Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The brown sea seems anti-fun.

Instant ship transfers would be fun. Yes, many people would just use an Asp or Anaconda to get around to systems and transfer their combat ships to ignore the pitiful jump range.

Reducing the grind? Well, that's no fun. Implement it immediately! Should also make ranks in the Imperial and Federation militaries 10x harder to get! It won't hurt them, they got the ranks when it was easy to get so. Might as well make the faction fighters require King and Admiral. They don't just give those to anybody. While we're at it, make the neutral fighter require Elite in CQC. That'll show them!

Fuel is too plentiful. You must manually refine the hydrogen and that will take 100 minutes for every 100t of Hydrogen gas that you scoop from a star to become 1T of hydrogen fuel your ship can use. You also must dispose of the 99t of waste products in a environmental way. Launching it into the sun is not environmental. Are you trying to be a criminal?

Shooting a ship for any reason should make you need to fill out a report on why you discharged your weapons. Failure to do so will label you a criminal with a 100 Billion bounty on your head across every single system in the known galaxy. Bounty hunters will even seek you out if you march to Beagle Point. They will be waiting for you at every system. They know where you're going.

Sound like fun? Of course not. But that's what the Brown Sea wants the game to become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Speaking of outfitting, I have a sudden desire to go mining in my Python again. Last time was before Horizons, did something significantly change?

I used the following build to great effect (now with added mines because nobody fucks with miners toting mines) please suggest any improvements:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/python/0pftnFflidwssf52k2k2k2m2m04040404050505CeCe1v402tP4.Iw18eQ==.AwiMIyu8g===?bn=Python%20miner%20

Edit: I currently have no home base, but I would like to set up shop somewhere in li Yong rui space for the sweet discounts, possibly close to the centre of the bubble, near to Fed/empire/alliance systems.. Is there such a system?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 27, 2016

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I'd ignored Engineering upgrades until now, due to a mixture of fearing the grind and because I never really had a ship I wanted to keep around long term. Ship transfers, even terrible ones, solve it so I'll jump between ships at least some of the time, so it was time to kit out my Asp Explorer.

This morning I started with baby's first simple level 1 FSD range boost.
About ten minutes ago I applied my first level 5 FSD range boost. It rolled well.

This... this is spaceship crack.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Conskill posted:

I'd ignored Engineering upgrades until now, due to a mixture of fearing the grind and because I never really had a ship I wanted to keep around long term. Ship transfers, even terrible ones, solve it so I'll jump between ships at least some of the time, so it was time to kit out my Asp Explorer.

This morning I started with baby's first simple level 1 FSD range boost.
About ten minutes ago I applied my first level 5 FSD range boost. It rolled well.

This... this is spaceship crack.

It's an amazing thing watching a ship nearly double it's range, in some cases. You should see what 4 overcharged g5 multicannons does to anything that stays in your sights long enough. :getin:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

IAmTheRad posted:

Fuel is too plentiful. You must manually refine the hydrogen and that will take 100 minutes for every 100t of Hydrogen gas that you scoop from a star to become 1T of hydrogen fuel your ship can use. You also must dispose of the 99t of waste products in a environmental way. Launching it into the sun is not environmental. Are you trying to be a criminal?
I've only been playing this game since the Steam Summer Sale, but one thing that strikes me as unusual is just how cheap fuel is. 16T to fill up an Asp is like 1500 credits max. How did the price of fuel become so affordable that ships can just fly wherever they want? Thanks, Main Sequence Star Class O-bama!

It is almost like you just get free fuel when docking, which seems unusual considering how hard the people at the frontier forums want the game to be. Did there used to be a really hosed up fuel system where you had to wait in line to get gas and it was very expensive or you only were rationed a certain amount of fuel per hour played?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Fuel used to be prohibitively expensive to the point where the really low bounties you got at the time barely paid for the fuel used to collect them

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Boogalo posted:

Fuel used to be prohibitively expensive to the point where the really low bounties you got at the time barely paid for the fuel used to collect them
I'm really glad I picked this game up when it was in 1.3 during a random summer sale because the horror stories of early day earnings sure are something. Back then the only thing that was busted was repair costs and that was a bug they patched like literally the day after I bought the game (it was cheaper to sell my Viper and rebuy it then it was to repair it up from ~40% health). If I played when bounties were like 1k and refuel/repair costs were insane I probably would have given up on the game right there.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Boogalo posted:

I remember people on the brown sea arguing that it should have been MORE expensive, too. They really do just want a pure masochism simulator.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
If only they had a mechanism to sell fuel. Load up an Anaconda with a scoop and fill internals with fuel tanks. Fly to a main sequence star, fill up, and sell it at a Brown Dwarf station.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

If only they had a mechanism to sell fuel. Load up an Anaconda with a scoop and fill internals with fuel tanks. Fly to a main sequence star, fill up, and sell it at a Brown Dwarf station.

