Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Franklin - Mr. Tricorder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I'm re-watching DS9 on Netflix and am at season 3 already. Nearly forgot how much greater the show got when the Dominion popped up.

Now if I could only enjoy watching 24 as much as this. Struggling to start season 4 of that show :( It started off so well too.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

"These are my awards, Captain. From Starfleet."

edit: what's the name of that doctor who's always like "He's going to be all right (because he lost his left hand)"? That's Doctor from VOY.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 28, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

"I mean it's one banana, Quark, what could it cost? Ten bars?" - Moogie

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
"They made me part of something called... Hero Red Squad."

The resemblances are eerie.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Acer Pilot posted:

Now if I could only enjoy watching 24 as much as this. Struggling to start season 4 of that show :( It started off so well too.

Don't worry, only 2,581 more breaches of CTU security between now and the end of the series.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dirty posted:

Don't worry, only 2,581 more breaches of CTU security between now and the end of the series.

Jack only has fifteen more false accusations of disloyalty to be disavowed under!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Knormal posted:

I say commander, then rename the current commander sub-commander. Then make ensigns centurions and give them giant helmets and everything gets awesome.

What happens if a sub commander is the commander of a sub

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Acer Pilot posted:

I'm re-watching DS9 on Netflix and am at season 3 already. Nearly forgot how much greater the show got when the Dominion popped up.

Season 4 is...rough. Some like it, I'm not a fan. But Season 5 is widely considered to be the best of the series, so you can either look forward to that or just skip to it entirely (the nice thing about 24 is that each season more or less stands by itself).

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I just finished watching TOS on Netflix, I've never seen any of it before and its some pretty rad stuff. I liked that most of the early episodes ended with Kirk and McCoy throwing shade at Spock and everyone enjoying a good chuckle around the bridge, sitcom style. It was cool to watch a fun and goofy sci-fi show instead of modern melodrama style and this was definitely goofy as hell sometimes.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

WickedHate posted:

I wonder what it'd be like being a Star Trek fan in the 90s, when the franchise was at it's peak.
It was pretty great.

Even better, my parents had one of those old-style, 6' satellite dishes. I was able to watch any Star Trek episode during the syndicate feed which I believe was Saturday or Sunday and the local affiliate would air the following week.

Had some cool tv parties centered around watching taped versions of All Good Things and the DS9/Voyager premieres.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

WickedHate posted:

I wonder what it'd be like being a Star Trek fan in the 90s, when the franchise was at it's peak.

In my neck of dorkdom, we'd all watch the episodes at home with our families on Friday night and then get together at the comic book store on Saturday and discuss the episode while cracking fresh packs of Magic: The Gathering Unlimited and Revised editions.

Oh we also played this fun as hell pinball game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXzvQDeO2V8

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

WickedHate posted:

It was cool. You could watch Star Trek on TV and there were Star Trek toys in stores! You could get tapes of it on VHS! There were Next Gen and DS9 games on Sega Genesis! And the franchise wasn't dead!

These days I know relatively few people who like Star Trek, and that really kinda bums me out. I loved the hell out of Star Trek Beyond, but maybe it was too little, too late. RIP Star Trek.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I watched TNG, DS9, and VOY as their aired with my mom. Sometimes with my dad, but usually just with my mom. She got really mad when DS9 ended because she wanted more and to know what happened to all the characters. I think she still holds out for some sort of DS9 movie.

My friend last night was saying that Voyager is maybe the best trek, or at least his favourite, it's a closs toss up with TNG. I was saying I was giving enterprise a chance and the best thing I can say about it is that it's at least not as bad as Voyager. I don't know why people like Voyager, it's really loving bad. It's not like subjective matter of opinion bad, it's writing is objectively stupid and bad and the show is wildly inconsistent and clearly gives no fucks about anything.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
The Star Wars thread seems to consist mostly of people who actually believe the Prequel trilogy are *good movies* :psyduck:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I watched TNG, DS9, and VOY as their aired with my mom. Sometimes with my dad, but usually just with my mom. She got really mad when DS9 ended because she wanted more and to know what happened to all the characters. I think she still holds out for some sort of DS9 movie.

