Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'll be at the JIT press conference tomorrow, then doing an event at Groningen University about MH17 for anyone in the area:

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/780692156952485888

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
^^^
will Matt Groeningen be there in person? :v:

Uh oh, Finland is now connected to the shooting of the MH17... De Telegraaf has revealed that the Dutch investigators have done multiple missile tests in Finland to determine the type of missile that brought the airliner down. It doesn't specify what these tests involved and Finnish Defence Force won't comment, but we do have Buk missile system in our arsenal so it checks out.

edit: the Finnish FBI has confirmed that they have assisted the investigation, but won't comment on what kind of assistance it was

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 27, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They won't know for sure until they shoot down an airliner of their own.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

I'll be at the JIT press conference tomorrow, then doing an event at Groningen University about MH17 for anyone in the area:

Ha! That's my neck of the woods, I'm tempted to show up but the missus is a bit under the weather so not looking super likely. Good luck regardless!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Jygallax posted:

Russia's game with MH17 is becoming absurd at this point, they just. can't. let. it. go...
Any Russian news about Ukraine-Russia conflict were absurd from the start. Also, there are news about dollar/USA collapsing and Russia releasing currency covered by gold standard (also, Putin is a genius or something) every 60 days or so, Russia is releasing absurd 'news' for years now. I wonder why they bother, to most russophiles, it's simply enough if Russia denies everything.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dwesa posted:

Any Russian news about Ukraine-Russia conflict were absurd from the start. Also, there are news about dollar/USA collapsing and Russia releasing currency covered by gold standard (also, Putin is a genius or something) every 60 days or so, Russia is releasing absurd 'news' for years now. I wonder why they bother, to most russophiles, it's simply enough if Russia denies everything.

Also

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My favourite part of that is how Canada gets Kansas, but not Alaska.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Mexico: the next superpower.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ocrumsprug posted:

My favourite part of that is how Canada gets Kansas, but not Alaska.

Listen, this was created by a russian PROFESSOR who is an expert at america, I think he knows what he's doing.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
America: A RUssian Professors prediction

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

Well they let that missile go which is why we are in this situation.

:drat:

Also I am going to assume that Igor Panarin primarily has a career due to stupid Americans who watch RT thinking he is intelligent.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love RT because it lets me instantly prune anyone off social media if they share enough RT links. It's fantastic for both detecting right wing idiots with a strong-man fetish and conspiracy theory addled leftists who think anything in opposition to the US must be good.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
With how huge post-nuclear media are in EE you'd think the guy would at least have the good sense to name it the New California Republic.

Oh, wait, sorry, then it wouldn't have been taken seriously.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

That image was designed to be 100% outrageous to the American Patriot. Pussy liberal Canadians, Gay Europeans, Dirty Mexicans, Insidious Chinese. America gets nothing. Not a single state remains in control.

It's just weird puerile wank material for Russian ultranationalists.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

That image was designed to be 100% outrageous to the American Patriot. Pussy liberal Canadians, Gay Europeans, Dirty Mexicans, Insidious Chinese. America gets nothing. Not a single state remains in control.

It's also a significant example of Russian projection. Reading between the lines, you can see how Russia collapsed and "fell under the influence" of neighbors, like the Baltics, Ukraine, especially the Caucasus states, and even Kazakhstan becoming independent and developing better relations with China.

Since that popped up during Obama's first election campaign, this is relevant crossposting from the Clinton/Trump debate thread...

https://twitter.com/DustinGiebel/status/780814613021548544

Edit: a friend just told me that the Washington Post is saying this is faked. :argh:

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 28, 2016

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's not very good at that since the first thing that strikes about it is how poorly whoever did it understands the country. Utah and California in the same portion?
New York and Kentucky?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Speaking of Russian propaganda, Ben Nimmo did two pieces about Russian propaganda from the last couple of weeks attacking Bellingcat and others

https://medium.com/@DFRLab/kremlin-unleashes-attack-dogs-on-mh17-investigation-64e5df174b24

http://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/new-atlanticist/vilify-and-amplify-how-the-kremlin-s-disinformation-machine-is-attacking-the-mh17-probe

I'm off to the JIT press conference, where hopefully they'll be confirming some of the stuff Bellingcat has stated about MH17. Here's where we said the missile was launched from back in Jan 2015
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2015/01/27/is-this-the-launch-site-of-the-missile-that-shot-down-flight-mh17/

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Well that was pretty blunt, it was proven that the Buk was requested by the rebels, one came in from Russia, shot down MH17 and was driven back to Russia.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/28/mh17-investigation-prosecutors-to-reveal-where-missile-that-down/

Investigators have declared that the missile was fired by a Buk supplied by Russia and operated by separatists. I imagine Brown Moses will have more to say on this, though.

e: fb

az
Dec 2, 2005

Glad that that shitshow is finally coming to a conclusion. Hah, who am I kidding.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Bit of a crazy day so far, I turned up at the press conference and I'm almost immediately mobbed journalists
https://twitter.com/hugoreitsma/status/781073824821411840

