Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The Palestinian municipal elections that were scheduled to be held next month in both the West Bank and Gaza - the first Gazan elections in a decade - have been suspended by the PA courts, citing various election-related disputed between Fatah and Hamas (as usual) and a legal challenge from Palestinians in East Jerusalem.

Meanwhile, the squabbling between the religious and secular wings of Israel hit society hard a week or so ago, by causing a major train line to be shut down for most of an entire weekend and causing widespread transportation chaos. Railway workers were planning to do maintenance work on Friday night and Saturday, since the trains don't run on Shabbat, but Netanyahu - under pressure from the ultra-Orthodox parties - ordered an immediate halt and cancellation of the work on Friday night. Since work had already begun on some of the tracks when work was abruptly halted, many of them were in an unusable state when Shabbat ended, and train service wasn't fully restored until Sunday night - causing massive disruptions to weekend travel. On top of that, the High Court later ruled that Netanyahu didn't have the authority to issue a shutdown order like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Say what you will about Bibi, he made the trains run on-- oh

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Jewish nation stand united against trains.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Main Paineframe posted:

On Friday, Liberman said the Iran deal was comparable to the Munich Agreement. Yesterday, he apologized to anyone who understood his remarks as being a literal comparison to the Munich Agreement and claimed that the media had propagated a misunderstanding. It's widely thought that he was forced into announcing that half-apology by pressure from Netanyahu and others, since his original statement was made at a particularly bad time: Eisenkot was in the US to get an honorary Medal of Honor and Israeli officials were also in the US working on finalizing the military aid package, so Netanyahu wanted to avoid antagonizing the US at least until the ink is

It is a Munich Agreement. Those secret protocols that allowed Iran to keep larger quantities of usable nuclesr material.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's not political, but it's funny: http://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-fighter-pilot-demoted-for-lying-about-training-results/

quote:

A few days ago, one of the leading F-16 pilots, a deputy commander, took part in a battle training exercise, after which he claimed he had brought down a plane, Channel 2 television reported.

But the hit in fact never took place, even though the pilot apparently managed to create a fake video purporting to show the plane being downed.

The truth was discovered after an investigation and the officer was demoted. The report did not specify what led the IAF to become suspicious of the officer’s claims.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Facebook is working with the Israeli government to censor the speech posted on its site, particularly what the Israeli government is referring to as 'Palestinian incitement of violence'.

https://theintercept.com/2016/09/12/facebook-is-collaborating-with-the-israeli-government-to-determine-what-should-be-censored/

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
Facebook also frequently censors and blocks atheist Muslim reformers for "hate speech", so I think they just like censoring things.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Secular Humanist posted:

Facebook also frequently censors and blocks atheist Muslim reformers for "hate speech", so I think they just like censoring things.

I'm betting that it's because atheist Muslim reformers say a lot of hate speech.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm betting that it's because atheist Muslim reformers say a lot of hate speech.

The death threats Muslim apostates get probably play a part.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Secular Humanist posted:

Well they did censor the picture of Phan Thi Kim Phuc as violating the site's nudity policies.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Oh boy, Bibi just came out in favor of illegal Israeli settlers in the West Bank being fully subject to Palestinian authority, presumably meaning the termination of their Israeli citizenship! :neckbeard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8CUFSHB114
Well, if his line of reasoning were internally consistent, that is.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

there isn't an :ironicat: big enough

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Friendly Humour posted:

The death threats Muslim apostates get probably play a part.

Wait we are talking about people like Bill Maher right?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

drilldo squirt posted:

Hardliners like to report atheists living in (e.g.) Saudi to the authorities, I imagine this is the same sort of thing.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Cugel the Clever posted:

Oh boy, Bibi just came out in favor of illegal Israeli settlers in the West Bank being fully subject to Palestinian authority, presumably meaning the termination of their Israeli citizenship! :neckbeard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8CUFSHB114
Well, if his line of reasoning were internally consistent, that is.

