Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yes it's literally how much do you have in your savings account. Sure let's keep thousands there and earn 0.039 per cent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yes it's literally how much do you have in your savings account. Sure let's keep thousands there and earn 0.039 per cent!

I mean $10,000 is an emergency fund right? I thought you weren't supposed to put that anywhere where you can't get to it easily in an emergency.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They asked "how much do you have in a savings account," they didn't measure actual bank accounts. This is a self-reported figure.

But I'm not talking thousands. You should have at least one singular grand on hand in cash if you're a professional adult, it's not a lot of money, and most problems can be solved by $1000.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I just use a checking account for everything and don't have a savings account. The convenience factor outweighs the piddly 1% interest. 6 transactions per month is bullshit.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
It's good to keep a relatively low balance in your checking account, maybe just enough to cover monthly bills, due to the annoying process of getting your money back in the event of fraud.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

potatoducks posted:

I just use a checking account for everything and don't have a savings account. The convenience factor outweighs the piddly 1% interest. 6 transactions per month is bullshit.

If you were making 6 or more transactions a month then it wouldn't be a savings account anyway...

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Read this a couple of days ago but didn't have a chance to post it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/26/business/economy/millions-in-us-climb-out-of-poverty-at-long-last.html posted:

Not that long ago, Alex Caicedo was stuck working a series of odd jobs and watching his 1984 Chevy Nova cough its last breaths. He could make $21 an hour at the Johnny Rockets food stand at FedEx Field when the Washington Redskins were playing, but the work was spotty.

Today, Mr. Caicedo is an assistant manager at a pizzeria in Gaithersburg, Md., with an annual salary of $40,000 and health benefits. And he is getting ready to move his wife and children out of his mother-in-law’s house and into their own place. Doubling up has been a lifesaver, Mr. Caicedo said, “but nobody just wants to move in with their in-laws.”
[...]
Mr. Caicedo, 32, initially found his job on Craigslist last summer, starting at $12 an hour. Recently, he was promoted to his salaried position and now drives a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder. His wife was able to leave her job at a clothing store and take care of their four children.
Maybe when he gets a raise he can go for the Infiniti version. I'm less irritated by the guy buying way more car than he can afford than I am the author touting that as an example of success. Why mention the cars at all?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Because part of escaping poverty for many people is having a reliable vehicle that is unlikely to break down and leave you stranded, cause you to miss work, or worse cause you to lose your job

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Easychair Bootson posted:

Read this a couple of days ago but didn't have a chance to post it.

Maybe when he gets a raise he can go for the Infiniti version. I'm less irritated by the guy buying way more car than he can afford than I am the author touting that as an example of success. Why mention the cars at all?

Is 40K really enough to support six people?

Jan 11, 2004

Cloks posted:

Is 40K really enough to support six people?

Considering that you pay negative several thousand dollars federal income tax with an income of $40k and four children, yes probably

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Because part of escaping poverty for many people is having a reliable vehicle that is unlikely to break down and leave you stranded, cause you to miss work, or worse cause you to lose your job

Do I really have to explain why buying a 2015 car when you make 40k and have a family living at the in-laws is a bad idea?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

revmoo posted:

Do I really have to explain why buying a 2015 car when you make 40k and have a family living at the in-laws is a bad idea?

You can, but the rest of the thread probably doesn't want you to.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Switchback posted:

Do they explain their methodology anywhere? Because if someone asked me "how much do you have in your savings account" I would answer with everything I have in savings, include all retirement, IRAs, short-term savings and cash in checking that's not already earmarked for living expenses.

The article says "savings account" but doesn't describe how literal we should take that. I certainly consider brokerage and retirement accounts as "savings accounts."

If it is literal, and you make over $100k, and you don't have $1000 cash on hand for emergencies, you are BWM.

E: it was up to the interpretation of the respondent:

I bet they specifically asked about savings accounts and not other "non-liquid" assets because they know the only reason we're even reading that article is because of the clickbait headline.

