Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Woke up today to see that my credit card received a few unauthorized charges.

This is the description of the charges:

OPERATOR - CHARGE 2 AC
OPERATOR - APPLE WATCH
OPERATOR - SUEDE DERBY
OPERATOR
OPERATOR (This was a .50 charge, probably to test my card)

All 5 charges racked up to be a total of $600. I've already contacted my credit card company to take are of the situation but I wanted to know, why did all five charges have 'OPERATOR' in their description?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You want either Format -> Paragraph -> Single Spaced or just highlight the stuff you want fixed and Clear Formatting from the formatting drop-down.

Thank fixed it, thanks Tux.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

Woke up today to see that my credit card received a few unauthorized charges.

This is the description of the charges:

OPERATOR - CHARGE 2 AC
OPERATOR - APPLE WATCH
OPERATOR - SUEDE DERBY
OPERATOR
OPERATOR (This was a .50 charge, probably to test my card)

All 5 charges racked up to be a total of $600. I've already contacted my credit card company to take are of the situation but I wanted to know, why did all five charges have 'OPERATOR' in their description?

Maybe orders placed over the phone?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Anyone have recommendations for making our computer room and bedroom look less bland? The downstairs/kitchen area is great, we have lots of bright furniture, hardwood floors, and enough shelving. We just hastily set up our computers/bedroom and went with some older IKEA stuff we had lying around. We spend a lot of time in the computer room in particular but they're both just kinda bland. I was thinking about making one long desk that runs the entire length of the wall our desks are against now, with an ALEX drawer in the middle and some shelving in the corners/middle. If there's a more appropriate thread to ask this, let me know!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I guess wall stuff like posters or framed prints depending on budget, a rug on the floor might be good, get a BILLY bookcase and put some books and action figures on it. Your imagination, tastes and budget are the important things. Just a few movie posters would go a long way towards breaking the monotony.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
You have to have stuff on your walls, otherwise it looks like a weird grad student's apartment.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If you put posters on the walls, make sure to frame them though.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

If you put posters on the walls, make sure to frame them though.

And follow the "four inches from the ceiling" rule otherwise it'll look weird.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jewel Repetition posted:

Has anyone tried a memory foam pillow, shredded or whole? Was it better than a normal pillow?

Good for support. poo poo comfort compared to regular pillows imo. I like to throw one under a normal pillow sometimes to prop my head up.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Turn those desks 90 degrees each, so they're facing each other and have their short side against the wall. Wife faces the window, you face wife.

Paint one or two walls a color.

Hang something on the walls.

It'll start looking less like a gooncave.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The place I've just moved into has separate hot and cold taps in the bathroom (and I'm renting so replacing them isn't an option). They're also really small and the sink is really big, so you have to reach way back to get to them. What I'd like is some sort of Y-shaped attachment that I could use to combine them into one, and also extend them a bit further out from the wall. Does such a thing exist, and if so, where could I buy it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Is there a name for this particular style of glasses frames? I'd like to look for them, but I want to know what to say when I do.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browline_glasses

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

When I was a small child at school, we sang a song where:

One group sings the first part of the song. Let's call them group A.
Group A sings the second part while a different group of kids sing the first part. Let's call the new group of kids group B.
Group B sings the second part, group A sings the the third part, and a new group C starts singing the first part of the song.
Group A sings the fourth part of the song, while group B sings the third part of the song, group C sings the second part of the song, and a new group of kids starts singing the first part of the song.

And so on. Each group sings the whole song all the way through, they just start when the previous group has finished singing their allotted part.

So! The question: I was told, as a small child, that this type of song is called a "round". But try as I might I cannot find any other references to this type of singing/arrangement as being "a round". Does this type of arrangement have a term?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

When I was a small child at school, we sang a song where:

One group sings the first part of the song. Let's call them group A.
Group A sings the second part while a different group of kids sing the first part. Let's call the new group of kids group B.
Group B sings the second part, group A sings the the third part, and a new group C starts singing the first part of the song.
Group A sings the fourth part of the song, while group B sings the third part of the song, group C sings the second part of the song, and a new group of kids starts singing the first part of the song.

And so on. Each group sings the whole song all the way through, they just start when the previous group has finished singing their allotted part.

