Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

ImpAtom posted:

You have no interest in that review because you're someone already familiar with Trails and it isn't for you.

Yeah, Trails enthusiasts aren't going to be turned off by "I didn't play the first part and I had no idea what was happening!" Whereas the people who might buy it based on good reviews probably need to hear "No, really; play the original first."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

smenj posted:

Fair enough for people unfamiliar with the series to jump in at SC if they've been given it to review - you can't exactly expect them to go play FC first if they simply don't have the time and their alternative is to not cover it at all. However, they'd need to put a pretty big note in their review noting they haven't played FC, because it's drat obvious during SC that knowing all the characters and such from FC is pretty important. You're missing a pretty serious amount of character development, certain twists and character reappearances will mean very little, etc. To not at least note that this probably had a reasonable impact on their enjoyment of the game would be silly.

good news, there's a note, of that exact thing.

quote:

Trails in the Sky consists of one story told across two games. I haven’t played the First Chapter of Trails in the Sky, and while I didn’t have much trouble getting up to speed on the story, the game did I assume I’d seen the first half of the story. I never got objective markers telling me where to go (which I actually appreciated, since it let me explore), but often, a character would tell me to go to specific place without much direction, assuming I already knew how to get there. This makes sense in world, since Estelle knows how to get around, but I felt like perhaps the first game had laid out where everything was and assumed I knew that already. So if you’re interested in jumping into this game, be prepared to play an entire other game before you can truly feel comfortable in this world.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
So, I know this game has a huge fetish for unwinnable battles, but (part 2 end spoilers) is it actually possible to beat Rufus? I got +3AP for bringing him down to about 20% before he did his S craft and one-shot everyone, but I wasn't even planning on that happening and still had people with CP and another Overdrive saved up. That seems like one of the scripted fights that you can conceivable win without too much extra planning

Edit: Act 1 end spoilers, actually. gently caress is this game long

hamburgers in pockets fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 28, 2016

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

good news, there's a note, of that exact thing.

Oh, fair, sorry! I was posting from my phone on the bus and didn't get to look at the review, somehow got the impression from the thread they hadn't really made that clear. I guess there's not really anything to complain about, then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hamburgers in pockets posted:

So, I know this game has a huge fetish for unwinnable battles, but (part 2 end spoilers) is it actually possible to beat Rufus? I got +3AP for bringing him down to about 20% before he did his S craft and one-shot everyone, but I wasn't even planning on that happening and still had people with CP and another Overdrive saved up. That seems like one of the scripted fights that you can conceivable win without too much extra planning
I might have just been unlucky, but the hit that dropped him below his s-craft threshold was a double str buff s-craft and he survived with what looked like barely a pixel of health, and when Angel popped off his 'i win' button I tried using another s-craft on him but it seemed like it did much less damage than it should have. Maybe the game makes sure he always had one HP left?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

I might have just been unlucky, but the hit that dropped him below his s-craft threshold was a double str buff s-craft and he survived with what looked like barely a pixel of health, and when Angel popped off his 'i win' button I tried using another s-craft on him but it seemed like it did much less damage than it should have. Maybe the game makes sure he always had one HP left?

Huh, whenever Angel proc'd on "this is an unwinnable battle" S-Craft from an unbeatable boss the boss just cast it a second time immediately on me. Maybe my Alisa was just too slow?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Endorph posted:

That's how CS1 handled unwinnable battles, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same case here.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/781152265747005440

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The end of Act 2 is complete nonsense and I can't stop smiling.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Went on a vision quest http://imgur.com/a/1e4eb

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Oh my god.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The puns, it burns. :D

These were just generic messages in the Japanese version, btw. like XSeed found a way to keep the chest messages tradition alive even though normal chests no longer give a message when reexamined.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Erpy posted:

The puns, it burns. :D

These were just generic messages in the Japanese version, btw. like XSeed found a way to keep the chest messages tradition alive even though normal chests no longer give a message when reexamined.

XSEED are wise.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I...don't get this one?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I...don't get this one?

Fie, Machias

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Motto posted:

Fie, Machias

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdrJTkzw0Vk
17:10

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Man, and I just edited that bit earlier today for my LP.

