Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FIRST TIME posted:

Try watching an episode or two from the first season, way back in 1989. It's waaay different than what you see today. It's not perfect but a lot of the officers seem to at least make an attempt to engage with the community and show empathy. A lot of it probably had to do with police on camera being a new thing and trying to put their best foot forward. Then they figured out that viewers just like seeing "bad guys" get what's coming to them. Now pretty much every segment on Cops is just chasing someone down, roughing them up, and throwing them in the back of the squad car.

the very first cops segment ever, the very first one, is a bunch of florida cops in the 80's who hide in a giant cardboard box in the back of an el camino. the idea is that the driver cop will buy some drugs from someone, then beep the horn and the other cops will jump out of the box and arrest the drugs guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

boner confessor posted:

the very first cops segment ever, the very first one, is a bunch of florida cops in the 80's who hide in a giant cardboard box in the back of an el camino. the idea is that the driver cop will buy some drugs from someone, then beep the horn and the other cops will jump out of the box and arrest the drugs guy

So that's where those soldiers in Half Life got the idea from.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

boner confessor posted:

Ha ha, thanks for reminding me about that. So many mullets, novelty t-shirts, and acid wash jeans.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

My mother still has a bunch of pics from when my dad was a cop in the 80s, and after looking at them, she has never had a good answer for me as to why he kept the 80s haircut and ridiculous moustache.

The 80s were one hell of a time.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It begins :unsmigghh:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

"Pauses in Hillary's speech tonight makes it obvious that she's being fed lines. #PresidentialDebate"

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

It's almost like if you talk too much you get interrupted during a debate, and if you dodge the question you get follow up questions.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yes because Hillary was never interrupted. Oh wait no she was interrupted 70 times.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Tarezax posted:

So how many people had Facebook friends do the whole "turd sandwich vs giant douche" thing before the debate last night, only to throw in with Hillary by the end? I got at least one.

All the Hillary supporters came out in the open on mine. It's as if it's okay now. It's safe, you can say, "I'm with her."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Asiina posted:

Yes because Hillary was never interrupted. Oh wait no she was interrupted 70 times.

Doesn't count because both Donald and Lester had something incredibly interesting to say.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
Today, I saw a 'Feel the Bern' bumper sticker with 'Hillary' tacked on over the Bern in a much smaller font.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Wahh why aren't they asking tough questions about made up bullshit we keep bringing up??? :qq:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

DrNutt posted:

Wahh why aren't they asking tough questions about made up bullshit we keep bringing up??? :qq:

Well, there was a question about emails, and Hillary answered it quite well, almost like she had a half-day of practice at answering hostile questions about it...

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Too lazy to screenshot, so here's the opinion of someone I don't know that someone else liked:

Facebook posted:

My advice for Donald Trump at the next debate
When the Moderator asks him the first question, Donald should say, “That’s a great question, but I really want to talk about how Hillary could get away with deleting over 30,000 emails, scrubbing classified markings from many of them, and why did Bill secretly meet with Attorney General Lynch?“
When asked his second question, Donald should say, “That’s a great question, but I really want to talk about what really happened at Benghazi. Come on Hillary, we can talk about it. It’s not like you are under oath or anything.”
When the Moderator loses his composure and starts fussing, Donald should say, “I know I’m a bit off topic tonight, but our last Moderator didn’t want to play by the rules so I made up new rules.”
If Hillary doesn’t have an aneurysm and the press doesn’t shut the debate down. Donald should skip his next question and talk about Syrian refugees, or the Clinton Foundation’s giant money laundering ability, or Pay to Play - 20-minute speeches for a quarter of a million bucks, or her Iraq War Vote, or… you get my drift.
The point to all of this is simple. Anybody getting mad at Trump for staging a debate coup probably wasn’t going to vote for him anyway and those of us who want him to CRUSH Hillary like a bug will think that much more of him.
She had the last debate’s questions early. She cheated. Holt cheated. They all cheat. It is what they do.
Shake things up Donald. What have you got to lose?

Bolding mine.

This is what they think. I live in southern hell and this is what they think.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

KiteAuraan posted:

Well, there was a question about emails, and Hillary answered it quite well, almost like she had a half-day of practice at answering hostile questions about it...

I remember the email line, but I thought that was prompted by Trump, not a question Lester asked. Anecdotal, but my wife's impression of Hillary went up a good bit based on her straightforward "I messed up" answer to that question.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
How is Trump "The best of the best" that Abraham Lincoln's party has to offer?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zephyrine posted:

Well, he's the best at being bigoted, slimy and corrupt while refusing to acknowledge facts, and after the Southern Strategy that's the party's criteria for good.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Zephyrine posted:

The Party of Lincoln hasn't had any meaningful claim to that title in generations, if it ever did at all.

They're basically just American fascists now. American politics make way more sense when you realize that Republicans = white supremacists, misogynists, homophobes, and short-sighted robber barons, while Democrats = a mix of progressives and neoliberal business types fighting over the same soap box.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 28, 2016

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

KiteAuraan posted:

She even brought up Benghazi herself, boasting about kicking the poo poo out of Gowdy and Chaffetz for 11 hours.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Thump! posted:

She even brought up Benghazi herself, boasting about kicking the poo poo out of Gowdy and Chaffetz for 11 hours.

Ok, but did she admit to personally flying out there and killing the Benghazi victims while high-fiving every member of ISIS and handing them a deleted email?
Then obviously no one actually mentioned Benghazi or emails.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Too lazy to screenshot, so here's the opinion of someone I don't know that someone else liked:

Bolding mine.

This is what they think. I live in southern hell and this is what they think.