I don't have a whole lot in savings. Mostly enough for short term items I'm saving for and bail/insurance deductibles. Doesn't mean I'm BWM.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

revmoo posted:

I've had enough poo poo cars in my lifetime to know that sometimes it's better to bite the bullet and pay for something that just WORKS. It's exhausting stressing out about when the next catastrophe is going to hit, and easier to budget for X dollar payment + the occasional scheduled maintenance than random 1K repairs on something not worth anything.

Whether the 2015 Pathfinder is a good choice is debatable, but given a family of 6, it makes some sense.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

I bet they specifically asked about savings accounts and not other "non-liquid" assets because they know the only reason we're even reading that article is because of the clickbait headline.

I don't have a whole lot in savings. Mostly enough for short term items I'm saving for and bail/insurance deductibles. Doesn't mean I'm BWM.

...bail?

e: Well I mean your personal stuff is none of my business but I'm actually curious as to the financial aspect, is bail like something you pay a deductible on, or do you mean "so I have enough money to make bail in case I get arrested" or something else?

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 28, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I keep my emergency fund in my bug-out bag.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

I keep my emergency fund in my bug-out bag.

Only counts in the form of plata and plomo, no filthy fiat currency.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

blackmet posted:

I've had enough poo poo cars in my lifetime to know that sometimes it's better to bite the bullet and pay for something that just WORKS. It's exhausting stressing out about when the next catastrophe is going to hit, and easier to budget for X dollar payment + the occasional scheduled maintenance than random 1K repairs on something not worth anything.

Whether the 2015 Pathfinder is a good choice is debatable, but given a family of 6, it makes some sense.

I've literally never had a mechanical breakdown in my life (edit: take that back, I had a 626 poo poo the harmonic balancer and I sold it at a profit just because I couldn't be hassled to bother with it), I don't know how you manage to have such bad luck. Our cars have 210k and 180k respectively and haven't needed any repairs in at least two years. Last was a water pump on my wife's car that could have been ignored if we'd just kept topping off the coolant. Maybe check the oil level a little more often?

Regardless, you can spend 10k and get a fantastic gently used SUV or full sized german luxury sedan of your choice. Dropping 20k+ on a car for this dude's situation is wack.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 28, 2016

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

revmoo posted:

I've literally never had a mechanical breakdown in my life (edit: take that back, I had a 626 poo poo the harmonic balancer and I sold it at a profit just because I couldn't be hassled to bother with it), I don't know how you manage to have such bad luck. Our cars have 210k and 180k respectively and haven't needed any repairs in at least two years. Last was a water pump on my wife's car that could have been ignored if we'd just kept topping off the coolant. Maybe check the oil level a little more often?

Regardless, you can spend 10k and get a fantastic gently used SUV or full sized german luxury sedan of your choice. Dropping 20k+ on a car for this dude's situation is wack.

Maybe you're wack.

Someone post the pelican, quick.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

revmoo posted:

I've literally never had a mechanical breakdown in my life (edit: take that back, I had a 626 poo poo the harmonic balancer and I sold it at a profit just because I couldn't be hassled to bother with it), I don't know how you manage to have such bad luck. Our cars have 210k and 180k respectively and haven't needed any repairs in at least two years.

You have to realize this is not the norm for most people, right?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

WampaLord posted:

You have to realize this is not the norm for most people, right?

?? I don't know anyone who has had to deal with strings of poo poo cars with multiple thousand-dollar repairs, no.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

revmoo posted:

?? I don't know anyone who has had to deal with strings of poo poo cars with multiple thousand-dollar repairs, no.

I'll speak up with some friend and family anecdotes. Old cars have two four figure repairs that are pretty much guaranteed to happen sometime between 120k and 200k miles: Air Conditioners and automatic transmissions. If you get them fixed right, it's a fix that's not going to happen again for another decade. However, putting more than $1k into an old lovely car feels really, really bad, and if those two come close together in time it feels really awful and makes people sell the cars.