Now I feel dumb.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The cold steal one is still my favorite.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I really am tired of winning these gently caress-hard battles and getting "bailed out" at the end of every single one. Jesus, I'm about to fight what I think is the final boss and I don't think Team Rean has successfully beaten a single boss on their own merits the entire game.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It's okay you beat that one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

I really am tired of winning these gently caress-hard battles and getting "bailed out" at the end of every single one. Jesus, I'm about to fight what I think is the final boss and I don't think Team Rean has successfully beaten a single boss on their own merits the entire game.

I said it before CS2 came out but the one I hated the most if the one where you fight a random magical golem in the Nord Highlands and it is presented as a chance to FINALLY beat the enemy who gave you trouble in the tutorial and then... nope, it gets more powerful and someone comes along and oneshots it while your team panics.

That poo poo was just ridiculous.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I said it before CS2 came out but the one I hated the most if the one where you fight a random magical golem in the Nord Highlands and it is presented as a chance to FINALLY beat the enemy who gave you trouble in the tutorial and then... nope, it gets more powerful and someone comes along and oneshots it while your team panics.

Yeah, at some point you just expect that to peak and your team to come around and actually be badass but it just never seems to happen. I beat McBurn rather easily this morning, but no, game decides he's too strong and only Victor, a guy he's never showed any interest in can fight him.

I like the game but I mean drat.

e: it's just bad thematically because your dudes are set up with these rivals and never see any closure.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...That one was one of the only ones that did make sense. When the party is legitimately thinking that summoning in the giant robot might be the only way to actually win from the very beginning, and the other guy is clearly screwing around when said party doesn't summon the giant robot, it's probably not going to be a real win.

Also, what the hell are you drinking that you think he's not interested in fighting the Radiant Blademaster? They even had a confrontation during the intermission where he showed quite a bit of interest in that potential fight. And McBurn was never presented as a specific Class VII character rival anyways.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lord Koth posted:

...That one was one of the only ones that did make sense. When the party is legitimately thinking that summoning in the giant robot might be the only way to actually win from the very beginning, and the other guy is clearly screwing around when said party doesn't summon the giant robot, it's probably not going to be a real win.

Also, what the hell are you drinking that you think he's not interested in fighting the Radiant Blademaster? They even had a confrontation during the intermission where he showed quite a bit of interest in that potential fight. And McBurn was never presented as a specific Class VII character rival anyways.

He was positioned as a direct rival to Rean given their specific abilities. Whether it makes sense he'd want to fight Victor isn't really the point - it's just another in a long, long, long line of Class VII being incapable of standing against a named boss and having to be bailed out by adults.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I just did that bit, and it was annoying as hell. At the very least they tried to somewhat mitigate it by having the guy who killed it note that you had basically killed it, but hadn't destroyed the bit in the middle which apparently allowed it to regenerate, and all he did was destroy that part so it would finally die. Still, that's hardly much considering this is probably the tenth time or so it's happened.

It's especially irritating since there's several ways they can show off how powerful someone is without having the exact same scenario play out every single time. Maybe have your team actually beat the monster or person in question, then have a second person show up everyone's too exhausted to fight, allowing the badass of the day to come rescue everybody. Maybe even have the badass in question have a bit of a fight with the enemy instead of oneshotting it every drat time. At least if that were the case, you'd appear to actually have done something useful instead of essentially nothing at all. About the only time I can think it was done right was in the first intermission, where Rean basically escapes by himself, and is only rescued right at the end when his powers run out and he's obviously completely out of his depth.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Levantine posted:

He was positioned as a direct rival to Rean given their specific abilities. Whether it makes sense he'd want to fight Victor isn't really the point - it's just another in a long, long, long line of Class VII being incapable of standing against a named boss and having to be bailed out by adults.

No, he wasn't. He showed some slight interest early in the game, but even by the end of the intermission he wasn't particularly interested in Rean personally any more - though he did want to try his hand at taking on Valimar. Just because two characters have a similar source for their powers, does not mean they're rivals.

Rean's rival for the game was Crow, as should be incredibly obvious.

There are plenty of dumb unwinnable boss fights, but that wasn't one of them. Absolute worst was probably either the aforementioned Nord Highlands fight, or the fight against Bleublanc and Duvalie. Specifically the latter. This is a character who gives no impression of ever holding back and YOU'VE ALREADY LEGITIMATELY BEATEN THEM ONCE far earlier in the game, and they suddenly pull out a DBZ power up out of nowhere.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm mad at how long it took me to figure out that Sara is the best dodge-tank.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Is there a source for the claim that cs1 and 2 were planned as one game and then stretched into two due to massive production issues or is that all rumor

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Lord Koth posted:

No, he wasn't. He showed some slight interest early in the game, but even by the end of the intermission he wasn't particularly interested in Rean personally any more - though he did want to try his hand at taking on Valimar. Just because two characters have a similar source for their powers, does not mean they're rivals.

