Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

Why the gently caress does one person have that much mercury?

Because mercury is basically the coolest thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

TheChaosPath posted:

Because mercury is basically the coolest thing

I mean, I'm not disagreeing with you. Mercury is still something I wouldn't want a couple hundred pounds of sitting around.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

to flush it

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He also distils it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Elmnt80 posted:

Well, when you've got a mercury mine and an insatiable desire to smelt metals :shrug:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

He ended the video mentioning hitting the hospital to test for mercury poisoning- what can they do to treat it aside from telling him to stop playing with turlets full of Hg?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Vice President Al GOR posted:

He ended the video mentioning hitting the hospital to test for mercury poisoning- what can they do to treat it aside from telling him to stop playing with turlets full of Hg?

Probably something to chelate it up and new kidneys after he trashes them.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Vice President Al GOR posted:

Chelation is not just for quack chiropractors.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was reading tellurium’s Wikipedia article a couple days ago and came across this fun fact:

quote:

Tellurium poisoning is particularly difficult to treat as many chelation agents used in the treatment of metal poisoning will increase the toxicity of tellurium.

More mercury:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv3XbKH3-lQ

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Phanatic posted:

That depends on the density of Uranus.

:vince:

eh

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Elmnt80 posted:

It came up in the thread before when a video of the same guy dunking his hand in a bucket of mercury was posted. Here is the video where he explains where he got it all, and his channel has a lot of videos showing it being used for different things.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Um is that or is that not a turd in the bowl at the linked timecode.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
"mercury nitrate will absorb through the skin"

*spills solution everywhere*

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Um is that or is that not a turd in the bowl at the linked timecode.

It's a bullet

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
What This Here Compound Needs Is Some Hydrogen Peroxide
New "Things I Won't Work With" has been posted.

quote:

So I have to congratulate these folks; they’ve managed to combine two of my Things I Won’t Work With entries into the same flippin’ substance.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

nmfree posted:

:stare:

That's...

Do you think they just have bomb disposal suits on at all times?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

nmfree posted:

I went to Shreeve's school. Shes got to be pushing the century mark by now. She was a professor at the school before the chemistry building had a woman's restroom.

She pushes her students like Madam Curie did back in her day but except with fluorine/boom chemistry instead of radiation.

There aren't many people I've met who I respect more.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

I went to Shreeve's school. Shes got to be pushing the century mark by now. She was a professor at the school before the chemistry building had a woman's restroom.

She pushes her students like Madam Curie did back in her day but except with fluorine/boom chemistry instead of radiation.

I would imagine the weekly cardio "wind sprints to the blast shield" definitely help keep you healthy.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Base Emitter posted:

"mercury nitrate will absorb through the skin"

*spills solution everywhere*

I think that was just washings from the flask, but yeah that was still pretty funny.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Cody is a legit honest-to-God mad scientist and I love him for it. Dude has panned for gold, extracted gold from electronics and random poo poo he bought on eBay, mined cinnabar and refined mercury from it, manufactured nitrates from piss and rotting leaves and used it to make gunpowder, and flushed a bullet down a goddamn toilet with mercury instead of water. You can lose hours on his channel. He's pretty much what you'd get if this thread was a person.

e: He's also done some cool stuff that has a neat little bit of historical educational value in it, too, like processing dyer's woad in basically the way they would have done in antiquity, to dye a shirt blue, and the aforementioned gunpowder experiment.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 13:08 on Sep 28, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

This sounds like an exaggerat-- "B.A., Chemistry, University of Montana, 1953" :stare:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

This sounds like an exaggerat-- "B.A., Chemistry, University of Montana, 1953" :stare:

She sounds like someone who won't take no for an answer when it comes to science. I like her already.

Edit: Also holy poo poo yes that is some beautiful, dangerous chemistry in that article. I can't wait to see if Klapötke does anything interesting with it if his crazy rear end team hasn't already tried it.

Kwyndig has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Sep 28, 2016

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

pretty FOOF: the first modern chelation med came from an attempted antidote for Lewisite, the chemical weapon meant to replace mustards, except it was too good of a vesicant and caused peoples skin to blister immediately instead of the next day like mustards.

They made a bunch of Lewisite a couple miles from where I live, spilled a lot of it too, and 100 years later its a superfund site. It's all zoned for industrial, and every now and then someone digs into a pocket of arsenic so they just clean it up when it happens. It all goes into Lake Erie one way or another so who cares lol

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Syd Midnight posted:

They made a bunch of Lewisite a couple miles from where I live, spilled a lot of it too, and 100 years later its a superfund site. It's all zoned for industrial, and every now and then someone digs into a pocket of arsenic so they just clean it up when it happens. It all goes into Lake Erie one way or another so who cares lol

Japan left a number of depot/dumps behind in China as well, and occasionally someone digs into one and gets melted.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

nmfree posted:

Derek Lowe should write a TIWWW book.

quote:

It says that “no unplanned detonations were encountered” during the work, which is a nice distinction. For most of us in the lab, every detonation has a spontaneous zing to it, a je ne sais quoi that you really just have to experience, because words are insufficient.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Cody is a legit honest-to-God mad scientist and I love him for it. Dude has panned for gold, extracted gold from electronics and random poo poo he bought on eBay, mined cinnabar and refined mercury from it, manufactured nitrates from piss and rotting leaves and used it to make gunpowder, and flushed a bullet down a goddamn toilet with mercury instead of water. You can lose hours on his channel. He's pretty much what you'd get if this thread was a person.

e: He's also done some cool stuff that has a neat little bit of historical educational value in it, too, like processing dyer's woad in basically the way they would have done in antiquity, to dye a shirt blue, and the aforementioned gunpowder experiment.

