Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

Ugh, even more reason to hate that car.

The whole VAG empire is hateable. The Mk1 chassis is nearly perfect in every way, its beautiful. The Mk2 was a modest redesign that addresses most of the issues of the Mk1. Starting with the Mk3 they began shoving cheap poo poo into their cars to finance buying a shitload of luxury divisions and building the Bugatti.

My grandfather came to this country and bought an air-cooled van to drive across it, my dad bought a beat to poo poo beetle when our family was dirty poor and I bought my Scirocco that was supposed to be crushed for scrap and ran it through university on a shoestring budget. The old cars will always hold a special place in our family for being cheap and reliable, but jesus nothing they've made in the past 20 years has resembled anything close to those cars. They've basically hosed over their traditional consumer base to build cars for rich people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

blunt posted:

Go back to the 10/6/5/4/3/2/1 points system, but also apply it to qualifying. Also fastest lap of the race gets 2 points.

Nah, points system is fine the way it is. It was changed for a good reason.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

The whole VAG empire is hateable. The Mk1 chassis is nearly perfect in every way, its beautiful. The Mk2 was a modest redesign that addresses most of the issues of the Mk1. Starting with the Mk3 they began shoving cheap poo poo into their cars to finance buying a shitload of luxury divisions and building the Bugatti.

My grandfather came to this country and bought an air-cooled van to drive across it, my dad bought a beat to poo poo beetle when our family was dirty poor and I bought my Scirocco that was supposed to be crushed for scrap and ran it through university on a shoestring budget. The old cars will always hold a special place in our family for being cheap and reliable, but jesus nothing they've made in the past 20 years has resembled anything close to those cars. They've basically hosed over their traditional consumer base to build cars for rich people.

Hey. My B5 S4 has always said nice things about you. :colbert:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Alain Post posted:

Someone once told me that Porsche's sportscar program in the 90s got killed because the engineers were pulled to work on the Cayenne, and I have no idea if that's true but that's loving bad if it is

What happened was Porsche pulled out of LMP1 handing it over to Audi, and in return VAG helped Porsche out with the Caynne project. This was actually revleased quite recently, good article over at Mulsane Corner http://www.mulsannescorner.com/porschelmp1.html

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Late to the party, but the difference in engine noise level between the v8's and the hybrids is in no way 'perception' or how the sound is picked up for TV.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Late to the party, but the difference in engine noise level between the v8's and the hybrids is in no way 'perception' or how the sound is picked up for TV.

no one said it was

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

wicka posted:

no one said it was

Please for love of god no one reply to this

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Farmland Park posted:

What happened was Porsche pulled out of LMP1 handing it over to Audi, and in return VAG helped Porsche out with the Caynne project. This was actually revleased quite recently, good article over at Mulsane Corner http://www.mulsannescorner.com/porschelmp1.html

I love this site as it's chalk full of technical info for :flashfap: but WHY does it have to be white text on a black background? After 3 sentences my eyes want to :suicide:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The dude is like Joes Award except he's concise, interesting and knows what he's talking about.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CratSock posted:

I don't see how drivers actually pushing harder instead of putting around to conserve fuel and tires would make racing more static. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't get how. Can you elaborate?

If a driver can do a 1:12 with the car he has on lap 1, he can do 1:12 right to the end. There is no strategy. There is just 20 cars all lapping at their lap 1 speed the entire race. No-one gets a good late race run by cleverly saving some aspect of the car.

Now? A heavy car on new tyres is a very different beast to a light car on old. Even more so if the driver isn't clever enough to save tyre life when it's so easy to wreck tyres when heavy.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

stop trying to constantly start poo poo jfc

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

F1 2016: Make Wicka gently caress Off Again

:colbert:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

learnincurve posted:

It's our old friend public perception again. The engine sound on the TV is massively turned down, always has been, so there is no point of reference other than commentators like Brundle bitching about the sound, in the flesh they are much much louder.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

yeah and her point is that it's louder in person than it seems, not that it's as loud as the V8s

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
this was exactly the point yes. If you want a real reference point between the two eras then you have to listen to the drivers radio.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Dudley posted:

If a driver can do a 1:12 with the car he has on lap 1, he can do 1:12 right to the end. There is no strategy. There is just 20 cars all lapping at their lap 1 speed the entire race. No-one gets a good late race run by cleverly saving some aspect of the car.

Now? A heavy car on new tyres is a very different beast to a light car on old. Even more so if the driver isn't clever enough to save tyre life when it's so easy to wreck tyres when heavy.

OK, I can agree with some of that. The times will drop as fuel is used up, and each car will still use up tires at a different rate, so some changes will come into play. But I think saving something for a late run is kind of artificial anyway. Let's say the Mercs are doing 1:12s and the next best car can only manage a 1:13. That gap will still play out over a 70 lap race, it just a) gets worse; or b) allows them to create whatever cushion they're comfortable with and cruise the rest of the race at a boring set pace.

