Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

All of the enemies in the final dungeon are level 94-95 so even though I'm 93 through tome spam not even Etoma can save me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

All of the enemies in the final dungeon are level 94-95 so even though I'm 93 through tome spam not even Etoma can save me

There's an App that makes it work on things 8 levels over you if you have a couple of spare AP.

Edit: Holy poo poo I just looked it up and it costs 300 AP? Nevermind, that's insane.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 28, 2016

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

My game just crashed during the Mara fight sidequest and I lost like an hour and a half of progress. I got off lucky considering how often I've been saving, remember to do so occasionally folks :smith:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just finished the party after the Yamato Reactoer. :whitewater:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just finished the party after the Yamato Reactoer. :whitewater:
yeah that was uh surprisingly horrifying even though I saw most of it coming

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

does your gun/bullets affect your damage for gun skills, or just when you shoot normally?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Pretty sure it's only when you shoot, but they can give a Dex bonus, which does affect your gun skills.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Whoever thought up this final dungeon should go to hell. I've been at this for 3 hours straight and I'm maybe halfway through. Edit: also there are loving STAT GATES :wtf:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 28, 2016

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is the 500k ring that increases the damage of phys skills worth it?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm doing shitload of damage with mist rush if all the hits proc with it. Charge+critical eye and either mist rush or dark sword has destroyed any boss that doesn't resist phys.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm loving dying laughing at the final boss. Everyone gives there own viewpoints to the big bad and your options are

Let's defeat YHVH

Let's show him humanity's power!

What do you think, Satan?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Should I finish SMT4 before starting this one? I'm probably like in the last 25% of the game but I completely forgot everything. Actually I may have finished it and have simply forgotten, so if there's a recap in SMT4:A then that's probably enough.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Should I finish SMT4 before starting this one? I'm probably like in the last 25% of the game but I completely forgot everything. Actually I may have finished it and have simply forgotten, so if there's a recap in SMT4:A then that's probably enough.

I honestly wouldn't recommend it, the hunter notes would help if you read them alot but I feel like alot of the little stuff in the game would be meaningless without past context.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm loving dying laughing at the final boss. Everyone gives there own viewpoints to the big bad and your options are

Let's defeat YHVH

Let's show him humanity's power!

What do you think, Satan?

Guess which one I went with? :v:

Finally done. Aside from that shitbag of a final dungeon, the game was pretty great.

I went with the humanity path, which seemed to me like the best option and where the game wants you to go. It's hard to choose otherwise - I felt gross trying to check out the Godslayer path and reloaded my save. I'm sure there's interesting outcomes for going Law, Chaos, DP, and Dagda, but it's not really worth it. I'll just watch them on youtube.

Maybe I missed it, but the Axiom stuff was pretty vaguely alluded to and I don't really get what it is. Did it ever get a lore entry or anything? It'd be cool if Stephen and the Tokyo Goddess were part of a multidimensional cabal intended to keep humanity going.

I do like the idea of gods and demons being products of humanity too, cause in reality they kinda are. Wish I could see what life was like afterwards, since it looks like demons are still around after the final battle.

Speaking of the final battle holy poo poo that ruled. The entire YHVH sequence was immensely satisfying and pretty hard, too, and the transition to the second phase was like :pwn:. A+ work Atlus.

I have a pet theory that the Etrian Odyssey series takes place after an SMT neutral ending. Maybe this could be the one.

Anyway good game go get it. shame about the final dungeon though

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
So, am I missing something, or are the results of Demon Fusion Lite completely set in stone for each combination? I'm trying to pass on Medusa's unique skill with it, but every battle I try to fuse the skill list is exactly the same. It was the same before with King Frost, but I didn't worry as much because his skill wasn't that great anyways. Seems kind of useless to me if it's not randomized . . . it used to be randomized like fusion in previous games, right?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain France posted:

So, am I missing something, or are the results of Demon Fusion Lite completely set in stone for each combination? I'm trying to pass on Medusa's unique skill with it, but every battle I try to fuse the skill list is exactly the same. It was the same before with King Frost, but I didn't worry as much because his skill wasn't that great anyways. Seems kind of useless to me if it's not randomized . . . it used to be randomized like fusion in previous games, right?

Why not just fuse normally? Unique demon skills are usually not inheritable anyway.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Strange Quark posted:

Why not just fuse normally? Unique demon skills are usually not inheritable anyway.

That is, precisely, why you use demon fusion lite. In SMT 4, at least, it WOULD transfer unique demon skills.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I know it's what they were going for but holy moly this last dungeon sure is something, from the music, to the visuals, to the layout in general. Yeesh.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finished the game just now myself. Had to take a couple tries at the final boss I hate to admit :smith:

Overall I think the gameplay was significantly improved from 4 (playing them back to back really helped) but I can't help but feel like the plot really took a hit. General spoilers

It never felt like there was any actual stakes the entire game, if any character died there was a good chance that they'd be revived a hour or so later and nothing too terribly shocking happens because of it. I mean Asahi literally joins you and goes "haha being dead sure did suck glad I'm not a snake food anymore let's go kick butt :D" and just... iunno everything felt way too happy.

In SMT4 I thought the plot was silly and dumb and had holes in it, but getting sent to Blasted Tokyo literally shocked me and I could feel tone they were going for. Characters died and stayed dead and the atmosphere was grim. Characters didn't just brush off the shocking things they saw and it was played straight and it felt like none of that was here and any time tension would build Navarre would slide in and destroy it with a single word.

I would say the only thing that kinda surprised me was just how casually Old Dagda was killed and replaced with Nice Dagda. That was kind of unsettling and I was really hoping that OD would understand and go along with you as there's several points in the game that he seems to show a genuine concern for what you think and a concern for your safety- even when he can revive you whenever.

