Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
All those dev diary changes are good. I'm still hesitant about the new tech system, but we'll see how it plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skasion posted:

New dev diary up. Mostly just a list of miscellaneous fixes and fun stuff, like the Knights being able to slave raid :yarr:
:psyduck: They changed some stuff about Trade Companies but they are still tied to Continent rather than something more local like Region. Means Trade Companies are still nearly useless to Asian countries.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah If I can't use trade companies as a Malayan/Indian since 2/3 of them are in Asia let me make some in Europe.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Does anyone know if there is a mod that makes the game's UI scale up a little bit, without breaking achievements or ironman? I am playing on a 34 inch 21:9 monitor at 3440 x 1440 and it is wonderful, except that the UI is just a little too small, and I would like to increase it a bit. If anyone is curious, EU IV works great on this size and ratio, it makes it a lot easier to keep track of all the things going on around you. The only problem other than the small UI is that the loading screens are not scaled correctly, and tends to chop the heads off of the portraits. Obviously, that is not a big deal.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

skasion posted:

New dev diary up. Mostly just a list of miscellaneous fixes and fun stuff, like the Knights being able to slave raid :yarr:

quote:

If you are enter battle while in an enemy province with a fort, you will be treated as the attacker in battle and incur that province's terrain penalties.

That's a pretty massive change to forts.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jsor posted:

Yeah, it's amazing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jsor posted:

Yeah it's gonna completely change things. Playing as Switzerland will be absolutely comical.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That fort change is going to make mountainous provinces absolutely incredible for defense, to the point that you will actually have an incentive to keep to natural borders and support them with forts.

A shame that (unless I missed it) the crazy ZoC issues are still going to be there. I understand why they exist but it's still unintuitive as gently caress.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

RabidWeasel posted:

That fort change is going to make mountainous provinces absolutely incredible for defense, to the point that you will actually have an incentive to keep to natural borders and support them with forts.

A shame that (unless I missed it) the crazy ZoC issues are still going to be there. I understand why they exist but it's still unintuitive as gently caress.

Yeah, I had a hell of a time doing Luck of the Irish because England has two forts in the south with overlapping zones of control and in a few wars my army just got stuck.

There's also some outstanding issue where the ZOCs don't seem to be applied properly when you've paused. Like, I got a "a fort's zone of control prevents you from moving" message while paused, but as soon as I unpaused I was allowed to move my army just fine. (I'll admit it's possible my army didn't get stuck and it was this issue and I didn't notice, but I'm not sure).

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Does anyone know if there is a mod that makes the game's UI scale up a little bit, without breaking achievements or ironman? I am playing on a 34 inch 21:9 monitor at 3440 x 1440 and it is wonderful, except that the UI is just a little too small, and I would like to increase it a bit. If anyone is curious, EU IV works great on this size and ratio, it makes it a lot easier to keep track of all the things going on around you. The only problem other than the small UI is that the loading screens are not scaled correctly, and tends to chop the heads off of the portraits. Obviously, that is not a big deal.

Try the Better UI mod on the steam workshop. It is fully ironman compatible.
It is made to show more of the game menus and such at higher res, so it might help.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 28, 2016

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Didn't they mention that fort change quite a while ago already?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jsor posted:

Yeah, I had a hell of a time doing Luck of the Irish because England has two forts in the south with overlapping zones of control and in a few wars my army just got stuck.

There's also some outstanding issue where the ZOCs don't seem to be applied properly when you've paused. Like, I got a "a fort's zone of control prevents you from moving" message while paused, but as soon as I unpaused I was allowed to move my army just fine. (I'll admit it's possible my army didn't get stuck and it was this issue and I didn't notice, but I'm not sure).

I think the bug is issuing orders when the game is unpaused. I didn't even know you could do that.

Paradox please fix.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Kanfy posted:

Didn't they mention that fort change quite a while ago already?

Yes. It's still great now too.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I like using the observe command and watching the A.I. do its thing. I have no clue what steroids this Papal state A.I. is on... :dogbutton:

Also shout out to Revolutionary France

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is that Andalusia going nuts in Iberia too? Lucky nations off?

Also I still love that after all this time, Austria still never gets it's PU over Bohemia, but inherits all of Hungary every other game. :mad:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Is that Andalusia going nuts in Iberia too? Lucky nations off?

Also I still love that after all this time, Austria still never gets it's PU over Bohemia, but inherits all of Hungary every other game. :mad:
It looks like it is the Pope in Iberia. Looks like Castille lost Leon.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yeah, you're obviously right. I don't know why I thought there was a border there.

And is that Portugal owning all of North Africa?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One of the secret pleasures of playing as a non-European is seeing how AI Europe fared, once the map gets revealed.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jay Rust posted:

One of the secret pleasures of playing as a non-European is seeing how AI Europe fared, once the map gets revealed.

Indeed. My current Majapahit game has a resurgent Odoyev dominating the Black Sea and the Caucasus.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

PittTheElder posted:

And is that Portugal owning all of North Africa?
Portugal owns all of North Africa, except for OPM morroco
Also this game has poland owning constantinople, :wtc:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

IAmThatIs posted:

Portugal owns all of North Africa, except for OPM morroco
Also this game has poland owning constantinople, :wtc:

I've seen Poland get Constantinople a reasonable amount. Poland can be beefy.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Papal States is ludicrously overpowered and buff, which is why you tend to see the AI go all BattlePope and just eat everything.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Tsyni posted:

I've seen Poland get Constantinople a reasonable amount. Poland can be beefy.

