Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Sophism posted:

Mercy is ten times more fun than Lucio, agreed. Her positioning is pretty unique and trying to survive as her when literally the entire enemy team wants you dead, makes her way more exciting to play for me. Her gun is also actually fun to use, unlike Lucio's neon lettuce spewer.

Ana is wonderful and so is Zen. I guess Lucio would win a "Who has the douchiest shades?" contest though, so hey even he has an upside.

Mercy > Ana = Zen > The rest of the cast > Sombra, if she's ever more than an ARG tease > Battle Mercy > Paladins: Champions of the Realm >>>>>>>>> Lucio

If the list is about fun, battle mercy should be at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Bopped away a Reaper coming off the gas station roof ulting saving my team and myself, dropping the beat to make Genji wastes an ult with no kills, then instakilled to that lovely thing junkrat does where he falls on you while setting off the mine.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So Lucio's right click will always launch someone the exact same distance away from you, regardless of your distance or angle. Their movement may affect this. Your movement does not. Their "weight" also affects this; lighter heroes will go further than heavy ones like Rein or D.Va.

Am I right on this?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grapplejack posted:

So Lucio's right click will always launch someone the exact same distance away from you, regardless of your distance or angle. Their movement may affect this. Your movement does not. Their "weight" also affects this; lighter heroes will go further than heavy ones like Rein or D.Va.

Am I right on this?

:shrug: I guess that seems legit, "off the edge to their death" isn't a precise distance though.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Grapplejack posted:

Am I right on this?

their momentum does for sure, their weight doesn't seem to

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whether or not they're already in the air is a factor as well, yeah?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Pretty sure heroes don't have 'weight' to them. The only thing that matters is what direction they are trying to move in when booped and possibly the angle of the boop

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm using Lucio more often and I actually like him 2nd to Zen. His ults can definitely hold a team together or force them to act aggressively. I also get some sick joy in killing people with my fart gun.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It's a good feeling to tag someone with 4 headshots when they're moving perpendicular to you. Also to juke a bunch of Zen orbs by wallriding towards him and finishing him with soundblast + melee.

I like playing Lucio a lot but my team and I get better results when I play a DPS or Zarya. You've really got to playing your A game if you want to do appreciable, game-swinging damage as Lucio.

I been playing some Ana finally and she is pretty fun! My Jarate aim is dogshit though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

redweird posted:

My Jarate aim is dogshit though.

Same, she Peyton Mannings the gently caress out of the pissjar and it always throws me off because I'm thinking "short range lob" and she just deuces up and chucks it at Reinhardt's goddamn face.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Lucio can get really aggressive with speed boosts, too. Nothing more satisfying than charging down a fleeing enemy and killing him with a 4shot -> Punch -> Boop combo when they thought they were safe.

He's also hilariously effective at fighting Roadhog, like, straight up, and something about that amuses me to no end.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmYDMNMUtxQ
This video singlehandedly reignited my love for lucio.

If you aren't wallriding and walljumping everywhere you are not using the full character

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Veryslightlymad posted:

He's also hilariously effective at fighting Roadhog, like, straight up, and something about that amuses me to no end.

What rank is this? Because this is wrong

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

cosmicjim posted:

What rank is this? Because this is wrong

High gold/Low plat

I waffle around 2300.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
1 hook and you're dead. Lucio is hard to track but not that hard.

Unless you're talking about firing at a distance from your group.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
roadhog is probably my worst enemy as lucio

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The brawl is great. If you get an open map, I suggest going 5 winstons. You can leap again before you hit the ground which means you can essentially just fly around the map. A buddy and I did that tonight and just caused mayhem for the enemy pharah.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dyz posted:

1 hook and you're dead. Lucio is hard to track but not that hard.