My friend last night was saying that Voyager is maybe the best trek, or at least his favourite, it's a closs toss up with TNG. I was saying I was giving enterprise a chance and the best thing I can say about it is that it's at least not as bad as Voyager. I don't know why people like Voyager, it's really loving bad. It's not like subjective matter of opinion bad, it's writing is objectively stupid and bad and the show is wildly inconsistent and clearly gives no fucks about anything.

I sometimes think about reading those DS9 season 8 books but they sound like they have a crappy Mary Sue self-insert character taking over and I don't really like the idea of that

That said, DS9 ends with a lot of interesting angles and status quo changes that could have eventually led into interesting storylines but are sadly never continued. Voyager certainly didn't want anything to do with that.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Apollodorus posted:

The Star Wars thread seems to consist mostly of people who actually believe the Prequel trilogy are *good movies* :psyduck:

I like the third one. It's not good, but I enjoy it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So is this what it was like for the TOS people right before TNG came out? "I was there for the good Star Trek, man."

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Apollodorus posted:

to be fair, if you've seen actually horrible movies, the prequel trilogy isn't bad at all. They had to be successful for a reason, and not just because "Star Wars" was in the title, since the clone wars cartoon movie was a miserable flop in theaters despite having the same fanbase.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Don't go into CineD ever. EVER.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I like the third one. It's not good, but I enjoy it.

I mean people legit believe the prequels are both a) just as good as the originals, and b) give the originals a level of depth they previously lacked and which enriches the overall experience.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Don't go into CineD ever. EVER.

This should honestly be in the SA Forums General Rules. Think of one movie you really enjoy and one movie you absolutely despise and then imagine that each of your choices probably has a CineD thread full of people waiting to tell you how wrong your opinion is. And in order to prove their point, they'll each write a 5 paragraph essay that draws almost entirely from their freshman screenwriting course and that one time they thumbed through Hero with a Thousand Faces.

It's an entire forum full of broken people.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I, too, get very upset when people like movies I don't.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This should honestly be in the SA Forums General Rules. Think of one movie you really enjoy and one movie you absolutely despise and then imagine that each of your choices probably has a CineD thread full of people waiting to tell you how wrong your opinion is. And in order to prove their point, they'll each write a 5 paragraph essay that draws almost entirely from their freshman screenwriting course and that one time they thumbed through Hero with a Thousand Faces.

It's an entire forum full of broken people.

It's basically a forum filled with really, really pretentious contrarians who think they're geniuses because they like movies that are typically considered to be bad by the unwashed masses, i.e. everyone in the entire world outside of CineD.

Here is a 10 paragraph essay full of bullshit on why you are an idiot mouth-breathing troglodyte if you don't like Michael Bay's Transformers movies or see them as artistic masterpieces!

It was great when the guys on Red Letter Media who are filmmakers who went to film school, understand film theory and make actual films specifically called out CineD poster MisterBibs and told he that he's really stupid.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's basically a forum filled with really, really pretentious contrarians who think they're geniuses because they like movies that are typically considered to be bad by the unwashed masses, i.e. everyone in the entire world outside of CineD.

Here is a 10 paragraph essay full of bullshit on why you are an idiot mouth-breathing troglodyte if you don't like Michael Bay's Transformers movies or see them as artistic masterpieces!

It was great when the guys on Red Letter Media who are filmmakers who went to film school, understand film theory and make actual films specifically called out CineD poster MisterBibs and told he that he's really stupid.

Is this in one of their videos?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I thought it was just high-effort trolling :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tunicate posted:

I thought it was just high-effort trolling :shrug:

If it's trolling, then SuperMechaGodzilla is a God-King.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

First things first: the narrative structure of the Star Wars film series is ever-shifting. As each film is introduced, the meaning changes.

Three extremely different films were grouped together and are now understood as 'The OT', the story of how Luke Skywalker killed the evil robot Darth Vader and saved his father - Anakin. This killing of the robot ultimately represented the triumph of liberal democracy over the various failed utopian projects of the past. In general, the OT can be summarized as naïvely optimistic.

