Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Gotham season 2 is on Canadian Netflix now in case you wanna hate watch it with me.

Rotten Tomatoes score both audience and critical are pretty decent. Why does this show just bore the gently caress out of me? Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

Rotten Tomatoes score both audience and critical are pretty decent. Why does this show just bore the gently caress out of me? Am I missing something?

Welcome to the Light, brother.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Walking Dead really loves to remind people of that season finale they all hated. Of course this probably means the new season will open to record numbers just for people wanting to know who died. It worked for the new season of American Horror Story.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Welcome to the Light, brother.

I mean I'm not a loving Batman historian, but the gently caress is it with providing all these Batman villain origins? Doesn't that mean they'll be like super old by the time Batman actually becomes Batman?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's almost like the entire show is ill-conceived.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

notthegoatseguy posted:

I mean I'm not a loving Batman historian, but the gently caress is it with providing all these Batman villain origins? Doesn't that mean they'll be like super old by the time Batman actually becomes Batman?

Young Penguin and Riddler were like the only well received part of Gotham season one so they went whole hog after that.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Should have killed young Bruce Wayne in episode 2 and make it obvious the show has no rules

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Gotham is a good show. Is there some stupid story beats? Of course, but the sum of all the parts is an enjoyable, over the top show.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So as much as I love Agents of Shield I gotta say the season 4 opener really did nothing for me. It was establishing the new status quo while simultaneously being annoyingly coy about just what that is. The way they kept talking about the nebulous director didn't pique my interest, it just made me not care and want them to just get on with it.

LMD was interesting.

I liked the Rider himself, but didn't particularly find his story interesting, I especially wasn't interested in Daisy's story.

There was just a lot of characters moping about not being able to do the things they wanted to do, and for some reason none of it was garnering my sympathy.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

Batman actually becoming Batman is nowhere on the show's roadmap.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

greatn posted:

So as much as I love Agents of Shield I gotta say the season 4 opener really did nothing for me. It was establishing the new status quo while simultaneously being annoyingly coy about just what that is. The way they kept talking about the nebulous director didn't pique my interest, it just made me not care and want them to just get on with it.

LMD was interesting.

I liked the Rider himself, but didn't particularly find his story interesting, I especially wasn't interested in Daisy's story.

There was just a lot of characters moping about not being able to do the things they wanted to do, and for some reason none of it was garnering my sympathy.

Same. It was an okay episode, but it really felt like one of those "bridge" episodes on Game of Thrones; where they spend the entire episode setting things up and then make you wait a week for the payoff.

It's even more annoying with Game of Thrones, because there are only 10 episodes a season and you're wasting 10% of the season as a lead in to the "real" episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yep that definitely sounds like a SHIELD episode.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

greatn posted:

LMD was interesting.

This is AoS in a nutshell. At least, it always has been for me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Man why do i have to wait a while nother week for Luke Cage

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

site posted:

Man why do i have to wait a while nother week for Luke Cage

Just think of it as an early (Sweet) Christmas present.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Question. Since they are filmed in Canada and several of the leads are Canadians do the DC tv shows count as CanTent for the broadcast regulations up here?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Canadian production company needs to be involved to qualify, along with certain amounts of key staff.

The CW shows don't qualify, since their staff is all LA based and they're only shooting in BC for the savings.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 24, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Watching Gotham S2 now and i'm reminded of the one thing I didn't like. Riddler is a psycho murder.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Watching Gotham S2 now and i'm reminded of the one thing I didn't like. Riddler is a psycho murder.

Riddler, Penguin, Jerome, Fish and Crazy Barbara are the only things I liked about Gotham. that said, i stopped watching at like 202.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr Hootington posted:

Riddler in 52 killed a poo poo ton of people

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Seriously the Gotham Poison Ivy being a 12 year old in a 22 year old's body is definitely not going to lead to something incredibly creepy, no sir.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Riddler in 52 killed a poo poo ton of people

I didn't read nu52 Batman, but this is distressing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr Hootington posted:

I didn't read nu52 Batman, but this is distressing.

Zero Hour is really good and he is a major part of it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Medullah posted:

Seriously the Gotham Poison Ivy being a 12 year old in a 22 year old's body is definitely not going to lead to something incredibly creepy, no sir.

Well, she got out more than 5 words in her new body before she was lured into an older man's house, that's progress right?

