Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Also; what's this about "prequel fans" hating Rouge One and TFA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

It is kinda amazing how much better the original movies are when taken alongside the prequels. The way that the prequels inform and reinforce the original trilogy is just fantastic.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Phi230 posted:

No they are not. I dont care how many times you shout "canon" at me they are kids shows for babies.

Star Wars is not the bible, stop treating it as such

And yet, here we are, with you as the zealous one coming into this thread proselytizing against the "heathens" who enjoy all the Star War and seeking converts to your religion of hate against the prequels.

It's not the prequel fans who came and knocked on your door asking if you would like a Watchtower, you are the one standing on their porch ranting and trying to force the residents within to take your Chick Tract.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Equeen posted:

Please don't pretend that you actually care about how women are portrayed in Star Wars, especially after you dismissed the cartoons that have a lot more proactive female characters.

Who says Im pretending.

Plus a proactive woman character is good but its still in a loving childrens cartoon for babies not a film

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The OT is the Old Testament, the PT is the New Testament, the Legends EU is the Book of Mormon, and the new canon is Islam.

...I don't know where I was going with that analogy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Phi230 posted:

Who says Im pretending.

Plus a proactive woman character is good but its still in a loving childrens cartoon for babies not a film

I can't tell; are clone wars and rebels for children? Or babies?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

The OT is the Old Testament, the PT is the New Testament, the Legends EU is the Book of Mormon, and the new canon is Islam.

...I don't know where I was going with that analogy.
What does that make The Hidden Fortress? The Epic of Gilgamesh or something?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The only way to appease some people would be to make two separate threads, one for OT discussion only, and one where prequel talk is allowed.

This idea has been brought up a few times and its always rightfully denied because its idiotic. There are 6 Star Wars movies. If you hate three of them so much that you can't bear to participate in any discussion of them, well, I guess you'll just need to stay out of the Star Wars thread.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 28, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

All 3 or whatever of the kids cartoons that air on a network made for children are indeed media intended for children

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

The only way to appease some people would be to make two separate threads, one for OT discussion only, and one where prequel talk is allowed.

This idea has been brought up a few times and its always rightfully denied because its idiotic. There are 6 Star Wars movies. If you hate three of them so much that you can bear to participate in any discussion of them, well, I guess you'll just need to stay out of the Star Wars thread.

(7)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I tune in every day to Nickelodeon to watch Spongebob: Rebellion so I can zealously soak up every detail of the greater Spongebob universe

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Raxivace posted:

What does that make The Hidden Fortress? The Epic of Gilgamesh or something?
Sounds about right.

Phi230 posted:

All 3 or whatever of the kids cartoons that air on a network made for children are indeed media intended for children
Star Wars itself was made for children*, so this seems like a weird argument to take on the quality of something.

*Notice that "made for children" != "only appealing to children".

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

jivjov posted:

Babies and forum posters are subsets of the group "children."

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Phi230 posted:

I tune in every day to Nickelodeon to watch Spongebob: Rebellion so I can zealously soak up every detail of the greater Spongebob universe

Yes, you do come across as a zealot. The Westboro Baptist kind who protests funerals.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

This idea has been brought up a few times and its always rightfully denied because its idiotic. There are 6 Star Wars movies. If you hate three of them so much that you can't bear to participate in any discussion of them, well, I guess you'll just need to stay out of the Star Wars thread.

No. There is . . . another...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

You like Star Wars enough that you're in an internet forum going apeshit about it. You can go ahead and watch some SpongeBob if you want, its really not going to make you any more childish.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Did you see the latest episode of Spongebob? The one where Sandy got trapped by Manray? And he got defeated and helicoptered away?

This is amazing. I wonder if we will get to see this in Spongebob 8. This adds so much context to spongebob 4-6!!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Spongebob's epic fight scene in the spongebob comic really makes me excited to see his prowess in Sponge One: A Spongebob Story.

Really makes me fear him more seeing how adept at combat he is! Makes me more terrified of him in the original spongebob movies!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phi230 posted:

Spongebob's epic fight scene in the spongebob comic really makes me excited to see his prowess in Sponge One: A Spongebob Story.