I'd wager that a decent amount of people live lives where they buy old lovely cars, do the major repairs that you only do once every 15 years, and then get frustrated at that and sell it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

re: car chat again

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

revmoo posted:

definitely a good barometer for the average car owner

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moneyball posted:

I love that bird.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

I love that bird.

Fuckin' legend.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

If you guys don't know about the cycle of lovely cars operated by poor people despite millions of them being on the road, don't know what's going to convince you. Congrats on having the know-how, space, and opportunity to work on cars and prevent them from breaking down in the first place, but that is not the norm.

With 4 kids, they need a minivan. A sedan isn't going to cut it. There's an argument for a new vehicle, especially if you're putting your kids in it. Besides improved fuel economy of a new vehicle beyond even a perfectly maintained used one, they're safer. Sure, you could get one that's only a few years old that would have similar fuel economy and safety, but you save very little on the purchase price, have less favorable financing terms, and maybe that PO skipped a lot of scheduled maintenance that might cause the engine to poo poo the bed 100k miles prematurely.

That said, I've no idea how they managed to spend $40k on a Pathfinder, and they probably should've gotten something like a Mazda5 which starts around $22k. Maybe that is what happens when you have four offspring to handle; sleep deprivation is a real bitch.

e: just realized he makes $40k w/e

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 28, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Moneyball posted:

How does he not fall on his face?! It's incredible.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

...bail?

e: Well I mean your personal stuff is none of my business but I'm actually curious as to the financial aspect, is bail like something you pay a deductible on, or do you mean "so I have enough money to make bail in case I get arrested" or something else?

Most of my family has little if any positive cash flow so I try to keep a certain amount of cash on the ready. It's unlikely I'd bail out any of them, but I've had to bury a few.

It's better than some crisis coming up and finding out your wife has taken out a 401k loan to help out her parents.

:(

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Switchback posted:

Methodology: This GOBankingRates.com survey posed the question, “How much money do you have saved in your savings account?” to 7,052 people among all 50 states and Washington, DC. Responses were collected through a Google Consumer Survey conducted from Aug. 1, 2016, to Aug. 9, 2016, and responses are representative of the U.S. online population. The survey has a 2.6 percent margin of error.

Yeah that's a poorly worded question. There's no way I'd be saying my net savings including investments and such as an answer to that question, that's more like "what is your net worth" territory.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

Yeah that's a poorly worded question. There's no way I'd be saying my net savings including investments and such as an answer to that question, that's more like "what is your net worth" territory.

Well, I just purchased a roll of life savers, so, 1.07.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
People who have savings accounts, why?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Twerk from Home posted:

It's required in order to have a checking account at my credit union.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Banks give discounts, waive fees, give special promotions and more for keeping a certain amount of money in them. Safe deposit boxes, free checks, credit card rewards, all sorts of poo poo.

If you have money you get special treatment, in other words.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I like the mental separation of having my emergency fund not be in my checking account. And while 1% interest is pathetic, it's not nothing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

As someone else pointed out, if everything's in your checking account it makes cleaning you out via fraud much easier.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Twerk from Home posted:

I keep my emergency fund in one which I think is the most common use. I also have a separate account with some money to use for a car downpayment when my 2001 Toyota I've had since high school finally kicks the bucket.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

As someone else pointed out, if everything's in your checking account it makes cleaning you out via fraud much easier.

Pretty much this. At any given point in the month my checking is the same or slightly higher than my savings account, but I like having my emergency fund under a different account number that isn't in a million ACH databases all over the country.

Jan 11, 2004

THF13 posted:

I keep my emergency fund in one which I think is the most common use. I also have a separate account with some money to use for a car downpayment when my 2001 Toyota I've had since high school finally kicks the bucket.

Well I personally have never heard of anyone having car problems, so what makes you think that will ever happen??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Twerk from Home posted:

Emergency fund and I may be buying a house after all my professional certs are in

• Locked thread