Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Spelunk me please posted:

You know what? You convinced me to change my mind. You certainly aren't a good person who is just arguing from a point of ignorance.

Excuse me? Did you just call a stranger on the Internet a bad person? Are you trolling? Use Ad homemin? Or are you just being a dick?

I think I must be older than you, and I ve lived through some rather crazy poo poo. Having people stalk you, follow you, harass you IRL. Phone calls late before the world of caller ID (I learned a good lesson then, some times yoh will be happier if youbdont pick up the phone) Finding your car smashed by a craszydeco person. Being held down by a group of older boys at church...

That's loving bullying, having people tweet or send ugly emails you don't have to loving read isn't. I didn't have a choice in regards to those FucKS who engaged with me, in real life but on the Internet I do.

My engagement on the Internet is under my control. I can shut down my social media ignore unwanted emails and enjoy my life. When I have to worry about some nerd on Twitter smashing my car with his smashr ap then I might come arounder to your way of thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Pookah posted:

Do people in this thread seriously think that the twitter attacks on Alicia Machado were not a 100% predictable and expected thing? I mean, taken solely as a series of news stories, it follows a very obvious arc -
Round 1: Alicia Machado comes forward to tell her story of being horribly bullied by Trump when she was a very young woman.
Round 2: (Hopefully) Trump doubles-down on the bullying - (he did)
Round 3: (100% certain to happen) His supporters go on the attack and very publically and quotably reveal themselves to be the 'deplorables' Clinton said they were.
Round 4: Ms. Machado valiantly fights back and says she's having to re-live being bullied by Trump all over again.
Round 5 . Trump cannot help himself and starts attacking her again (unless they get the phone away from him).

And thats another cycle over.

She's as prepared as she can be for this, hopefully she'll come out of election year with a positively boosted media profile as a result; Trumps owes her that at least.

Admitting being an accomplice to attempted murder and making death threats to the judge when your boyfriend gets indicted seems like unpreparedness.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bashez posted:

Admitting being an accomplice to attempted murder and making death threats to the judge when your boyfriend gets indicted seems like unpreparedness.

Being accused of a crime does not automatically make you guilty; she was never convicted of anything.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Pookah posted:

Being accused of a crime does not automatically make you guilty; she was never convicted of anything.

When Anderson Cooper asks you if you drove your boyfriend away from a murder and threatened to kill a judge you do not say "I have my past" and "I'm no saint."

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Bashez posted:

When Anderson Cooper asks you if you drove your boyfriend away from a murder and threatened to kill a judge you do not say "I have my past" and "I'm no saint."

Thank you prosecutor Bashez, esquire.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Thank you prosecutor Bashez, esquire.

I hope the thread isn't this stupid about this.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Her being an imperfect person is irrelevant to her experience with one Donald J. Trump.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

max4me posted:

Excuse me? Did you just call a stranger on the Internet a bad person? Are you trolling? Use Ad homemin? Or are you just being a dick?

I think I must be older than you, and I ve lived through some rather crazy poo poo. Having people stalk you, follow you, harass you IRL. Phone calls late before the world of caller ID (I learned a good lesson then, some times yoh will be happier if youbdont pick up the phone) Finding your car smashed by a craszydeco person. Being held down by a group of older boys at church...

That's loving bullying, having people tweet or send ugly emails you don't have to loving read isn't. I didn't have a choice in regards to those FucKS who engaged with me, in real life but on the Internet I do.

My engagement on the Internet is under my control. I can shut down my social media ignore unwanted emails and enjoy my life. When I have to worry about some nerd on Twitter smashing my car with his smashr ap then I might come arounder to your way of thinking

That was a bit to personal and I apologize for that. It came across like you were trying to blame the victims, which really hits a nerve for me. I had some gruesome experiences for years myself and didn't really want to offend you this way. I'm honestly sorry.

What I am arguing is that times have changed a bit. Nowadays virtual presence and comments are becoming just as present as spoken words. From what I've heard you are using social media purely personally. So it's easier to distance yourself from it. But for others this is an active part of their work. But people often don't have the chance to disengage. Sure it might feel better to not pick up the phone and that may actually work if you mostly use your phone for private topics. But if you get hundreds of workcalls a day and your business number is publicly available you don't have that convenient choice. Social media works exactly the same way because it is just another way to communicate. It feels like you are being dismissive of people who fall into severe depressions from such behavior and it's certainly not all their own fault.