I wouldn't say it was bad just not what I expected, and while I normally wouldn't mind Navarre as a character he really didn't feel like he fit in with the game.

Speaking of which I probably missed it but why was his ghost a jelly baby? There's literally not another ghost like him in the entire SMT4 games and it's just kinda... weird.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Speaking of which I probably missed it but why was his ghost a jelly baby? There's literally not another ghost like him in the entire SMT4 games and it's just kinda... weird.

Japanese people love Slimer

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The whole POWER OF FRIENDSHIP thing feels really weird to me for a mainline smt game. I guess I'm too used to your buddies turning into assholes that need to be put down. I'm still enjoying the hell out of it though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The 4th section of the last dungeon makes me wanna die.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Marogareh posted:

The whole POWER OF FRIENDSHIP thing feels really weird to me for a mainline smt game. I guess I'm too used to your buddies turning into assholes that need to be put down. I'm still enjoying the hell out of it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVwSZDXr5LU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Marogareh posted:

Well, there's the other route, which has that in spades. It's kind of more like you turning into the rear end in a top hat though. Going all grimdark is still an option.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The 4th section of the last dungeon makes me wanna die.

If it makes you feel better, I had the same experience. It took me hours to get through the dungeon, and by the last Brane (wtf is a brane) I had shut off the sound and started listening to a podcast instead. Jfc.

Everything after it is perfectly good, but the dungeon itself is an order of magnitude longer than it needs to be.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I was wondering about that, people are complaining there's too much friendship but you have some hilariously dickish options to not be friends with everyone like "Tell her to shut up" when she's crying

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

(wtf is a brane)

It's a concept from string theory. It's been forever since I read up on it but IIRC ties in with the idea of there being additional spacetime dimensions beyond the four we're aware of.

Ed: fixed link

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 28, 2016

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I liked the power of friendship stuff in this but I don't want the next mainline series to have as light of a tone.

They should keep the partner stuff though. It would have actually affected me if your friends did the classic smt thing of going their own way and you had to kill them

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 28, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think it's intended to set up a deliberate foil to SMT4 where your otherwise reasonable companions flipped a switch and went cuckoo the instant it was time to decide alignments.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Oh god a teleporter dungeon, and unlike Eridanus I can't even manually mark what goes where. I fully expect this to get worse with every new zone.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

DrManiac posted:

I liked the power of friendship stuff in this but I don't want the next mainline series to have as light of a tone.

They should keep the partner stuff though. It would have actually affected me if your friends did the classic smt thing of going their own way and you had to kill them

Actually (giant spoiler) if you side with Dagda exactly this happens--instead of fighting Dagda the boss is all your friends, who you personally execute individually as they bemoan you taking a different path.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Man, what the heck (last boss) P1 YHVH was deceptively easy if a bit draining on my SP but his second form started the fight giving himself smirk and then crit stringing Flynn's party to dead in a single round, and then spent his next turn blowing up Nanashi and then did an almighty attack that crit for 1200 to the rest of my demons.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Finished the game just now myself. Had to take a couple tries at the final boss I hate to admit :smith:

Overall I think the gameplay was significantly improved from 4 (playing them back to back really helped) but I can't help but feel like the plot really took a hit. General spoilers

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Pureauthor posted:

I think it's intended to set up a deliberate foil to SMT4 where your otherwise reasonable companions flipped a switch and went cuckoo the instant it was time to decide alignments.

I got Neutral in SMTIV because I agreed with Walter on almost everything, right up to the part where he goes "We must unleash all the demons to kill the weaklings because reasons". Sorry bro! Not on board for that one.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Day 43: I still don't understand why Gaston is in my party. Asahi is foster sister, fine. Nozomi and Hal are here because they're spying for Danu and the Ashura Kai, fine. Navarre is here because there are only three people on the planet that can actually see him, fine. Gaston is here because???

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Practical practice for his sneering and condescending attitude.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

TurnipFritter posted:

Day 43: I still don't understand why Gaston is in my party. Asahi is foster sister, fine. Nozomi and Hal are here because they're spying for Danu and the Ashura Kai, fine. Navarre is here because there are only three people on the planet that can actually see him, fine. Gaston is here because???

Because his original crew ditched him and for all his egoistical sneering he's still lonely and doesn't want to be wandering the ruined shithole that is Tokyo alone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Gaston actually likes your team but is too much of a poo poo to admit it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well. Beat the last boss after another attempt. Really good fight but I think his ability to smirk + luster candy on one move is kinda dumb if only because since he goes first, it leads to crit chains where he can decimate your party before you have a chance to react or counter, which I don't really think is good design. But if he doesn't start the fight with it (which he didn't this time around) it's challenging but fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't mind the friendship stuff because a large part of the plot us about humans deciding their own destiny, and humanity's entire thing is how much power it draws from its collective will. Sticking together is part of what makes humanity so much stronger than gods and demons, and you can see this in the various routes and endings to the game. It's why Walter and Johnathan return for the final boss fight, and why they were defeated in the first place - they abandoned the other samurai, assuming Flynn went neutral. It also explains why your party gets totally chumped when you take the Godslayer route - you broke them up.

Personally, I like it a lot, mostly because the previous game was really weird about your companions switching sides - it just didn't seem natural for humans to do that. Also, the game is plenty grimdark and anti-friendship if you steer it in the right direction, which is the entire point of the SMT series as a whole.

Einwand posted:

Oh god a teleporter dungeon, and unlike Eridanus I can't even manually mark what goes where. I fully expect this to get worse with every new zone.

it gets worse

• Locked thread