Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
You actually do play as a courier. The last mission is a qte to deliver a message. If you fail, mark lee goes over the top and gets shot by a Turk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

drunkill posted:

The Great War channel just posted a specual on tank development:

https://youtu.be/zjj13U-j0_g

Interesting channel. Thanks for sharing this.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

sarmhan posted:

I think you might be right about the message though.
The trailer seemed to show a late-war focus, contrasting the inhumanity of the war with the people fighting to end it. Having the game end with you witnessing the war ending would be a blunt but effective way to complete that experience.

It's really the one thing everyone fighting the drat thing at this point wants, It's peace. It'd also be a pretty simple and novel way to end a campaign instead of the usual escalation/blind sacrifice.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FastestGunAlive posted:

You actually do play as a courier. The last mission is a qte to deliver a message. If you fail, mark lee goes over the top and gets shot by a Turk

if you win. they shoot erdogan's ancestor,which causes current erdogan to painfully be ripped out of/erased from existence.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I wonder if one part will take place at Gallipoli. Them ANZAC troopers might indicate such a thing.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Will you get a chance to kill Hitler in the single player campaign as he bravely enters no-man's-land to rescue his wounded comrades? He got some medals for that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Plot twist: at the end of the game the camera zooms directly out from your first person perspective, then turns around and reveals your character: a soldier whose nametag reads "A. Hitler"

So many WW2 games have done the "kill Hitler" thing. It's played out. Now is the time to be Hitler.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

More single-player info here: https://www.battlefield.com/news/article/the-single-player-of-battlefield-1

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Sounds good. Looks like they took some inspiration from Swedish writer Peter Englund and his ongoing series of books about a great number of unknown troopers during WWI. I like this kind of storytelling better than what COD does nowadays, where your character can do absolutely everthing ever.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Even more info here: https://www.battlefield.com/games/battlefield-1/singleplayer

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

I wonder if one part will take place at Gallipoli. Them ANZAC troopers might indicate such a thing.

EDIT: poo poo, after reading the website I stand corrected there is a Gallipoli bit. Guess the campaign is like 1916 to 1918 then.

I wonder if they'll add a sort of campaign section with the French and Russian post release DLC too?

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 27, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Looks like the stories are split up over time periods. The Runner is Gallipoli from an ANZAC perspective.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
There also isn't such a thing as an "ANZAC Soldier" The Aussies and Kiwis looked pretty distinctly different, and it's such a huge part of our national identities that we will fight anyone who confuses/merges the two. :colbert:

General consensus from vets was that both were great fighting units, with kiwis being a bit more chill and Aussies being more drunk and belligerent, which is basically how it goes today. Also Aussies in Cairo started a riot in a brothel cos some dudes got VD.

e] Also Also Gallipoli campaign was mid 1915 - early 16

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 27, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

There also isn't such a thing as an "ANZAC Soldier" The Aussies and Kiwis looked pretty distinctly different, and it's such a huge part of our national identities that we will fight anyone who confuses/merges the two. :colbert:

General consensus from vets was that both were great fighting units, with kiwis being a bit more chill and Aussies being more drunk and belligerent, which is basically how it goes today. Also Aussies in Cairo started a riot in a brothel cos some dudes got VD.

e] Also Gallipoli campaign was mid 1915 - early 16

I couldn't decide if the boys in the trailer were aussies or kiwis, so I just called them ANZAC. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I suppose.

They aren't Portugese, this much I know!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

PS, if you thought the bungled landings in Saving Private Ryan were horrifiying your going to be even more disturbed by the Gallipoli landings. Don't get too attached to anyone in that chapter it might not end so well.

BigglesSWE posted:

I couldn't decide if the boys in the trailer were aussies or kiwis, so I just called them ANZAC. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I suppose.

They aren't Portugese, this much I know!

It'd be nice if the last bit of DLC covered the antics of Portugal, The Belgium Army post Invasion and the Serbians too. Maybe even the Japanese if they need one more thing to do.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 27, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

ANZAC soldier does mean something though. It was an army corps that combined regiments from both countries. It's like arguing that "British soldier" isn't a thing because English, Scots, and northern Irish people are too different. It's obviously not a complete descriptor but it is a meaningful and relevant one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

TRAILER TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-vAxVh8ins

Is that an ANZAC boy I see?

Also, there's some glimpses at what implies a more open playstyle here and there.

The biggest thing I took away from this trailer is that Microsoft is really bad at picking names for their consoles because the voice-over guy at the end said "Xbox One S" and all I could hear was "Xbox One rear end." Also I'm not about to start harping on the dreaded ludonarrative dissonance but "behind every gunsight in a human being... now watch as I pull this sweet barrel roll and ram my landing gear into some human being's face! Woo!"

Anyways as dumb as BF3/4's campaigns are they only become bad to me because the characters in them are made of cardboard and don't provide any motivation to keep going at all. Bad Company 2 may have just a linear campaign as anything else but at least it kept you entertained outside of the shooting and interested in the people in it. If BF1 can do that I'll enjoy it for a playthrough or two.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Ok so I'm loving all this but where's the Harlem Hellfighters? This whole time I've been assuming they were going to be one of the flagship chapters in the campaign. Loving the diversity here but I was hoping there would be more? Maybe they're waiting until launch to reveal any information about them?

