Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yikes. Nintendo had the charge cable issue, but every 3DS came with a 2GB card.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what killed the vita was the dumb overpriced memory cards, imo

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

twas titty killed the beast

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

what killed the vita was the dumb overpriced memory cards, imo

I think it was the combination of a lot of things but the memory card situation was the biggest one, yea

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I know it isn't a factor but you guys surely are forgetting the 3G version. Carrier lock, no online play capability and retarded 3g pricing plans

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Titty is basically an IV of fluids for the Vita in palliative care right now.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I've spoken with the mods, and the "titty" meme is now banned in this thread.

Thank you.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It'd be interesting to see how things would've went if they had kept trying to push stuff like Uncharted Vita for a little while longer (maybe a portable Bioshock/Infamous or something)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

It'd be interesting to see how things would've went if they had kept trying to push stuff like Uncharted Vita for a little while longer (maybe a portable Bioshock/Infamous or something)

Maybe if they had offered them at a price that anyone wanted to pay for a handheld

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

those games don't sell well enough to validate the handheld's existence

see: psp, vita

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Focusing on those sorts of games is part of what sunk it, imo. Ports of old console games and handheld takes on existing IPs can sell, but you need original titles well-suited to a handheld (Pokemon, Monster Hunger) to really move hardware.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 28, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Maybe if they had offered them at a price that anyone wanted to pay for a handheld

Weren't they like 40 dollars? That's pretty in-line with handheld pricing.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i kinda feel like there isn't enough demand for those sorta mini AAA games to actually support an install base and make up their relatively high budgets compared to random B tier JRPG, but that's just speculation.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Motto posted:

Focusing on those sorts of games are part of what sunk it, imo. Ports of old console games and handheld versions of existing IPs can sell well, but you need original titles well-suited to a handheld (Pokemon, Monster Hunger) to really move hardware.

yea. you buy a ps3/4 to play uncharted, not a vita. I'm sure they sold ok to people that already bought into the platform, but they didn't move the system itself. that's a problem and why it never took off

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

I've spoken with the mods, and the "titty" meme is now banned in this thread.

Thank you.

what about tiddy

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I will withdraw my application to replace andrew house as sony video game ceo - i'm sorry

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

In Training posted:

Weren't they like 40 dollars? That's pretty in-line with handheld pricing.

I meant the consoles, the price of Vita games is pretty in-line with the 3DS

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
The titty meme died on it's own, love live baps

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

They made a Call of Duty and Asassin's Creed bundle for Christmas 2012 and sold it at $199 ($179 on Amazon Black Friday lightning Deal)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/16/exclusive-black-friday-deals-for-ps3-and-ps-vita/

Of course as soon as that sold out, you were back to $300 to just play one game.

E: Two months later Nintendo would say "Pokemon" and the handheld war ended.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 28, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think it was Pokemon that did it (I really doubt anybody was buying a Vita expecting a Pokemon game to show up on it somehow) but I have to imagine Monster Hunter jumping platforms was huge. Karmic retribution for when Sony got final fantasy to jump to the PS1

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

in japan maybe but monster hunter's not that big outside of its home country

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Vita was expensive and poorly supported which only cycled into being moreso. Nintendo handhelds can rely on, at minimum, Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda which are three of the most-proven selling game franchises in existence. Sony, for good or ill, just doesn't have anything like that. The best they've got is maybe Uncharted and the Uncharted game didn't have the impact they wanted.

It also ran into the problem of losing third party support that the PSP had. Square-Enix strongly supported the PSP with a ton of exclusive games. The Vita had not a drat thing. Monster Hunter is another big example. of one they lost. No real Konami support either while Konami had multiple exclusive PSP Metal Gear games. They got a lot of cheap low-budget ports but that stuff isn't driving a lot of people.