Oh my God Trump please do this it'll be like two solid hours of Hillary_Wiggle.gif

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
So is Bernie Sanders dead?

I've been getting a peculiar angle from people lately in the style of (to be blunt) "Clinton cheated Bernie. Vote Trump to avenge him"

Is that a thing now? Actual Bernie supporters going to Trump for some sort of revenge? People act like Clinton took Bernies head and since he is no longer alive to make his will heard then we must interpret what his will is. Never mind that he already did pledge support for Clinton.

It's not as blunt as that but rather pro-Bernie sliding into anti-Clinton and then gradually adopting the Trump supporter mantras. Emails, Benghazi, She's ill. And so on.

I like Bernie and would have loved to see him as president. But he was always a "weaker" candidate than Clinton. Clinton has a lot more political power and influence, as well as the support of the sitting Democrat president.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Being the most qualified candidate ever helps too.

If only she wasn't a woman :qq:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DarkHorse posted:

Being the most qualified candidate ever helps too.

If only she wasn't a woman :qq:

She really is too, she is up there with H.W. Bush in the "qualified to hold the office" realm.

As we saw with him, that's hardly a guarantee of success, but man I'd feel better if both candidates had, you know, knowledge of how government works.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

WoodrowSkillson posted:

She really is too, she is up there with H.W. Bush in the "qualified to hold the office" realm.

As we saw with him, that's hardly a guarantee of success, but man I'd feel better if both candidates had, you know, knowledge of how government works.

Which would you prefer, H.W. Bush or Trump?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Now or then? Because back then Trump was a Democrat. And now HW looks so sane in comparison to Trump rubber stamping the GOPs agenda.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
An old friend who never posts on Facebook called me out on Facebook yesterday for my Hillary support, claiming that she is center right at best. He then listed all the crap she's been involved in that I shouldn't like. He also said I'd be kidding myself if I think she's going to make good on any of the progressive policies she claims to support. He didn't offer any alternatives and agreed with me that Jill and the Green Party are terrible options.

Now, the guy has dual citizenship and grew up abroad. I think that colors his perspective. The truth is, America is a conservative nation, despite how our movies and TV shows might make us look. What else does he think is going to happen?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

H. W. went back on a campaign pledge not to raise taxes because it was the right thing to do for the country, and also brought together a coalition to successfully rein in an invader without destabilizing the region further.

He had a lot of bad attributes but there were never any questions about whether he could effectively govern. Trump, on the other hand, is so easily manipulated that he falls for transparent baiting attempts over and over again.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

20 years ago the Republican party also wasn't altogether batshit insane.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

HW signed the ADA into law. I will always appreciate him for that.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

HW pardoned the gently caress out of the whole Reagan Iran contra crew and he ran the first gulf war with dick Cheney. gently caress hw forever.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
America is pretty irredeemable, huh? Think ima just flee to Switzerland, seems like they have their poo poo on lock.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Even Fox was struggling in their post-debate article to paint Trump in a positive light- to the point where they described him in as plain of terms as possible (literally as bland as 'trump said ____', 'Trump responded _____') to appear objective while using all kinds of subtly insulting adjectives for HRC.

That anyone thinks Trump genuinely won the debate is quite perplexing to me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

JVNO posted:

Even Fox was struggling in their post-debate article to paint Trump in a positive light- to the point where they described him in as plain of terms as possible (literally as bland as 'trump said ____', 'Trump responded _____') to appear objective while using all kinds of subtly insulting adjectives for HRC.

That anyone thinks Trump genuinely won the debate is quite perplexing to me.

Hey man, you gotta go down with the captain and the ship. They've gone too far now to back out.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Note that Palin tried the "if I don't like the moderator's questions, I'll just substitute my own" thing against Biden in 2008. How'd that work out for her?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nitrousoxide posted:

HW now, and back then. He was a GOP president who advance GOP politics I do not like or agree with, but never once was anyone concerned he did not know how generals get their jobs or threaten to dissolve NATO.

HW was a WWII vet, an ambassador to the UN, a Representative, a Senator, RNC chairman, Director of the CIA, a company board member, and Vice President for 8 years. If anyone was qualified to be President, on simple ability to do the job, it was him.

I agree, gently caress him and his GOP politics, but no one was scared of him they way they are of Trump. If him, or someone like him, was elected this year, we would all grit our teeth and bear it, and plan to win in 2020, just like the Dems did in 1988. Country would still work, most things would be fine, people would not be tremendously effected, as is mostly the case with presidents.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yes but would General MacArthur be mad that Hillary has an overview on how to fight ISIS on her website? That was one of my favorite arguments

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Ford brought HW in as CIA director because the CIA was basically just doing whatever they wanted and a lot of it was really unethical, leading to a bunch of scandals. For his part, he cleaned up the CIA's act quite a bit in his short tenure.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bast Relief posted:

An old friend who never posts on Facebook called me out on Facebook yesterday for my Hillary support, claiming that she is center right at best. He then listed all the crap she's been involved in that I shouldn't like. He also said I'd be kidding myself if I think she's going to make good on any of the progressive policies she claims to support. He didn't offer any alternatives and agreed with me that Jill and the Green Party are terrible options.

Now, the guy has dual citizenship and grew up abroad. I think that colors his perspective. The truth is, America is a conservative nation, despite how our movies and TV shows might make us look. What else does he think is going to happen?

Which is the other country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

moist turtleneck posted:

Yes but would General MacArthur be mad that Hillary has an overview on how to fight ISIS on her website? That was one of my favorite arguments

MacArthur thought that using nukes in Korea was a good idea so what MacArthur would think is pretty much irrelevant.