Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Fun fact: we were gonna charge $35 a bottle for DBH extras until we saw Toppling Goliath charge $50 for their last release. Thanks TG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Fun fact: we were gonna charge $35 a bottle for DBH extras until we saw Toppling Goliath charge $50 for their last release. Thanks TG!

Holy poo poo! This guy's back!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

danbanana posted:

Hey Leafhouse, tell him about Huna Day '14!

I got there late, don't remind me :(

Apache
May 11, 2004

deadwing posted:

Same.

Between myself, my roommate, and my trustees, I'm gonna be picking up 11 bottles of DBH :stare:

I'll probably be picking up 8 this weekend between mine and trustees. Gotta wonder what the last one will be.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The 5th bottle will be a beer that contains just as many barrels as the 4th bottle.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

deadwing posted:

Same.

Between myself, my roommate, and my trustees, I'm gonna be picking up 11 bottles of DBH :stare:

iso...

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

:eyepop:

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
Decided this was the weekend to open and likely pour out the infected bourbon county variants. First was the barley wine, tried a bottle about 6 months ago and it tasted and smelled like vinegar, but for some reason this one was not as bad. Tasted kind of like a rodenbach with some bourbon barrel on it. Not what I was expecting and wouldn't seek it out but I actually drank the whole bottle.

Because I actually drank the drat thing I didn't make it to the last coffee, so that will have to wait for next weekend.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

DBH is worth $55. Well, b1 was at least.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

a worthy uhh posted:

DBH is worth $55. Well, b1 was at least.

A lot of people are worried that the 2016 batch of Hunahpu isn't going to turn out well in barrels, but I'm confident the barrels will work their magic.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

The Alibi Room had this stuff on tap tonight. "Juicy" is definitely a good word to describe it. I don't know if I can be more specific since I drank a lot of other beers too, but I definitely enjoyed it. It's kind of a nice middle ground between a pale ale and a stronger IPA.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! They used fruity hops, but the yeast is also amazing at producing and accentuating tropical fruit flavours. Even our lab trial batches using our standard low quality ingredients turn out tasting amazingly fruity. They have another trial batch using the same yeast in the pipeline that is currently around 8% ABV, so it will be interesting to try that one when it comes out.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

A lot of people are worried that the 2016 batch of Hunahpu isn't going to turn out well in barrels, but I'm confident the barrels will work their magic.

Correct me if I'm wrong but what goes into the barrels is the base stout (Zhukov?) and the adjuncts come later? I don't believe they take previous Huna and toss it in barrels.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

danbanana posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but what goes into the barrels is the base stout (Zhukov?) and the adjuncts come later? I don't believe they take previous Huna and toss it in barrels.

I have no actual knowledge of how they create these beers but the wording they put on FB, "You are receiving 2016 Hunaphu's. We age this beer for at least 6 months, until the beer takes on our specific flavor profile." makes it sound like they use pretreated huna.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

atothesquiz posted:

I have no actual knowledge of how they create these beers but the wording they put on FB, "You are receiving 2016 Hunaphu's. We age this beer for at least 6 months, until the beer takes on our specific flavor profile." makes it sound like they use pretreated huna.

Yeah, I think you're right. Their email states:

quote:

This iteration of Hunahpu's Imperial Stout was aged in both apple brandy and rum barrels, adding notes of spice, candied apple, vanilla and woody tannins.

I don't know why I thought it was the other way around. If only someone at the brewery were here to confirm...

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

Girl Love confirmed on TB - the batch of Hunahpu for DB Hunahpu was a separate batch than 2016 Hunahpu Day bottles.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

danbanana posted:

Hey Leafhouse, tell him about Huna Day '14!

Oh baby what a day that was. There's no better feeling than buying a backpack to store the clothing that got displaced by 11 bottles of DBH. The Hunah himself truly smiled upon me.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 27, 2016

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Girl Love confirmed on TB - the batch of Hunahpu for DB Hunahpu was a separate batch than 2016 Hunahpu Day bottles.

Yep. We've done it that way (for as long as I can remember) with every BA beer that also has a non-BA version. Brew a separate batch(es) specifically meant for barrels to make sure volumes are met.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
Going to be in Pittsburgh next week, any recommendations for bottle shops and bars? Anything I should be looking for? I will have a vehicle so if it's outside the city, that's fine too!

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Last time I was in Pittsburgh I spent most of my time in the Lawrenceville neighborhood. There are a handful of breweries on or near Butler street as well as some pretty good restaurants.

Breweries:
- Roundabout Brewery
- Hop Farm Brewing Company
- Grist House Craft Brewery (Across the river but only a mile and a half away from the other places)

A little bit farther south west down the river is Penn Brewing and Church Brew Works

For beer in that neighborhood, Bierport had a wide selection for consume on site or take out. I think there were a couple other joints too but i can't remember them off the top of my head.

A few of the restaurants on this street are also BYOB so look those up as well if thats your kind of thing. We ate at Morcilla and the food was great. Tiny portions but you can order a lot and not break the bank; we left full and happy.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

McGavin posted:

I'm glad you enjoyed it! They used fruity hops, but the yeast is also amazing at producing and accentuating tropical fruit flavours. Even our lab trial batches using our standard low quality ingredients turn out tasting amazingly fruity. They have another trial batch using the same yeast in the pipeline that is currently around 8% ABV, so it will be interesting to try that one when it comes out.