So no real strong first or third party support, which in turn made people not want to support it, which in turn lead to the biggest release it has in a month being like frigging Criminal Girls.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I wanna say a 32 gig card was $70 or $80? and I couldn't bring myself to buy one. So I was stuck with my 4. Less space, less desire to buy games, vita ded.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In Training posted:

I don't think it was Pokemon that did it (I really doubt anybody was buying a Vita expecting a Pokemon game to show up on it somehow) but I have to imagine Monster Hunter jumping platforms was huge. Karmic retribution for when Sony got final fantasy to jump to the PS1

I meant that as an example of a handheld-focused IP that moved units for its respective platforms. the vita lacked those, having lost large pillars of support in the generational transition as you and impatom said.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The dragon quest builders demo was pretty nice. It stops just before opening up the usage of tools, but theoretically you could build up your mud city forever. I kept finding myself trying to press Minecraft buttons though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo Vita would have been a success if it wasn't for high price and the (still) inexcusable price for their stupid proprietary memory cards. Then they finaly made it affordable and loving abandoned it shortly after. Or hey maybe make some more games for it?

That Sony exec is an idiot. Almost Everything about the Vita's failure is Sony's fault. They released something inaccessible and gave up instead of trying to address it's problems which is why they failed and nintendo succeeded.

They are truly lucky they found a niche market for it in indie games and JRPGs and PS1 one games, because they really don't even deserve that with the way the have handled the system.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are the October PS Plus games (Code Realize/Actual Sunlight) good

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Help Im Alive posted:

First a VN and second a wall of text, odds are anyone who wants those two already bought them

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/MrHarrisonLewis/status/781107446609743872

Uh, Interesting

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sounds like they had to do it to keep the digital version under the 4GB limit

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Help Im Alive posted:

Code: Realize is supposed to be good if you like otome games.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Copied from the post I made in the PS Store thread:

Darkest Dungeon Vita trip report. Controls take some getting used to; some things are not inherent and some (rear touch pad to change characters; assigning people to away party) are awkward.

Game itself plays fine except for one crash I had going into my second exploration. Load times are a touch slower but it's the Vita, that's expected at this point. Game played smooth for me, I detected no stuttering in the first hour-plus I had it running.

Text is readable to me; YMMV on it though but they use the screen space on the system to full effect.

There is a cross-save feature I haven't tried yet, so I'm not sure if it's three estates or just one.

Definitely viable as a portable option for the game, and I have no qualms about doubling up on this game. I'll likely enjoy it more here than on Steam as I'm not a PC guy by nature.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

ShadowedFlames posted:

Copied from the post I made in the PS Store thread:

Darkest Dungeon Vita trip report. Controls take some getting used to; some things are not inherent and some (rear touch pad to change characters; assigning people to away party) are awkward.

Game itself plays fine except for one crash I had going into my second exploration. Load times are a touch slower but it's the Vita, that's expected at this point. Game played smooth for me, I detected no stuttering in the first hour-plus I had it running.

Text is readable to me; YMMV on it though but they use the screen space on the system to full effect.

There is a cross-save feature I haven't tried yet, so I'm not sure if it's three estates or just one.

Definitely viable as a portable option for the game, and I have no qualms about doubling up on this game. I'll likely enjoy it more here than on Steam as I'm not a PC guy by nature.

Cross Save is only one cloud estate at a time but you could download it into any slot. It's been pretty enjoyable on PSVita but yeah controls are a bit weird and I wonder why they didn't use ANY front touch.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Thuryl posted:

Code: Realize is supposed to be good if you like otome games.

One thing I liked about Code: Realize is that the protagonist is actually a character. Compared to some others, such as Amnesia where the protagonist seems to have no personality to speak of.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Rear touch? I'm guessing that means no whitelist for Darkest Dungeon on PSTV then :geno:

though gently caress it, I should just remote play that poo poo anyway

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
First trailer of Drive Girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rdkESDTxYw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks like the awful Nep action games, but they stole the car attacks from Transformers Devastation

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Code: Realize is good, except Impey Barbicane, who is bad.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

13/f/cali posted:

One thing I liked about Code: Realize is that the protagonist is actually a character. Compared to some others, such as Amnesia where the protagonist seems to have no personality to speak of.

It makes for an all around more entertaining and solid narrative. If you're into VNs at all and have PS+ I don't think it'd hurt to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

veni veni veni posted:

Imo Vita would have been a success if it wasn't for high price

The vita and the 3ds had the same launch price, and the original 3ds was garbage. It's entirely the memory stick cost and the lack of marketing, and even the memory stick cost wouldn't have any impact on 95% of vita users because 8gb sticks are like $10 now and the average user would only be using it for game saves anyway. The image of 'well it's $100 for the big one so I'll just not buy one' is more important than whether they would use it or not.