As for the press conference, it was entirely inline with what we have been publishing on Bellingcat, the launch site was exactly the same, and they said it came from Russia. What made me really pay attention is they showed a video of the Buk in Donetsk, which turned out to be where Paris Match got their Donetsk Buk photos from, so it was eye-opening to see that. We suspected it did come from a video, but it was good to confirm. They also showed a second photo of the launch smoke, which allowed the exact position to be triangulated in the field we had previously ID'd as the launch site. They also had various audio recordings of intercepted calls, one of which was a call between separatists on the day Almaz Antey announced their alternative launch site. The rebels basically say, "but wait, didn't WE control that site?", so it's a bit comic.

We're getting a lot of press attention, pretty much nonstop emails, so hopefully you should see me or one of the Bellingcat team somewhere. I did three different interviews with NOS, the Dutch national broadcaster, immediately after the press conference.

Also today the Washington Post published a piece about how we were targeted by Russia for our work
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...id=ss_tw-bottom

And Threat Connect details how hackers linked to DC Leaks targeted us:
https://www.threatconnect.com/blog/russia-hacks-bellingcat-mh17-investigation/

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 28, 2016

az
Dec 2, 2005

Good work BM, I mean it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

az posted:

Good work BM, I mean it.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

az posted:

Good work BM, I mean it.

Also been reading up on analytic studies of ongoing propaganda efforts. All in all sounds like a lost cause which is kinda neat.

http://www.rand.org/pubs/perspectives/PE198.html

https://youtu.be/eKFObB6_naw

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Wait, did he copy that ENTIRE POST from wikipedia???? Woah....

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

az posted:

Good work BM, I mean it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

az posted:

Good work BM, I mean it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

az posted:

Good work BM, I mean it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Well done, BM. Thank You

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

az posted:

Good work BM, I mean it.

As a Dutch citizen highly annoyed by my countries near innability/unwillingness to stand up to Russian bullshit, very much this.

Keep it up, please.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Good work, BM and B'cat!

Have any governments outside Kremlin (and Kiev) given official statements yet? It doesn't seem like the governments who lost citizens in the attack, especially Netherlands and EU, can any longer avoid putting the blame on Russia, but OTOH what can be done? It took a long time to get any kind of closure to Lockerbie, and even that was the result of Gaddafi unexpectedly wanting to approach the west (and finally Gaddafi's fall), something that is unlikely to happen with Putin or at least cannot be relied upon.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

AlexanderCA posted:

As a Dutch citizen highly annoyed by my countries near innability/unwillingness to stand up to Russian bullshit, very much this.

Keep it up, please.

Ditto, and thanks BM!

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

az posted:

Good work BM, I mean it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:eyepop: So, Riga's municipal policy is running a program where you can report crimes with a mobile app, attaching pictures and stuff, and follow through on their proceedings. Say, you see, someone parked over two spots for disabled, or on the lawn, you snap - send it - and get told if the violator with fined or something.

Turns out our brave municipal police of Riga really hates working, fining people in particular, so they have been mad about this unknown "law maniac" for a while, which turns out to be a young father who just cares about walkways and parks being safe and clean from cars and such.

Long story short, apparently the municipal police has begun to attach his full name to each fine they place, on a separate slip of paper. In the latest turn of events, this dude was visited by an angry person to "discuss" the report of their violation. This person did get, in a sealed police envelope with crime protocol, a note to go and seek out "the snitch" for retribution.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:eyepop: So, Riga's municipal policy is running a program where you can report crimes with a mobile app, attaching pictures and stuff, and follow through on their proceedings. Say, you see, someone parked over two spots for disabled, or on the lawn, you snap - send it - and get told if the violator with fined or something.

Turns out our brave municipal police of Riga really hates working, fining people in particular, so they have been mad about this unknown "law maniac" for a while, which turns out to be a young father who just cares about walkways and parks being safe and clean from cars and such.

Long story short, apparently the municipal police has begun to attach his full name to each fine they place, on a separate slip of paper. In the latest turn of events, this dude was visited by an angry person to "discuss" the report of their violation. This person did get, in a sealed police envelope with crime protocol, a note to go and seek out "the snitch" for retribution.

The whole thing sounds poorly thought out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rinkles posted:

The whole thing sounds poorly thought out.

Yeah, it's pretty rididuclous for anyone to expect the police to do their loving jobs with an ounce of professionalism and not turning into vindictive criminals them selves the moment they're annoyed

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, it's pretty rididuclous for anyone to expect the police to do their loving jobs with an ounce of professionalism and not turning into vindictive criminals them selves the moment they're annoyed

:raise:

I guess you're not American. :v:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
It's good thing he has that app, makes it much easier to report criminal police officers.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

AlexanderCA posted:

Keep it up, please.

+1, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:raise:

I guess you're not American. :v:

are you kidding, american cops love fining people (because they get the money)