WAYYY better than either of the ones in my garage. My Dad had bought the newer of the 2 about a decade ago for a sailboat that we used to have. He never even started it. The other one has also been sitting for about 15-20 years since we got rid of the boat it was on (yes at one point my Dad had 2 sailboats, and neither one of them were seaworthy).

Also I like the tags. And the cabinets are gonna be sweet. You may want to look into adding some chalkboard paint to some of them, for doodles, and lists. I have a giant chalkboard in my kitchen and its awesome for stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Oh poo poo you just uncovered the missus's surprise great idea of putting chalkboard paint on each drawer and door for labeling purposes

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
You're gonna have a lot of chalky thigh-fronts until you learn not to lean in to the bench 😃

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

That's.... that's my fetish?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I just use sharpie on masking tape. Rip tape off drawer when text no longer matches contents.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I dont believe you understand the level of anal the missus has about his cabinets. Doing that would probably get me murdered.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Storytime: I routed the black iron pipe to my liking and was like "hell yeah we have shop air!"

I came back from work to find he'd taken all of it down and re-did it to make sure every piece was level.

The closest analogy I can give you is Project Binky. He waits for the beep. On everything.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Actually the two guys in Project Binky are a great analogy for our work relationship. I'm learning a shitload from him about detail-oriented work and all sorts of carpentry stuff and I just let him do his thing and it comes out amazing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

I dont believe you understand the level of anal the missus has about his cabinets. Doing that would probably get me murdered.

You guys should get those brightly coloured alphabet letter magnets that they give to third-graders to put on the fridge.

e: holy gently caress that's a good idea

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You guys should get those brightly coloured alphabet letter magnets that they give to third-graders to put on the fridge.

e: holy gently caress that's a good idea

Upgrade the magnets though - that 3rd grade stuff is bullshit!! You can't even slam a drawer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Astonishing Wang posted:

Upgrade the magnets though - that 3rd grade stuff is bullshit!! You can't even slam a drawer.

Yeah, if someone came out with alphabet-letter rare earth magnets that poo poo would be just about perfect.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The 14" thread is that way ->

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Adiabatic posted:

Oh poo poo you just uncovered the missus's surprise great idea of putting chalkboard paint on each drawer and door for labeling purposes

Sorry, didn't know it was in the works, and a surprise. :(

I was thinking a frame on the front of the doors, similar to a shaker style kitchen cabinet, where the center is chalkboard, and you can write lists and stuff on it.

I watch too much HGTV.

Also good to know the missus and I have similar ideas. He has good taste.

I have a little vinyl cutter, so thats how I label stuff like that anymore (I got it purposely for making stupid stickers).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Adiabatic posted:

Storytime: I routed the black iron pipe to my liking and was like "hell yeah we have shop air!"

I came back from work to find he'd taken all of it down and re-did it to make sure every piece was level.

The closest analogy I can give you is Project Binky. He waits for the beep. On everything.

as a mildly OCD prankster I can never decide whether to leave things slightly out of level/square to tweak my OCD friends, or make them all perfectly square and level and whatnot to satisfy my perfectionism. The struggle is real.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

You guys are gonna kill me but, it shouldn't necessarily be level.

When air moves from a higher pressure to a lower pressure - such as when it goes from a high-pressure tank through a manifold and into your shop pipes while you are using air - moisture precipitates out of it. If your shop pipes are all perfectly level, that moisture will tend to collect along the bottom of those black iron pipes and rust them. If you keep the pressure in the pipe lower than the pressure in the tank, moisture will repeatedly precipitate out, then get reabsorbed, then precipitate out again, etc. etc.

You can mitigate this with appropriate moisture traps after every manifold where pressure can drop. But an additional precaution would be to make sure the pipe all slopes slightly, and then place a moisture release valve at the lowest point.