There are plenty of dumb unwinnable boss fights, but that wasn't one of them. Absolute worst was probably either the aforementioned Nord Highlands fight, or the fight against Bleublanc and Duvalie. Specifically the latter. This is a character who gives no impression of ever holding back and YOU'VE ALREADY LEGITIMATELY BEATEN THEM ONCE far earlier in the game, and they suddenly pull out a DBZ power up out of nowhere.

To be fair, it's mentioned several times that that character's strength is about equal to an enforcer's and the fact that she isn't has nothing to do with her combat prowess.

Really Pants posted:

I'm mad at how long it took me to figure out that Sara is the best dodge-tank.

I've frequently used her like one too. She doesn't get the native 30% evade boost that Fie and Sharon have, but her self-buff means she can be under insight-status constantly and since it also boosts her attack, her counterattacks smart more than Fie's.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Erpy posted:

To be fair, it's mentioned several times that that character's strength is about equal to an enforcer's and the fact that she isn't has nothing to do with her combat prowess.

I've frequently used her like one too. She doesn't get the native 30% evade boost that Fie and Sharon have, but her self-buff means she can be under insight-status constantly and since it also boosts her attack, her counterattacks smart more than Fie's.

True, but Enforcer combat strength can vary quite a bit. Joshua was an Enforcer, but has been called out multiple times that in direct confrontations he wasn't particularly strong. And though I'm sure her strength is geared far more towards direct combat she's still definitely not on Loewe's level, for instance.

Like, I'm fairly confident McBurn going all-out could singlehandedly crush the individuals making up every single other boss fight in the entire dungeon, barring the actual final boss, and possibly Ordine as well.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

See I actually kind of liked that one. Duvalie wasn't just arbitrarily holding back because reasons like everyone else, she was trying her hardest, failed miserably, and then just got really really mad and tried even harder. It's silly and cheesy for sure, but not really frustrating.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lord Koth posted:

Characters can have more than one rival. "You are like me" is a really classic setup for rivalry and it's dumb that they didn't do something with that, specifically. But since the game basically did that with every single boss up to the final one it's not particularly egregious as an example, it's just the freshest one to me right now.

e: the Duvalie one is way worse, IMO. It's a good game but it just wastes these story beats with "they are too powerful for us" all the way to the end of the game.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 29, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Erpy posted:

the native 30% evade boost that Fie and Sharon have

What's this now? I never noticed any extra 30% in their stats.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Sara is really good. She has sits in this area between Fie and Laura; she's fast, dodges well and hits really hard, has an ability to gather enemies (that doesn't put her in the middle of a pack). My combat party is Rean-Sara and Fie-Laura with Emma (Moebius quartz) and maybe Jusis in reserve.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Really Pants posted:

What's this now? I never noticed any extra 30% in their stats.

It's not hidden or anything, they just naturally start at 30% before equipment and quartz.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Levantine posted:

Characters can have more than one rival. "You are like me" is a really classic setup for rivalry and it's dumb that they didn't do something with that, specifically. But since the game basically did that with every single boss up to the final one it's not particularly egregious as an example, it's just the freshest one to me right now.

e: the Duvalie one is way worse, IMO. It's a good game but it just wastes these story beats with "they are too powerful for us" all the way to the end of the game.

Altina is an example of one that just loses in every boss fight she's in. Even in Act 1 this happens, with the other person in that fight being the relevant one. She's in no way on the same power level as the rest of the bosses.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Cyouni posted:

Altina is an example of one that just loses in every boss fight she's in. Even in Act 1 this happens, with the other person in that fight being the relevant one. She's in no way on the same power level as the rest of the bosses.

She never really busts out a power boost after her fights though, she just escapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't know if I can play through CS1 any faster than I already am, but all these drat black boxes are making me go crazy.

Not complaining, mind you; I'm the one who got started on it way too late. But I feel like I'll have to go back and re-read the thread after I finally get to/past CS2.:tinfoil: