Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Pid: At times this game is infuriating due to its difficulty and/or the occasional badly placed checkpoint. I played on Normal but when I got to the final boss, after ten hours, I couldn't take it anymore and bumped it down to Easy. By the time the game was over I despised it, which is a shame because there's so much to like about it. The art, music, animation, atmosphere, etc., it's all really lovely, and the gameplay is very fun when it doesn't hate you. I guess just play on Easy from the start and spare yourself the frustration.

OlliOlli: Either the timing in this game is extremely precise or the controls are unresponsive. It's probably the former but feels like the latter, and ultimately is very aggravating since you feel like you should've landed the trick/grind perfectly yet end up crashing anyway. There's also not enough contrast between background and foreground objects which makes it difficult to tell at the speed you're going what is or isn't an obstacle. I beat all the main levels and called it quits, not really interested in the more difficult ones.

King's Bounty: Warriors of the North: Jesus christ this game is long. But it's very addictive and somehow compels you to win just one more battle, collect one more treasure, etc. A very simple but effective gameplay loop. Clearing the maps of enemies, quests and loot is just plain satisfying. However, on Normal difficulty I found it very easy for the most part, and the tactical combat quite... boring? It's essentially a straight damage race. It doesn't put you in any interesting situations or make you carefully consider your next move, or anything like that. It's just raining damage on your enemies as efficiently as possible, and if you're not efficient you have more than enough gold to replenish any fallen troops anyway. The most is does is take away your Rage abilities for boss fights, which is a bullshit way to make it interesting. There are so many units and skills and spells and stats and whatnot but they don't really interact in any meaningful ways. A game like X-Com or even Massive Chalice does a lot more with a lot less. But very possibly on higher difficulties it gets more interesting. Still, addictive and ultimately fun. But so goddamn long, my goodness. It just goes on and on and on. I somehow stuttered over the finish line.

I also started but gave up on:

Beyond Divinity: This game is all over the place. The writing is a big step down from Divine Divinity, the quests are simplistic and dull, the battlefield feature is weird in a bad way and the UI for loot/inventory management is a nightmare. You're controlling two characters so naturally only one should get the Repair skill or else you're just wasting skill points. But they have separate inventories, so for char1 to repair char2's items you first have to manually transfer everything over (at which point char1 sometimes auto-equips them, ruining their own setup), then repair everything and manually transfer everything back to char2, one by one, and re-equip everything. Just horrendous, and comparing items between inventories and shops, for instance (which you'll be doing a lot more often than repair), is tedious in the exact same way. In an RPG that's heavily loot-based that's inexcusable and I couldn't see myself powering through 30 hours of it. What eventually killed it for good was a forced stealth section towards the end of Act 1. I realized I had zero motivation to keep going. Maybe if the writing or story were even remotely compelling, but they weren't.

Nethergate: Resurrection: I really liked Geneforge but even though that series also had some engine jank to deal with in the first few games, it doesn't compare to this. Unfortunately I found Nethergate virtually unplayable in the very first dungeon, primarily because there is a sight radius / fog around your party that makes even visited tiles dark again, which feels enormously cramped and stifling, and also because combat doesn't engage automatically, which means enemies sometimes get hits in before you even notice them. I wasn't having fun at all, which sucks cause it seemed interesting otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think Beyond Divinity's one good thing was the battlefield, or rather the concept of a randomized area in an RPG specifically designed for grinding that you can access whenever. Because sometimes I just want to test my new powers out or kill just 1 more skeleton for a level up.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Yeah, I could see that. The way it was presented in Beyond Divinity just felt real flimsy to me, though, as if they realized late in development that there was a balance issue or whatever and whipped this up as a quick and easy bandage. It was so weirdly detached from everything else around it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh no, the game's bad and they definitely added that in because they didn't properly balance their linear adventure RPG game and needed a way for people to power through. I just wish the idea was in more RPGs because I don't mind grinding sometimes, I just want a centralized location to do it.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I'm playing through Batman: Arkham City right now and I didn't realize the main plotline was so short. I've been breezing through the missions waiting to get to a good stopping point so I could really set in on the numerous side missions and stuff. I went from the Courthouse to the Steel Mill to the Iceberg Lounge to the Subway to Wonder City thinking that it'll be great when I get to go back for the real story once we're done with this stupid cure nonsense. By the time I think we're almost there I'm two missions away from the end of the game.

On top of that, the main plotline...is kind of dumb. Joker is dying and infects you so you have to find a cure. He then sends henchmen and Harley to stop you every step of the way instead of letting you find the cure. The Penguin captured and is killing Mr Freeze because...? Mr Freeze spazzes out and destroys the cure instead of cooperating with you to get Nora back, facilitating the rest of the plot. Instead of getting the regenerative blood solution from Solomon Grundy (who cannot die and you just kicked the crap out of and is unconscious) you have to get it from the head of a master assassin.