Note: I am not an expert on this poo poo, this is just my understanding.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Astonishing Wang posted:

You're gonna have a lot of chalky thigh-fronts until you learn not to lean in to the bench 😃

Not if you use chalk markers, yo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Wait... I thought you're not supposed to have iron be level, but instead angled toward the drain?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

You guys are gonna kill me but, it shouldn't necessarily be level.
Note: I am not an expert on this poo poo, this is just my understanding.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Wait... I thought you're not supposed to have iron be level, but instead angled toward the drain?

For iron pipe, correct.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Both you and Leper understand this. I didn't want to say it.

It doesn't need to be much, but it should have slope.

edit: efb

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I knew this and originally put about a 1"/10ft slope towards what I considered my primary drain leg.

When he leveled everything I didn't give a gently caress because I have drains on either side of the header before each takeoff.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Motronic posted:

I didn't want to say it.

Please do :) It's how we learn

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

What about those little metal frames you can slide a paper label into like on old office filing cabinets? Simple, cheap, and clean.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

as a mildly OCD prankster I can never decide whether to leave things slightly out of level/square to tweak my OCD friends, or make them all perfectly square and level and whatnot to satisfy my perfectionism. The struggle is real.

I never realized just how OCD I was until I hung my TV on the wall in my current apartment.

Used a level. Mounting bracket was level. The rest of the building, however, isn't anything resembling plumb or square. I gave in and mounted it a bit crooked just so it would appear level in comparison to the fireplace and floor. The shelving unit next to my desk is driving me crazy too - it's flush with the baseboard at the base (so half an inch from the wall), but about 6 inches away from the wall at the top. :argh:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

some texas redneck posted:

Used a level. Mounting bracket was level. The rest of the building, however, isn't anything resembling plumb or square. I gave in and mounted it a bit crooked just so it would appear level in comparison to the fireplace and floor. The shelving unit next to my desk is driving me crazy too - it's flush with the baseboard at the base (so half an inch from the wall), but about 6 inches away from the wall at the top. :argh:

Having flashbacks of doing a bathroom reno in my 100+ year old house last year. I started with plans to do a tile floor and a new tub and ended up demoing more and more of the bathroom trying to find some way to get everything level and square.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My apartment was built in the early 80s. :v: It has serious foundation issues though.

It could be worse though. My roommate from Denton is renting a run down house that probably dates back to the 40s. This is his bedroom door, closed as far as it'll close - swung by his place tonight after I got off work, since my last route ended 10 minutes from his place.

Windows and floors are pretty much the same. I felt drunk just walking across the kitchen, it's like a fun house without the fun.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 24, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GREAT SUCCESS I LOVE SAILING

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:frogsiren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXYxrjt9rQU

:frogsiren:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Glad you enjoyed it! Your boat looks to be in much better shape than the far-away pictures made it seem, especially the woodwork. Or maybe I'm just used to most C22s looking really lovely and dilapidated.

That main looks to be in really good nick as well, I'm sure having a ton of battens helps, especially dead down. How did it sail?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The wind was supposed to be 10mph, but (as you can quickly see in the background of the video) we spent most of our time right near Chesterfield Power Plant. It acted like a very large wind shield and prevented us from getting practically any wind. We actually preferred this as the old sailor dude was talking about a bunch of stuff and showing us plenty of tips and tricks and all. He was an amazing teacher and very down-to-earth.

We stepped the mast on the trailer, extended the tongue, and launched it. When the sailor dude got there we spent plenty of time learning the correct running rigging.

Once out on the river we went downwind and barn-doored it (the sailor guy teaching us was incensed by not calling it Wing on Wing and said he'd "never use the term barn-doored unless he were on a lake in Georgia" so we used it as much as possible).

We passed the power plant, talked a bunch about sailing techniques, then turned around and motored upwind since the river right by the plant was a dead zone. We then tacked upwind past the boat launch and the Missus and I got used to doing it without instruction. After that dude man had to leave so we trailered it and talked for an hour.