Just watched the "straight up refining mercury from rocks I mined off my land" video and I'm already getting vibes of "Would You Like To Buy A Kilo Of Isopropyl Bromide?"

My wife overhead the video and she was wondering if it's even legal to do that. Guy said he owned the mineral rights to the land, which I'm guessing would be the major roadblock aside from any pollution created during the refining process.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Phy posted:

Just watched the "straight up refining mercury from rocks I mined off my land" video and I'm already getting vibes of "Would You Like To Buy A Kilo Of Isopropyl Bromide?"

My wife overhead the video and she was wondering if it's even legal to do that. Guy said he owned the mineral rights to the land, which I'm guessing would be the major roadblock aside from any pollution created during the refining process.

As long as you follow all the appropriate regulations about your waste products, it's (surprisingly) perfectly legal.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

nmfree posted:

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

It would probably be a really nerve-wracking field but there's something appealing to me about working with explosives chemistry. If only it all didn't go towards things to make people blow up better though :\

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Actually, blowing people up as a science has already reached an endpoint, barring the discovery of a more stable replacement for C4. Most of the high energy explosives work is done either just for the hell of it (pure science) or in hopes of making a better rocket fuel or for industrial use.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

On what authority or funding numbers or basis do you say that?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Yeah, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because C4 itself is not the end-all and be-all of military explosives. If C4 was fine, the military wouldn't have gone on to develop Octol, HBX, etc. C4 is used in certain applications and not in others. And so far as rocket fuels go, if specific impulse is your concern you're not getting much better than hydrogen/oxygen.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Oct 5, 2016

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
klapotke himself been public about doing his work largely for military applications as well, f.ex

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well color me surprised then.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because C4 itself is not the end-all and be-all of military explosives. If C4 was fine, the military wouldn't have gone on to develop Octol, HBX, etc. C4 is used in certain applications and not in others. And so far as rocket fuels go, if specific impulse is your concern you're not getting much better than hydrogen/oxygen.

Rocket fuel has plenty of concerns other than specific impulse. We don't use ion thrusters to take off from the ground, for example.

Or if you're building a military rocket, you generally care quite a lot about being able to have the propellant just sitting in the rocket for years, while still being able to launch at a moment's notice. You can't do that with cryogenic fuels.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

David Borhani
September 27, 2016 at 11:43 am
Derek, why don’t you post chemical pictures anymore?

Derek Lowe in reply to David Borhani
September 27, 2016 at 11:54 am
No time on the train this morning – let me see if I can drop one in now that it’s lunchtime. . .

Mike in reply to David Borhani
September 27, 2016 at 11:58 am
His ChemDraw ran out of Ns.

:rimshot:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Energy density, too. I imagine a more compact missile with similar performance is something nobody would turn down, as long as it's not too inconvenient or unsafe.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Jabor posted:

Rocket fuel has plenty of concerns other than specific impulse. We don't use ion thrusters to take off from the ground, for example.

Sure, and we use kerosene/lox because hydrogen has really lovely density. And the military tested that mercury-propellant rocket because they were interested in improving density impulse, which is relevant for how many missiles you can fit into a magazine, etc.

quote:

Or if you're building a military rocket, you generally care quite a lot about being able to have the propellant just sitting in the rocket for years, while still being able to launch at a moment's notice. You can't do that with cryogenic fuels.

Yeah, wasn't thinking about storables. I have the space thread on my brain.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Abyssal Squid posted:

Not bad, but now do it with a Jupiter rock.

Bring back a Mars rock or a Jupiter rock, I’ll eat it or lick it. There is no life on the other planet.

:psyduck: Jupiter is a ball of gas, though. It doesn't have any rocks, or a surface rocks could go on.

e: oh. After googling the name he's a nutter anyway. Can't expect a fundamentalist to be up on their astronomy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Hyperlynx posted:

:psyduck: Jupiter is a ball of gas, though. It doesn't have any rocks, or a surface rocks could go on.

e: oh. After googling the name he's a nutter anyway. Can't expect a fundamentalist to be up on their astronomy...

we aren't sure of jupiter's interior composition at all

it is entirely possible that somewhere in there are solid substances that could be referred to as jupiter rocks, protected from observation by pressures and forces unimaginable, but it seems to be too dense to be nothing but gas

i would love to see a jupiter rock, is what i'm saying, and if he has the effectors on hand to make it happen then

atelier morgan has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Oct 6, 2016