Really makes me fear him more seeing how adept at combat he is! Makes me more terrified of him in the original spongebob movies!

If you haven't already registered your backup account for when you lose this one, Tezzor, now's a good time!

Do you think anything in Episode 8 or 9 will cause you to change how you view parts of TFA? Or does Rey's vision remain forever mysterious, no matter what happens in films that are made later?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

Do you think anything in Episode 8 or 9 will cause you to change how you view parts of TFA? Or does Rey's vision remain forever mysterious, no matter what happens in films that are made later?

Uhhhh, not unless we invent a time machine so that Episode 8 could somehow come out before TFA. Come on man, 2+2=4.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555 posted:

You're half way right, we do need two threads: a thread for discussing the Star Wars movies and a thread for not discussing the Star Wars movies.

"But wait," some of you may be asking, "aren't all other thread for not discussing Star Wars?"

No, those are threads for discussing things other than Star Wars. What I am proposing is a thread explicitly for not discussing Star Wars. It'd be a place for people who don't want to talk about the prequels, or the clone wars cartoon, or the ewok movies, to go and not talk about them.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

homullus posted:

If you haven't already registered your backup account for when you lose this one, Tezzor, now's a good time!

A sequels changes are good.

A prequels changes are bad

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf
May 5, 2011

So far there have been 9 Star Wars films: the OT, the PT, the Clone Wars movie, TFA and Rogue One ( included because unless the world ends soon this one is in the can).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phi230 posted:

Do you want to answer the question asked of you or otherwise engage with any of the discussion in this thread for discussing the film, or are you happy just repeating your mantra?

Edit: more to the point, was is your actual goal here? I kind of get the impression that you're hoping to convince people that the movies are bad and that we were all fools for not recognizing that fact, but you aren't really making any arguments in that direction beyond just repeating, "I don't like the prequels, they are bad." Is that the best you've got?

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 28, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Seriously though, how could anything in Episode 8 possibly change the way you see The Force Awakens? You've already said that's impossible because of the laws of physics.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

Do you want to answer the question asked of you or otherwise engage with any of the discussion in this thread for discussing the film, or are you happy just repeating your mantra?

Of course a sequel will make sense of questions presented, intentionally, in the previous film.

But to release a prequel 30 years later that fundamentally misses the point, is different and bad

False equivalences are bad

Sequel =!= prequel

Good sequels dont directly contradict source material either

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Of course a sequel will make sense of questions presented, intentionally, in the previous film.

But to release a prequel 30 years later that fundamentally misses the point, is different and bad

The prequels underscore the point of the originals. It's your fault that you don't get it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

The prequels underscore the point of the originals. It's your fault that you don't get it.

No they undermine the originals in a variety of ways

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phi230 posted:

Why is it bad?

Phi230 posted:

Sequel =!= prequel

Let me bring up The Empire Strikes Back again. It also contradicts the source material (the first movie). Is it a bad movie?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

I'm very interested in what you'd consider the point of the OT to be exactly?

I fully expect your answer to be something along the lines of "the point was for them to be fun space adventure movies" but I'd like to hear the answer anyway.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It has to be Tezzor right .

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

No they undermine the originals in a variety of ways

Please expand on this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

8!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

It has to be Tezzor right .

I think its more fun if it isn't Tezzor, so I'm just going to continue on as if its not.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Phi230 posted:

Sequel =!= prequel

The Empire Strikes Back contradicts the entire backstory of Vader and Anakin given in A New Hope. No one planned during the making of the first movie that Vader would be Luke's father.

Yet despite this, there are still a number of moments in ANH that are improved with this change in the story, even though they're entirely unintentional. Something not being planned doesn't mean it can't change our impressions of the original work for the better later.

(And if it mattered, I think an argument could be made that more of the prequels were planned during the making of OT than ESB and ROTJ were planned during the making of ANH. See the preface from the ANH novel that was posted earlier for one example.)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

homullus posted:

Clone Wars
Republic
Republic + Princess = ?
Jedi Knights
Senate
Emperor
Kessel Run
Womp Rat
Dantooine

Yeah, that Episode IV was pretty lazy!

