Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Thanks for the proholetips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I watched a video of a silo for sale in Arizona and the silo was filled with sand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfjMHxSuL18

Im guessing it was filled by the Govt for safety reasons.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Also if hydrazine and N2O4 come into contact they will instantly explode.

That's a feature, not a bug.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pingiivi posted:

So basically in normal, not left for crazy dudes with too much money, use these silos would've also collected some water and they needed to be pumped out regularly?

One of the hardest thing with mining and tunnel building is what to do with the water. This was a huge limiting factor for pre-industrial mines. The romans had people turning huge hamster wheels to power pumps in some of their mines, but that was only economical for the most valuable ores. One of the most important uses of early steam engines was powering pumps for mines. Previously it was extremely dangerous and expensive to dig a hole below the water table. Most old houses with basements were designed to drain naturally just with gravity, but tons of modern houses all have pumps in the basement that, if shut off, would see the basement turn into a pool.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

One of the hardest thing with mining and tunnel building is what to do with the water. This was a huge limiting factor for pre-industrial mines. The romans had people turning huge hamster wheels to power pumps in some of their mines, but that was only economical for the most valuable ores. One of the most important uses of early steam engines was powering pumps for mines. Previously it was extremely dangerous and expensive to dig a hole below the water table. Most old houses with basements were designed to drain naturally just with gravity, but tons of modern houses all have pumps in the basement that, if shut off, would see the basement turn into a pool.

One winning strategy was to mine mountains. Mountains are great because you can dig (nearly) horizontal tunnels into them for drainage via gravity. Such tunnels are called “adits”.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Pingiivi posted:

So basically in normal, not left for crazy dudes with too much money, use these silos would've also collected some water and they needed to be pumped out regularly?

The control center, access portal, and silo all had sumps with automatic pumps. My first job in the Air Force was on a Titan II launch crew in Wichita KS.

My OSHA story from that era is when the large electrical motor that pressurized the fire suppression system turned on in the middle of the day. Unfortunately the pump bearings seized and the motor quickly went from smoking to flames pouring out of the sides. Luckily two of us were in the silo doing our daily inspection when it happened. I killed the power and emptied an extinguisher into the motor. It happened very fast and only afterwards did I think about how badly it could have gone wrong.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Fire crews used box-cutters to free man severely burned in tar spill

Once the scene was secured, firefighters split into three crews: one on the inside of the truck, another on the outside and one on top. They then set about cutting out a portion of the side of the truck to get at the inside.

As crews worked to free the man, they soon realized the more tar they removed, the deeper he would sink into the still-hot, liquefied layers below.

"Every time they would cut, he would drop a couple inches back into the stuff, causing further burns," Denysek said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/fire-crews-used-box-cutters-to-free-man-severely-burned-in-tar-spill-1.3779736?cmp=rss

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Pingiivi posted:

Why is there water in the silo?

Mods

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MutantBlue posted:

My OSHA story from that era is when the large electrical motor that pressurized the fire suppression system turned on in the middle of the day. Unfortunately the pump bearings seized and the motor quickly went from smoking to flames pouring out of the sides. Luckily two of us were in the silo doing our daily inspection when it happened. I killed the power and emptied an extinguisher into the motor. It happened very fast and only afterwards did I think about how badly it could have gone wrong.

So, you nearly had a deadly fire, caused by a fire suppression system? Bet the irony detector pegged out too.

I think it is such a shame that these facilities that cost $Unbelievable were left to rot.

They'd made great data centres - immune from disaster, natural cooling, lots of space for solar panels, own power systems, hardened landlines

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Immune from disasters other than fire systems catching on fires or a pump failing causing the whole thing to flood.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
For some reason I decided it was a good idea to completely change career fields and get a new job as an entry level Safety guy at a nuclear site. What in the gently caress am I doing :suicide:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Immune from disasters other than fire systems catching on fires or a pump failing causing the whole thing to flood.

Well, surely they just cancel each other out?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

spog posted:

So, you nearly had a deadly fire, caused by a fire suppression system? Bet the irony detector pegged out too.

I think it is such a shame that these facilities that cost $Unbelievable were left to rot.

They'd made great data centres - immune from disaster, natural cooling, lots of space for solar panels, own power systems, hardened landlines

There's been a couple of plans (including one from a company I worked for at the time) to turn Kingsway Exchange into a data centre. I mean it's absolutely perfect - centre of London, power and ventilation already installed, and ridiculously easy comms hookups, what with it at one time being the centre of the UK's international telecomms infrastructure.

The thing is it's basically impossible to make them actually safe to work in by modern standards. When you design something to be very hard to get into (including for radiation and the mutant survivors of the apocalypse) you tend to gloss over things like proper fire exits, and of course because they're circular tunnels you're actually pretty constrained about the kit you can put into them. So instead it just sits there.

