Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

First impression after a full listen through:

Gonna be the odd man out here. I really do not like the first 10~ (besides # 2) songs on this album. The production is so incredibly busy with lots of screeching noises/beeps/whatever, the hooks (where they exist) suck, "AINT IT FUNNY HOW IT HAPPENS AINT IT AINT IT FUNNY HOW IT HAPPENS" being screeched at me over some kind of circus horn from hell is very much not my bag. The last ~5 songs are a lot more toned down and much better for it imho. Favorite song by far is "Tell Me What I Don't Know", and it hardly sounds like it belongs on the album; reminds me much more of his stuff off The Hybrid/XXX's second half than anything.

That said, it's not a bad album, I just personally don't like the style he's going for here. My opinion might change with further listens but I mostly had a headache and a frown while listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Tolkien minority posted:

Gonna be the odd man out here. I really do not like the first 10~ (besides # 2) songs on this album. The production is so incredibly busy with lots of screeching noises/beeps/whatever, the hooks (where they exist) suck,

on the face of it, i agree, but every single track had every single fiber of my mind trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on and i'm not sure if it's going to be revealed as genius that is infinitely relistenable or ambitious trash. i will listen to this album several times.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
FWIW there's times i just can't listen to danny because he can be abrasive as gently caress but that's 100% down to my mood. I can tell i won't be throwing it on for the morning commute but right now, goddamn does it make me want to run through a wall or something

also it's funny to me that the song i like least on the album is the one with other rappers

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 27, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Like 70% of my library is abrasive as hell so this is perfect for me. Expect a lot of aggro white kids to be into it.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

How much is his toned down voice versus the Danny screech

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Tremendous Taste posted:

How much is his toned down voice versus the Danny screech

70% screech, 30% toned down

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Aw :(

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

its a very screechy album

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Its up on Bleep in case any of u want to get the mp3s, didnt see it on google play. Was hoping someone could leak it so i could listen to it earlier but looks like Danny already got me covered!! stoked

https://bleep.com/artist/36820

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It's a fantastic album, and ambitious as heck. I am very impressed that his last few albums have all had such unique overall aural aesthetics, yet they are all still distinctly Danny.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It's a very fun sounding album but its really hard to follow the lyrics for me. Part of that is because listening to lyrics in any genre is something that gives me a hard time, even with the clearest stuff. I just have to make an almost physical effort to maintain focus or my mind begins to wander, I start a train of thought, and I miss stuff. But with this one, it's still tricky. Make fun of me all you want, but I'll have to sit down with some written out lyrics on this one!

Agreed that Aint it Funny is a really fun song, both in the beat, the bass, and the lyrics

I like the "sound effects" he uses. It works really well on headphones where you can hear his voice coming from different places and echoing around

As I listen to it again, Danny's voice is so interesting that even if I'm multitasking and only paying attention halfway, and everything blends into background sound, it's such a fantastic sound.

Can anyone speak to the possible influences on this album, in terms of the sound of it? Both in the beat and in the way the music is varied in volume and "position" w/r/t headphones and left right front back

blue squares fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 27, 2016

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
loving hell, 'Ain't it funny' is amazing. Echoing the above posters, the production quality is nuts and very textured.

I find it unusual if people are complaining about screeching on his 3rd major album but each to their own, I think you get used to it after a while

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

did Spotify update the title of Young Thug's new album or was it always "No, my name is Jeffery"?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

blue squares posted:

did Spotify update the title of Young Thug's new album or was it always "No, my name is Jeffery"?