Subsequently, three films were introduced that called out the OT for its naïveté. The human Anakin, it reveals, was a fascist stooge. The bad robot monster that everyone had rejected was none other than Christ Himself. We were fooled: liberal democracy was the enemy. It was all a sham. We killed Him for plastic toys, and His blood is on our hands. With the addition of these three films, the context of the originals had changed. The entire six-film series became the tale of Darth Vader's crucifixion. It can be summarized as brutally honest.

And now we have a seventh film.

The Force Awakens is a story of willful ignorance and self-deceit.

Who are the Republic? Who are the Resistance? Who are the First Order? People are confused because they are not reading the imagery.

The basic story is simple: it is the story of a USB key that travels across the galaxy and gradually morphs into a laser sword. Max Van Sydow is the personification of this object; it respresents his legacy. And he explains exactly what he stands for: "only the Jedi can bring balance to the force." He supports Leia's Resistance because 'she's royalty to him.' The Resistance heroes are all working to bring back feudalism, and the New Order is working to prevent that.

If you've read the previous thread and seen the previous films, you know that nobody ever mentions a 'light side', because there isnt one. The entire Force - the entire universe - is darkness, and to believe otherwise is to have your vision clouded. The light side exists only as the holy spirit - the community of believers in Christ/Vader. Vader was the incarnation of the Force and, when he died, the Force died with him.

Force Awakens, on the other hand, is constantly talking about the light side, and visualizing it as literal light: the ships all have massive headlights attached, the recurring image is of a dark ball of tentacles being obliterated by a burst of light (e.g. When that thing is attached to the windshield). The light cleanses, and the light purifies. this is what Van Sydow means by 'balance'.

But this literal light is not the Holy Spirit. It's the dark side, rebranded. It's sheer, burning power. Audiences cheer when Rey displays her insane power. Her mutant powers, aka 'force sensitivity', aka midichlorians - make her stronger than anyone else. Her mind-tricks are not subtle manipulations, but a direct reprogramming of the enemy's mind. She wins by being darker than Kylo.

So: why would a family abandon their child in a junkyard?

The simplest answer is that they're terrified of her.

Basically, JJ Abrams has tricked you into worshiping the dark side. Maz runs a temple devoted to herself, and nobody is suspicious? Whoops!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Is this in one of their videos?

It actually is, but I forget which one and can't give you a timestamp. I'm sure someone in one of the RLM threads could. I think it was on a livestream where they were answering questions.

I think MisterBibs wrote in and said if you like Hockey, then you're a racist or something equally stupid.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If it's trolling, then SuperMechaGodzilla is a God-King.

SMG is pretty funny, trolling or not.

I wanna say that he claimed to work at a strip club at some point.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I can't believe people like things popularly thought by nerds to be bad. I will complain about this in the Star Trek thread.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I mean, for people who are now in their late 20s and early 30s, VOY is just "the one that was on TV when I was an older kid/teen." I'm 28, which means TNG was on the air from ages 0-7, DS9 was ages 6-12, and VOY was ages 8-14. Of course the other shows were also in syndication during those times, so it was possible to watch all of them, but as far as I was concerned, VOY was the new shiny Trek show, and I watched it because I loved Star Trek and was a dumb kid without super-discerning tastes. I liked the Doctor, I liked seeing new weird aliens, as a little girl I liked that there was an angry Klingon woman and a bossy lady captain AND a weird sexy lady cyborg. I don't remember ever thinking "wow this show is terrible but I'll still watch it," like I did with the last few seasons of the X-Files. I just watched it and liked it, like every other Trek show. (And then I never watched ENT because, well, c'mon.)

Someday I'll revisit VOY, and I'm sure I'll see all kinds of glaring problems with it when I do, but for most people who are not giant nerds like me who rewatch decades-old SF shows, VOY is just "oh, yeah, that was the one with the sexy cyborg and the holo-doctor right? I remember that. Good times."

