Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You know, "flailing against trolls" is a pretty fair summary of Willis's artistic development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's like having cereal for breakfast. Not particularly exciting or important, but once you're in the habit, there's not really a reason to stop?

This is basically how I feel about QC, and a few other comics that remain in my feed for no special reason. It's kind of fun, isn't going to annoy me unreasonably, and doesn't consume much time. Overall it is a reasonable entertainment transaction, like when we used to watch an okay television show that came on between two other shows we wanted to watch, back when shows being on at specific times was a thing. Someday some really amazing comic might push it out of the list, but until then it isn't hurting anything in there, and it makes me smile, so what the hell.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I don't think I had ever heard of it before I saw another webcomic link to it, but there's apparently a popular comic about hockey called Check Please.
It's made a quarter million dollars in a week.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thank you for reminding me about 'Ultracar'

eugh.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Pyroclastic posted:

I don't think I had ever heard of it before I saw another webcomic link to it, but there's apparently a popular comic about hockey called Check Please.
It's made a quarter million dollars in a week.

This is how the comic appears if you go to their site.

For gently caress's sake people, stop hosting webcomics on tumblr if you aren't going to go through the effort of writing/obtaining css to make it actually readable without clicking through each panel individually unless that is specifically the design you're going for. This just makes me feel like I got bait and switched; I thought I was going to read pages of a comic, not click through a slideshow. It could easily be fit into a normal sized page too, it's just chopped up for...reasons, I guess.

I read a little of it and it looks like it's "catering to tumblr" the webcomic but say what you will, they raised three times the amount their first kickstarter did in four days so good for them I guess? I can't find anything the author's done to raise such a fanbase besides this comic, so good for her I guess.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

That hockey comic's been posted in this thread before but I don't think it got a lot of traction. Good on them, IMO.

I found a bunch of new artists at SPX this year, one of them's Amelia Onorato: http://ameliaonorato.com/comics/index.html who has a few completed short comics up: http://sorgincomic.tumblr.com http://ameliaonorato.com/bridgesofarta/?id=1 http://fortesfortunacomic.tumblr.com http://ultimathulecomic.tumblr.com/post/118067696551/page-1 and i haven't read the others.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Another (ongoing) comic that's really good if kind of slow is Sylvania: http://sylvaniacomic.com

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wrist Watch posted:

This is how the comic appears if you go to their site.

For gently caress's sake people, stop hosting webcomics on tumblr if you aren't going to go through the effort of writing/obtaining css to make it actually readable without clicking through each panel individually unless that is specifically the design you're going for. This just makes me feel like I got bait and switched; I thought I was going to read pages of a comic, not click through a slideshow. It could easily be fit into a normal sized page too, it's just chopped up for...reasons, I guess.

I read a little of it and it looks like it's "catering to tumblr" the webcomic but say what you will, they raised three times the amount their first kickstarter did in four days so good for them I guess? I can't find anything the author's done to raise such a fanbase besides this comic, so good for her I guess.

I know both io9 and The Mary Sue promoted the hell out of it when its Kickstarter went online. That's where I found out about it. I've got it bookmarked in my "to read" pile, but yeah the godawful formatting on its host tumblr is really off-putting.

Also, if we're plugging cool webcomics, here's one I found a few months ago that's kind of flown under the radar that's about to start it's sixth chapter after like a 3 month delay: Color Blind. It's a pretty nifty fantasy webcomic that does some fun things with colours/grayscale and it's all done on pen and paper. The art and story start out a little rough, but it's gotten incredibly good lately on both fronts.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

fritz posted:

Another (ongoing) comic that's really good if kind of slow is Sylvania: http://sylvaniacomic.com

i found out about here a little while ago, she did the art of my favorite paradox space comic. i agree her comic is pretty good, but the pacing, both in comic and out feels glacial

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, might be jinxing it but I think Rules of nature is about to ensure in Kiwi Blitz.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

So, might be jinxing it but I think Rules of nature is about to ensure in Kiwi Blitz.

Has anyone actually died in Kiwi Blitz yet? Also yeah, I can see this situation going horribly awry for Steffi very quickly. Gear probably is the one character in the comic who would just straight up kill someone on screen. Plus Jones has kind of been Ramsay Bolton-levels of great at playing people off one another and tooling the good guys in a way that doesn't look like it's changing any time soon.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

nine-gear crow posted:

Has anyone actually died in Kiwi Blitz yet?

Not as far as I can recall, the closest we've gotten is the security guy who got stabbed by Gear in track 9.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

nine-gear crow posted:

Has anyone actually died in Kiwi Blitz yet? Also yeah, I can see this situation going horribly awry for Steffi very quickly. Gear probably is the one character in the comic who would just straight up kill someone on screen. Plus Jones has kind of been Ramsay Bolton-levels of great at playing people off one another and tooling the good guys in a way that doesn't look like it's changing any time soon.

Honestly I feel like Jones is a good example of a villain who's dangerous because she isn't really all that smart and I hope she doesn't degenerate into genuine competence.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

No, but certainly not for lack of trying. The whole cybermail conciet really helps in allowing people to be beat the hell up without immediate mortal danger.

Mary's gone on record saying that we're in the last 25% of the story so maybe this is the start of the Return of the Jedai turn for the heroes?

At the very least that sword is probably going to do something of worth before Gear gets to make Steffi's day even worse.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 28, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Morbi posted:

Latchkey Kingdom fuckin rules
Nick submitted a Poppy guest page that's going up next week and it's a strong contender for one of my favorites.