Erm, you can buy Hydrogen Fuel and ship it. You just can't use it to fill up your fuel tanks, or to put fuel from your tanks into the commodity. You could also use Fuel Limpets to give fuel to other people from your fuel tanks.

There's almost no profit margin to ship fuel.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

Speaking of outfitting, I have a sudden desire to go mining in my Python again. Last time was before Horizons, did something significantly change?

I used the following build to great effect (now with added mines because nobody fucks with miners toting mines) please suggest any improvements:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/python/0pftnFflidwssf52k2k2k2m2m04040404050505CeCe1v402tP4.Iw18eQ==.AwiMIyu8g===?bn=Python%20miner%20

Edit: I currently have no home base, but I would like to set up shop somewhere in li Yong rui space for the sweet discounts, possibly close to the centre of the bubble, near to Fed/empire/alliance systems.. Is there such a system?

Limpets now launch 1 by 1, no matter how many controllers you fire.
Which is a bit annoying.
Next change will be limpets surviving instance changes, which in turn is nice.

Also P-metals are rarer now, and missions only revolve around osmium and ice-ring stuff.
No more Painite missions that make you rich.

In short, mining is a hobby now, not the money maker it used to be.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Mining has never really been much of a money-maker, though. It's far more profitable than it was when the game launched (not that that's saying much), but it's always been one of those things you do because you happen to enjoy it or just want a change of pace, like exploration.

And I want to say that limpets have always launched one-by-one, but don't hold me to that. Not a huge deal when they last 12 minutes a pop on an A-rated controller, regardless.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 28, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gort posted:

Is there any point to landing on unexplored planets?

Some of the most fun I've had in ED has been hooning around randomly in an SRV looking for interesting cliffs to drive off.

If playing low gravity stunt driver doesn't appeal then I really don't have any advice for you.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Helter Skelter posted:

Mining has never really been much of a money-maker, though. It's far more profitable than it was when the game launched (not that that's saying much), but it's always been one of those things you do because you happen to enjoy it or just want a change of pace, like exploration.

And I want to say that limpets have always launched one-by-one, but don't hold me to that. Not a huge deal when they last 12 minutes a pop on an A-rated controller, regardless.

Yeah I just do it when I am bored of combat, making money on the side is nice even if it's not the best method.

So if limpets go out 1 by 1 it just takes more time to poo poo them out but with 2 5a controllers I can still have 6 collectors working right? I had this thing going where with 2 med lasers I could quickly strip an asteroid and 6 collectors finished getting minerals just 10-15 seconds after emptying the asteroid leading to almost zero downtime, it was great

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

Limpets launched 1by1 from each controller, so i fired 3 at a time with 3 controllers.
Its not a biggie, but its annoying launching 8 limpets by clicking 8 times and waiting for cargo open/close 7 times.

It was a moneymaker in the same sense as hazres, with roughly the same monetary output.
Its worse now with all painite/platinum missions gone while hazres is unchanged.
Its still very relaxing though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CapnBry posted:

It is almost like you just get free fuel when docking, which seems unusual considering how hard the people at the frontier forums want the game to be. Did there used to be a really hosed up fuel system where you had to wait in line to get gas and it was very expensive or you only were rationed a certain amount of fuel per hour played?

Ships used to have weird modifiers, where filling up 4 tons of fuel in a sidewinder would cost 100 credits, but filling the same amount in a bigger ship like a type 6 or asp would cost 10s of thousands, and for an anaconda, an empty tank meant you'd have to pay close to a million credits, whereas 64 tons of fuel in a sidewinder was like 1k?

Which is funny, seeing how fuel is just plain hydrogen.

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 28, 2016

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Truga posted:

Ships used to have weird modifiers, where filling up 4 tons of fuel in a sidewinder would cost 100 credits, but filling the same amount in a bigger ship like a type 6 or asp would cost 10s of thousands, and for an anaconda, an empty tank meant you'd have to pay close to a million credits, whereas 64 tons of fuel in a sidewinder was like 1k?
And that was back when everything was still paying peanuts so unless you had a lot of cash in reserve, the only way of flying the bigger ships without running out of fuel was by flying only when you were trading to cover the costs. Or run a Fuel Scoop regardless of how far you had to travel.