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 28, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Even the CineD Star Trek thread is immediately ruined because some goon is pushing his insane "trek cycle" theory. Even movies are good, odd movies are bad. Don't make things complicated.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

showbiz_liz posted:

I mean, for people who are now in their late 20s and early 30s, VOY is just "the one that was on TV when I was an older kid/teen." I'm 28, which means TNG was on the air from ages 0-7, DS9 was ages 6-12, and VOY was ages 8-14. Of course the other shows were also in syndication during those times, so it was possible to watch all of them, but as far as I was concerned, VOY was the new shiny Trek show, and I watched it because I loved Star Trek and was a dumb kid without super-discerning tastes. I liked the Doctor, I liked seeing new weird aliens, as a little girl I liked that there was an angry Klingon woman and a bossy lady captain AND a weird sexy lady cyborg. I don't remember ever thinking "wow this show is terrible but I'll still watch it," like I did with the last few seasons of the X-Files. I just watched it and liked it, like every other Trek show. (And then I never watched ENT because, well, c'mon.)

Someday I'll revisit VOY, and I'm sure I'll see all kinds of glaring problems with it when I do, but for most people who are not giant nerds like me who rewatch decades-old SF shows, VOY is just "oh, yeah, that was the one with the sexy cyborg and the holo-doctor right? I remember that. Good times."

Counterpoint: I'm 32, and VOY has always been real bad.

e: and for all these criticisms of CD, 95% of it is just SMG. If this really upsets you, the Ignore button is right there. Or learn to appreciate one of the few trolls who puts hella effort into his gimmick. Or learn to not be upset about Transformers

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The prequels are better than The Force Awakens, because at least the prequels tried to do something new.

Gammatron 64 posted:

This is pretty low hanging fruit, everyone everywhere thinks MisterBibs is stupid.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Cojawfee posted:

Even movies are good, odd movies are bad. Don't make things complicated.

By this theory, Nemesis is good.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Even the CineD Star Trek thread is immediately ruined because some goon is pushing his insane "trek cycle" theory. Even movies are good, odd movies are bad. Don't make things complicated.

Search for Spock and all the JJTrek movies are good though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Jeez, I don't know why I have to explain this to you nerds EVERY time.

The Motion Picture: Bad
The Wrath of Khan: Good
The Search for Spock: Bad
The Voyage Home: Good
The Final Frontier: Bad
The Undiscovered Country: Good
Generations: Bad
First Contact: Good
Insurrection: Bad
Galaxy Quest: Good
Nemesis: Bad
ST09: Good
Into Darkness: Bad
Beyond: Good

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cojawfee posted:

So is this what it was like for the TOS people right before TNG came out? "I was there for the good Star Trek, man."

There was a lot of negativity towards TNG, which the first season only aggrevated. The late 80s had its own run of lovely remakes/reboots and the original cast had just done a fantastic movie... and were also talking poo poo about the new series (well, Shatner mostly...) From season 2 they tried to push it away from TOS as much as possible, to the point where any kind of continuity was this mind-blowing thing (Sarek, I think was the high point of this). It's almost impossible in today's genre media landscape to imagine how separate the Star Treks were. For instance, DC comics did a storyline that took place half during TOS-era, and half TNG, with Old McCoy and Spock showing up on the Enterprise-D and was literally billed as "a first-time ever crossover." A goddamn tie-in comic.

Then the 25th rolled around, and this happened:

Spock! On TNG! Actual Leonard Nimoy Spock! Parents and children were reunited, long-standing feuds dropped, the world shifted. In other words, The Undiscovered Country, a movie very much focused on bringing the two universes together. It was a big deal that they even tried to go for a half-way point between the two styles of Klingon makeup. And, y'know, Michael Dorn.

Of course, that would lead to Scotty showing up, then the Mirror Universe returning, Generations and enough of a mishmash by Enterprise that it all became... pointless.

But Unification, man. That was important.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cojawfee posted:

The Search for Spock: Bad

Point of order! Search For Spock wasn't considered bad until Final Frontier came along and fans wanted to make a pattern. It's probably the closest any of the movies come to the feel of TOS, thanks in no small part to Christopher Lloyd's 100% Old School Stupid Plan Klingon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It was OK, but I thought it was really weird. It's decent in a comedy fashion because Klingons randomly decided to wrastle a giant centipede.