Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Ah. I thought you were saying that the AoE fire was DoT and I couldn't get it to proc because of low STR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Whole lotta abbr itt imho. Idk it's p confusing but idgaf

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Now, now. We don't want to make it too easy~

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Chokes McGee posted:

Whole lotta abbr itt imho. Idk it's p confusing but idgaf

Ok, this made me laugh despite knowing that this was a bit of a gaff towards me. :downs:

I'll tone it down for a while. I guess I might be a little TOO knowledgeable about the mechanics of this game. :science:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mauman posted:

Also, dots of the same type don't stack. So if you have a troll (bleed), imp (arcane), Dryad (frost, poison), or witch (fire, poison) you're being redundant.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. E.g. the AM sorcerer ends up getting two frost DOT-causing spells and they stack.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

mauman posted:

Ok, this made me laugh despite knowing that this was a bit of a gaff towards me. :downs:

I think I might have been part of the problem too, but blaming it all on you works for me. :P

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 28, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

EDIT: As much as I'm having fun with this discussion, yeah we might be going to far.

DGM_2 posted:

I think I might have been part of the problem too, but blaming it all on you works for me. :P

Happy to help :hfive:

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 28, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mauman posted:

Interesting. I know poison/arcane/bleed skills don't stack. They might be considered two separate dots. A few of the skills work wildly weird in this game (see scorch)

I'll take a look at it if I give the game another go.

If that's so then the Arch Magus is a bit better than I thought. Still nowhere near as good as the Knight though. And still frustrating as hell when your magic does near-zero damage (dot's not withstanding) while doing nothing against defense.

My memory could totally be faulty here, but yeah I'm pretty sure if it's a different named DOT then it should stack.

Not that I disagree about the KM still being better.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

mauman posted:

yup, especially when the special buff you get crits and you spontaneously get several hundred strength.

boss fight, 2nd round, 1980's

I got 4 digit damage out of that skill before.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

I got 4 digit damage out of that skill before.

Yeah so have I.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 28, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I really don't care about all the stat nerdery in all honesty. Just keep in mind two things:

1) don't spoil anything by discussing specific Arch Magus abilities

2) don't spoil boss fights. Even "oh man check out boss seven fight three when you get there IT IS SO SICK" because it's not like I knew there WAS a third fight or whatever.

No one has violated these rules yet! Just keeping things in the rails, just in case

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also as far as I've been able to tell you can have poison, bleed, scorch, witchfire, and sear all on one target and every single one of them will do damage. It's pretty incredible :allears:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Gah! I missed voting! Oh well. I played through with an Arch Magus my first time through this game, and I rolled a Knight Magus this time. Of the two I like the Knight better, although it might just be my memory playing tricks on me with respect to the Arch Magus' usefulness. In either case, a couple of things about paths not taken, since I'm assuming that's fair game -

First, the Werewolf is probably the source of the Fire/Ice Blade thing, odd as that sounds, since around about now (as in around this next block, I think?) he learns Fire and Ice Claw, which share every property (Energy cost, cooldown, effects) with the Puppet's version. This is nice because it gives him something to consistently do in boss fights, since his default oraoraoraoraora approach is great for packs and lousy for single targets.

Second, Arcane Blade, the Knight Magus's trademark ability (or at least the first one s/he learns) seems like either it's bugged, or the display for its effect is, because while it does do enough damage to make Vlad's big ol' swing hang its head in shame, it also pops up a mysterious blue number, which starts around -50 for me. The only thing I've ever seen that uses blue numbers is the +1 Focus display that pops up at the start of each participant's turn. Soooo...maybe the Knight Magus can nuke enemy Focus pools? I honestly don't know. Like so many things Paper Sorcerer, it is a mystery to me.

vdate fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 29, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

vdate posted:

Soooo...maybe the Knight Magus can nuke enemy Focus pools? I honestly don't know. Like so many things Paper Sorcerer, it is a mystery to me.