So! The question: I was told, as a small child, that this type of song is called a "round". But try as I might I cannot find any other references to this type of singing/arrangement as being "a round". Does this type of arrangement have a term?

Canon

edit: it can also be called a "round", but "canon" is the music theorist term for it.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_(music)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Right, gotcha - the term actually is actually a round. So whatever it was I was searching with I wasn't getting the right results.

Tried again just now, and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZdkGEVqLXs

Incredible dexterity that she's able to point to the caterpillar with her right leg while it's crawling up the same leg.

ihopeirememberthis
Sep 8, 2011
Hi guys, hope you're all having a good day. Which music streaming service should I subscribe to?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ihopeirememberthis posted:

Hi guys, hope you're all having a good day. Which music streaming service should I subscribe to?

Apple Music if you have an iPhone/Mac spotify if you don't. Do you need a music streaming service at all, though?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

If you subscribe to Google Play Music you get a free YouTube Red subscription, can upload your own music (up to 50,000 songs that then become available on any of your devices) and get a 10% discount off everything in the Google Play store. It's also a lot better than the competitor services if you're into metal.

A YouTube Red sub means that you can download videos to watch later on your phone or tablet; I load my phone up with videos for the train commute home on the work wifi, so I'm not using my data plan to watch stuff. You also get no ads ever on YouTube if you're logged in, any device/computer.

These things may or may not be useful to you at all, but they're all the things I've found handy.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I use google play and am really happy with it but I havent used any other services. One nice bonus is that you can minimize the youtube app on your phone and have stuff play in the background. Its stupid that you have to pay to get this feature, but whatever.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
I'm going to try explain this as best as I can so forgive me if this ends up way longer than needed to answer. I have my laptop connected to the internet with an ethernet cable as wireless isn't an option. Is there any way to use this connection to allow my android phone to connect to the internet? My laptop has a bluetooth adapter and I can pair the devices as you can see here but nothing happens when I press that Connect button. If I have to buy some peripherals what kind of price are we talking?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Does your laptop have a wifi card?

Internet Connection Sharing

Your laptop wifi acts as an Access Point for the phone

ihopeirememberthis
Sep 8, 2011

tuyop posted:

Apple Music if you have an iPhone/Mac spotify if you don't. Do you need a music streaming service at all, though?

A bunch of people I know use spotify and are happy with it, so I might just get that. Currently I just use YouTube for music, but it's a bit frustrating to use, as is torrenting. So yeah I'd kind of like an easier way to listen to loads of music.

I'll look into Google Play as well and see which interface I like best.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you are a student Spotify is only $5/mo as well.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Memento posted:

and get a 10% discount off everything in the Google Play store.

Wait, what? I've never noticed this applying to me, and I've been using Google Play Music since it came out.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

hooah posted:

Wait, what? I've never noticed this applying to me, and I've been using Google Play Music since it came out.

Maybe it was a limited time thing, I don't see it now. It was definitely around for a while though.

http://ausdroid.net/2015/10/14/google-play-music-all-access-subscribers-being-offered-10-off-app-game-music-and-movie-purchases/

I don't buy things all that often so maybe it expired and I didn't notice :shrug:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

A bunch of people I know use spotify and are happy with it, so I might just get that. Currently I just use YouTube for music, but it's a bit frustrating to use, as is torrenting. So yeah I'd kind of like an easier way to listen to loads of music.

I'll look into Google Play as well and see which interface I like best.

I like Spotify. I've found its selected playlists are much better than those on Apple Music (from comparison to my sister's listening options) if you're after the 'select a genre and discover new stuff' kind of thing. The Discover Weekly playlist is almost eerily well matched to my tastes but Apple and Google are probably just as good if not better at that.

Also if you have friends or family share it with the Family subscription is ludicrously good value once all 6 slots are used.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The mobile version of Firefox (on my android anyway) keeps playing youtube vids even when not in focus.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

NonzeroCircle posted:

The mobile version of Firefox (on my android anyway) keeps playing youtube vids even when not in focus.

