Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Der Shovel posted:

it's nice to see proper journalists doing their jobs.

Not sure I agree. Its one thing to uncover corruption that is happening and another thing entirely to manufacture it yourself purely to sell papers. What they did was akin to inviting Gazza out for a drink and then plastering ALKY GAZZA FALLS OFF WAGON all over the front page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Star Error posted:

Not sure I agree. Its one thing to uncover corruption that is happening and another thing entirely to manufacture it yourself purely to sell papers. What they did was akin to inviting Gazza out for a drink and then plastering ALKY GAZZA FALLS OFF WAGON all over the front page.

Yeah, there is a sense of entrapment to it.

It's like that News of the World Sheikh that used to meet with royals and politicians for headlines.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The moment they asked anything dodgy he should have left. anyway i think we can all agree with ronnie o'sullivan

https://twitter.com/ronnieo147/status/781029131492421632

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

The moment they asked anything dodgy he should have left. anyway i think we can all agree with ronnie o'sullivan

Ha "break"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Blue Star Error posted:

What they did was akin to inviting Gazza out for a drink and then plastering ALKY GAZZA FALLS OFF WAGON all over the front page.

I'm not sure I agree with that in return! If anyone were to do that to Gazza or some other alcoholic (or people with other addictions) that would be immoral and deplorable. They would be intentionally preying on a weakness, which is not quite what happened with Harry, IMO.

I mean, yeah, there's an element of entrapment here, but Harry is just as capable as anyone else of saying "nope, not doing that, this is dodgy as gently caress, sorry lads" and walking out. Probably even moreso because as the England manager he should be financially well off and not actually in desperate need of money. It may not be lily white as far as morals go, but it's also interesting to hear how many bites they got, which could indicate a widespread issue of corruption in sport.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

a loving pint of wine

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Or it could be beer.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
what loving beer looks like that?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

It might be a Koppaberg or similar? There's no way it's wine

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I want to believe that Sam chugs down Blossom Hill by the pint.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

JFairfax posted:

what loving beer looks like that?

Heineken, Stella, any other light pissy beer that Big Sam would drink.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it's def a pint of wine

Shrapnig posted:

Heineken, Stella, any other light pissy beer that Big Sam would drink.

it's the wrong colour for those, they're still amber beers whereas that glass is definitely the shade of a nice pint of sauvignon blanc

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Jose posted:

Agreed

Tony Blair for England manager

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hes got experience defanging the opposition in away ties and handling the English press, might want to hope you don't get matched with the US once the World Cup rolls around though as he'll probably throw

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I hope Wenger gets the job the end of the season

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Someone asked one of the Telegraph hacks what he was drinking, and apparently it was in fact a pint of wine.

I think he just couldn't be arsed to wait for a wine glass and poured the bottle into his empty pint instead.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Hes got experience defanging the opposition in away ties and handling the English press, might want to hope you don't get matched with the US once the World Cup rolls around though as he'll probably throw

Unfortunately for when he destroys the opposition and leaves them in ruins, ICC can prosecute him for war crimes this time

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Blue Star Error posted:

Ninpo posted:

Yeah, there is a sense of entrapment to it.

It's like that News of the World Sheikh that used to meet with royals and politicians for headlines.

There's no entrapment here. For one, Sam hasn't broken any laws. Two, entrapment means you make someone do something they wouldn't already have done - nobody forced Sam to go to these meetings (and in fact several other managers said no), and he said he did this "for his friend". Everything The Telegraph has presented suggests that, if this had been a genuine meeting, Sam would have acted in precisely the same way. That's why he lost his job.

The comparison with Gazza is misleading as well, he has a well known medical issue that the paper would be exploiting. Greed isn't a medical condition. Basically, this:

Der Shovel posted:

I'm not sure I agree with that in return! If anyone were to do that to Gazza or some other alcoholic (or people with other addictions) that would be immoral and deplorable. They would be intentionally preying on a weakness, which is not quite what happened with Harry, IMO.

I mean, yeah, there's an element of entrapment here, but Harry is just as capable as anyone else of saying "nope, not doing that, this is dodgy as gently caress, sorry lads" and walking out. Probably even moreso because as the England manager he should be financially well off and not actually in desperate need of money. It may not be lily white as far as morals go, but it's also interesting to hear how many bites they got, which could indicate a widespread issue of corruption in sport.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Skinty McEdger posted:

Someone asked one of the Telegraph hacks what he was drinking, and apparently it was in fact a pint of wine.

I think he just couldn't be arsed to wait for a wine glass and poured the bottle into his empty pint instead.

thankyou!

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Skinty McEdger posted:

No I really hope he actually ordered a point of wine.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Hah yes I hadn't considered the fact the wine would be self served. Reason alone to sack him

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Its not legally entrapment but who cares? We're not putting him on trial. The point is we all knew he was a bit dodgy, we didn't need the telegraph to dress up like Chinamen to find this out. Gazza can't resist a drink, Big Sam can't resist a bung, these are not revelations.

This wasn't a brave piece of investigative journalism, we're not living in a safer, less corrupt and more transparent world thanks to the telegraph, it was done purely to cause a scandal because England team scandals sell papers.

We should give Joe Kinnear the job at least he'll tell the press to gently caress off.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is bringing home to me what it is we've lost. A man that goes to a restaurant and necks an industrial quantity of Hardy's from a completely inappropriate drinking vessel is the sort of man that English footballers can respect.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Blue Star Error posted:

Its not legally entrapment but who cares? We're not putting him on trial. The point is we all knew he was a bit dodgy, we didn't need the telegraph to dress up like Chinamen to find this out. Gazza can't resist a drink, Big Sam can't resist a bung, these are not revelations.

