Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im such a sperg i deleted all the preexisting modules and ships and I'm starting from scratch trying to figure out what alloys are good for thermocouples in my reactors

designing modules that work is hard, designing optimal modules must be insane...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Saros posted:

Okay so after sinking far too many hours into Children of a Dead Earth yesterday here are some impressions.

First up, this game is good, really good but has its limitations. If you liked Orbiter or KSP you'll probably like this and anyone with a passing interest in realistic space combat should probably check it out.

Basically you have the orbital map which runs in 'turns' which are X amount of time depending on which button you press (similar to aurora). It autopauses for events etc. Once hostile units close enough you are dropped into a tactical battle where you give your ships orders. Its the view where you see all the screenshots of ships fighting etc in. Orders are fairly simplistic and the units largely fight themselves with a lot been determined by the relative closing velocities etc.

Major complaints are missiles/drones are very finickitey and require a lot of manual clicking, also the launch interface is unnecessarily buried away in the tactical view so you have to go diving into that whenever you want to launch a salvo. Finally missile final target behavior is kind of hosed, they seem to aim for spots past the ship or behind it (something weird with them using IR sensors?) and so even sending loads of missiles at a target it can be a struggle to get a kill as the usually go off behind it and smash up the engine/rear but leave it otherwise largely intact.

Still Its super satisfying to set up an orbit with some commedically high closing velocity like and launch some shrapnel missiles on flyby so they detonate and 10kps shrapnel turns any ship into swiss cheese.

Yeah, I 100% agree with you about missiles + drones being way too much micromanagement. I'd like to be able to save trajectories or something, just to reduce the total clickfest of guiding a missile into a high speed intercept

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Nuke delays are awesome, especially with missiles with super-armored fronts. I got a head on retrograde hit at about 2kps and it went in the front of the ship, smashed everything in its line of travel to itty bitty pieces and was intact enough to blow up just as it emerged out the rear. The redundancy in some of these ships is insane, that particular ship is still fighting even though its in a slow tumble to oblivion and the back quarter is just so much slag from the 30 megaton nuke going off at a range of about 10 meters.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Videos? One of the few grog games that make for good watchin'.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSoVbwyrxDk

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I don't actually have and video recording software, what's lightweight cause my laptop ain't the best.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I use OBS to stream and record, easier to use than garbage like fraps and fairly lightweight.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I use garbage like fraps because I just hit a button and it works.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

What needs to happen now is the guy who made Rule the waves and the guy who made Children of a Dead Earth need to get together and make some sort of bastard space battleship lovechild of a game.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Saros posted:

What needs to happen now is the guy who made Rule the waves and the guy who made Children of a Dead Earth need to get together and make some sort of bastard space battleship lovechild of a game.

yes holy poo poo

spaceballs

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My space balls also have a difference between wet and dry weight of over 100t.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Is there a joke in that they're apparently non-functional?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Saros posted:

With a Space Hulk type squad tactical plug-in game where you send boarding parties to take over neutralized enemy vessels and the maps are based on the ship designs.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I would just be happy with a combat mission that doesnt blow

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

With a Space Hulk type squad tactical plug-in game where you send boarding parties to take over neutralized enemy vessels and the maps are based on the ship designs.

With a full 4x game around this combat module, gather resources, refine them, build components, fabricate them into ships. Make decisions like if its worthwhile manufacturing components on your mars colony and ferrying them into space vs constructing the components in space entirely.

Quickly iterating designs in the sandbox is really quite fun. The module editor has so much depth to it that I'm sure every component I've designed so far could be improved.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Saros posted:

we need that guy to work on the aircraft designer in rtw 2

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Phi230 posted:

I would just be happy with a combat mission that doesnt blow

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Saros posted:

One of the earliest kickstarters I backed, yet failed was a guy trying to create a space game around ships using high energy reaction thrust engines

https://torchships.com/faq/

Seems that he couldn't find the time to keep developing it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sorry to spam about this game

boom!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What even is the point of the enrichment slider? Do you have to actually set up an in-depth production cycle?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Baloogan the only thing that's going to be any good for is war crimes. 2000x 63kt nukes Jesus Christ.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

What even is the point of the enrichment slider? Do you have to actually set up an in-depth production cycle?

That slider is mostly useful for nuclear engine / reactor design, for example here is my most commonly used power plant

if I go to 32% I get...

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Saros posted:

Baloogan the only thing that's going to be any good for is war crimes. 2000x 63kt nukes Jesus Christ.

Its irking me I can't seem to make a 1000 Gt warhead.

.844 Teraton warhead... muah hah hah

And... costs as much as a small fleet...

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

E: Didn't see that it actually is a fusion bomb, it's just the game calls it boosted fission instead :downs:

Actually, how come you can't make more stages?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Trip report: the AI in War in the Pacific: AE is not very good.
Notable information: It's July 8th, 1942. I just took Truk.

I have a lot of troops there, and about the same number of troops died trying to land/take Truk. The coastal defense batteries are completely crippling, and I've learned a great deal about launching naval invasions (including set supply fleets as amphibious if you want the supplies to actually unload, always have battleships in fleets invading heavily defended islands, and for the love of god don't shock attack dug in defenders no matter how big the difference in unadjusted AV is).

The reason I was able to do this: Lack of enemy carriers remaining:

Whereas I lost far fewer, though there are a number that took nasty hits that required repairs.

Holding Rabaul against the Japanese I'm sure helped a great deal - I'm not sure if the AI knows how to deal with this, since they continually sent in small transport groups to Rabaul, and not all of them were invasion fleets. Also notable at least 3 enemy carriers ended their turn next to Rabaul, which is where I had a very large contingent of my surface fleet based out of at the time.

e: I hope you all don't mind a gigantic text dump about a dumb AI game :v:

Baudin fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 29, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Saros posted:

... If you liked Orbiter or KSP you'll probably like this ...

*ears perk up*

I haven't been following this thread very closely... what is this game and why haven't I heard of it before?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So does that military KSP game have Casaba Howitzers?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When did this threads tone change from "combat mission is dumb and expensive but it is fun to play" to "combat mission bad"

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

algebra testes posted:

When did this threads tone change from "combat mission is dumb and expensive but it is fun to play" to "combat mission bad"

It's bad because it could be so much better.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
What's the most thrust you can get out of a chemical engine no more than 1m in any dimension, Baloogan? Can you outsperg this?

My best attempt so far has 4.15MN of go with a chamber temperature approximately that of a G8 main sequence star:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

haha fun challenge!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I forgot the nozzle...

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i loving dig this game...

gently caress, well that carrier crashes the game when I try to make a scenario with it. :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
PYF Pictures of Space Ships You Made

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKOitW1jews

Less pictures and more that moment when you get the missile intercept juuussst right.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I've been scanning some pages from an 1903 copy of Jane's Fighting Ships for Galaga over in the Rule the Waves thread and saw this advert whilst flicking through.

gently caress CMANO, let's play JNWG

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Grognard Games Megathread - stop making me want this I do not have £6 6s.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I looked that up in a historic inflation calculator and it told me £6.6s in 1903 is £699.22 or $908.43 today :eyepop:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

Grognard Games Megathread - stop making me want this I do not have £6 6s.

god I want this to be a thing so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Megadyptes posted:

I looked that up in a historic inflation calculator and it told me £6.6s in 1903 is £699.22 or $908.43 today :eyepop:

Fake war. Fake war never changes.