But of course physical violence and destruction of property is worse than insults. I feel sorry, that you had to live through that and can assure you that I can relate.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 28, 2016

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bashez posted:

No, you say "I did not do either of those things".

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Spelunk me please posted:

That was a bit to personal and I apologize for that. It came across like you were trying to blame the victims, which really hits a nerve for me. I had some gruesome experiences for years myself and didn't really want to offend you this way. I'm honestly sorry.

What I am arguing is that times have changed a bit. Nowadays virtual presence and comments are becoming just as present as spoken words. From what I've heard you are using social media purely personally. So it's easier to distance yourself from it. But for others this is an active part of their work. But people often don't have the chance to disengage. Sure it might feel better to not pick up the phone and that may actually work if you mostly use your phone for private topics. But if you get hundreds of workcalls a day and your business number is publicly available you don't have that convenient choice. Social media works exactly the same way because it is just another way to communicate. It feels like you are being dismissive of people who fall into severe depressions from such behavior and it's certainly not all their own fault.

But of course physical violence and destruction of property is worse than insults. I feel sorry, that you had to live through that and can assure you that I can relate.

If I may humbly suggest, you are taking the guy who doesn't believe that bad people can use the Internet to hurt others and make victims out of the too often victimized, or that being shut out of the Internet social sphere in the modern age is not in fact a huge deal, way too seriously and giving him way too much credit.

*internet fascists send death and rape threats to minority on the internet* :downswords: there's no such thing as cyberbullying, she should just turn off her Twitter. This is not an opinion you take seriously or respect.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

USC poll has Trump +4, up 1 from yesterday, so it is now crystal clear he won all the debates and nothing matters.

(I imagine they polled that one Trump guy)

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

max4me posted:

Using ad hominem to try and shut someone down. Misunderstanding ad hominem fallacies. Badly misspelling ad hominem.

The rest of your post is also bad

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's funny seeing all these conservative newspapers endorse hillary but it's super annoying how their reasoning is that trump isn't a "true republican" or actually "conservative". he's the logical endpoint to the southern strategy, he's more gop than any other candidate was.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Every living president regardless of party affiliation came out to endorse Hillary.

Come one, America. Get your poo poo together

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

max4me posted:

if i call you an idiot will you please shut down your forums presence and not post stupid poo poo here anymore, thanks

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
one of my friends said something fairly innocuous on social media that people didn't like. she thought she could deal with the torrent of rape threats via tweet, but then someone managed to find her old address and from there it kinda spiraled

it's been a few months and she still gets harassing phone calls

and this is not new. one of the really annoying Woke Twitter people (Mikki Kendall) back in 2007, 2008, something, thought someone was lying about a dead child and so doxxed this person and called the funeral home to demand proof of the baby's death.

"just block them" isn't an option when someone with the right amount of technical knowhow can destroy your life. i don't know how rape threats don't count as terrifying even if they're ~just~ on twitter

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Bashez posted:

I feel like I missed a page in the thread but nope. Is there any context to this because what in the gently caress?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Upon further thought. If you think I was insulting you and that disengaging is really easy, I guess you should just delete your account. I don't want to be mean, but that is just the logical implication.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i have an acquaintance who made fun of gamergate types when that story was first breaking and still gets harassing phone calls, weird letters, and people stalking her online presence over two years later. she *has* deleted her twitter and facebook and made new ones, but when you have 10000 weirdos trying to hunt you down, they find you sooner or later. Is she just not supposed to use the internet at all? yeah, that's fair.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Dexo posted:

Is there a place I can put prop best on Mark Cuban running for president in the next 8 years

https://twitter.com/No_Cut_Card/status/780614319432237056

It's cool that Cuban is OK spending all his time attacking the Donald, but there's a thing to keep in mind when someone talks about their audits.

It costs the IRS a lot of money to audit a tax return, and because the IRS is not a popular program for congress to fund they don't have a ton of extra money floating around. One or two audits is one thing. If they keep coming back year after year, it's because they keep finding enough irregularities to pay for the costs of the audits.

In plain english, if you're audited every year in this day and age, it's because you're a huge tax cheat.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's funny seeing all these conservative newspapers endorse hillary but it's super annoying how their reasoning is that trump isn't a "true republican" or actually "conservative". he's the logical endpoint to the southern strategy, he's more gop than any other candidate was.

I agree with you in part, but you missed something important.