I haven't finished the game but I'm fairly certain Protocol 10 has nothing to do with the Cure plotline which has made up 90% of the story so far. It feels like there's 2/3rds of this game missing. Like, there's supposed to be a part of the main mission where I help the political prisoners and cops escape the city, and a campaign where I navigate the gang wars, and a campaign where I take down the TYGER guards once and for all and loosen their grip on the city. Instead there's just "Joker's crazy and that's not lazy everyone backstabs you until the game ends." I mean, I love this game but it's structured weird.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It really is a mess of a story and a lot of it is just a thinly veiled excuse to fight cool villains and nothing much else. There's still a few plot twists you haven't reached yet but it makes everything in hindsight seem even more bizarre. It really is Plot A: Joker's gonna joke, and Plot B: literally everything else.

e: One of the complaints with Asylum was bad boss fights and few appearances by the larger rogues gallery (Bane continues to be a joke). I think they went down a list check marking the iconic villains they wanted to see then tried to write a plot around them. Anyone who didn't make the plot cut ended up being a random side encounter.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 28, 2016

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Completed: The Walking Dead: 400 Days - Playing this reminded me of how great the Walking Dead engine was, especially compared to older Telltale games (Wallace & Gromit etc). However, the chapters were each pretty lackluster, and the decisions you make aren't all that meaningful. The epilogue would be an anticlimax if the rest of the DLC weren't so mediocre. I paid about $2.50 for it and I probably wouldn't pay any more than that.

Beat: Crypt of the NecroDancer - Really great game. Brilliant combination of rhythm game and roguelike; the music, graphics and story are well-crafted and fit together nicely. Except with a few challenge-run type characters, staying on beat isn't strictly necessary, but the game strongly encourages you to do it: if you don't drop the beat you make more gold, and a grid of neon lights move to the beat of the background music. Necrodancer isn't quite as punishing as other roguelikes I've played, but still quite challenging. The game flows really well when you learn the patterns of enemy movements and attacks: going from struggling against an enemy type to rhythmically evading their attacks is a great feeling.

Each area has its own rhythm, music and enemy pool: zone 2 was a slightly jarring, but interesting transition from zone 1, though zone 3's music was kinda bad compared to the other levels in my opinion. As you play you collect weapons and other items from shops, chests and whatnot. Weapons that grant range make combat significantly easier, since nearly all enemies can only attack you if they're adjacent. It took me about 12 hours of total playtime to beat the game. Cadence's two-part final boss encounter was quite good. The Necrodancer fight, though it wasn't especially difficult, was probably the most exciting boss fight I've played in awhile, partially because a) everything was moving to the beat b) I knew I'd have to beat zone 4 and the previous boss all over again if I died.

I don't think I'm going to make a serious attempt at playing many of the extra characters, except with Bard because he makes the game stupidly easy, or maybe Melody because her drawback doesn't seem that bad. About half of the characters impose a pretty serious restriction on gameplay, which turns me off a bit. Maybe that's needed to keep things challenging when you have learned all the enemy movement patterns, but I don't see myself spending hours trying to beat the game with characters who can't damage enemies, or die instantly to picking up gold/missing a beat.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
You should definitely at least play through a few levels with Melody because her drawback isn't one - it's a precondition for her phenomenal eldritch powers.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I checked out a few games tonight:

Nulled: Mushroom 11
Fun little puzzler where you move some goo around by erasing it and it then grows back. Got tricky after the first chapter so I quit.

Nulled: Mustache in Hell
Expected Burt Reynolds or Tom Selleck. Got some pixelated twin-stick shooty thing. Great title though.

Nulled: My Bones
First person horror that was horribly lovely. Apparently you can also finish it in a few minutes.

Finished: My Name is Mayo
You click on a jar of mayo, get a shitload of achievements, then pick an achievement and evolve the story by clicking on the jar again. Sometimes the jar has a mustache. Other times a bikini or a banana suit. 10,000 clicks and following the story gets you all the achievements.
I had fun.

Nulled: Nandeyanen!? - The 1st Sūtra
Side-scrolling shmup with an Asian theme and big busted, half-naked catgirl on game over screen.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

MrSlam posted:

I'm playing through Batman: Arkham City right now and I didn't realize the main plotline was so short. I've been breezing through the missions waiting to get to a good stopping point so I could really set in on the numerous side missions and stuff. I went from the Courthouse to the Steel Mill to the Iceberg Lounge to the Subway to Wonder City thinking that it'll be great when I get to go back for the real story once we're done with this stupid cure nonsense. By the time I think we're almost there I'm two missions away from the end of the game.

On top of that, the main plotline...is kind of dumb. Joker is dying and infects you so you have to find a cure. He then sends henchmen and Harley to stop you every step of the way instead of letting you find the cure. The Penguin captured and is killing Mr Freeze because...? Mr Freeze spazzes out and destroys the cure instead of cooperating with you to get Nora back, facilitating the rest of the plot. Instead of getting the regenerative blood solution from Solomon Grundy (who cannot die and you just kicked the crap out of and is unconscious) you have to get it from the head of a master assassin.