Truga posted:

Which is funny, seeing how fuel is just plain hydrogen.
Ah but you see that was special, high-octane hydrogen, none of that crap that can be found everywhere in the whole universe. This will really put a tiger in your fusion reactor. :v:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You could equip a bunch of fuel tanks, scoop a star for an hour then come back and sell the tanks, I think you'd get the value of the fuel as well. It would just be poo poo.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Early on missions sucked pretty badly. But the cheat engine invulnerability + the fines->bounties exploit meant you could make 2 billion credits in 15 hours of autohotkey nonsense. Now the fastest way to make money is to work for it.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

mpyro posted:

You are the poor. Get more credits.

:drat:

TorakFade posted:

I have read the brown sea for 10 minutes.

Why? Why do I do this? People are asking that transfering ships should cost at a bare MINIMUM the rebuy price, plus a premium for distance and weight

whyyyyyy

maybe I'm sour because I'm space middle-class with my 180 millions in assets, but I kinda hate that everybody speaks of spending several millions as if it was nothing, because you can make those back in just 3-4 hours of soul crushing, funless grind and who hasn't the time or will to do that am I right?

It's hilariously expensive right now lmao how can they be asking for more

I'm a spacetrump but I wouldn't pay 1.750 million (or nearly 9 for a python) and wait 19 minutes jesus christ

The mechanic as it exists in beta 4 is completely unusable

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Are they nerfing the poop runs from CEOS and Sothis in the next patch?

If so, how do I make my space dollars so I can afford the cool new stuff?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Are they nerfing the poop runs from CEOS and Sothis in the next patch?

If so, how do I make my space dollars so I can afford the cool new stuff?

Signs point to a nerf, but it's not the first time that missions got nerfed in a previous beta with the nerf not hitting live.

Passengers can be p lucrative if you're already on the way out exploring, tens of millions to Sag A* and back. Ofc this is pretty low money for everyone else so :shrug:

Edit: Passengers pay very little for the amount of hassle. They routinely change the destinations on you (with no signs of this ever changing), pay little, and the more interesting sightseeing ones pay 1/10th of what they should. 2000ly roundtrip for 3 million? lmao

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 28, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

lol, the brown sea posted:

Don't see what's the fuss.

I just transfered my python 105ly from where I docked the type 9 in :
27 minutes, for 3 million.

Since the shipyard and outfitter had no choice to make a taxi, it would have taken me easily 16-18 minutes to make those jumps myself and would have had my T9 where I didn't want. In those 18 minutes I made 8 millions.

Stop whining.

How do you make 8 millions in 18 minutes? That's 25 millions/hour, I never ever came close to making that kind of dough

Maybe I should just stop whining and git gud

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The Sothis Ceos they can do serverside. They don't need a client patch to change those.

People will find the path of least resistance for making money. The question is what will they find next.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Have been mining a little, found some new minerals like praseodymium and samarium. Middling prices but eh, you can't fire a prospector blindfolded and hit a painite or platinum rock anymore so I take it. Also even in a pristine metallic ring every asteroid seems to have low content, is it normal? I don't even remember that voice from my last mining experience.

What's better, taking time to only gather precious stuff or strip mine (excluding of course lovely bertrandite or whatever the really low value stuff is) and hoof it back to sell whenever the hold is full?

Also why the only combat missions ever are to kill skimmers? I see them at every board and literally zero "kill 20 pirates" missions which were much better

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Chrysophylax posted:

They routinely change the destinations on you (with no signs of this ever changing)

This should never, ever happen. It's impressively stupid. I was paid to do a job, not paid to do a job plus whatever else the client says without additional pay. You change the destination mid flight? You pay off the first contract which you agreed to, then I can opt to take a second full price contract to the new destination. No business would work that way, and no one would ever work for the client again without cash up front.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

BitBasher posted:

This should never, ever happen. It's impressively stupid. I was paid to do a job, not paid to do a job plus whatever else the client says without additional pay. You change the destination mid flight? You pay off the first contract which you agreed to, then I can opt to take a second full price contract to the new destination. No business would work that way, and no one would ever work for the client again without cash up front.

Dude the only unrealistic things we won't tolerate are the fun ones.

The unfun soul-crushing ones like this though? Pure gold GOTY material.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

TorakFade posted:

Also even in a pristine metallic ring every asteroid seems to have low content, is it normal? I don't even remember that voice from my last mining experience.