This wasn't a brave piece of investigative journalism, we're not living in a safer, less corrupt and more transparent world thanks to the telegraph, it was done purely to cause a scandal because England team scandals sell papers.

We should give Joe Kinnear the job at least he'll tell the press to gently caress off.

I disagree entirely. Apart from the fact that this investigation was started months prior to Sam being given the England job, it's exposing the corruption in the Premier League and the national team. Of course it's not the most pressing need we have but I for one don't want an England manager who's happy taking cash on the side.

I'm finding it difficult to work out how you're drawing your conclusion that this was done purely to cause a scandal. Nobody investigates corruption to sweep it under the rug and forget about it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

peanut- posted:

This is bringing home to me what it is we've lost. A man that goes to a restaurant and necks an industrial quantity of Hardy's from a completely inappropriate drinking vessel is the sort of man that English footballers can respect.

its so big sam its amazing. reminder that big sam's villa on the costa blanca is actually called Big Sam's villa

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

EvilHawk posted:

Nobody investigates corruption to sweep it under the rug and forget about it.

Let me tell you about a little organization called FIFA...

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

EvilHawk posted:

I disagree entirely. Apart from the fact that this investigation was started months prior to Sam being given the England job, it's exposing the corruption in the Premier League and the national team. Of course it's not the most pressing need we have but I for one don't want an England manager who's happy taking cash on the side.

I'm finding it difficult to work out how you're drawing your conclusion that this was done purely to cause a scandal. Nobody investigates corruption to sweep it under the rug and forget about it.

They manufactured a scandal. Not sure what you're missing about this. All we learned is that some managers will be willing to discuss shady consulting services when you trick them to come to a restaurant with promises of motivational speaking gigs.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

EvilHawk posted:

I didn't realise this was done pre-England job that does change things.

Its done to cause a scandal because they aren't investigating corruption that is happening, they are making up their own imaginary potential corruption and seeing who bites. No corruption has actually happened, all we've found out is that Big Sam would hypothetically do something a bit dodgy for money, we knew that already, but they can't print "we knew that already" and get the England manager sacked and sell a load of papers.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Not really true BSE, the initial conversations revealed past practices

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Big Sam should have been smarter, if he couldn't be smarter his loving agent should have had some words of caution.

It's not just the fact that he was willing to do a potentially dodgy deal, he offered to help get around a key rule of the FA's and called it ridiculous or watever.

He acted in a way that was totally not befitting of an England manager and it is entirely his fault.

At any point he could have left or told them to gently caress off. Instead he got pissed with them, slagged off everyone he could and looked to line his own pockets.

Yes it's a bit of a setup but Big Sam ran head first into it and there was no need to.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Just popping in to say: Get hosed, Sam.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Blue Star Error posted:

I didn't realise this was done pre-England job that does change things.

Its done to cause a scandal because they aren't investigating corruption that is happening, they are making up their own imaginary potential corruption and seeing who bites. No corruption has actually happened, all we've found out is that Big Sam would hypothetically do something a bit dodgy for money, we knew that already, but they can't print "we knew that already" and get the England manager sacked and sell a load of papers.

Ah yes, the classic "this was a one off!" defence.

Sam has done this before, he was willing to do it now, and almost certainly he would continue to do it in the future.

Also, they are investigating corruption that is happening. They released a story yesterday alleging at least four current managers are similarly corrupt.

blue footed boobie posted:

They manufactured a scandal. Not sure what you're missing about this. All we learned is that some managers will be willing to discuss shady consulting services when you trick them to come to a restaurant with promises of motivational speaking gigs.

He wasn't tricked into going to the restaurant. He said he did it to help his friend, and he has been accused of doing the same with agents in the past. He wasn't lured there under false pretences.

I'm finding it bizarre that people are treating Sam as if he's been conned. He knew exactly what he was doing, the only thing he's sorry about is that he got caught.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Cardiff City football club launched an investigation into a player transfer after auditors discovered evidence of unexplained payments, The Daily Telegraph has learnt.

A loan deal involving Cardiff and West Ham United, who were managed by Sam Allardyce at the time, was examined after questions were raised over fees relating to the deal.

An agent is understood to have told the club that a payment had been agreed with Allardyce over the loan of Ravel Morrison, who moved to the Welsh club from West Ham in 2014.

The agent involved is understood to be Pino Pagliara, who is banned from conducting transfers and often uses an intermediary to conduct his transfer business. The allegations prompted Cardiff to launch an investigation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/27/exclusive-cardiff-held-inquiry-into-deal-with-sam-allardyces-wes/

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

The FA is a corrupt horrible organisation and anything that fleeces them out of more money and more years of failure for the national team is good in my book, so Big Sam is a good lad

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

JFairfax posted:

I hope Wenger gets the job the end of the season

Big Sam getting the sack, four games of Southgate and then Wenger? Pissflaps dead due to rage induced heart attack

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Why would wenger take the england job??

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

Big Sam getting the sack, four games of Southgate and then Wenger? Pissflaps dead due to rage induced heart attack

I thought he already died when Corbyn stayed on as Labour leader

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

National team job should just be a part-time gig for a real manager. No reason why they need somebody working year round

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
E: Wrong thread but most modern attempts by managers to coach both club and NT seem to end in various degrees of tepid failure is my impression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Troy Queef posted:

I thought he already died when Corbyn stayed on as Labour leader

sadly not