I haven't finished the game but I'm fairly certain Protocol 10 has nothing to do with the Cure plotline which has made up 90% of the story so far. It feels like there's 2/3rds of this game missing. Like, there's supposed to be a part of the main mission where I help the political prisoners and cops escape the city, and a campaign where I navigate the gang wars, and a campaign where I take down the TYGER guards once and for all and loosen their grip on the city. Instead there's just "Joker's crazy and that's not lazy everyone backstabs you until the game ends." I mean, I love this game but it's structured weird.

I just finished the main missions and was surprised how accurate this was.

I remembered Arkham City being longer when I first played it on the Xbox 360, but I guess that's because I was doing a lot of the side missions and Riddler trophies before moving onto the next main mission.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Some updates.

Nulled: Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians
I played this game a bit a while back and it was exceedingly mediocre. I put in a few hours and was sure I didn't need to complete it.

Nulled: Trine 2
Played and forced myself to beat the first one. Good concept but didn't love it, so don't think I really need to play the second one.

Playing: Binding of Isaac
Never gave this game too much time but always enjoyed it. It's great, hopefully I can at least finish it once and get some of the achievements.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Ceville - Decent adventure game from a while back where you are an exiled evil king trying to get revenge on his even more evil underling. Ending is bizarre and makes no sense

BEATEN: Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams - I don't know that I really liked this game because it was just too amateurish in a lot of ways. But I finished it at least.

BEATEN: Moebius: Empire Rising - This adventure game is better than people gave it credit for. Yes it's a cheesy Broken Sword wannabe, but it's a Jane Jensen game WITHOUT "cat hair mustache" logic, and its also gay as heck. I approve

BEATEN: The Lion's Song Ep. 1 - Story game, the first episode is free and standalone about a composer trying to write her next piece amidst all the stress in her life. Beautiful limited art/animation

BEATEN: Sacra Terra: Angelic Night - HIDDEN OBJECT GAMES!!!

BEATEN: Hack 'n' Slash - I don't understand why DoubleFine has a reputation for making bad games. I love Psychonauts, and Stacking, and Broken Age, and I really enjoyed Hack'n'Slash DESPITE my being very stupid about coding. I only had to resort to a guide twice, and one of those two times I was a big dummy that should've figured it out myself. It's really impressive how far the game is willing to let you break it, once you get into the library you get access to... A LOT. Let's just say.. A LOT.

PLAYING: Wuppo (IT'S GOOD), Momento Temporis (waiting on final release build), Face Noir, Supreme League of Patriots, at least one more HOG

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
BEATEN: This Is The Police - Pretty good story about a police chief trying to build up a nest egg in his six months before forced retirement. The gameplay (resource allocation by sending out cops on calls) was fun, great soundtrack/licensed music, writing, and voice acting. The scene where your character finally comes clean about the "nest egg number" is really well done, as is the game's ending. Caught some flak upon release because the mayor asks you to do some blatantly racist things, but the mayor is a douchebag (and a rapist) and pissing him off is part of your patriotic duty. I've heard rumors that they will be putting in an "endless mode" if you really like the daily game mechanics. The one downside I can think of is the final puzzle is a bit tricky (and the game hasn't really prepped you for anything like it), just follow a walkthrough if it annoys you.

BEATEN: Obduction - Backed this since I liked Myst. It's an absolutely beautiful game, as you'd expect from the Myst guys, with some frustrating puzzles including a terrible maze sequence. If you like Myst games then you'll like this, warts and all. If you didn't like Myst then don't buy it.

NULLED: Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches - A Myst-like game. Awful controls, disorienting map, nothing really grabbed me about it.

NULLED: Hektor - Bundle garbage.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
From the pile of bundle crap I try to stop buying:

Nulled: Chaos Ride
One of them fast racers in a tube. It's not on Steam anymore for good reasons.

Nulled: ChargeShot
2D arena pixel shooter where you jump around on platforms and shoot 1-3 opponents. Is probably fun to play with friends.

Nulled: Chowderchu
Good god what a bad looking puzzle platformer. Graphics are even worse than what I did on my ZX81.

Nulled: Circuit Breakers
Top down arena shooter. A bit like Robotron without being cool.

Nulled: City Z
It's top down zombie shooter optimized for VR. It's probably also a demo game for a game engine.

Nulled: Cloud Knights
I'm glad the "Available in App Store" was plastered all over the main menu, otherwise I would never have guessed it's a phone game :rolleyes:
Move left or right and swing your weapon. Hope you kill some bad guys. That's it.

Nulled: Cluck Yegger in Escape From The Planet of the Poultroid
A poultrified version of 5 Nights at Freddy's. There are also endless poultry puns.

