Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I know I'm stating the obvious here, but getting an OTA antenna is one of the best things you can do pre or post cable cutting. It's worth it for PBS (og, world, create, and audio version) and NBC (nbc and cozi tv some TBS type channel). The quality is perfect, it works if the internet is down, and it feeds that craving of random surfing I get every once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah the sub-broadcast ota channels are like what I remember from late night unscheduled local programming in the 90's. Random movies, mst3k, classics, but 24 hrs a day.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The main networks broadcast antenna is only 6 miles away so I can get abc, nbc, cbs, fox, and cw, with rabbit ears but it breaks up every now and then. Unfortunately PBS is 35+ miles in the opposite direction.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If anyone cares, I've got an :effort: post going in the Plex thread about my experiences using Plex DVR with OTA channels. It's early software for sure - improvements have already been made in the last 2 days - but if you like recording TV shows but live in a post-Windows Media Center world it's worth looking at.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

wormil posted:

The main networks broadcast antenna is only 6 miles away so I can get abc, nbc, cbs, fox, and cw, with rabbit ears but it breaks up every now and then. Unfortunately PBS is 35+ miles in the opposite direction.

Opposite for me, I can only get PBS and Fox

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

wormil posted:

At my last building party I was chitchatting with a few neighbors about cord cutting and they were worried about local channels and not being able to get an antenna. It just so happens that we have an antenna on the roof that I'm pretty sure I am the only one using right now that still works perfectly and you can switch your cable wiring too.

Turns out you can get pretty awesome television reception with a 24 story tall TV antenna. :lol:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

wormil posted:

Ohh yea I noticed a channel picked up mst3k last week. Comet maybe.

I get 51 channels OTA so there is always something.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Three Olives posted:

At my last building party I was chitchatting with a few neighbors about cord cutting and they were worried about local channels and not being able to get an antenna. It just so happens that we have an antenna on the roof that I'm pretty sure I am the only one using right now that still works perfectly and you can switch your cable wiring too.

Turns out you can get pretty awesome television reception with a 24 story tall TV antenna. :lol:

I live in a neighborhood that was built in 1968 and one of the houses has this bigass rooftop antenna. I want to hook it up to my HDHomerun real bad.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

I live in a neighborhood that was built in 1968 and one of the houses has this bigass rooftop antenna. I want to hook it up to my HDHomerun real bad.

Maybe get to know your neighbors and maybe they will let you do it? I've considered for a long time asking my next door neighbor if they want to split WiFi. I haven't because that sort of financial arrangement seems a little messy but if they asked me to put a HDHomerun in my house for them and gave me a little cash for the favor I would do it in a heartbeat.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Three Olives posted:

Maybe get to know your neighbors and maybe they will let you do it? I've considered for a long time asking my next door neighbor if they want to split WiFi. I haven't because that sort of financial arrangement seems a little messy but if they asked me to put a HDHomerun in my house for them and gave me a little cash for the favor I would do it in a heartbeat.

Whatever happened to your plan to own and operate the internet service in your condo?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Don Lapre posted:

Ohh yea I noticed a channel picked up mst3k last week. Comet maybe.

I get 51 channels OTA so there is always something.

It's on comet. There's also an app that work on like 15 devices called Pluto. It has a streaming mst3k channel. It's free but has obscenely loud commercials.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Whatever happened to your plan to own and operate the internet service in your condo?

Getting AT&T Gigabit internet next quarter.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TheScott2K posted:

Meh. My parents had a huge rooftop antenna and the reception always sucked. The tiny modern square antenna stuck above the basement door works better. Granted, they only use over the air TV on the one tiny CRT over the bar and it's almost never used because they have Dish TV on all the other TVs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

After a quick bit of research to decide on whether or not I jump ship from my current cable sub to Sling TV or PS Vue, I think I'm gonna go with Sling since I don't really care for DVR features. I have several Roku devices in my home, and the new $30 Roku Express seems like it'd be a great solution to get TV in the garage, guest bedroom, etc.

But that said, the only thing really keeping me from subbing to PS Vue instead of Sling (because for the price, I think Vue has better value based on their channel packages) is just how bad the PS Vue app interface is on the Roku platform. It looks like it's using the legacy Roku navigation/design language, which is poo poo. Is that good reasoning? I suppose I could just sub to Vue and hope they update their Roku channel to not look like rear end, but I could use some suggestions. Can anyone comment on stream quality of Sling vs Vue on the Roku?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

teagone posted:

After a quick bit of research to decide on whether or not I jump ship from my current cable sub to Sling TV or PS Vue, I think I'm gonna go with Sling since I don't really care for DVR features. I have several Roku devices in my home, and the new $30 Roku Express seems like it'd be a great solution to get TV in the garage, guest bedroom, etc.

But that said, the only thing really keeping me from subbing to PS Vue instead of Sling (because for the price, I think Vue has better value based on their channel packages) is just how bad the PS Vue app interface is on the Roku platform. It looks like it's using the legacy Roku navigation/design language, which is poo poo. Is that good reasoning? I suppose I could just sub to Vue and hope they update their Roku channel to not look like rear end, but I could use some suggestions. Can anyone comment on stream quality of Sling vs Vue on the Roku?

Both offer a 7 day free trial; just sign up for both and see which one you like best.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Vue on Roku isn't great, but it sucks a bit less then sling. Plus you get the app sign ins.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

blugu64 posted:

Vue on Roku isn't great, but it sucks a bit less then sling. Plus you get the app sign ins.