Speaking of post-apocalyptic OSHA, the Kelvedon Hatch Secret Nuclear Bunker (conveniently signposted everywhere in the east of England) shows a pretty basic lack of foresight - the power generators were of course outside the filtered and sealed bunker, because big diesel generators in an hermetically sealed environment tend to shorten, rather than extend, the lives of the people in the room. Also to stop a crack in a single tank draining the entire thing, the diesel is split between several dozen tanks.

This means that once every two days some poor bugger had to go out into the radioactive wasteland and turn a couple of taps. Except the decontamination rooms were naturally all at the front door while the generators were all at the emergency exit, so you'd have to schlep, lightly glowing, through the entire base to go decontaminate.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I've urbexed a titan silo. P. cool would go again. Definitely a lot of opportunities to die though

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Speaking of post-apocalyptic OSHA, the Kelvedon Hatch Secret Nuclear Bunker (conveniently signposted everywhere in the east of England) shows a pretty basic lack of foresight - the power generators were of course outside the filtered and sealed bunker, because big diesel generators in an hermetically sealed environment tend to shorten, rather than extend, the lives of the people in the room.

We actually had a diesel generator set inside the silo so we could stay operational if the grid went down (or a not-too-close nuclear strike). It was large and loud and barely fit in the silo workspace. It was a very unpleasant thing to be near during periodic maintenance runs.

I kept this plate from my home site's diesel when the place was decommissioned. Six cylinders, 8.5 inch bore and 10.5 inch stroke.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
:nms:

Worker jackhammers into a 11,000V cable. The buried cable is not happy about this.

http://youtu.be/bpX3VHKAKak

The guy survives and walks, but make no mistake: I can almost guarantee he has third degree burns, not to mention other injuries. Neither of those guys' lives are ever going to be the same again.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

iroc.dis posted:

For some reason I decided it was a good idea to completely change career fields and get a new job as an entry level Safety guy at a nuclear site. What in the gently caress am I doing :suicide:

Stockpiling cash so you can one day live your dream of working full time at the local bowling alley?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Missile silos are the best place to make drugs!

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/wamego-lsd-missile-silo

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Three-Phase posted:

:nms:

Worker jackhammers into a 11,000V cable. The buried cable is not happy about this.

http://youtu.be/bpX3VHKAKak

The guy survives and walks, but make no mistake: I can almost guarantee he has third degree burns, not to mention other injuries. Neither of those guys' lives are ever going to be the same again.

holy poo poo it's like something out of a cartoon the way that guy's clothes are all black and tattered afterwards

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Read a little more into it - the guy jackhammering suffered serious burns on arms, legs, and face (I'm assuming second and third degree) and was hospitalized for a month. The nearby guy had serious burns on his face and neck.

Remember that the injury is caused by temperature over time per area - calories per square cm. The arc goes for a couple frames.

Aside: I have a Caregory 2, 12 calorie suit at work. Taking a car cigarette lighter, getting it cherry red, and holding it on someone's skin for one second is about one calorie.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

iroc.dis posted:

You'll be fine. I'm certain that it is safer than any other type of power plant. Unless you are working for something like a weapons plant in Russia, then RIP.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

iroc.dis posted:

It doesn't seem that hard. Look at the guy over in Sector 7G...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Three-Phase posted:

Aside: I have a Caregory 2, 12 calorie suit at work. Taking a car cigarette lighter, getting it cherry red, and holding it on someone's skin for one second is about one calorie.

This is good to know.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Olothreutes posted:

You'll be fine. I'm certain that it is safer than any other type of power plant. Unless you are working for something like a weapons plant in Russia, then RIP.

"THELMA GOT COOKED!"
"I SAID THELMA. GOT. COOKED!"

(Not a power plant but making fuel rods.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 28, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

"THELMA GOT COOKED!"
"I SAID THELMA. GOT. COOKED!"

(Not a power plant but making fuel rods.)

It's weird because making fuel rods is just like any other ceramic/metal processing job, the materials involved aren't radioactive enough to care about in any way so it's just regular old industrial work. Minus the insane tolerances on all the dimensions and whatnot.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Isn't that what they were doing in "Silkwood" or was that work with Plutonium?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

Isn't that what they were doing in "Silkwood" or was that work with Plutonium?

I haven't seen the movie, or really familiarized myself with anything regarding the actual plant, but wikipedia says they made conventional uranium oxide fuel as well as plutonium/uranium MOX (mixed oxide) fuel. There could very well have been some plutonium involved.

Oh, it says she was contaminated with plutonium. That answers that. I have some issues with the way the stuff is worded, you can't "become contaminated with radiation" because radiation is a one-and-done sort of deal. It deposits energy in you and then it's gone. You can be contaminated by radioactive material, though, and that material is simply "contamination" or a contaminant, depending on context.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 28, 2016

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrthMJkTFG4

SLOSifl posted:

Yes. Water goes down into holes even when they're not abandoned.