Episode IV's points are are simple and basic.

Leia is a princess, representing the republic.

Ben fought in the clone wars long ago.

Han is a cocky a-hole who brags about a race or something.

Luke is a hick who shoots rats.

Imagine if the prequels were as simple and easy to follow.

Instead:

Tall Japanese spacefrog: IS THAT... REGAL?
Emperor, probably: I will make it legal!

What? Huh? How does signing a treaty make an invasion legal? How does a cloaked weirdo legitimize forcing someone to sign a thing, when there are bodies everywhere?

As best I can tell, TPM is predicated on a greedy bunch of aliens using a droid army they bought to invade and legally take ownership of the ... Naboo something. They intend to capture the queen, a democratically elected 10-year old. They do this at the suggestion or threat of a mysterious guy in a cloak who assures them he can get them favors or something. Or maybe he's threatening them. At the end, the greedy aliens lose because a little kid accidentally nuked their battleship. The surviving Jedi remarks that they will likely lose their trade franchise, whatever that means. Yoda and his black friend solemnly agree that a reappearance of a Sith is bad news, but have no actual plan. The Naboo make friends with the idiot water rabbit people, holding up a shiny ball of friendship. Nothing is really changed or set in motion, except that other greedy aliens agree this is bullshit and start a movement to secede from the republic, I think. Maybe. Little kid is being trained by surviving Jedi.

AotC: Weirdo in a cloak recruits another Jedi who was probably evil all along and waiting to be promoted, I guess. Meanwhile, the Jedi who survived the battle in the last film hangs out with kid who is older, and they hang out with the Queen President who is being chased by assassins. This leads the head Jedi to a planet, somehow, where he discovers a huge army of clones that someone bought or something. He fights the guy who was the map for the clone army, and follows him to a planet where little imps and robots are preparing for civil war, and they have the death star plans. More jedi show up, commanding the clones, and fight the greedy aliens and their robots. Evil Jedi escapes. All this time, the young Jedi and Queen President fall in love because they should, for some reason.

RotS: Huge space battle over the planet that's a city. Evil Jedi is in charge, and has a six-armed monster robot that is a huge deal that we've never heard of. Two good Jedi rescue their politician friend and kill the evil Jedi. Head Jedi follows monster robot and fights him for a while. Young Jedi hangs out with politician, and things happen, and decides to arrest politician, but saves him from the Jedi police at the last minute, then becomes his bodyguard. Then Yoda shows up and fights the politician who was the cloaked weirdo all along. Cloaked weirdo tells his radio to execute order 66, and the clones shoot their jedi friends. Young and old Jedi fight, old Jedi wins. Cloaked weirdo fights Yoda, Yoda runs away and decides to exile himself, old Jedi does the same, taking the Queen President's babies. Young Jedi becomes Darth Vader for real. Queen President can't believe he'd be Darth Vader and dies of a broken heart.

All of that happens because the plot says that's probably what needs to happen. Nobody does anything logically or reasonably - it progresses because the page numbers go up in value.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who would have thought the villain named "father" was the father.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Serf posted:

So far there have been 9 Star Wars films: the OT, the PT, the Clone Wars movie, TFA and Rogue One ( included because unless the world ends soon this one is in the can).

Is the Clone Wars flick really a film, or 5 episodes mashed together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

The Empire Strikes Back contradicts the entire backstory of Vader and Anakin given in A New Hope. No one planned during the making of the first movie that Vader would be Luke's father.

Yet despite this, there are still a number of moments in ANH that are improved with this change in the story, even though they're entirely unintentional. Something not being planned doesn't mean it can't change our impressions of the original work for the better later.

(And if it mattered, I think an argument could be made that more of the prequels were planned during the making of OT than ESB and ROTJ were planned during the making of ANH. See the preface from the ANH novel that was posted earlier for one example.)

Alec Guinness's body language in his hut in ANH was either spot on or a huge coincidence. I would like to imagine he was told by Lucas, "You're really uncomfortable with telling Luke about Darth Vader and his father. Maybe pause before mentioning his dad or something, like you're hesitating for some reason."

• Locked thread