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Agents of Shield had another badass episode, here's some of the key points I took away (spoilered just in case):

- They've introduced what connects this show to Doctor Strange: the Darkhold. It's an evil book of black magic spells and was responsible for creating the first vampire and werewolf in the MCU. Could this potentially open the door for Blade in the MCU as well?

- About the new Director of Shield: His name is Jeffrey and he's apparently an Inhuman with super strength. People are convinced this guy is Jeffrey Mace, otherwise known as The Patriot and also has taken the mantle as Captain America when Steve Rogers dissapeared.

- Ghost Rider continues to be badass, his effects are great! In this episode as Ghost Rider he literally burns a ghost's soul with a penance stare. In terms of backstory, Robbie said he "sold his soul to the devil", but I suspect that his Uncle Eli (who he is tied to in the comics) will be the one who obtained the Darkhold and became a spirit of vengeance.

- Apparently the actress who plays Daisy did all of the stunts (including the scene where she's hanging onto the top of the Ghost Rider charger) herself.

Great stuff overall! It's a bummer there's a week or two-week break now for the next episode :(

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
To address the devil thing (without spoilers since it was in promo material for over a week), that scene played pretty loose with the devil mention. I think it will be that the book will be more key to his origins than them just mixing his origin with the Blaze version of the character.

Also, unless that book is a part of the story of the Doctor Strange movie, its not an actual connection. Being connected in the comics doesn't mean much, since this is not the comics. Despite that, this episode was definitely better than the first by far. But I am starting to dread that Ghost Rider is going to be someone we barely see because of that costs of his effects. He had one tiny scene, and Robbie's eye's glowing and lighting objects on fire is going to get old quickly.

This season *could* shape up to be the best yet by far. Such an immediate hiatus really stinks though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

bobkatt013 posted:

Zero Hour is really good and he is a major part of it.

You mean Zero Year, right? And yes, Zero Year is probably the best Riddler story, well, ever.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ToastyPotato posted:

Such an immediate hiatus really stinks though.

It's a bummer, but outside of the show's control. They have to cede the airtime to a slap fight between racist grandpa and avuncular grandpa.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Also, unless that book is a part of the story of the Doctor Strange movie, its not an actual connection. Being connected in the comics doesn't mean much, since this is not the comics. Despite that, this episode was definitely better than the first by far. But I am starting to dread that Ghost Rider is going to be someone we barely see because of that costs of his effects. He had one tiny scene, and Robbie's eye's glowing and lighting objects on fire is going to get old quickly.

In hindsight, yeah I guess you're right. The book might not be an actual connection (who knows what the movie will involve), but what it DOES do is introduce the concept of magic in the MCU. I had said it was a possible connection with Strange mainly because the book has been used in Doctor Strange stories before in the comics.

And yeah, it's kind of a shame they're really limiting the use of the flaming skull because it's Ghost Rider's signature defining feature :(

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Darkforce has actually already been introduced in the MCU in season 2 and three of AOS. Marcus Daniels/Blackout's powers came from an experiment with Darkforce. And that Russian Inhuman that controlled....shadows with dark force or something like that? Darkforce was also a huge plot in season 2 of Agent Carter.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
A lot of similar names in the Marvel universe. In this case, Darkhold, not Darkforce.

http://marvel.com/universe/Darkhold

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

Darkforce has actually already been introduced in the MCU in season 2 and three of AOS. Marcus Daniels/Blackout's powers came from an experiment with Darkforce. And that Russian Inhuman that controlled....shadows with dark force or something like that? Darkforce was also a huge plot in season 2 of Agent Carter.

I figured Darkforce was tapping into an alternative dimension (like negative energy), not necessarily magic - but I'm not 100% sure. Either way, I'm glad they're starting to explore cooler concepts in the show

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

howe_sam posted:

It's a bummer, but outside of the show's control. They have to cede the airtime to a slap fight between racist grandpa and avuncular grandpa.

Which is the one who looks like his face is on too tight?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That episode of AoS was pretty good, drat. The world still has surprises.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Shield has been knocking it out of the park for a long time now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Reset Smith posted:

Shield has been knocking it out of the park for a long time now.

Worth noting that the park is 15 feet wide so not a huge achievement.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Worth noting that the park is 15 feet wide so not a huge achievement.