Who said he's the end point?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I have never had the urge to hunt someone down for saying a thing I didn't like on the internet. It's a very strange, alien thing to me and I can't relate to that feeling at all.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

I feel like I missed a page in the thread but nope. Is there any context to this because what in the gently caress?

It's from a daily mail article. Crucial line in the article that the headline ignores: "Though she was exonerated..."

Endorph posted:

i have an acquaintance who made fun of gamergate types when that story was first breaking and still gets harassing phone calls, weird letters, and people stalking her online presence over two years later. she *has* deleted her twitter and facebook and made new ones, but when you have 10000 weirdos trying to hunt you down, they find you sooner or later. Is she just not supposed to use the internet at all? yeah, that's fair.

That's the mentality of their god emperor, isn't it? "If Ivanka was harassed at work she could always quit!"

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!

max4me posted:

Can you go ahead and take this along with your garbage opinions over to 4chan where they belong? Thanks.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twerking on the railroad posted:

It's cool that Cuban is OK spending all his time attacking the Donald, but there's a thing to keep in mind when someone talks about their audits.

It costs the IRS a lot of money to audit a tax return, and because the IRS is not a popular program for congress to fund they don't have a ton of extra money floating around. One or two audits is one thing. If they keep coming back year after year, it's because they keep finding enough irregularities to pay for the costs of the audits.

In plain english, if you're audited every year in this day and age, it's because you're a huge tax cheat.

Actually he is being audited because he is a good Christian

He cleared this up like, a year ago geez

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
"Just choose not to read the lovely things people are saying about you" makes no goddamn sense. How are you supposed to know it's a lovely thing if you don't read it?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

visceril posted:

I have never had the urge to hunt someone down for saying a thing I didn't like on the internet. It's a very strange, alien thing to me and I can't relate to that feeling at all.

People have done it on this forum if I recall correctly.

Vitriol runs deep.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Bashez posted:

I hope the thread isn't this stupid about this.

It's irrelevant and um you missed a key point posted above.

Also here's the best advice a lawyer can ever give anyone when it comes to allegations: SHUT THE gently caress UP.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Hmm, so it seems like most Americans* think that the president can direct any executive agency to do his bidding without dissent or question, and without any oversight of any kind.

Obama can direct the Bush-appointed chief of the FBI to drop charges against Hillary, and all do the agents on the case will just go along with it without saying anything to anyone about it.

The IRS can waste what precious little funding it has to have a protracted legal battle with Trump on made-up charges. And everyone employed by the agency working on it is just fine with it.

Is this really how they think the world works? Is it how they want the world to work? Why bother electing congress if this is how it is

*Idiots

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Also,

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/781089063856136193

There's your Trump absolute floor.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

max4me posted:

Ah the no-true scotsman of what is "real bullying".

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

We rate Hillary's remark that half of Trump supporters are deplorable: mostly true.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

visceril posted:

Is this really how they think the world works? Is it how they want the world to work? Why bother electing congress if this is how it is

This cartoon, but for realsies.

It's a lot easier to blame one dude for everything bad in the country, rather than critically examine any number of the thousands of real issues: systemic racism, chronic obstructionism, whatever, pick your poison.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phone posted:

What about that CBS poll from last night? Trump dominated that one.

I saw this earlier and I'm sure someone jumped on it, but you are aware these were all unprotected, bottable polls yes?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

I saw this earlier and I'm sure someone jumped on it, but you are aware these were all unprotected, bottable polls yes?
Yeah, Phone is aware of that. Guess who isn't and has been boasting about those internet polls and presenting them on twitter ever since they started?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Re: Clinton calling Cuban a "real billionaire": Does anyone have pictures of Trump's car doors?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

visceril posted:

this isn't really unique to american politics. You see it with most everything. Look at how people talk about movies, all they talk about is the most visible elements (the director, the actors) for its strengths and its flaws. Only actual film critics or people with a lot of film knowledge would praise or criticize, like, the editing and lighting, beyond general complaints like 'it's too dark' or whatever.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

Over/under on the times that the phrase "uppity negro/other n-word" was used during this polling.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I hear ya; seems to me though that people are uniquely stupid about the government and unable to apply some kind of comparative reasoning or empathy to it.

I blame the matrix and it's portrayal of federal agents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

visceril posted:

I hear ya; seems to me though that people are uniquely stupid about the government and unable to apply some kind of comparative reasoning or empathy to it.

I blame the matrix and it's portrayal of federal agents

The Agents were a distillation of years of right-wing paranoia about black helicopters, men-in-black, etc.

• Locked thread