Poland is the strongest country in the game imo.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Lori posted:

Yeah, it's probably for the best they're losing lucky status in the next patch seeing as they've just dominated all of eastern Europe in like my last 3 games in a row.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The elective monarchy should probably be shittier as a whole given how much it historically hosed with the Commonwealth's ability to get anything done. As it is there's a whatever% chance for them to pick "no, let us pick some dumbass instead" within five minutes of game start and if they don't fail that they're pretty much nailed on to dominate Eastern Europe unless the player has a vested interest in them not doing that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'd really, really like to see a change to Personal Unions, such that a lesser parties foreign policy isn't just locked to that of the senior.

Lori posted:

For the first few years once they net Lithuania, almost certainly, at least in Europe.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've never seen Poland get Constantinople in my seven games. I'm not even sure how that happens.

In my experience they blob a bit but eventually get beaten down by Russia and Austria. Brandenburg sometimes struggle but they rarely cave in totally.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Vegetable posted:

I've never seen Poland get Constantinople in my seven games. I'm not even sure how that happens.

In my experience they blob a bit but eventually get beaten down by Russia and Austria. Brandenburg sometimes struggle but they rarely cave in totally.

Poland gets events to give them claims on nearby Ottoman provinces like every 15-20 years as long as they or a subject has a border with them. If Poland eats Moldavia early the event can fire like fifteen times over the course of the game, and if they can win one convincing victory and seize territory, it can send Ottos into a cycle of getting their asses kicked. It's easy to abuse this as Commonwealth to take over the entirety of Anatolia and the Balkans pretty much.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
From what I've seen, Poland's success depends a lot on their early game since they get a 1 MIL ruler when they PU Lithuania. Often times they attack TO + allies when they're at mil tech 3-4 and their enemies are at 5-6 which is absolutely ruinous. Poland is weak very early when they have a poo poo mil-point ruler and can fall behind in mil technology. If Poland survives the first ~50 years without getting dogpiled while behind on technology they're probably the most terrifying blob along with the Ottomans, France, Spain, and a stable Ming.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

skasion posted:

Poland gets events to give them claims on nearby Ottoman provinces like every 15-20 years as long as they or a subject has a border with them. If Poland eats Moldavia early the event can fire like fifteen times over the course of the game, and if they can win one convincing victory and seize territory, it can send Ottos into a cycle of getting their asses kicked. It's easy to abuse this as Commonwealth to take over the entirety of Anatolia and the Balkans pretty much.
Isn't Moldavia a marsh? I've never seen Poland eat them.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Poil posted:

Isn't Moldavia a marsh? I've never seen Poland eat them.

Recently it seems as if the ai is keen to revoke their march status early on. They never used to do it, but now I see ai poland revoke -> annex moldavia more often than not.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Will the new patch be save game compatible?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Recently it seems as if the ai is keen to revoke their march status early on. They never used to do it, but now I see ai poland revoke -> annex moldavia more often than not.
That's pretty cool. It's really limiting for them to keeping them around.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Falukorv posted:

Will the new patch be save game compatible?
No not at all.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Late to the party here, but I'm honestly really surprised by all the people saying late game content is useless. Personally I'm pretty thrilled about revolutionary factions, since any campaign I play that gets off the ground usually gets to the end.

I tend to play conservatively, though. I push my way to becoming a major power and then pull my punches until 1750, at which point I artificially engineer the Revolution and go HULK SMASH on everyone with the insane bonuses. I can't be the only one who does this, the lategame in EU4 is really fun when it's not just boring cleanup.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'd like it a lot more if the performance didn't take a nosedive by 1700 or so

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Koramei posted:

I'd like it a lot more if the performance didn't take a nosedive by 1700 or so

It does fine for me in the current patch, definitely used to be a lot worse. The lategame takes more time, but that's because I pause more due to having more stuff to manage.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The best reason to play France is to go revolutionary lategame and try to beat Napoleon. So, yeah.

Also, re: Poland, in my last lucky nations off game, they managed to keep their more or less historical size until Russia allied Austria and they went to town with them after the PLC lost badly to the Ottomans. With luck on, I am certain that they would have blobbed without stop from Bohemia to near Moscow.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Guildencrantz posted:

Late to the party here, but I'm honestly really surprised by all the people saying late game content is useless. Personally I'm pretty thrilled about revolutionary factions, since any campaign I play that gets off the ground usually gets to the end.

I tend to play conservatively, though. I push my way to becoming a major power and then pull my punches until 1750, at which point I artificially engineer the Revolution and go HULK SMASH on everyone with the insane bonuses. I can't be the only one who does this, the lategame in EU4 is really fun when it's not just boring cleanup.

Honestly anyone who can't find challenge late game is probably just not looking hard enough.

*Takes 250% overextension and proceeds to declare war on half of the world*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Transmetropolitan posted:

The best reason to play France is to go revolutionary lategame and try to beat Napoleon. So, yeah.

This is the game I literally just finished right now! Except I started as Brittany, so I spent most of the game fighting tooth and nail to restore France from the various assholes who took pieces when I dismantled it. I had the historical borders roughly by the time the revolutionary wars kicked off and even got Napoleon before he was born IRL :v: In addition to massive forcelimits and immunity to war exhaustion, the French Revolution gives you space marine troops (except in morale rather than discipline as with Prussia), so I could finally go into full rampage mode. Kicked in the door to the HRE, destroyed Austria and turned most of Germany into the Confederation of the Rhine. Much like in history, I never managed to truly defeat Spain and Portugal, but at least Britain folded like a wet paper towel. Bonapartist client states over most of Western Europe!

10/10 would play again, I definitely recommend a "French minor into Revolutionary France" campaign.

• Locked thread