:aaaaa:

might as well just rename water to houdini

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Olothreutes posted:

I haven't seen the movie, or really familiarized myself with anything regarding the actual plant, but wikipedia says they made conventional uranium oxide fuel as well as plutonium/uranium MOX (mixed oxide) fuel. There could very well have been some plutonium involved.

Oh, it says she was contaminated with plutonium. That answers that. I have some issues with the way the stuff is worded, you can't "become contaminated with radiation" because radiation is a one-and-done sort of deal. It deposits energy in you and then it's gone. You can be contaminated by radioactive material, though, and that material is simply "contamination" or a contaminant, depending on context.

Neutron radiation can activate other materials. Get a good dose of neutrons, the sodium and phosphorous and calcium in your body can become radioactive, as can your fillings or any medical implants.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Neutron radiation can activate other materials. Get a good dose of neutrons, the sodium and phosphorous and calcium in your body can become radioactive, as can your fillings or any medical implants.

And this is why you do not gently caress around with neutron radiation.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Lone Badger posted:

And this is why you do not gently caress around with neutron radiation.

Although, really, if you get a dose of neutrons big enough for that to be a concern, you're probably dead already and the activated elements can be used to estimate the dose that killed you.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I love that we've not only developed literal death metals, those things can also poison your actual bones. Humans are the best at death

e:

Chard fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 28, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Although, really, if you get a dose of neutrons big enough for that to be a concern, you're probably dead already and the activated elements can be used to estimate the dose that killed you.

This.

External neutron irradiation is usually an issue because it causes substantial damage to you, not because it activates the stuff in your body. The elements in you are pretty tightly bound and are relatively hard to activate compared to some other more receptive elements. And the ones that you do contain are usually in low enough concentrations that you aren't at a major risk. Activating yourself is not easy.

In general when I'm doing dosimetry I don't bother trying to calculate that stuff. Usually people are just treated as water, with a bit of calcium for adjustment. Both calcium and sodium have less than a barn worth of cross section. It's not nothing, but it's also not the hundreds or thousands of barns in other elements.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm taking a graduate-level dosimetry course and one of the topics we're covering later is techniques for figuring out how badly people get hosed up in criticality accidents

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

stop ruining my radioskeletal fantasies

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Lime Tonics posted:

Fire crews used box-cutters to free man severely burned in tar spill

Once the scene was secured, firefighters split into three crews: one on the inside of the truck, another on the outside and one on top. They then set about cutting out a portion of the side of the truck to get at the inside.

As crews worked to free the man, they soon realized the more tar they removed, the deeper he would sink into the still-hot, liquefied layers below.

"Every time they would cut, he would drop a couple inches back into the stuff, causing further burns," Denysek said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/fire-crews-used-box-cutters-to-free-man-severely-burned-in-tar-spill-1.3779736?cmp=rss

[quote="The National Post
"]Horrified on-lookers called 911 at 7:37 a.m., after the driver of a moving five-ton truck — part of a two-vehicle road repair crew — braked hard to avoid running over a piece of equipment that fell from the front of the vehicle, emergency officials said.

“When the vehicle came to an abrupt stop, the tar washed up and out of its container and into the work area of the truck,” said Const. Clint Stibbe of the Toronto Police Service.[/quote]

http://i.imgur.com/Ip1Vg03.mp4

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 28, 2016

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

If you feel like going :stonklol: pick up a copy of Schlosser's 'Command and Control' which details a lot of nuclear safety accidents around a central discussion of the Damascus Silo Incident in 1980

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Damascus_Titan_missile_explosion

The book is a great read, but you will come away genuinely surprised that humanity is still not a floating cloud of atoms.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Speaking of post-apocalyptic OSHA, the Kelvedon Hatch Secret Nuclear Bunker (conveniently signposted everywhere in the east of England) shows a pretty basic lack of foresight - the power generators were of course outside the filtered and sealed bunker, because big diesel generators in an hermetically sealed environment tend to shorten, rather than extend, the lives of the people in the room. Also to stop a crack in a single tank draining the entire thing, the diesel is split between several dozen tanks.

This means that once every two days some poor bugger had to go out into the radioactive wasteland and turn a couple of taps. Except the decontamination rooms were naturally all at the front door while the generators were all at the emergency exit, so you'd have to schlep, lightly glowing, through the entire base to go decontaminate.
This is like UKgovernment.txt

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I just found the most unexpected warehouse and forklift in a random video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3mVnRlQLU

I am actually a little jealous of the storage space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

I just found the most unexpected warehouse and forklift in a random video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3mVnRlQLU

I am actually a little jealous of the storage space.

Great Scott!