Nulled: Coated
A puzzle platformer where the gimmick is to dip yourself in paint to progress. Looked really polished, but I've always hated Mixing Colors puzzles and this is kinda the thing you have to do to progress.

Nulled: Cold Contract
It needed Java to run, then linked to the Java homepage. Another game not on Steam anymore. I wonder why...

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Hello everyone would just like to announce that I am now up to 1147 games and haven't yet started playing the list.

I am however planning today to start plowing through bundle garbage. Regardless of my purchases I have an average cost of $1.21USD per hour of gameplay that I'm pretty happy with, but am hoping to bring down to around $1 or less. This is also before any card farming, so I will also get some money back from that. Last time I sold my card collection I made about $50, so maybe I can get a good non-bundle game for once. :v:

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Beaten: Obduction - Really great Myst-style game. Awesome puzzling, beautiful settings, and some incredibly nostalgic FMV. Oh, and the maze section is not as infuriating as others have indicated it to be.

Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - I've had this for a while, and I've just recently gotten back into it. I've finally beaten mom, and now I'm going even further down the rabbit hole.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

COMPLETED:

140 - Really cool sounds with this one. It's nice what you can do with simple graphics and a neat idea. It's a rhythm based platformer.

Storm of Spears - Played for about a half hour and lost interest. Plot twist did catch me off guard, but 40 minutes and only two real battles had me yawning.

Sparkle Series - These games were basically the Spore Cell stage made into full games. Not sure why, because it wasn't fun in Spore either.

Silver Knight - Couldn't get this one to launch.

ANKI - Decent little platformer. You are a robot created by God to collect gems. Notable for the request to vote for "Pregnancy with your Mom Simulator 2016" on Greenlight. Are you yourself while she was pregnant? Or do you get your mom pregnant?

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Beaten: Binding of Isaac
I've beaten the game 4 times now and gotten a bunch of achievements. But this is the original Flash version on Steam. I already know I'm going to buy Rebirth and Afterbirth, so I'm going to retire this game for now and pick up Rebirth next time it's on sale.

Nulled: Frozen Synapse
Love the concept, but couldn't get into it. Might try again at some point in the future.

Nulled: Swords and Soldiers
Cute game. Put in a few hours. I got my fill, don't think I need to continue.

Nulled: Wanderlust: Rebirth
Gave it a try. Not into it.

Dragon Age: Origins
Gave it a try. Wasn't into it after a few hours.

Sleeping Dogs
Gave it a try. Wasn't into it. I know it's supposed to be great but it just wasn't for me.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Since almost 500 of my 900 games on my playlist are under $1 in cost, I am going to go sort through them and decide which ones I don’t want to play. Most will probably be moved to the “for cards” section.

Anyways:

Big Journey To Home – Launches but the screen is garbled with graphics errors.

Space Run Galaxy – Fun, and had lots of potential. I planned on playing this game for a while, but the difficulty ramped up quickly, and the game has many features that feel destructive to traditional tower defense game-play.

Defend the Highlands – Another defense style game, but you control Scotsman and throw porridge and glass bottles at the Irish/Englishmen that are attacking. Used a lot of stock Unity assets and lacked general polish. If this was cleaned up it may have held my interest. Feels like a prototype.

Selfie: Sisters of the Amniotic Lens – The trippiest psychologically horrifying game I’ve ever played. It’s not scar per say, but the fact that you never know what’s going to happen next is terrifying to me. I wouldn’t say it’s worth buying, but I would say it’s worth playing for at least the first couple of puzzles.

StarDrifter – Shmup with bad graphical filters. It might be good without them, but I was to blind to tell.

Puzzles Under the Hill – Not a horrible game, really. Easy, relaxing jigsaw puzzles over a loooong looped acoustic guitar song. I played for 20 minutes before the puzzles were hard enough to make me lose interest.

Blaster Simulator – I somehow played this for 50 minutes. Not sure how, but I found trying to cheat the horrible physics fun. It may be the same thing that made complete several hours and most of the achievements in Bad Rats.

Mining and Tunneling Simulator – The game looks decent. Reminds me of driving crappy cars in GTA3. But the “Tutorial” basically says “dig a tunnel” and give you a mess of vehicles and no explanation of controls. The controls menu doesn’t have key binding options, so good luck figuring everything out. I didn’t feel like spending 15 minutes trying to learn it.

