Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Whoops, had a typo in one of the uranium processing recipes (consume 4 material to produce 8! value!). Also took the opportunity to tweak the reactor to make fuel consumption increase linearly with power output - that is to say, at no load the reactor craft bar doesn't progress, and at 100% load it completes in the listed time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ratzap posted:

I'm happy to take care if the pipe spaghetti if it's not something you enjoy. I held off because I thought you wanted to do it and didn't want to muck up your layout plans (if you had any) for that area. Too many cooks makes for a bad MP experience. Iron and Copper are the only 2 metals we really need high throughput on so 5 furnaces to 8 forges for each will be fine. I need to work out the ratio for the others because they all have different times (like bronze is 1.5s per bar instead of 0.2 for iron). If you want to do the layout, let me know if you want the piping done. I'll stay out of the way unless you want a hand.

...no, you're more than welcome to take care of all of the parts of the factory that I'm not a huge fan of setting up, go hog loving wild man. We've run out or are running out of a bunch of secondary plate types and I'm looking at the plumbing zone south of the Furnace/Forge installations for copper with despair.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I launched a rocket.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
What is the endgame for these massive setups people keep posting? Trains and stuff seem cool but I'm not really sure what people are using all those resources for.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

little munchkin posted:

I launched a rocket.

little munchkin posted:

What is the endgame for these massive setups people keep posting? Trains and stuff seem cool but I'm not really sure what people are using all those resources for.
Launching more rockets. Trying to launch a rocket per minute, maybe. Just keep expanding in every direction forever if it makes you happy, maybe. Whatever makes you happy.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

little munchkin posted:

little munchkin posted:

I made the variable that keeps track of how many rockets I've launched overflow and roll over to -2,147,483,648.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

little munchkin posted:

You know how the numbers in the game go up? What if they went up faster?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Launching more rockets. Trying to launch a rocket per minute, maybe. Just keep expanding in every direction forever if it makes you happy, maybe. Whatever makes you happy.
Minor quibble: You are likely to be happier if you expand in a single direction.

The reason is that the resource algorithm 1) gives you larger stockpiles the further away from the start you are, and 2) guarantees a particular resource will spawn if you just keep walking, with the longer it takes to spawn yielding a wider patch.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 28, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Gotlag: I noticed some odd behaviour from the reactor today. I used a Yuoki device without checking the power requirements first - it prompted drew 100MW and put my network well into the red zone. While this happened the power output from the reactor dropped from 24.9MW to 19.6MW. Soon as the machine finished and draw returned to normal it shot straight back up to24.9MW.

That little episode persuaded me to expand my setup a bit and I found another bug while stamping out my blueprint. The wire from the central pole to the reactor control panel didn't get copied.

How's the ammo plan coming on? I have 54,000 DU sitting there now.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I think I know what the first problem was. The reactor draws power and so do it's pumps. The over draw will have affected them as well and caused it to produce less. I'll move things around so they sit in a separate electric network and power it independently of the juice they are producing.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Current thoughts:
DU magazine, does the same damage as piercing ammo, plus some extra damage of a type all biters are susceptible to
DU cannon shell, higher velocity and longer range than AP cannon shells with enough damage to one-shot a big worm, but costs more explosives (and DU) to craft, with smaller stack size

I'm also thinking of reworking the fuel processing chain to allow some kind of early, inefficient plutonium-yielding reprocessing and providing a way to craft artifacts using plutonium, providing another option for using plutonium and perhaps a reason to run breeders purely for their plutonium yield

GotLag fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 28, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Honestly just having the ability to poorly bury radioactive material in front of your walls to act as an always on poison capsule would be pretty neat. Make nuclear fallout operate in your favour!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Tanks use DU armor these days, make an upgraded tank for your mod

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Another day, another patch - 0.14.10. Quoted for your reading ease (and not to get yelled at again).

FactorioBot posted:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I'm wondering what reason is behind not getting back wire once you deconstruct attached poles and machines.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's free when placed automatically, so I figure between the tens of thousands of wires I've gotten for free, the few hundred I've needed to provide myself even out in the end.

Even circuit wire is free, when used in blueprints!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, red/green wire not being returned is probably an artifact of wire between electric poles.