Also I just realized that the Gallipoli campaign is literally Gallipoli the movie. I wonder if we'll meet a young Mel Gibson hmm.

DeliciousPatriotism fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 27, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Ok so I'm loving all this but where's the Harlem Hellfighters? This whole time I've been assuming they were going to be one of the flagship chapters in the campaign. Loving the diversity here but I was hoping there would be more? Maybe they're waiting until launch to reveal any information about them?

Also I just realized that the Gallipoli campaign is literally Gallipoli the movie. I wonder if we'll meet a young Mel Gibson hmm.

they are in the trailer. in the beginning and end and other parts. its the black dudes with the french helmet.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they are in the trailer. in the beginning and end and other parts. its the black dudes with the french helmet.

But it had the Poilus badge and everything, which suggested to me Senegalese. Didn't they fight in Doughboy helmets?

Edit: Welp I'm a dumb stupid idiot

DeliciousPatriotism fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 27, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I want 1936 DLC so I can repel imperialist Italian scum from Ethiopia for a second time. I'm sad Italy won round two in real life :( The whole situation was Haile Selassie highly suspect, I tells ya'!

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

I want 1936 DLC so I can repel imperialist Italian scum from Ethiopia for a second time. I'm sad Italy won round two in real life :( The whole situation was Haile Selassie highly suspect, I tells ya'!

What I would do for an entire game that follows the Russian Revolution from the Russo-Japanese War all the way to 1926.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

But it had the Poilus badge and everything, which suggested to me Senegalese. Didn't they fight in Doughboy helmets?

Edit: Welp I'm a dumb stupid idiot

Nope. america didnt have enough helmets,(shortage and they hadnt used them helmets before) so they gave them french helmets.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Nope. america didnt have enough helmets,(shortage and they hadnt used them helmets before) so they gave them french helmets.

They were also given some of those horribe french MGs didn't they? I can never remember the name.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

They were also given some of those horribe french MGs didn't they? I can never remember the name.

The ones with the jam-tastic half-circle magazines? Chauchat, I think.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

In that machine guns defence, they performed fine until they changed the round to a heavier type late in the war.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

The ones with the jam-tastic half-circle magazines? Chauchat, I think.

That's the one. The French lended them all kind of garbage really. The Nieuport 28 for instance, which was rather "Meh" in comparison to most of the stuff the Germans had at the aerodromes at that stage in the war. The Americans got some SPAD XIII as well, but not nearly as many.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

yep. the oness that filled with mud because of the various openings in the magazine. yep.

I miss the D&D and or GBS World war 1 threads. they were interesting a gently caress.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 27, 2016

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

French made chauchats were pretty decent for what they were; the problems the american divisions had were mainly because they got 30-06 models produced under license which turned the guns into utter poo poo.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCwP3Dm52Ls

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

BigglesSWE posted:

If your referring to the men with slouch hats I don't think that was them, ANZAC slouch hats have the left side folded up not the right, my guess would be they are maybe meant to be ghurka soldiers?

edit: went back and watched the trailer again, now I see who you meant, don't mind me i'm apparently blind as a bat.

Tarantula fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 28, 2016

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Party Plane Jones posted:

French made chauchats were pretty decent for what they were; the problems the american divisions had were mainly because they got 30-06 models produced under license which turned the guns into utter poo poo.

"You just can't kill a man unless you shoot them with a .30 Caliber cartridge though!" -Army Ordnance

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

That was basically a movie trailer and I gotta admit I'm kinda hyped.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

That was basically a movie trailer and I gotta admit I'm kinda hyped.

yeah me too. I am sure they will last in total like 10 hours but thats better the 4 at least.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

It's a very good trailer. The music is a lot more movie-esque than what I've heard from Battlefield before. Also the faceanimations are absolutely surreal, they're so real!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

sarmhan posted:

ANZAC soldier does mean something though. It was an army corps that combined regiments from both countries. It's like arguing that "British soldier" isn't a thing because English, Scots, and northern Irish people are too different. It's obviously not a complete descriptor but it is a meaningful and relevant one.

Yea obviously it means something in a general sense but they were still entirely separate armies with completely different uniforms and stuff, they're not really interchangeable.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

good trailer

good....

game???

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
A battlefield game that actually teaches you how to use the aircraft? Madness. I've stumbled into a portal to some strange alternative universe.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I am not going to raise a fuss about this, but I am really disappointed that the Arab woman they chose to put as a positive hero is nothing more than the servant girl of the British rear end in a top hat spy who was planning to help enslave them and ruin them for the next hundred years. Like why not just have her be a rebel against the ottomans and that's that? Why did she need to be the right hand woman of Lawrence?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

I am not going to raise a fuss about this, but I am really disappointed that the Arab woman they chose to put as a positive hero is nothing more than the servant girl of the British rear end in a top hat spy who was planning to help enslave them and ruin them for the next hundred years. Like why not just have her be a rebel against the ottomans and that's that? Why did she need to be the right hand woman of Lawrence?

Read a few books and come back to this line of thought my friend.