InevitableCheese fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 9, 2016

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Nulled: Tomb Raider: Underworld. Got this as part of a bundle -- I remember really liking Legend and this is a direct sequel to it, but what the loving gently caress, guys? It's been a long time since I've played something as buggy as this. The first part of the game requires you to pull down a door, and when I did, the door just broke but it wouldn't let me through. So I wandered around the level for ten minutes trying to figure out what to do before looking it up and discovering the door is supposed to completely break apart, not just get stuck in the frame. I reloaded and tried it again and almost the same thing happened. Third try the door thing worked, and the game crashed immediately after. The next level requires you to swim somewhere, and whenever Lara saw loving bubbles, the framerate dropped to like four FPS. loving hell. Then I manage to get through there and a simple puzzle requires you to place these weights on these blocks. I pick up a weight, drop it on a block, and then it magically goes flying away outside of the level. I reload, and this time the weight flies into the ceiling and gets stuck. A third time, and it tries to fly away, but sort of just gets wedged in the floor on the edge of the button, which fortunately depresses the thing and allows me to move on to the next weight -- but, what the gently caress, Lara is stuck levitating in the air! I tried to give you a chance, Tomb Raider: Underworld, but you are a cruel mistress.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Depths of Peril: This couldn't hold my attention for too long. I played and won two campaigns, averaging an hour each, and moved on. The ARPG combat is just kind of dull and the rival NPCs gimmick doesn't really compensate. Visually it's very cluttered as well. Just didn't grab me I guess.

Pixel Piracy: It's all right but kind of buggy and gets a bit monotonous and boring towards the end. I beat it in eight hours or so and feel done.

Tropico 3: Without the DLC. Aside from a host of technical issues that I had to contend with there is not much to say about this, as it's more Tropico and as such very much a known quantity. I might as well judge it by its soundtrack, and by that metric it is not as good as the first two games. Not enough laidback tracks to balance the uptempo festive ones.

And I gave up on:

Vangers: I have never, ever seen a more insane default keyboard control scheme. What the hell is even 'F24'? I'm torn on this game; on the one hand, I'm definitely into weird and obtuse games and I don't mind learning by experimentation. This is the kind of game that makes you submit to its non-conformity before allowing you to enjoy it. But on other hand, movement is one of the most important aspects of gameplay to me - if the movement controls don't feel good and fun, I am not likely to enjoy a game. The starting vehicle in Vangers controls like a tank, and the terrain is harsh and hostile. Put those together and it's a bit of a nightmare. That's certainly by design, but christ. After wandering around aimlessly for a while I checked the Steam forums and learned there is a compass and how to activate it. I made the first delivery, but halfway to my destination on the second I somehow ended up in a ditch and couldn't get out. I could reload the autosave and start over. Or I can shelve this. I imagine if this had quicksave I would try soldiering on, but without it I have to start that trip all over again, and it just doesn't sound appealing.

Feel kind of bad about ditching a weirdo cult-classic. Maybe I'll try it again some other time when I have more patience and less backlog pressure.

And speaking of the backlog, this latest batch brings it down to just 20. I wonder if I can get it down to ten by Christmas - I might actually allow myself to buy some new games if I do.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Here comes a huge batch!! (if you follow me on Steam you might have noticed I gamed for over 80+ hours the last two weeks...)

I'm gonna start listing my playtimes from now on

BEATEN: Wuppo (10 hr) - Fabulous wonderful creative silly strange and all-around great game, WITH ONE CAVEAT!!! (the Popocity grind)

BEATEN: Sideway New York (3 hr) - Somewhat average platformer with an interesting concept (you're a graffiti man and the levels are on the walls of buildings)

BEATEN: Frankenstein: Master of Death (2 hr) - HIDDEN OBJECT GAMES!!

BEATEN: Solarix (4.5 hr) - First person indie stealth game that really wants to be compared to System Shock and that's a bad idea because Solarix pales in comparison. the game is just alright but it is low budget, the stun gun only works half the time, and when enemies can detect you makes no sense at times (it almost feels like the light/dark system in the game is broken). also there's a level with a horrible framerate because they loaded an entire spaceship into memory

BEATEN: Monsters & Monocles (2.5 hr) - Twin stick shooter where you fight mummies, werewolves, aliens, as if Zombies Ate My Neighbors became a rogue-lite (sadly no objective where you rescue hostages).

BEATEN: Halfway (16 hr) - TBS set on a spaceship and going for an Alien/SysShock vibe. Combat is a little TOO simple and everyone misses way too often leading to frustration.

BEATEN: Win the Game (1 hr) - Prequel to Super Win the Game, Win the Game is a freeware Metroidvania on Steam with CGA (or EGA) graphics and screen-by-screen design ala VVVVVV.

BEATEN: Duke Grabowski: Mighty Swashbuckler (1.5 hr) - First episode of an episodic series that is very Monkey Island inspired. You play a big brute henchman who wants to become a suave heroic pirate. We'll see if they ever make a second episode.