Unless you're talking about firing at a distance from your group.

hitting all 3 times from one blast does like 60 damage so I doubt it

the combo he mentioned wouldn't threaten him much either. 1 primary does 16x4 (64), plus 25 from the soundwave, plus 30 from the melee totaling at an unimpressive (against roadhog at least) 119 damage. you could finish off someone that's hurt like that tho if you were so inclined, but idk that chasing dudes as lucio is ever a good idea

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I have terrible aim yet manage to hook Lucios and give them a mouthful of shrapnel pretty consistently. It might be that they are so fast that any other target would be mistimed but a turbo Lucio basically rollerblades right into it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
At the tier I play at most Roadhogs don't do anything but look at you after they hook you so I just bop them back which usually is enough for them to run away and heal.

I wish the game said "you're playing awful tonight please stop" when I should stop but just keep going . . . for four hours, completely sucking and not having any fun the whole time, trying to chase a "good" match.

Rick fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 28, 2016

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
I play a lot of Lucio and hog is not too bad to beat. He's easy to hit from a distance with M1 and that does plenty dmg if you can aim/lead the slow poke.

If you get hooked, which is rare, run through him rather than away since he almost always walks forward instinctively. Continue to dmg while speed boosting, most hogs I play against cant compensate for the speed boost well.

If he misses you or you wait for him to blow the hook first, it's generally over unless he actually has a decent healer on him. Winston is a much bigger concern for me, stupid jumping ape.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Avail posted:

I play a lot of Lucio and hog is not too bad to beat. He's easy to hit from a distance with M1 and that does plenty dmg if you can aim/lead the slow poke.

If you get hooked, which is rare, run through him rather than away since he almost always walks forward instinctively. Continue to dmg while speed boosting, most hogs I play against cant compensate for the speed boost well.

If he misses you or you wait for him to blow the hook first, it's generally over unless he actually has a decent healer on him. Winston is a much bigger concern for me, stupid jumping ape.

If you get hooked against an even halfway decent roadhog, you are most likely dead instantly (unless the hook is from max range). You don't exactly have time to move or doot him.

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
Just sharing my experience, you don't have to like it.

Edit: I never said I didn't have hook stun, heh. Hardly get hooked as luc though. My points stand.

Also, everyone's rebuke is " oh if he's good blah blah blah" you could say that to almost any scenario and nullify any argument. Good job explaining that good players are good.

Avail fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 28, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Just catching up but im shocked that people take POTG or medals as anything tbh.

In quickplay unless the team was fun to play with/ against, I'm pretty much gone as victory or defeat pops up.

It's secondary flavoring thats a bonus but by no means a measure of anything, mainly because the most important actions in this game are team synergy, not how many heals someone got.
I do know people play the game super competitively but I thought it was generally agreed when we realized what POTG's prioritized that they were cute but overall meaningless.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SectumSempra posted:

Just catching up but im shocked that people take POTG or medals as anything tbh.

In quickplay unless the team was fun to play with/ against, I'm pretty much gone as victory or defeat pops up.

It's secondary flavoring thats a bonus but by no means a measure of anything, mainly because the most important actions in this game are team synergy, not how many heals someone got.
I do know people play the game super competitively but I thought it was generally agreed when we realized what POTG's prioritized that they were cute but overall meaningless.

Part of it is that Blizzard's made a conscious decision not to give people any sort of actual performance metrics or leaderboards of any substantial worth, which is fine in the sense that they don't want people doing the whole "look at this loving rear end in a top hat on my team barely pulling his weight" thing based off those numbers, but on the other hand people still do that anyway using either stuff like medals or simply making GBS threads on whoever they perceive as the weak link regardless, so it seems like something of a fruitless endeavor from that perspective. Folks want something to grasp at to prove that they're the best and everyone else sucks, and since medals are all the game gives you medals are what they use.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If we're getting clowned on and I don't have gold in every category except healing then I am not playing well enough. If we are doing well and I don't have gold in every category except healing then I am not playing well enough.

Keep the context around medals in mind. If you have gold damage you should have gold elims. If you have gold damage as Tracer but silver or worse elims all you've done is feed the enemy supports ultimate. Also pay attention to the non medal stats to the right. I have a basic idea of how much damage I prevent as Zarya each match, so I can use these stats to get a vague sense of if I am performing or not.

At the end of the day if you're the kind of player who gets incensed about constantly being matched with terrible teammates you are almost definitely terrible as well.

Also I see a lot of chatter in here about people maining characters. Do not do this! The things that will make you good at Overwatch is aiming and positioning, and you will learn that on every character. I've got about 200 hours in this game and my most played character (Zarya) is at 20 hours.

Like, if the only character you play is Pharah you will only ever learn how Pharah interacts with maps, and you will hit a wall when you come up against people with way more knowledge.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bonewitch posted:

roadhog is probably my worst enemy as lucio
"Oh, let's break it D- w-woah!"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Just can't stop getting owned by Junkrat tonight, which is weird because that hasn't really happened like this in months and months, but like constantly dying all night long to little bombs like I've never played this game before.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Skin idea for Reinhardt: his hammer gets all hosed up looking and melted like it fell out of a weird rift in space-time, because that thing always loving warps me around when it hits me every goddamn time

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

redweird posted:

If we're getting clowned on and I don't have gold in every category except healing then I am not playing well enough. If we are doing well and I don't have gold in every category except healing then I am not playing well enough.

Keep the context around medals in mind. If you have gold damage you should have gold elims. If you have gold damage as Tracer but silver or worse elims all you've done is feed the enemy supports ultimate. Also pay attention to the non medal stats to the right. I have a basic idea of how much damage I prevent as Zarya each match, so I can use these stats to get a vague sense of if I am performing or not.

Please don't think like this. Having all golds means you're in the wrong game. That's not realstic at all. Don't chase them either.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Until they list damage to shields as a separate metric, Damage Done is completely meaningless

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Unoriginal Name posted:

Until they list damage to shields as a separate metric, Damage Done is completely meaningless

damage to shields is still really important. imagine if no one ever shot a reinhardt shield. his team would be invincible

Andrast posted:

If you get hooked against an even halfway decent roadhog, you are most likely dead instantly (unless the hook is from max range). You don't exactly have time to move or doot him.

you definitely have time to boop him. i survive probably more than half the time when i get hooked, dying only if boop is on cooldown or i'm out of ammo. hold down right click to boop as soon as you're able, speed boost away.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

damage to shields is still really important. imagine if no one ever shot a reinhardt shield. his team would be invincible

you definitely have time to boop him. i survive probably more than half the time when i get hooked, dying only if boop is on cooldown or i'm out of ammo. hold down right click to boop as soon as you're able, speed boost away.

It depends on the range you are hooked since the hook stun duration is static. If the hook is long range the stun will wear off before you die, if it's medium or short range you (probably) just die.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Kerrrrrrr posted:

you definitely have time to boop him.

This is just flat out wrong in most cases. You are literally stunned and unable to do anything if he hooks you from a certain distance or less.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

well!!!!!!!!

fine just stay a minimum x distance away from him then

ez

(i don't usually find myself getting hooked at close range, but that could be because i hop around like a frog on crack and/or the roadhogs at my SR are garbage. i also have a bad memory and don't remember things good. i'm sorry thread.)

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
In general, if there's a good hog on the enemy team you have to play safer because he will hook you and kill you if you're off position. Depending on luck you may be able to doot your way back to safety, but as the players get better your chance of survival drops, as his teammates will focus you down faster too.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
List of Medals should be this:
-Time Spent while on Objective
-Kills/Assists while on Objective
-Heals while on Objective
-Damage Dealt+Damage Blocked while on Objective
-Time spent contesting Objective

These metrics would be far more useful to gloat with and more accurate in defining your usefulness.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
That's dumb because there a lot of heroes that do much better not fighting directly on the objective

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Lets just be happy that they gave us some metrics to judge performance by, even if that performance isn't directly tied to winning or losing the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kashuno posted:

That's dumb because there a lot of heroes that do much better not fighting directly on the objective

Those classes are also played by the loudest idiots and contribute to the 'why is everyone a flanker?' problem that crops up way too often.

You want shiny gold medals? Get on the loving objective.

Want to play ultimate Genji/Reaper? It's cool, you don't need medals anyways.