We compiled a list of plenty of things to look at, but the four big issues to tackle before our next venture out are:

1. Reinforcing the mast step. When we stepped it, the rear of the bracket was coming up.
2. Replacing the mainsheet. Our original one is about 1/4 the length it needs to be, and the blue one we used in the video is the correct size but not the right type. It was a jury-rig of necessity.
3. The motor likes to cut out at low rpm/idle. It also sometimes doesn't like to start. I'm thinking electrical issue but I'll check on common problems with this motor.
4. The swing keel is barnacled and its winch rope is in bad shape. Some combination of this is causing it to stick randomly. We need to strap the boat onto the lift and lift it off the trailer, then drop the swing keel and check out what's up.

All in all I'd call it a great success. We knew we'd find issues and I feel like ours are small ones.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Only took three years

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Adiabatic posted:

Once out on the river we went downwind and barn-doored it (the sailor guy teaching us was incensed by not calling it Wing on Wing and said he'd "never use the term barn-doored unless he were on a lake in Georgia" so we used it as much as possible).
Um, well....
http://llsc.com/clubcam/
:)

Adiabatic posted:

1. Reinforcing the mast step. When we stepped it, the rear of the bracket was coming up.
2. Replacing the mainsheet. Our original one is about 1/4 the length it needs to be, and the blue one we used in the video is the correct size but not the right type. It was a jury-rig of necessity.
3. The motor likes to cut out at low rpm/idle. It also sometimes doesn't like to start. I'm thinking electrical issue but I'll check on common problems with this motor.
4. The swing keel is barnacled and its winch rope is in bad shape. Some combination of this is causing it to stick randomly. We need to strap the boat onto the lift and lift it off the trailer, then drop the swing keel and check out what's up.
1: pictures, please?
2: super important to be able to let that mainsheet all the way out. Purchase'll fool ya!
3: its an old 2 stroke, right? Fuel fuel fuel (ie carb)
4: recommend switching the strap for wire if possible? I'll need to confer with my local guys but this should be possible.

Yes!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Lol at Badger running around in front of you like a dope :3:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I have no idea how I got this lucky adopting a dog

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Adiabatic posted:

I have no idea how I got this lucky adopting a dog

I know that exact feeling! My dog is super chill.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

It's Alive! :3: Badger is awesome

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yup! Time to:

1. Replace the timing belt again. I remember nicking it when I put it back in originally and being all "I'll put another one in later once I know I'm not scrapping this pile of garbage"
2. Smooth the idle out. It runs smooth above 3k RPM but the idle is lumpy. The AFR has grooves in its resistive strip so I'll start there. I'll also check the ECT just because cold idle is worse than warm idle.
3. Add coolant / bleed system
4. Bleed brakes
5. Replace midpipe the dumbass PO sawzalled through
6. Find sway bar end link brackets and install since I threw away the old ones with the old LCAs lol
7. Trans filter/drain/fill
8. Random trim pieces
9. Replace the top with the new one that's been sitting on the trunk forever
10. Diag why the windows won't roll up anymore. They were fine a few months ago
11. Send it to my dad because he's bored and retired and wants to take care of the interior/tires/alignment/detailing it
12. Get it out of my life completely

Holy poo poo you guys I see a speck of light at the end of this tunnel.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

10. Diag why the windows won't roll up anymore. They were fine a few months ago

On the windows if they're power the switches are known to be poo poo. Pull them out, pop off the covers and clean the contacts. Sometimes they work if you press it just the right amount and sometimes they stop completely.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

They all went out at once and don't even light up, so I'm betting on the circuit. Thanks for the info though I didn't know that.

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's
T_____ Richmond Yuppie/s Sailing Team

Help me finish this acronym so I can get ultra gay tank tops made for hubby and me that say TRYST on them. The world must know or at least wonder about our love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Tidewater Region Yuppie Sailing Team

or Tidewater-Richmond

Considering we'll be sailing mostly in the tidewater region of VA it even makes sense!

edit: tidewater even technically begins at RVA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_line