BEATEN: THOTH (1 hr) - Unrelenting twin-stick shooter with oppressive music and excellent level design variety. Each level is just slightly longer than a Warioware microgame (and there's checkpoints every 4 levels). When you clear the game you unlock a Random Mode which seems like the perfect mode for this type of game.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 9, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

BEATEN: The Fall. Interesting dark little sci-fi adventure game, but really short and it ends on a cliffhanger. I...got attached to several of the characters so I'm sad it's over, and I'll be looking for part two whenever it drops, but - gameplay wise the game did not work for me. Combat was tacked on, and the adventure game logic puzzles destroyed the atmosphere for me. I was reduced to rubbing objects against each other in multiple sections, which isn't fun. So yeah, I broke out a walkthrough and finished it. Ultimately - a decent game. I got it for really cheap and had fun, so hey.

BEATEN: Invisible Inc, finally. Kind of. I had this already marked as finished but pulled it back out to go cheevo hunting and I had a blast - but now I'm burnt out again. I don't want to even look at the expert plus difficulties now, so back on the shelf it goes. I am quite satisfied, though, as I finished an expert mode campaign with the dlc enabled, and turned the final level into a ridiculously easy thing, even though it handed me one of the worst layouts for it I've ever seen.

So, uh, if you ever play Invisible Inc please don't play something like 4-5 runs back-to-back while also working on an endless mode run. I can't unhear "investigating!" - "must be my imagination" now. With luck I'll be ready to pick it back up in a few months, though, so I can step up to expert plus.

Phew, the shortlist of games I'm currently playing is finally down to...eight. Brigador, Everyday Genius: Squarelogic, GALAK-Z, Hyper Light Drifter, Paint it Back, Quell Zen, Stardew Valley, Train Valley. Three of these are essentially endless puzzle games that I work on slowly, I haven't actually put more then ten minutes into GALAK-Z yet, and Brigador is one of those games I'll permanently leave in there given how fun it is to boot it up for a quick whirl and here, so -

PLAYING: Hyper Light Drifter - really, really good weird zelda with combat that has the rhythm of Dark Souls. Is that a cliche to say? It's a good game but really hard and I'm still figuring out how to beat the bosses. This...might wind up like Shovel Knight where I make it far in and then shelve it due to not wanting to batter myself against the difficulty, but we'll see.

PLAYING: Stardew Valley - I'm screwed. This game is great and I love playing it in short bites as I chip off a day here or there. This might wind up like Brigador where I just abandon any idea of ever finishing it. Which is fine!

PLAYING: Train Valley - I don't know if I like this game yet. It's got an interesting puzzle mechanic, but I don't yet know if they're my jam. With luck, I'll dig into it and go on a puzzle-solving spree as I sort those trains. Without luck...I'll shelve it and pick out something more compelling.

...Egh, I need to set aside a category for games I'm really close to finishing but it'd take actual work to conquer those last few hours so I keep putting them off. Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge, etc.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Beat: One Finger Death Punch - I really liked the control scheme and the animation style was pretty good as well, despite the stick figure art. In some ways, reminded me of the old "xiao xiao" stick animations. Played this in one or two sittings and the time flew by.. though I did notice that the last half to third of the game starts to drag significantly. They stop introducing new gimmicks and game modes and just make the existing ones incrementally longer, and to me the levels started to feel "too long" around 100~150 enemies for mob battles, ~50 for timed battles. The distribution seemed to favor "mob battles" excessively as well. In a sense it seemed like they were trying to artifically stretch the length of their game, and it made it start to overstay its welcome. Also, some game mechanics seemed underexplained. Your character can have different fighting stances, but is there anything different about them? Different weapons behave differently when thrown, but they seem pretty samey beyond that. Opponents with weapons behave pretty much exactly like opponents without weapons, even when they have bombs or a bow and arrow. Your character can sometimes extend his attack range or dash around to do super combos, but I never figured out the triggering mechanism, which made it feel sort of random. I assume it has something to do with combos. The voiceover was straight up racist as well, which was a bit disappointing. In spite of that all, it was a fun and unique game... but I'm probably not going to go back to try the higher difficulties.

Nulled: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - I thought the first one was a pretty enjoyable, casual cart racer, but this one didn't seem as fun. I liked being able to play as Vyse or TF2 characters, but the stages felt more frustrating and less intuitive to get through... specifically, the Shinobi stage comes to mind. Some of the inclusions were downright confusing, like Danica Patrick. Tried to play through this one a couple times but it just wasn't for me. Clocked about 3 hours into it overall.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 11, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

dhamster posted:

Nulled: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - I thought the first one was a pretty enjoyable, casual cart racer, but this one didn't seem as fun.

I mean your opinion is your opinion but this is the most alien thing I have ever heard in my life, it is literally the best kart racer ever.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

dhamster posted:

Nulled: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

what the gently caress

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Is it really that good? Maybe I will have to give it another chance. I might be overlooking something aspect of the controls.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

dhamster posted:

Is it really that good? Maybe I will have to give it another chance. I might be overlooking something aspect of the controls.