Known bug, supposed to be fixed next patch. Their threshold was set wrong/too low so everything showed as "low".

TorakFade posted:

What's better, taking time to only gather precious stuff or strip mine (excluding of course lovely bertrandite or whatever the really low value stuff is) and hoof it back to sell whenever the hold is full?

I always still grab the precious only, PPPOG (plat, painite, palladium, osmium, gold). Should get easier next patch. When you dump cargo you own your limpets should automatically pick it back up, so you can more easily dump the junk.

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 28, 2016

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I found a good 1-hop trade route.

4 million per run.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
That clearly says 3.2mil

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Morter posted:

That clearly says 3.2mil

The other way gives me .8 million you dummy.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Then that's 2 hops :eng101:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Natsuumi posted:

Known bug, supposed to be fixed next patch. Their threshold was set wrong/too low so everything showed as "low".

I always still grab the precious only, PPPOG (play, painite, palladium, osmium, gold). Should get easier next patch. When you dump cargo you own your limpets should automatically pick it back up, so you can more easily dump the junk.

:frontear:

Anyways in what amounts to a couple hours of relaxing mining, taking my time and only selling on the market without board scumming, I made 2.5 millions from 174 tons of stuff (mostly palladium and gold, a few painite and platinum, some praseodymium). Not that bad but res farming is more fun.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

I found a good 1-hop trade route.

4 million per run.

Are you talking silver back?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

BitBasher posted:

They should really let you accept or decline them, as is already in the beta for passenger requests.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
OMG this game is amazing in VR

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, a few random thoughts / reviews of my ship collection divided by role :

COMBAT (PvE): Vulture. There's no other ship with comparable agility, firepower and toughness at this price point. Since combat is one of the riskiest activities, having a low rebuy (800k for a mostly a-graded build iirc) is a nice plus, if I ever get blown up it's no big deal. It can kill literally everything besides wings of high end ships.
Loadout: large beam + large multicannon, chaff, point defense, KWS, shield booster. Great for res farming, but for assassination missions I'd swap the multi for a frag due to insane alpha damage and the low ammo capacity won't be an issue.

TRADING/MINING: Python. 200 cargo, 2 5a collection controllers, 4a refinery will make short work of any asteroid and earn a nice profit. For bulk trading just swap mining equipment for cargo racks and you'll have 280 tons of cargo with the ability of landing at outposts, and decent range. A 3a shield with 4 shield boosters gets you 336mj of shields, quite enough to keep wannabe pirates off your back while you pepper them with mines or charge up your fsd. Maybe an Anaconda would be better but it's still too expensive for me...

CG RUNNING / EXPLORING / MISSIONS: Asp explorer, 96 cargo, about 22 ly laden/32ly unladen. The jump range helps a lot in reaching whatever CG / mission target no matter how far, 96 cargo is enough for most missions and a few trips will get your foot in the door (up to top 50% in my experience) on most CGs. Has a 3a scoop, adv and detailed scanners and an SRV bay to explore short range. Kinda frail with only a 3a shield but with 5a thrusters you can escape most threats and it can drop mines like a pro. If you renounce 32 tons of cargo for a size 5 shield it becomes competent at fighting too, with 6 hardpoints you can mix and match and take on any ship your size or smaller. Can land anywhere, go anywhere quickly, do anything but direct heavy combat. We have vultures and fdls for that.

MULTIROLE: eh... I have a clipper for that but not using it much, it's so large and lacking shields that it feels vulnerable in combat, has ok range and great speed but enormous drift so kinda sucks in asteroid fields, although it can be fitted with all kind of internals I find I would be better off getting my dedicated ships or the Asp in most cases. This makes me sad because I love fast, sexy ships with that kind of firepower.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 28, 2016

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Does gabri (https://imgur.com/a/fFWsz#8crI1bu) work post beta?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 29, 2016

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

TorakFade posted:

So, a few random thoughts / reviews of my ship collection divided by role :

MULTIROLE: eh... I have a clipper for that but not using it much, it's so large and lacking shields that it feels vulnerable in combat, has ok range and great speed but enormous drift so kinda sucks in asteroid fields, although it can be fitted with all kind of internals I find I would be better off getting my dedicated ships or the Asp in most cases. This makes me sad because I love fast, sexy ships with that kind of firepower.

it's a baller pirate ship. hatch breakers and cargo limpets in the extra internal space, large pulses and med missiles. it's fast and sexy so you can run away looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Colonial Air Force posted:

OMG this game is amazing in VR

welcome to the dork side

• Locked thread