Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Ceros_X posted:

Going to have to second the SF450, I have one and I have never once heard the fan spin up. SF 600 not as good, but unless you're going with an HD PLEX 250W with a Brick you can't beat the semi-fanless mode on the SF450

My Corsair Sf600 in the M1 has been silent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Only one vendor worth a poo poo selling small SFX PSUs with any capacity, namely Silverstone.

Given an hour to think about it, I think I should dehumanize myself and face to bloodshed and buy a case that supports SFX-L

Silverstone sfx are trash

Corsair does a 600w version

dema
Aug 13, 2006

The Electronaut posted:

Same. Fan stays off unless I'm in a game. And then, the GPU is louder.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Do the Corsair SFX PSU's come with a bracket to adapt to ATX? I'm also planning on building in a Fractal Nano and am going SFX just to give my open-cooler GPU some breathing room. Or does the Nano natively support SFX?

mega dy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 28, 2016

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Electronaut posted:

Same. The fan rarely even turns on. It's an amazing piece of kit.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

El Scotch posted:

Same. The fan rarely even turns on. It's an amazing piece of kit.

Tom's Hardware reviewed the SF450 and the SF600 and found the SF450 to be incredibly silent, even moreso than the SF600.

SF600:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-sf600-power-supply,4537-5.html

SF450:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-sf450-power-supply,4512-5.html

Very tempted to pull the trigger on the SF450 if that's the case. I've been meaning to finally ditch my ATX PSU so I can inevitably upgrade to an Ncase M1.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Tom's Hardware reviewed the SF450 and the SF600 and found the SF450 to be incredibly silent, even moreso than the SF600.

SF600:

SF450:

Very tempted to pull the trigger on the SF450 if that's the case. I've been meaning to finally ditch my ATX PSU so I can inevitably upgrade to an Ncase M1.

the Silverstone 600w has a weird rear end clicky fan and non-Japanese caps. Buy corsair!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I wish this discussion had happened earlier when I asked about power supplies in this thread.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

SF600:

SF450:

This is what I was referring to - the SF 600 is great, but the fan profile is a lot more aggressive and it turns on sooner than the SF 450 according to some. I have an SF 450 and like it a lot, but if I needed a 600w I wouldn't pass on the SF 600 for sure. I have literally never had my SF 450's fan spin (granted I am rocking a 750Ti but whatever).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ceros_X posted:

This is what I was referring to - the SF 600 is great, but the fan profile is a lot more aggressive and it turns on sooner than the SF 450 according to some. I have an SF 450 and like it a lot, but if I needed a 600w I wouldn't pass on the SF 600 for sure. I have literally never had my SF 450's fan spin (granted I am rocking a 750Ti but whatever).
:hfive: SF450 bros

Course I don't have a GPU at all :v:, but that'll have to change cause I think the IGP isn't fast enough for Pac-Man of all things (well Pac-Man CE 2). I asked in the GPU thread but figure I should check here too cause I have an M1, how's the EVGA 1060 SC, like anything I should be wary about cooling wise with it? I know I can fit a full size card but would rather have a short one just for more room to work with in the case. I was also thinking about a 470/480 at one point but it seems like the 1060 is better bang for the buck (even if I was hoping to go cheaper), runs cooler, and has more short card options. I know I can save a chunk with the 3GB version but I plan to hold on as long as possible so I'll spend the extra for the 6GB one.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

dy. posted:

Do the Corsair SFX PSU's come with a bracket to adapt to ATX? I'm also planning on building in a Fractal Nano and am going SFX just to give my open-cooler GPU some breathing room. Or does the Nano natively support SFX?

Mine didn't I ended up buying a Silverstone adapter when I built my small SFX rig.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The Silverstone designs are a bit old by now, some getting close to 5 years old. The 500W has the best reviews of the bunch and mine performs admirably. That said the Corsairs are new this year and should hopefully perform better. It really is surprising how polarizing goons are about products though. When I wrote the OP, the Corsairs were in short supply or ridiculously overpriced.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

I like my SF450 its so cute when i put it next to my bro's RM1000

oh also i have the mini EVGA GTX1060 in my ncase now and it's great but looking at it all put together I still can't help but notice that there's so much empty space

hurry up dancase and start selling at retail is what im sayin

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Smiles posted:

I like my SF450 its so cute when i put it next to my bro's RM1000

oh also i have the mini EVGA GTX1060 in my ncase now and it's great but looking at it all put together I still can't help but notice that there's so much empty space

hurry up dancase and start selling at retail is what im sayin

Check this case out. If you don't need a full length video card, there are more options out there.

https://hardforum.com/threads/hutzy-xs-ultra-compact-gaming-case.1894641/

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I thought I'd update that I am setting up a new system for my mom in a Silverstone RVZ02B case. She is using a laptop that is over a decade old, the fan inside is constantly running, and it's doing a good job of making GBS threads itself. I very much like the innovations in this case. My wife, on the other hand, what's something super duper tiny. She looked at that and thought it was outright humongous. She wants a tiny little brick. I am trying to accommodate her, but I think she wants something that is impossibly small. For one, I think she'd want an internal DVD/blu-ray drive.

I am thinking about it more and I think she wants something like this little Soltek Qbic she had a long time ago:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/74760-soltek-qbic-eq3901300p-mania

It's not what she is saying nor am I certain it is what she means, but I think a more compacted version of that is what she is thinking of. You could probably chop off one whole internal slot, which would flatten it down vertically. Is there something like that out there right now?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Unless you have a need for gaming or other needs requiring high end CPUs and GPUs I don't understand why home users would even need a custom build ITX. If the wife needed a desktop I'd build a NUC based PC and slap it on the back of a spare monitor or go buy some all-in-one shindig and make sure that it has an SSD in it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This is literally how iMacs got so popular - people don't want towers. I vote for a NUC or one of the smaller silverstone cases. I think the FT series are pretty handsome.

My old work legit used NUCs as PC replacements for their graphic designers. Photoshop / Indesign are within reach of a box the size of a large sandwich.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Or, you know, get her another laptop? Desktops, including even the tiniest of SFF builds, mostly exist to support large screens and/or high performance. If you don't need either, there's basically no reason not to go mobile.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

NihilCredo posted:

Or, you know, get her another laptop? Desktops, including even the tiniest of SFF builds, mostly exist to support large screens and/or high performance. If you don't need either, there's basically no reason not to go mobile.

She doesn't really need the portability at all. Well, she is still kind of stuck on the idea of having a permanent set up. I am pondering if she wouldn't just be happier with a Windows tablet that she can dock.

necrobobsledder posted:

Unless you have a need for gaming or other needs requiring high end CPUs and GPUs I don't understand why home users would even need a custom build ITX. If the wife needed a desktop I'd build a NUC based PC and slap it on the back of a spare monitor or go buy some all-in-one shindig and make sure that it has an SSD in it.

I was thinking I could set her up with a NUC, but she's hoping that we both use the same cases. Me, well, I just play a ton of Minecraft, but I mess around with 3d game development, so I need a good-enough graphics card. That screws up a lot of stuff right there.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Inwin BQ695 is probably the only answer right now. 3.3L and fits a slim ODD, come with a power brick style PSU good for 120W.

http://www.in-win.com.tw/Corporate/en/goods.php?act=view&id=BQ695

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Does anyone know the dimensions of the ncase m1 BOX? As in like I need to know if the box will fit in a suitcase alongside a bunch of other stuff.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

She doesn't really need the portability at all. Well, she is still kind of stuck on the idea of having a permanent set up. I am pondering if she wouldn't just be happier with a Windows tablet that she can dock.

I was thinking I could set her up with a NUC, but she's hoping that we both use the same cases. Me, well, I just play a ton of Minecraft, but I mess around with 3d game development, so I need a good-enough graphics card. That screws up a lot of stuff right there.

Doesn't the ncase m1 have a top slot load optical version? Another albeit bigger option is the fractal core 500.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Rekkit posted:

Does anyone know the dimensions of the ncase m1 BOX? As in like I need to know if the box will fit in a suitcase alongside a bunch of other stuff.
Just measured mine, it's about 8.5" x 12.5" x 15"

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This is sounding more like a WAF type of decision than a technical process at the moment so without more than just that one retro style case linked we probably can't make a case recommendation beyond functional ones.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

beepsandboops posted:

Just measured mine, it's about 8.5" x 12.5" x 15"

Thanks!

showdown
Jul 10, 2001

Smellrose
Has anyone had experience with a non-blower GPU in a node 304? I need to build for a casual gamer (SC2/source games) who needs a discrete GPU, but definitely wants a quiet machine. I'm a little concerned about heat already though...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H110I PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($35.74 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk X400 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $504.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-04 12:21 EDT-0400

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

showdown posted:

Has anyone had experience with a non-blower GPU in a node 304? I need to build for a casual gamer (SC2/source games) who needs a discrete GPU, but definitely wants a quiet machine. I'm a little concerned about heat already though...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H110I PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($35.74 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk X400 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $504.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-04 12:21 EDT-0400

Shouldn't be a problem with a 950, that case looks like it has good airflow. Go for it!