I loved it! I'm mostly surprised that you preferred the first game. I think that's the first time I've ever seen that opinion.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

dhamster posted:

I don't know, at first I enjoyed it, and then I just lost all interest in it :negative:

I thought 'maybe I'm just tired of kart racers', but no; I could go 4 full cups of any Mario Kart right the gently caress now.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't know, at first I enjoyed it, and then I just lost all interest in it :negative:

I thought 'maybe I'm just tired of kart racers', but no; I could go 4 full cups of any Mario Kart right the gently caress now.

I've heard Mario Kart is really good, I've only played the Sonic one because it was in pretty low tier in one of the Humble Bundles and for that it can't be beat.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I played through a bunch of it and loved the Hell out of it, but then I started playing on the hardest modes and it just started utterly crushing me. I don't at all regret the ten hours I put into it, though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Part of it might hinge on how much of a SEGA person you are, and as I have been a fan my whole life, I basically never got tired of being Ryo and racing NiGHTS around the Burning Rangers level. I really love it so I would encourage giving it another shot, but I mean if it's not for you, it's not for you.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I could see it not being for everyone. There were some stages or events that straight up made me walk away for a while. I recently got back into it to see if I could unlock everything, that's when I realised the true meaning of suffering.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

It's been a while, dear thread.

COMPLETED: Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War I. A great RTS; there's a reason it's the most successful 40K game ever and spawned an entire franchise. The story campaign is above average, with the only real complaint being that it's mechanics are a bit rough around the edges; the developers were still getting a handle on them. Still a quality game, and you should play it.

COMPLETED: Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War I: Winter Assault. A very old-school RTS expansion: that means "like the base game, but much harder". I didn't enjoy it as much, because the last mission or two get murderously difficult; what with the endlessly respawning hordes and all. It's OK I guess, but you can probably skip this one unless you're really into the plotline of the Dawn of War series.

COMPLETED: Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War I: Dark Crusade. The best of Dawn of War I, this expansion really is amazing. A campaign that lets you play with any race you want, complete with special resource and stronghold missions, I finished it 3 times. The only complaint I have is that the campaign is maybe a touch too long, but that's a minor nitpick at most. Oh so very worth it.

COMPLETED: Titan Quest: Immortal Throne. I completed this one week before the Anniversary edition was released; I'm still annoyed no-one told me it was coming. As to the game itself, I don't see why it gets the attention and love it does. I found it to be a thoroughly generic ARPG, with uninteresting loot and boring combat. Maybe it was amazing by mid-2000s standards, but it has not aged well. I should probably take Grim Dawn off my wishlist, given that it's made by the same people.

COMPLETED: This War of Mine. The best survival game I've ever played, and I say that as someone who doesn't really like survival sims. I'd put my enjoyment of this game down to two main reasons: a really well-designed user interface, and a clear objective to work towards. It has a "ordinary people in horrible situations" theme to it, a bit like Papers, Please and Spec Ops: The Line.

COMPLETED: Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War I: Soulstorm. Ugh. I want to recommend this, as it's Dark Crusade but with more stuff, but I can't. First, and most importantly: There are numerous bugs and technical problems with this. One bug was so bad I had to do a full erase and reinstall. Second problem is that most of the stronghold missions aren't exactly balanced and playtested, so they're just pure frustration to play. You probably should avoid playing this, and I really wish it was better.

COMPLETED: Vampire Legends: The True Story of Kisilova. I blame you for this, Fart of Presto. I've been reading your thoughts on HOGs for quite some time, then Humble Bundle put out an Artifex Mundi bundle, and whoops 10 of these things appeared in my collection. As to the game itself, it's very peaceful and relaxing. I like how it's a very low-intensity adventure game, with none of the moon-logic puzzles or other bullshit I hated in 90s adventure games. I guess I'm a HOG fan now. :shrug:

COMPLETED: Total War: Medieval II. It's basically Rome I with a few improvements. Same interface, same suicidal campaign AI, etc. One improvement that deserves special mention is how all factions are basically on an even footing, compared to Rome which was designed as a game about the dominant power of the Romans. Worth playing.

COMPLETED: Total War: Medieval II: Kingdoms. I played the Americas campaign as the Maya, and from what I could tell this expansion is basically more of the same. Honestly, I'm not sure how much of my distaste for this expansion comes from the fact that I've more-or-less burnt out on the Total War series; it's going to take me quite a while before I can handle installing the next one, Empire.

COMPLETED: Mythic Wonders: The Philosopher's Stone. Artifex Mundi's HOGs are extremely good chill-out games; useful when, for a completely random example, the Total War series has been driving you nuts. I think Mythic Wonders is a little longer and more polished than Vampire Legends, but they're both extremely good. One complaint though: I saw a number of the same puzzles used in both games.