Maybe a hybrid long-sprint race system would work. Something that still allows choice of tires, and 1 stop to change and/or refuel (I know refueling will not come back because of logistics issues and safety concerns, but I think it would make the racing more interesting). At least that would allow for some optimistic no-stoppers on hard tires and give you that end of race fresh super soft guy to chase them down.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That's not F1 though, that's just using F1 cars in a completely different type of race - not that it should not be done, all sorts of awesome poo poo could be done with the support races if the promoters give a poo poo and the teams had the money. F1 drag racing for example would be good and cool.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Going back to the LMP1 chat a few pages back. Reading about the ByKolles LMP1 car's history and loving :lol: it's just a warmed over LMP2 chassis that they're in a legal dispute over and so they moved to LMP1 to claim it was an all new design.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I forget exactly what year it was, but I remember the ByKolles leaking a shitton of fuel into the cockpit as well as multiple bank seizures.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

learnincurve posted:

That's not F1 though, that's just using F1 cars in a completely different type of race - not that it should not be done, all sorts of awesome poo poo could be done with the support races if the promoters give a poo poo and the teams had the money. F1 drag racing for example would be good and cool.

True... but F1 as it is now is getting pretty dry. I like the idea of using the cars (maybe test/reserve drivers) in supporting events too, that would be awesome. I'm just looking for some way to increase the urgency on track and get rid of the pace-targeted races. They're practically driving Time Speed Distance Rallies for much of the races.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

George Zimmer posted:

I forget exactly what year it was, but I remember the ByKolles leaking a shitton of fuel into the cockpit as well as multiple bank seizures.

That fuel line thing always struck me as very odd. The gas tank should normally be behind the driver and in front of the engine so why do they have a high pressure fuel line in the cockpit.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

That fuel line thing always struck me as very odd. The gas tank should normally be behind the driver and in front of the engine so why do they have a high pressure fuel line in the cockpit.

That's actually a pretty common arrangement in sprint cars but yeah, it's totally out of place in sportscar racing.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I'm gonna go ahead and say that this is awesome.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

The dude is like Joes Award except he's concise, interesting and knows what he's talking about.

Yea, he seems pretty Cool And Good imo

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Nando to MotoGP and Rossi to F1. Everybody wins.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Meanwhile in Super Formula...
https://twitter.com/altf1podcast/status/780959312415830016/photo/1

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

loving incredible lol

Pacinamac
Jun 15, 2001
I CAN'T EVEN BE BOTHERED TO READ ANY FORUM SPECIFIC RULES BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE TOO MUCH TIME TAKEN AWAY FROM STICKING THINGS UP MY ASS

Front tire ninja changes tire before left tire schlub dose.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the SF front pit guys are fun to watch.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

wicka posted:

yeah and her point is that it's louder in person than it seems, not that it's as loud as the V8s

And that point would be completely wrong. They are even quieter then most people probably expect.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If the volume level of the droning produced by 22 cars making the exact same sound is critically important to your enjoyment of this sport then I recommend you purchase Mr Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music and play that in your stereo system during the race.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The V8s sounded like poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

If the volume level of the droning produced by 22 cars making the exact same sound is critically important to your enjoyment of this sport then I recommend you purchase Mr Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music and play that in your stereo system during the race.

Honestly, if someone wants good engine noise, go to a drat V8 Supercar or NASCAR race. There, big beastly V8s rumbling away.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Honestly, if someone wants good engine noise, go to a drat V8 Supercar or NASCAR race. There, big beastly V8s rumbling away.

Until 2018 when Supercars gets V6s.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Human Grand Prix posted:

The V8s sounded like poo poo.

:agreed:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I dunno what you guys are talking about with NASCAR and supercars noise, if you want noise go to NHRA top fuel. 10,000 horsepower bro, not no sissy poo poo

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I dunno what you guys are talking about with NASCAR and supercars noise, if you want noise go to NHRA top fuel. 10,000 horsepower bro, not no sissy poo poo

I love motor noise but gently caress, that poo poo is some other level of loud.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

WEC has the best noise, you have about a dozen different engine configurations with unique sounds running around. I just want variety, if you have a field of 20 or so of the same type of engine no matter what you do its going to just mush together.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I know someone who's into that (top fuel dragstars) and he is, in one word, a "oval office".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GramCracker posted:

I love motor noise but gently caress, that poo poo is some other level of loud.

I heard the noise of a top fuel dragster described as the kind of noise you feel in your bones for several days afterwards. Also related to NHRA stuff this from the misc. racing thread a few days ago. Top fuel cars don't gently caress around in any way.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I went to eliminations yesterday at the NHRA AAA Nationals in St. Louis and within 5 minutes of walking into the pit area from the parking lot, I was immediately downwind of Brittany Force's top fueler when it fired up for the warm-ups and I got an unexpected huff of straight nitromethane exiting the pipes. My sinuses immediately unloaded and my eyes started watering and wouldn't stop. I toughed it out for a couple hours in the stands as I brought a buddy who was having a great time, but eventually had to leave because my eyes and sinuses were too much. He had to drive home as I could hardly keep my eyes open as they burned like a mother. I got home and flushed my eyes out in the shower for like 15 minutes and felt much better, but everything was still pretty f'ed up. I woke up this morning and while much better, I still felt like I had a bad cold so I figured i better head to the doctor.

Turns out I have a mild case of nitromethane poisoning and severely irritated eyes. Was given special eye drops and im already feeling much better at least.

Nitro is no loving joke. It's never bothered me before, but after this miserable experience I think I'm going to keep my rear end out of the pits when cars are warming up. Well, or at least be more cognizant of what's going on.

• Locked thread