Fortunately if you set up a blueprint with all the wires attached that gets replicated for free. :shrug:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I updated the server to 0.14.10 and it won't restart. I posted and very soon thereafter more people chimed in so I expect there will be a 0.14.11 real soon. It's a classic 'DOH!' one too, guy says he gets this in his logs

code:
start-server can't be used together with start-server
So they fixed the bug with scenario starts but hosed everybody not using scenarios.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I downloaded Bob's the other day, got up to automating blue science, and it was way too much to deal with. Is there some other mod that is similar to Bob's but slimmed down? Like one or two new ores, some new research and weapons, maybe reworking some vanilla recipes.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I wish my rockets could be used as ICBMs against Biter bases - I would feel more motivated to start launching some.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The game needs to add some sort of artillery / area of denial weaponry to prevent loving biters from spawning nests in areas you've conquered.

Nothing quite like spending two hours wiping out a tonne of biter nests, only to have them right back where they were a few hours later.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

The game needs to add some sort of artillery / area of denial weaponry to prevent loving biters from spawning nests in areas you've conquered.

Nothing quite like spending two hours wiping out a tonne of biter nests, only to have them right back where they were a few hours later.

That's why peaceful is handy. Biters in their current form are not fun, not challenging or adding much to the game. They're just bloody tedious make work.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ratzap posted:

That's why peaceful is handy. Biters in their current form are not fun, not challenging or adding much to the game. They're just bloody tedious make work.

What's the name of that murderbot mod this thread was talking about

I'm gonna grab it because I'm tired of clearing out biter bases.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Robot Army.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The new biter migration aggression is actually saving me work because its like an artifact delivery system.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The mod is rather poo poo if I'm being brutally honest. So many god drat times I'll unleash 100 robots out into the world, and they'll go and wipe out 4 or 5 biter nests. Then I'll check back on them and they'll be dead still in the middle of nowhere, doing nothing. They also have a really annoying habit of disbanding into smaller squads.

I had an automated factory set up but I scrapped it cause they're pretty bad at the job they're meant to do. Even with really dense biter nest areas, they seemingly stop after wiping out 4 nests or so.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've definitely not had that problem. Mine will almost always keep going until they all get wiped out. A few times they've been caught in tricky situations around water and I have to rescue them, or if they somehow end up nowhere near any biters they might just stop. The only "setting" I did was change the default squad size from 10 to 20 using the settings module item.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I guess I'll have to tinker with it and sort it out. Or maybe it's because my little metallic dudes were near large bodies of water.

It's rather frustrating when they hit heavily-forested areas. A lot of them end up straggling behind the main body and they form their own squads that'll just sit there doing nothing because the trees are too dense for them to follow along with the main force.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've followed them while they go through trees, and mine have zapped trees if they needed to get through.

I think it's just using the same path finding and unit grouping mechanics that biters use as well, do biters seem to have trouble on your map?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

I've followed them while they go through trees, and mine have zapped trees if they needed to get through.

I think it's just using the same path finding and unit grouping mechanics that biters use as well, do biters seem to have trouble on your map?

Biters manage just fine and will obliterate anything in their path. For some reason, my robots always have the same issue: the vanguard will zap most trees in their path and continue on, but the rear of the column will sort of mill about and slowly become distanced from the main bulk of the army. Once the main army continues forward far enough, the stragglers behind will form their own squad and just stay put instead of carrying on to the biter nest. Then I end up with two forces, one that is actively attacking biter nests and one that is stuck near a forest. Rinse and repeat. The force that managed to move onwards will hit another patch of thick forest and separate into two groups ad infinitum. It gets to the point where my original army of 100 results in lots of little squads that are just stationary, as the robots that managed to break through and fight more biter nests gets wiped out completely.

Maybe I actually need to use the droid settings or whatever to make the squad size / return size allow the robots to regroup and head out again? It's gotten to the point where I've stopped using robots and instead use the (in my opinion) cheesy way of just spamming turrets with my longreach + autofill mods to wipe out biter nests. But I can't go to every nest myself, it's way too tedious and there are far too many nests for me to enjoyably handle myself without becoming bored and giving up. I also hate repairing and picking back up the turrets once I've placed them.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 29, 2016

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Loopoo posted:

Biters manage just fine and will obliterate anything in their path. For some reason, my robots always have the same issue: the vanguard will zap most trees in their path and continue on, but the rear of the column will sort of mill about and slowly become distanced from the main bulk of the army. Once the main army continues forward far enough, the stragglers behind will form their own squad and just stay put instead of carrying on to the biter nest. Then I end up with two forces, one that is actively attacking biter nests and one that is stuck near a forest. Rinse and repeat. The force that managed to move onwards will hit another patch of thick forest and separate into two groups ad infinitum. It gets to the point where my original army of 100 results in lots of little squads that are just stationary, as the robots that managed to break through and fight more biter nests gets wiped out completely.