Next up: Bioshock Infinite.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

EightDeer posted:

COMPLETED: Titan Quest: Immortal Throne. I completed this one week before the Anniversary edition was released; I'm still annoyed no-one told me it was coming. As to the game itself, I don't see why it gets the attention and love it does. I found it to be a thoroughly generic ARPG, with uninteresting loot and boring combat. Maybe it was amazing by mid-2000s standards, but it has not aged well. I should probably take Grim Dawn off my wishlist, given that it's made by the same people.

Breadallelogram posted:

what the gently caress

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

EightDeer posted:

COMPLETED: Vampire Legends: The True Story of Kisilova. I blame you for this, Fart of Presto. I've been reading your thoughts on HOGs for quite some time, then Humble Bundle put out an Artifex Mundi bundle, and whoops 10 of these things appeared in my collection. As to the game itself, it's very peaceful and relaxing. I like how it's a very low-intensity adventure game, with none of the moon-logic puzzles or other bullshit I hated in 90s adventure games. I guess I'm a HOG fan now. :shrug:
Sorry :shobon:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Action Henk - Fun time trials game that feels a lot like Sonic the Hedgehog when you're really goin fast

BEATEN: Hammerwatch - I regret not playing this sooner. I suspect a lot of people have this and maybe either didnt have friends to play it with or forgot about it, but it's good!! Once you beef up your combo abilities, the game becomes really fun. As a rogue, my combos essentially turned me into Adol from Ys, just slaughtering dozens of enemies and blasting through a mob of a hundred enemies like a hot knife through butter.

BEATEN: Crowtel - Half hour free game on itch.io where you're a crow running a hotel!!

BEATEN: Skybolt Zack (also known as Skybolt Jack) ISART student game, an arcade action platformer built around a homing mechanic. It'll take you 15 minutes to complete and it's fun. Student games!!! yeah!!!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

EightDeer posted:

It's been a while, dear thread.

COMPLETED: Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War I. A great RTS; there's a reason it's the most successful 40K game ever and spawned an entire franchise. The story campaign is above average, with the only real complaint being that it's mechanics are a bit rough around the edges; the developers were still getting a handle on them. Still a quality game, and you should play it.

COMPLETED: Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War I: Winter Assault. A very old-school RTS expansion: that means "like the base game, but much harder". I didn't enjoy it as much, because the last mission or two get murderously difficult; what with the endlessly respawning hordes and all. It's OK I guess, but you can probably skip this one unless you're really into the plotline of the Dawn of War series.

COMPLETED: Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War I: Dark Crusade. The best of Dawn of War I, this expansion really is amazing. A campaign that lets you play with any race you want, complete with special resource and stronghold missions, I finished it 3 times. The only complaint I have is that the campaign is maybe a touch too long, but that's a minor nitpick at most. Oh so very worth it.
drat, you've been on a tear! Have you played the DOW2 series yet? They're very different but the campaigns are a lot of fun.

EightDeer posted:

They are based on the same blueprint, but Grim Dawn has much better combat imo and itemization is probably more interesting? I can't remember what TQ had but a lot of items in Dawn give you all sorts of bonus skills and procs and if you're big into sperging over character builds I think you can get real in depth.

EightDeer posted:

COMPLETED: Total War: Medieval II: Kingdoms. I played the Americas campaign as the Maya, and from what I could tell this expansion is basically more of the same. Honestly, I'm not sure how much of my distaste for this expansion comes from the fact that I've more-or-less burnt out on the Total War series; it's going to take me quite a while before I can handle installing the next one, Empire.
If you've only played the older games I'd say jump to one of the new ones instead of playing them in order. The most well received are Shogun 2 and the newest, Warhammer. The latter really mixes things up with how differently each faction plays and the metamap has been heavily streamlined.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah in Grim Dawn it's way, way easier to get a good build off stuff you find, to the point people have made builds based on one move or item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

EightDeer posted:

COMPLETED: Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War I: Soulstorm. Ugh. I want to recommend this, as it's Dark Crusade but with more stuff, but I can't. First, and most importantly: There are numerous bugs and technical problems with this. One bug was so bad I had to do a full erase and reinstall. Second problem is that most of the stronghold missions aren't exactly balanced and playtested, so they're just pure frustration to play. You probably should avoid playing this, and I really wish it was better.

It's a very hard game to recommend. I may be talking out my butt here but I've heard the problem lies in that it was outsourced to Iron Lore Entertainment. Relic was focusing its assets on Dawn of War 2 and Company of Heroes at the time (I think) but felt like they could squeeze one last sequel from the assets. Companies do this with franchises. Assassin's Creed: Rogue for example was made using AC3 and AC4's assets while the bulk of the work at the time was being done on AC Unity. But unlike Rogue who I believe used a smaller in-house team to develop it, Relic contracted Iron Lore to make it and they'd only made Titan Quest (First Player fantasy RPG) up to that point. Who knows what wires got crossed? Was it Relic executives meddling with a product they didn't care about? Was it Iron Lore being unexperienced in the franchise's wheelhouse? Was it just a bunch of little decisions that just didn't gel well together?