I accidentally read the last page first but even as a one panel comic this is hilarious.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Renaissance Robot posted:

I accidentally read the last page first but even as a one panel comic this is hilarious.
Hm, the alt text.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
The mechanics of how souls and ghosts work in Poppy unfortunately mean that this comic can't fit into canon...
But in my heart, I absolutely want to believe Mary has attempted to fellate a ghost at least once.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Morbi posted:

The mechanics of how souls and ghosts work in Poppy unfortunately mean that this comic can't fit into canon...

Is it because the ghostly tail thing starts above the waist? :ghost:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is it because the ghostly tail thing starts above the waist? :ghost:
__________________/

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
101 Ways to Do It with Incomplete Equipment: A Mary Moonshine Mack Manual

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Morbi posted:

But in my heart, I absolutely want to believe Mary has attempted to fellate a ghost at least once.

Well really, who hasn't?

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Gutter Owl posted:

Well really, who hasn't?
On average, a given person will fellate six ghosts in their lifetime without even realizing it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think Mary is doing a little more than that, unless completely derobing then diving under the covers is what all the kids are doing nowadays prior to fellatio and I'm just really out of touch.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Holy crap, why have I not heard of The Last Halloween until now (spoilers, it's cuz I didn't watch Strip Search at all, I assume). I love it, totally up my alley, really great monster design. Anything else out there like it?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

MockingQuantum posted:

Holy crap, why have I not heard of The Last Halloween until now (spoilers, it's cuz I didn't watch Strip Search at all, I assume). I love it, totally up my alley, really great monster design. Anything else out there like it?

have you read her other comic: https://www.jspowerhour.com/ ?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

have you read her other comic: https://www.jspowerhour.com/ ?

I just started it, yeah. Not quite as appealing to me as The Last Halloween was, but still good.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

MockingQuantum posted:

I enjoy it, though sometimes it's a bit too... internet-y? Flippant? Love the art, though. For other cool/weird creature designs, try Aphelion, Kill Six Billion Demons, and Ectopiary. Not at all similar in tone, and none of them except KSBD update regularly, though.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I was scanning through my subscriptions for the post above, and I came across Hobo Lobo of Hamelin, a beautiful and ambitious project that last updated ~2 years ago and I presume to be dead. I also have fond memories of the extremely flawed Hero: a story - a comic about sexual tension between pretty anime boys that, due to its format, managed to be peaceful and absurdly wordy at the same time.

What failed comics were you all disappointed to see unfinished? Particularly ambitious or experimental ones.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i remember when i was a teen there was something called flatwood i think? there was so much black ink used in the art the protagonist felt like negative space, and it was sort of surreal/dreamlike

and then it stopped updating and then the domain lapsed

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
I think the big one for me is Reman Mythology.

Another was this comic I can't remember the name of, but it was about three bros who get teleported into the middle of some intergalactic hijinks involving ~mythical armor~. There was an arc about gladiator fights in a prison complex. The more I try to describe it, the dumber it sounds, but it was oddly engaging. I think the author got 3/4 through his story before he just stopped updating.

stab stabby fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 1, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Goodbye Chains was a neat historical comic about train robbing, dialectal materialism, homosexuality, and single-minded revenge in the late 1800s American west. Ended up collapsing three years ago due to a creator breakdown.

The real tragedy is, that link goes to a tumblr page now, mostly full of years-old bitching from jilted fans. The original site had an extensive, well researched, and witty page of historical notes, which can now only be party recovered on the Wayback Machine.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hanna Is Not a Boy's Name still makes me bitter. It wasn't super experimental, but I loved the occasionally somewhat art deco style of the whole thing. I will never understand why Stone just dropped off the face of the earth one day.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hanna Is Not a Boy's Name still makes me bitter. It wasn't super experimental, but I loved the occasionally somewhat art deco style of the whole thing. I will never understand why Stone just dropped off the face of the earth one day.

She's apparently done it so often with projects in the past that it's borderline pathological.

Seems to be sticking with her latest comic, but I don't know how much it updates.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Not Drunk Enough updates twice a week with reasonable regularity.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Oxxidation posted:

She's apparently done it so often with projects in the past that it's borderline pathological.

Seems to be sticking with her latest comic, but I don't know how much it updates.

I don't know how many is too many but iirc, she's discarded two or maybe three longform webcomics? Plus a few projects that she only posted on her devianart. I don't think there's anything deeper there, tho, than her getting bored with the project. She seems to derive most of her fun from bouncing characters off one another, like most of HinaBN, so when that gets repetitive I guess there's not much reason to go on

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Just learned about a comic called Zana, about an alternate future world where South African apartheid never ended and now white 'royals' run all of africa, mixed-race 'urbans' presumably live in cities, and dark 'tribals' live in what amount to rural ghettos. And the Royals are...unpleasant, in the two pages they've appeared. I'm reminded of Belgian Congo.
Only a few pages so far, and the art's really nice.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The art is the only thing good about that comic.

Your explanation is good but I'd add in that the girl I assume is the main character is a half black/white girl, an edgy 16 year old who's introduced as thinking ancestry and religion and rituals are like, totally bunk man. The white royalty encourage villages to periodically do a literal purge cleansing of old people and people who think differently terrorists as a means of population control. I checked the creators tab and was entirely unsurprised to see a person who's so pale I think she might be a vampire, who apparently got the inspiration from how she used to be a journalist/humor columnist in South Africa before she went to college.

I feel like there's a reason most sci-fi stories throw their thinly veiled racism analogues behind aliens or fantasy races or whatever.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
http://picturesforsadchildren.com/

huh.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Remind me what his malfunction was? PFSC was really good.

• Locked thread