I don't use Spotify but that was supposed to be the name. Some sites had it up as just Jeffery

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

bef posted:

Its up on Bleep in case any of u want to get the mp3s, didnt see it on google play. Was hoping someone could leak it so i could listen to it earlier but looks like Danny already got me covered!! stoked

https://bleep.com/artist/36820

Thanks for this, google music left me hanging. Not sure if it's just my internet, but their player only loads about 1 minute ahead before stopping, but you can skip around to hear entire tracks. Some are definitely better than others for me, but it's so interesting that I'll have to listen to it a lot more.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
it is undeniably one of the best sounding things i've ever heard. everything is just so... clear?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Robert Analog posted:

e; it should be noted he has a feature and a name producer on every song, not everyone can be J. Cole

Delete this

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
i didn't know what to expect but i'll take this for sure, good stuff Danny

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
If you don't like the weird Danny brown voice or "screech" as you goons call it you can get the fuuuuuck out

Album goes hard

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

this album is so abrasive and busy anyone claiming they loved it after a single listen is a hypebeast liar. its just literally humanly impossible to have been able to understand everything going on in the production and also understand the lyrics only listening to each song one time through

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

that said if you havent gotten a chance to listen to the album yet the singles (pneumonia/when it rain/really doe) are the easiest listening/poppy-est albums on the whole record so if you thought those were too much for you i have bad news

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Robert Analog posted:

e; it should be noted he has a feature and a name producer on every song, not everyone can be J. Cole

Lol thank god

Under My Voodoo
Feb 17, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

it is undeniably one of the best sounding things i've ever heard. everything is just so... clear?

That's cuz it's Mixed by Ali bruh bruh

That being said - time to get goofy high and see what y'all are talkin mout

Under My Voodoo fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 28, 2016

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

40 lbs to freedom posted:

this album is so abrasive and busy anyone claiming they loved it after a single listen is a hypebeast liar. its just literally humanly impossible to have been able to understand everything going on in the production and also understand the lyrics only listening to each song one time through

Actually ur wrong

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

If you don't like the weird Danny brown voice or "screech" as you goons call it you can get the fuuuuuck out

Album goes hard

if you cant see how this album differs greatly from something like xxx or the hybrid in both style of the beats, rapping and the effects/usage of his voice than i dont really know what to tell you?
i'm not saying bad, i'm saying liking previous work doesn't mean liking this necessarily

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

anyone claiming they loved it after a single listen is a hypebeast liar

hello and welcome to the rap thread

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
AIN'T IT FUNNY

:vince:

THIS IS THE BEST BEAT IVE HEARD THIS loving YEAR

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Really doe is my favorite song. I prefer the ones with rap beats but it's good, better than old.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Again, abrasive and busy poo poo is my area of expertise. The only thing that will change as I absorb more of it is that it will go from potential AOTY to definite AOTY. And I love Danny but I'm no hype beast for him. Old was in like my top 30 of that year.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
yeah this album rules

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I loved it first time. Didn't understand lots of it but that's why I liked it. I've never heard anything like it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Dance in the Water is a fuckin Fear of Music outtake someone decided to rap over and it's insanely good

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this is one of the weirdest takes I've ever heard

god help you if you ever decide to go listen to Bish Bosch or something. you can love albums without having a full and complete comprehension of them dude

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

When I'm not listening to hip hop I'm probably listening to post-punk so actually the abrasiveness is 100% in my wheelhouse

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

deadwing posted:

When I'm not listening to hip hop I'm probably listening to post-punk so actually the abrasiveness is 100% in my wheelhouse

Same

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
"Really Doe" is spectacular and I'm sadly reminded that I only enjoy Soulo as a feature artist..

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

god help you if you ever decide to go listen to Bish Bosch or something. you can love albums without having a full and complete comprehension of them dude

I turned this on out of curiosity and.... what the hell is this

I like it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

blue squares posted:

I turned this on out of curiosity and.... what the hell is this

I like it

scott walker is one of the coolest dudes in modern music history and amusingly off-topic for this thread until danny brown decides to repurpose shutout on his next album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9uIHjbt8zw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ih7KzKLLWA

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 28, 2016

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Wowed by the album first time around, looking forward to listening to it more/closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
theres no way pitchfork gives this less than a 9 lol