Sling recently redid their Roku app.. It's a hell of a lot faster and stable now.

The Vue app uses the legacy Roku libraries, which lets someone get a video app going quickly as possible, but with limited functionality and somewhat dated looking interface.

And a tidbit I found interesting... There are 2 different ways to write channels for Roku. Sticking entirely with standard interface objects, which means you get a limited set of functionality, but you can get a working channel out the door quickly. Which is why many Roku channels have similar dated looking interfaces, and is exactly what Vue has done. Or write everything custom; you get much better functionality and can do whatever you want with the interface, but it takes a lot more effort to get a working channel. This is the route Sling, Netflix, and Plex have taken.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 27, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Signed up for the Sling free trial and yeah, the UI on the Roku Sling app is great. Tested it out on a Roku Stick 3600R and jumping between channels is fast.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wormil posted:

The PBS app on roku is way more than good enough.

And how much TV is everyone's kids watching in this thread? This last page made me queasy.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

BigFactory posted:

And how much TV is everyone's kids watching in this thread? This last page made me queasy.

My son watches TV in the mornings for maybe 20 minutes because it's easier to get him ready for daycare. There is no television at night usually.

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 28, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Pillowpants posted:

My son watches TV in the mornings for maybe 20 minutes because it's easier to get him ready for daycare. There is no television at night usually.

The best part about cutting cable is just plain watching less tv.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BigFactory posted:

Seriously, I was raised with the TV on all the time, so I can deal with it, but my wife was not. We had cable for a year, and she'd pretty much just watch TV constantly. I cancelled it because it was ridiculous. She doesn't need to watch Chop'd 24/7.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

That's the real lovely thing - in the era of Peak TV and there being a million good shows I'd like to catch up on, if I have cable I just end up watching poo poo like House Hunters because "it's on."

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My daughters watch television (Disney Junior or Netflix although my oldest likes Chopped Junior) after they do their homework.

In the morning, we listen to SiriusXM's kids channel.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Kinda curious: is there a phone or web app that keeps track of TV shows. Ideally, I'd like to enter a bunch of shows I watch and have it automatically update when there are new episodes, allowing me to mark things as watched when I get to them.

I use a variety of things like Hulu, Netflix, individual show subscriptions on Google, and On Demand at my parents' house and it's hard a) knowing when a show airs (Bob's Burgers came back this week!) and b) keeping track of what I watched.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Officially canceled my DTV account and went with PSVue. I will need to sign up for the NHL.tv streaming package but Im estimating my yearly cost to go from $1600 to $500.

Now for the barrage of calls and emails from DTV begging me to come back.

It was funny and I felt sorry for the retentions worker that had to ask me if I watched Chiller... since I'll be missing that. :lol:

Krime fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 28, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Uthor posted:

Kinda curious: is there a phone or web app that keeps track of TV shows. Ideally, I'd like to enter a bunch of shows I watch and have it automatically update when there are new episodes, allowing me to mark things as watched when I get to them.

I use SeriesGuide on Android for this.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I use a variety of things like Hulu, Netflix, individual show subscriptions on Google, and On Demand at my parents' house and it's hard a) knowing when a show airs (Bob's Burgers came back this week!) and b) keeping track of what I watched.

On iOS, Television Time is what you're looking for.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I use SeriesGuide on Android for this.

Thwomp posted:

On iOS, Television Time is what you're looking for.

I'm an Android fanboi. Should have said, but thought it'd be something cross platform.

Thanks!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Uthor posted:

Roku has this on their interface. You can choose a tv show and it will show new episodes when they appear.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BigFactory posted:

I have it.

The real downside of not getting my local PBS is they have four channels and much of the content is not on the PBS app. I could get them if I wanted to put up a bigger a antenna. I don't remember why I brought it up but I wasn't looking for a solution.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Seriously, I was raised with the TV on all the time, so I can deal with it, but my wife was not. We had cable for a year, and she'd pretty much just watch TV constantly. I cancelled it because it was ridiculous. She doesn't need to watch Chop'd 24/7.

That's a weirdly condescending way to talk about your spouse.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Uthor posted:

Trakt should fit the bill:

https://trakt.tv/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BigFactory posted:

That's a weirdly condescending way to talk about your spouse.

I get it, but she agreed.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

BigFactory posted:

The best part about cutting cable is just plain watching less sports.

I watch about the same amount of tv, it's just better and far more curated if I have to go through the effort of finding what service will have it on when.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Maneki Neko posted:

Trakt should fit the bill:

https://trakt.tv/

What you want is an app with trakt integration. The website isn't really designed to be used alone. There are Windows 10 apps too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SeriesGuide integrates with trakt.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I get it, but she agreed.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/328/what-i-learned-from-television?act=1#play

This is an awesome segment on this from This American Life from the amazing and dearly departed David Rakoff.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I just found out you can watch Fox and ESPN NFL games live via their apps as long as you're logged in with your credentials. This is great news as my antenna sucks for Fox. You know, in case you're away from your cable service. Like if it was your dad's.

As for a DVR, are we going to go back to setting up VHS recorders to tape our OTA antennas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Croatoan posted:

As for a DVR, are we going to go back to setting up VHS recorders to tape our OTA antennas?

TiVo if you want a good DVR, Channel Master if you want a lovely one.