Come on though man, that t-ball stand was still really wobbly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The A.V. Club got early access to Luke Cage and gave it an A-. The review is getting me hyped to marathon it over the next week.

quote:

The past year hasn’t exactly represented the halcyon days of black America, and yet it’s given rise to the zenith of blackness in America. The silver lining around our tempestuous zeitgeist is that the country is being forced to consider blackness as its own distinct phenomenon. Even as some would declare race irrelevant—and it often is—they’ve also had to confront how Beyonce’s Lemonade made them feel, or consider why NBC’s The Wiz Live put a hard stop to the tradition of using live musicals in social media stoning rituals.

The most recent symbol of the new golden era of blackness is Marvel’s Luke Cage, Netflix’s latest entry in its very own Marvel Cinematic Universe and further proof that “blackness” may be the closest English approximation of “je ne sais quoi.” After first popping up in Netflix’s terrific Jessica Jones series, Mike Colter reprises his role as Marvel’s chain-gang John Henry, a totem of black masculinity with literally bulletproof skin. Colter, who so gamely played drug lord Lemond Bishop in The Good Wife, uses his physicality and gravitas to even better effect as the hero of the story. Luke Cage’s fleeting appearance in Jessica Jones hinted at great things to come, and the final product meets the high expectations.

Luke Cage mostly follows the storytelling template laid out by its Netflix predecessors. Its story unfolds at a slow and steady pace, initially to a fault. But as its pieces fall into place and the show relinquishes its potent origin story, Luke Cage becomes more intoxicating. Much of the show’s success has to do with Colter’s performance, which is, for lack of a less punny word, marvelous. He even manages to look like a badass while tossing off Luke’s hokey signature exclamation “Sweet Christmas!” It’s the kind of lead performance that could easily throw a show off balance, but Colter is well-matched with Mahershala Ali, whose unsettling charm and billion-watt smile are put to optimal use as the sinister Cornell “Cottonmouth” Stokes.

The story itself isn’t exactly boundary-pushing, starting with Luke’s meager beginnings as a low-profile dishwasher at Cottonmouth’s modern speakeasy, then being sucked into Cottonmouth’s orbit as well as that of Misty Knight (Simone Missick), the detective investigating an illicit deal gone terribly wrong. Creator Cheo Hodari Coker brings the world to life with rhythmic dialogue, one example of how Luke Cage’s appeal is more a result of the execution than the fundamental concept. We’ve seen plenty of broken masculine superheroes, including Netflix’s Daredevil, but none who invoke the spirit of Crispus Attucks or mollywhop their way through a gaggle of henchmen set to the tune of Wu-Tang Clan’s “Bring Da Ruckus.”

If nothing else, Coker has created Marvel’s most stylish television world along with director Paul McGuigan, who shot the first two episodes. They’ve created something akin to a contemporary vision of Chester Himes’ Harlem, but combined with a classic comic-book story about the great responsibility that comes with great power. And it’s difficult to overstate how good Luke Cage sounds. Among the show’s master strokes is drafting Adrian Younge and Ali Shaheed Muhammad to compose the score, which perfectly blends blaxploitation and hip-hop sensibilities. (To deepen the connection to hip-hop, every episode is named after a strategically selected Gang Starr track.) This visual and sonic palette isn’t used to great effect much these days, as the era of reboots has largely left out blaxploitation and its complicated protagonists. Coker has managed to gracefully update the genre, a feat as herculean as the ones Cage pulls off.

Beyond all the stylistic and narrative elements going on, there’s a beautiful focus on black skin—Luke’s mahogany, Misty’s mocha, and Cottonmouth’s midnight, among others. In its comic book form, Luke Cage was an on-the-nose racial allegory in which a black man’s biggest liability becomes his most powerful asset. The cinematography brings out Colter’s complexion to subtly reinforce the theme in nearly every frame. It’s important to say “nearly,” because the consequence of the neo-noir aesthetic is a duskiness that occasionally blots out the superhero of the story. (It’s mostly a shame for Ali, who escaped David Fincher’s shadowy House Of Cards only to be plunged back into darkness.)

Luke Cage is the result of a meticulous vision, and it should rightfully elevate Coker into the league of television auteurs. Coker, a former hip-hop journalist turned Southland scribe, is following in the tradition of David Simon, who demonstrated with The Wire how a journalist’s eye for detail and quest for authenticity can serve a scripted story just as well. As a result, Luke Cage is the type of show you can strongly admire even if you don’t like it—if only because it’s a wonderfully, powerfully, unapologetically black show, a label it now shares with Queen Sugar and Atlanta. Blackness, when rendered with respect and admiration, packs one hell of a punch.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just looked up who wrote it, so i won't complain

E: I can't wait!!

site fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*