Interesting. In my experience, using the YouTube app specifically does not. Turn off the screen or switch windows - sound stops.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

It is a feature of YouTube Red, which comes along with a Google Music subscription. It's pretty nice to have but lovely of them to do imo. It also comes with exclusive content from popular YouTube people but most of it seems like garbage. Surely there are third party apps that can play YouTube videos in the background though (other than browsers like he mentioned).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm sure this varies between municipalities, but perhaps as a general rule in the US, is some random person's dash cam footage usable by police as evidence for prosecution, be it from traffic violations to serious accidents to whatever else? Or does it generally have to be directly witnessed by officers (or their cameras)?

I ask because I had a real close shave with a guy running their red light in front of me, and wondered whether it would have been worth my time to report it if I'd had my dash cam yet, seeing as no one was hurt.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ciaphas posted:

I'm sure this varies between municipalities, but perhaps as a general rule in the US, is some random person's dash cam footage usable by police as evidence for prosecution, be it from traffic violations to serious accidents to whatever else? Or does it generally have to be directly witnessed by officers (or their cameras)?

I ask because I had a real close shave with a guy running their red light in front of me, and wondered whether it would have been worth my time to report it if I'd had my dash cam yet, seeing as no one was hurt.

Attempting to report on some dude who ran a red light and didn't cause an accident is just going to annoy the local cops.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If your dash cam caught the light cycle and the guy blowing through the light, you might get some action from your local DA's office. The cops don't give a poo poo though.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
After the Civil War and Reconstruction, the Southern US states found ways to skirt the ban on slavery by exploiting the convict loophole in the 13th amendment: "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." During the Jim Crow era, Southern states criminalized many petty offenses, such as unpaid debts, spitting, or walking alongside a railroad track. The convicts could then be rented out to businessmen to use as slave labor for the duration of their sentence. Something like 90% of all arrests in that era were of black men, and arrests peaked around harvest time.

In 1941, FDR passed Circular 3591, which ordered federal prosecutors to aggressively pursue all cases of involuntary servitude in the South. A historian called this "the effective end of slavery in the South".

When the federal government banned chattel slavery after the Civil War, it turned the Southern economy upside down. So what was the effect of Circular 3591 on the South's economy? My impression is that peonage and convict leasing was very big in the South.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Kurzon posted:

After the Civil War and Reconstruction, the Southern US states found ways to skirt the ban on slavery by exploiting the convict loophole in the 13th amendment: "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." During the Jim Crow era, Southern states criminalized many petty offenses, such as unpaid debts, spitting, or walking alongside a railroad track. The convicts could then be rented out to businessmen to use as slave labor for the duration of their sentence. Something like 90% of all arrests in that era were of black men, and arrests peaked around harvest time.

In 1941, FDR passed Circular 3591, which ordered federal prosecutors to aggressively pursue all cases of involuntary servitude in the South. A historian called this "the effective end of slavery in the South".

When the federal government banned chattel slavery after the Civil War, it turned the Southern economy upside down. So what was the effect of Circular 3591 on the South's economy? My impression is that peonage and convict leasing was very big in the South.

I'm not American and I suspect this will be a can of worms but isn't it still the case that a largely Black prison population is made to work for practically no money in large swathes of America? Effectively slavery if not legally so.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm not American and I suspect this will be a can of worms but isn't it still the case that a largely Black prison population is made to work for practically no money in large swathes of America? Effectively slavery if not legally so.

They're not being doled out as cheap labor to private interests, at least (I don't think). The jobs are for things like prison maintenance or cheap labor government work, and the jobs can be part of career education for after release. For example, some states use prisoners to stamp license plates. And while the pay is pennies, they're not paying for their housing or food or medical. There are many things you can fault the correctional system for, but this is pretty far down on the list.

(all of this with the caveat that I likely don't know what I'm talking about)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Organza Quiz posted:

No, it is slavery, and it is also legal. Note the wording of our 13th amendment.

The 13th Amendment posted:

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Well sort of. Our definition of slavery has changed since the civil war. Involuntary servitude is really a better definition of prison work. Modern day slavery is applied in situations like human trafficking where a person is forced to do things against their will and is largely controlled by another individual, but they're not actually owned property the same way a person is under chattel slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

kedo posted:

Well sort of. Our definition of slavery has changed since the civil war. Involuntary servitude is really a better definition of prison work. Modern day slavery is applied in situations like human trafficking where a person is forced to do things against their will and is largely controlled by another individual, but they're not actually owned property the same way a person is under chattel slavery.

Yeah.. That is still slavery.