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

showdown posted:

depending on the timeline, the 4GB 1050ti is coming for $149.

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-strips-naked-for-unofficial-photo-shoot/

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have a 2 fan 970 and have had a 3 fan 780 in my 304 with no problems. The intake fans are a bit weak so I recently upgraded to some Noctua ones but my GPU rarely hits higher than 70c, and that's at full load with a radiator push/pull as the only exhaust.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you can get away with it, get her an Ipad or something. I mean, if she just uses webbrowsers and some programs that have App store equivalents, I would not even bother with a PC to be honest.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

showdown posted:

I have a 980ti FTW in the same shape and size core 500 with only a rear exhaust 120mm going through a corsair h60 and it runs fine if not overclocking. GPU is usually mid 70s when not frame capped.

showdown
Jul 10, 2001

Smellrose
Thanks for the good advice guys. I'll probably wait for a 1050 but will go with the rest of my build then, except with a shorter PSU - I think the modular seasonic PSU I picked was 160mm and would conflict with a longer card. I'll probably also just stick with stock CPU cooling since I'm not overclocking anyway.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I turned my PSU around and have the ports ok the right hand side, if you're looking down from the front. I saw zero difference in temps. Lot easier to manage the cables, and cleaner to boot.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DANCASE A4 is apparently going to be available end 2016, early 2017. Looks like they're even linking up with retailers (overclockers in the UK), so it's slowly becoming a real, actual product you can buy.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

well why not posted:

DANCASE A4 is apparently going to be available end 2016, early 2017. Looks like they're even linking up with retailers (overclockers in the UK), so it's slowly becoming a real, actual product you can buy.
I really liked the compactness of the A4, but I'm slightly concerned that in the a4 if you have one of those itx motherboards with a m.2 slot in the back, your red hot m.2 ssd will be sandwiched between the motherboard and gpu with no airflow. Plus I still use a 4tb mechanical drive to store decade-old data. And I still buy physical media, every now and then. So I picked up a ncase m1 instead. Now if they will only ship the drat thing...

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Shanghaied posted:

I really liked the compactness of the A4, but I'm slightly concerned that in the a4 if you have one of those itx motherboards with a m.2 slot in the back, your red hot m.2 ssd will be sandwiched between the motherboard and gpu with no airflow. Plus I still use a 4tb mechanical drive to store decade-old data. And I still buy physical media, every now and then. So I picked up a ncase m1 instead. Now if they will only ship the drat thing...

Does anybody know if the DANCASE can fit bigger GPUs like the MSI GTX 1070s in them? A friend of mine made the mistake of getting a MSI GTX 1070 with Twin Frozr fans and it wouldn't fit in his M1.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Does anybody know if the DANCASE can fit bigger GPUs like the MSI GTX 1070s in them? A friend of mine made the mistake of getting a MSI GTX 1070 with Twin Frozr fans and it wouldn't fit in his M1.

It absolutely will fit. In a Linus Tech Tips video, they stuff an EVGA Classified 1080 in there, which, at 150.88mm tall, is larger than the MSI 1070 GAMING card.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

As best as I can tell, it will fit. The A4-SFX will take cards up to 144mm measured from the bottom of the PCIe connector, and the 1070 Gaming X 1070 from MSI appears to be 140mm. These enormous cards are certainly cutting it close, and no one can really test since the case hasn't shipped yet, but right now it looks promising, if a bit close.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Out of curiosity, what are some good case options for a small file server? Or, in other words, which cases have the best [volume] : [number of 3.5" drive slots] ratio?

e: To be more specific, I might be interested in something that can hold 4 to 6 HDDs in as little room as possible.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

NihilCredo posted:

Out of curiosity, what are some good case options for a small file server? Or, in other words, which cases have the best [volume] : [number of 3.5" drive slots] ratio?

e: To be more specific, I might be interested in something that can hold 4 to 6 HDDs in as little room as possible.

Fractal Design Node 304.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 9, 2016