Cool, I'll keep a look out for that one. Brassneck is definitely one of the top Vancouver breweries. I think the only thing I've had from them that wasn't good was the Uncomfortable Silence collaboration with Dageraad.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Has anyone gone to the Shelton Brothers beer Festival before? I know it travels each year, but I wonder if it's worth the money or if it has just been a shitshow in the past.

http://www.sheltonbrothers.com/festival/

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Paul Proteus posted:

Has anyone gone to the Shelton Brothers beer Festival before? I know it travels each year, but I wonder if it's worth the money or if it has just been a shitshow in the past.

I'm going. I've heard lines are actually shorter than one would expect.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Paul Proteus posted:

Went to it when it was in LA and it was definitely worth it while really being not that crowded at all. There were initial crowds at the Cantillon booth but it was quick moving and easy.

Speaking of festivals, I'll be doing CBC next year and wondered if anyone has done previous versions to comment?

edit: CBC 2017

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 28, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Furious Lobster posted:

Speaking of festivals, I'll be doing CBC this year and wondered if anyone has done previous versions to comment?

I haven't done it, but all of my friends who have all said the same thing: it's the best beer festival in the world.

SF trip finally coming up for me this weekend by the way! I'm staying in the Mission and all I'm thinking so far are Toronado, Zeitgeist, and Cellarmaker... any specific events to do? (not doing Zwanze)

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

air- posted:

I haven't done it, but all of my friends who have all said the same thing: it's the best beer festival in the world.

SF trip finally coming up for me this weekend by the way! I'm staying in the Mission and all I'm thinking so far are Toronado, Zeitgeist, and Cellarmaker... any specific events to do? (not doing Zwanze)

Cellarmaker's line up is looking pretty drat good right now!

speaking of festivals, the early confirmation list for the RateBeer festival in January was posted: http://www.ratebeerbest.com/brewers-2017.asp

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005

atothesquiz posted:

Last time I was in Pittsburgh I spent most of my time in the Lawrenceville neighborhood. There are a handful of breweries on or near Butler street as well as some pretty good restaurants.

Breweries:
- Roundabout Brewery
- Hop Farm Brewing Company
- Grist House Craft Brewery (Across the river but only a mile and a half away from the other places)

A little bit farther south west down the river is Penn Brewing and Church Brew Works

For beer in that neighborhood, Bierport had a wide selection for consume on site or take out. I think there were a couple other joints too but i can't remember them off the top of my head.

A few of the restaurants on this street are also BYOB so look those up as well if thats your kind of thing. We ate at Morcilla and the food was great. Tiny portions but you can order a lot and not break the bank; we left full and happy.

I appreciate all of this. Also, I understand there's some crazy liquor laws to deal with.

I noticed distro gets a lot more expansive the further east you go. I'll be out near Scranton at some point. Am I likely to encounter any cigar city, tired hands, or any Russian River? I see its distro'd out in the area, but anyone know if this is actually a thing?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Avenged posted:

Going to be in Pittsburgh next week, any recommendations for bottle shops and bars? Anything I should be looking for? I will have a vehicle so if it's outside the city, that's fine too!

Just go to East End and buy all the Gratitude you can get your hands on.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

And send some cans to me.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Paul Proteus posted:

I've never been, but I'll be at the Friday session for it this year. Brewery list looks absolutely killer and I've heard it's not the kind of madness you'd expect from a beer fest with that kind of lineup.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

gently caress yeah

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Retemnav posted:

gently caress yeah

oh I might have to go to that..but that means getting there like 5 hours early right. Guys I bottle share with went to Green Man like 10 hours before line started.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Does this mean they finally got the recipe down after ~10 years of trying?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Sirotan posted:

Does this mean they finally got the recipe down after ~10 years of trying?

It's always been good, despite inconsistencies.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Avenged posted:

I appreciate all of this. Also, I understand there's some crazy liquor laws to deal with.

I noticed distro gets a lot more expansive the further east you go. I'll be out near Scranton at some point. Am I likely to encounter any cigar city, tired hands, or any Russian River? I see its distro'd out in the area, but anyone know if this is actually a thing?

Probably not that far north. Usually just Philly+surrounding burbs.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Paul Proteus posted:

Im strongly considering going since I could get a real cheap flight+hotel with points.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Avenged posted:

Tired Hands only distros kegs, and they basically only go to Philly.

Russian River basically only goes to Philly.

You can probably find some Jai Alai in WB/Scranton.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Captain Duvel posted:

oh I might have to go to that..but that means getting there like 5 hours early right. Guys I bottle share with went to Green Man like 10 hours before line started.

Their last couple of releases have not been as crazy as most, I got in line at like 8 for the last one and they had extras left. This one is a much lower limit it sounds like, though. I usually go up for the share the night before and get a cheap hotel room.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Retemnav posted:

gently caress yeah

:eyepop: looks like the Dragon's Milk Reserve flavors but with a way better base beer!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Tonight I worked on what is traditionally my day off, for the Goose Island Migration Week event. It was a crazy, complicated event and none of us (included the GI staff) had done anything like it, and it went off almost hitch-free. I got to drink a lot of Sofie and '14 BCBS, I ate a Matilda beignet dipped in foie gras butter and a Matilda ice cream+BCBS float. I made $400 and got a free t-shirt, 3 Migration Week glasses, a churchkey, and a six-pack of beer to take home. Those guys were a lot of fun, and on my day off tomorrow I'm going to two events they're hosting elsewhere in the city because 1. they're cheap, and 2. they're pouring VR at one and '14 Prop at another. Fuuuuck yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusaurusRex
Oct 18, 2005

air- posted:

Cellarmaker followed by City Beer Store is the best beer experience in the city and they are 300 steps from each other. City Beer Store is the best beer bar in the city and I don't think it is close.