That's exactly what it is. Use it on a mage, if the mage survives (somehow) he won't cast spells.

Not that this works on bosses as far as I remember.

Chokes McGee posted:

Also as far as I've been able to tell you can have poison, bleed, scorch, witchfire, and sear all on one target and every single one of them will do damage. It's pretty incredible :allears:

Oops, not what I meant. I meant two poison skills couldn't stack or two bleed skills. Yes, all of those can stack, and if you're going the magic route it's pretty much your best bet.

still nowhere near as good as physical damage though

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 29, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mauman posted:

That's exactly what it is. Use it on a mage, if the mage survives (somehow) he won't cast spells.

Not that this works on bosses as far as I remember.

I've tried and it absolutely doesn't. Either they just have way too huge energy pools or their skills cost a pittance, cause I've never seen 'em unable to use an ability.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Looks like I missed the vote, but I would've voted for Arch Magus anyway just for magic and magic with a side order of more mage with extra magic.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the bonus dungeon nature of the puppet. It's neat to see that develop.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Derek Barona posted:

Looks like I missed the vote, but I would've voted for Arch Magus anyway just for magic and magic with a side order of more mage with extra magic.

This is why I was really hoping you guys would pick it, because hornhead sure as hell isn't going to go "Hmm, you know what I want? To be on the front lines getting punched in the skull!"

He's really more the "I'm not lifting a goddamn finger unless it's to turn someone into ash" type. :mmmhmm:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
You guys. You guys you guys you guys.

I finally cleared the next floor. It had a plot point that I already knew about it and it was everything I could've hoped for.

Nobody spoil anything but we've got fun times coming up in the next four updates. I'll be in Hawaii all of next week though so don't expect it then.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Wow, way to cliff hang

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chocolate Chunk posted:

Wow, way to cliff hang

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
You don't think I saw that Tommy Tutone joke, but I DID. :colbert:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
:derp: :derp: :derp:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
hey guys! we're about to leave for Honolulu, and I'll actually have time to work on an update during the flight. Who knows, we may actually get an upda

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
(Chokes McGee's plane spun into the sea. There were no survivors.)

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

The only thing found from the wreckage was a small wooden doll.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
The doll inexplicably had blades for arms.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

And inexplicably on fire despite being submerged in water.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
That just raises further questions!

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 2, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The wood was also made entirely of wasps.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"Please send help, we tried to remove the things batteries when it kept creepily saying "LP FFL3" when it didn't think we were watching which makes no sense to us as the US Coast Guard and can only assume its cartridge or whatever just got too much salt water and corrupted it from saying what it was designed to, like "I'm Talking Tina, and I'm going to murder you" like any other good normal talking doll would...

...but there are no batteries to this thing!"

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

: You know that was a good LP. That curse is just magical thinking, I'll start a new Let's Play.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SystemLogoff posted:

: You know that was a good LP. That curse is just magical thinking, I'll start a new Let's Play.

hahahaha this is really hey wait a minute isn't that my block

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also now seems like a relevant time to bust this back out

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Chokes McGee posted:

Does this mean the LP will now be continued by Col Potter?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Chokes McGee posted:

You shouldn't have filled out your address on that internet form, no matter how sad it was.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

As someone who lives in Honolulu, I can confirm that simply coming to Honolulu at all is the next strike of the LP curse.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

It isn't your block yet. A couple weeks away from home and the Wasps may have started legal proceedings citing imminent domain. You may have to move between your vacation and the LP's completion.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

FeyerbrandX posted:

It isn't your block yet. A couple weeks away from home and the Wasps may have started legal proceedings citing imminent domain. You may have to move between your vacation and the LP's completion.

I was going to say it's actually "eminent" domain, but the more I think about it, the more "imminent" actually suits...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
How did I miss this for most of a year? Seriously, Chokes' LPs are the best.

• Locked thread