Maybe I actually need to use the droid settings or whatever to make the squad size / return size allow the robots to regroup and head out again? It's gotten to the point where I've stopped using robots and instead use the (in my opinion) cheesy way of just spamming turrets with my longreach + autofill mods to wipe out biter nests. But I can't go to every nest myself, it's way too tedious and there are far too many nests for me to enjoyably handle myself without becoming bored and giving up. I also hate repairing and picking back up the turrets once I've placed them.

Put out a few flame bots. They'll torch forests for you and help with pathfinding.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I know it's nothing compared to all the megabuilds I see in here but there was something satisfying about getting this to work nicely.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I remember when my ore lines were that small :allears:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I tried playing a public server for the first time:

Apparently hardmode to creator of this server means size limited map with one tiny patch of copper, two iron patches and loads of stone.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

SinineSiil posted:

Apparently hardmode to creator of this server means size limited map with one tiny patch of copper, two iron patches and loads of stone.

That's a common problem with online play for just about any game. For a lot of people "challenge" or "hard mode" means punching yourself in the balls (metaphorically speaking) for hours on end because they crippled an aspect of the game. That said there are a lot of public servers. Find one like that, tell them to have fun with the masochism and go log into the next till you find one that looks reasonable.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ratzap posted:

How's the ammo plan coming on? I have 54,000 DU sitting there now.

I think I've hit upon a better idea, which involves a complete rebalance of fuel recipes. Instead of plutonium being a breeder product, breeder and fission reactors now both produce only spent fuel:

Uranium enrichment: 8 uranium -> 1 fuel + 7 DU
Fission cycle: 1 uranium -> 1 spent fuel
Breeder cycle: 1 uranium + 3 DU -> 4 spent fuel
Reprocessing: 8 spent fuel -> 1 Pu + 6 DU (1 item lost)
MOX: 1 Pu + 3 DU = 4 fuel

What this all means is that (ignoring DU) the fission cycle burns 8 fuel to produce 8 spent fuel, to reprocess to 1 plutonium, which yields 4 enriched fuel. To produce that same 4 enriched fuel, a breeder cycle needs only 2 enriched fuel input.

I'm also dramatically shortening fuel burn times, possibly to as low as 10 seconds at full power. This is because I want plutonium and DU to be useful products in other ways - DU for ammo, plutonium to produce alien artifacts (or purple science directly), and it's been suggested I add RTGs as an alternative to solar panels in the satellite recipe, or even nuclear rocket engines to save on rocket fuel crafting. The faster burn time makes it easier to adjust balance given the abundance of uranium ore. I've never had good results from playing with ore abundance, and Factorio seems to really poorly handle scarce ores from my experience with Crafted Artifacts.

The upshot of all these changes is that instead of fission being abandoned as soon as you unlock breeder, they both have a place. If you just want plutonium then go hog wild with breeders (and cooling towers to make sure they're at max throttle for quick production), but if you want the most energy without your system choking on surplus products then you need a mix of the two.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I'll trial whatever you come up with but for energy so far they seem ok-ish if somewhat low power. 25MW isn't that much and it's not too much of a space saving given the 50 steam engines still needed. For a large megafactory, semi automated solar + battery fields will get the 100s of MW easily (if a lot more expensive in terms of resource but then, that's pretty much infinite anyway). 25MW isn't really a huge amount, by the time you start making blue science you're generally using 20 to 40 somewhere. The Yuoki stuff in the save I'm using the reactors in have several buildings that run 100+MW each. My large stock factory produces 280MW of solar and stores 12GJ.

The fuel creation process isn't too onerous and it does seem to be very frugal on usage yeah. But making a serious amount of power with it is going to take a lot of space and shoreline. It wouldn't fit in a factorissimo power block anyway.

Ah, while I'm at it. The explosive excavations mod - when used on a shoreline or in water, it creates land. It's also a cast iron bitch to mold shorelines.

Ratzap fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 29, 2016

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
On my second game here, built the silo yesterday for the first time, hopefully on my way to a launch. I've got a question regarding new alien nests.

In an effort to curb the establishment of alien settlements near my home I've enacted Project Donald, building a huge wall that closes off a big, currently nest-free area around my main factory. But is that actually still a thing? Do the bugs need to send units to build new nests, or was this all a fool's errand and nests will spring out of the earth in unoccupied chunks?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
They still send parties out to found nests, they don't pop out of the ground. What has changed is how closely to you they'll setup those bases. As long as your wall is tall and strong, you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SinineSiil posted:

To me, hard mode is including exactly enough minerals so that if you mine everything manually with no tools, build one research center and the minimum oil infrastructure, you'll have exactly enough to launch a rocket.