Saw a family member from the US post this but I didn't want to get into an Internet slap fight over Bibi apparently advocating a one state solution.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drilldo squirt posted:

Uhh, no? I don't think Bill Maher was ever a Muslim.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, it's not exactly a little known fact that Muslim apostates often face extreme hostility from their former religious fellows and families. They get killed for it too.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So, just to be clear:

Every time an "alt right" character quotes from the Talmud on the subject of Gentiles, they're probably not making poo poo up?

Cat Mattress posted:

You probably should have used this link instead, it's in English.
http://www.daatemet.org.il/articles/article.cfm?article_id=119&lang=en
I could have sworn that was the one that I copy-pasted.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 16, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xander77 posted:

So, just to be clear:
http://www.daatemet.org.il/articles/article.cfm?article_id=119&lang=he
Every time an "alt right" character quotes from the Talmud on the subject of Gentiles, they're probably not making poo poo up?

You probably should have used this link instead, it's in English.
http://www.daatemet.org.il/articles/article.cfm?article_id=119&lang=en

As for not making poo poo up, I wouldn't extend them this courtesy. Finding juicy quotes to support one's thesis that "see: they want to kill us all so we have to kill them all preemptively" still requires reading these texts, which is a major bummer. It's easier to just write bullshit and pretend it's from them (e.g. Protocols of the Elders of Zion).

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

So, just to be clear:

I could have sworn that was the one that I copy-pasted.

Like all religions if you go digging and play loose with interpretation you can find some dark poo poo. I have no trouble believing that hardcore Jewish people are just as horrible and tiresome as hardcore Muslims and Christians. They all have bits from their corresponding books that they can quote at you and justify why it's ok to kill you. I mean just look at that link. It's paragraphs upon paragraphs by some Rabbi just to say "yeah it's ok to kill a gentile". Somehow I don't think this is mainstream.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Friendly Humour posted:

I mean, it's not exactly a little known fact that Muslim apostates often face extreme hostility from their former religious fellows and families. They get killed for it too.

I'm aware of that problem I thought we were talking about atheists who say very Islamophobic things and call it criticism, sorry friend.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's paragraphs upon paragraphs by some Rabbi just to say "yeah it's ok to kill a gentile". Somehow I don't think this is mainstream.
Google some of those "some Rabbi"? Maimonides / Schulhan Aruch are as mainstream as it gets.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
ariel told me ww3 is on its way and i'm gonna be okay

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So what's the current sitch in Gaza? I heard they were going to run out of drinkable water this year.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Berkley shuts down a student-taught class on Palestine for being too anti-Zionist

https://academeblog.org/2016/09/15/berkeley-bans-a-palestine-class/

quote:

Suspending a course in the middle of a semester is one of the most serious actions a university can take. On Sept. 13, Dean Carla Hesse of the University of California at Berkeley did exactly that to a student-taught DeCal class about Palestine.

DeCal stands for Democratic Education at Cal, an old-fashioned tradition where undergraduate students teach 1 or 2 unit courses, pass/fail, to their peers. The instructors, called facilitators, plan their own courses, which must be approved by a faculty committee and the chair of a department.

The administration seems anxious to claim that their decision was made in reaction to the concerns of students, faculty, and staff on campus. But the truth is that Berkeley faced a global onslaught of organizations attacking them for allowing this course. In a letter to Chancellor Dirks on Sept. 13, 43 Jewish, civil rights and education advocacy organizations declared that the class was “intended to indoctrinate students to hate the Jewish state and take action to eliminate it:”

Comments from Jon Chait, shockingly, are nowhere to be found

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Most of you have probably heard of B'Tslem, Israel's most well known Human rights group that is frequently highly critical of the government's conduct.

B'Tselem had previously been a part of helping collect information on Israeli war crimes to be reported to the IDF authorities and MAG. They ceased this role earlier this year as they criticised the investigation mechanism as nothing more than a whitewashing mechanism designed to give the appearence of a fair investigation. On that basis they considered any involvement on their part to be nothing more than a cover so Israel could continue with its war crimes and human rights abuses.

They've just released a new report which not only goes into detail about how this failure to investigate war crimes has continued, but calls out the practice as something that should draw the attention of the International Criminal Court. As per its constitution the ICC is stopped from intervening in these type of affairs so long as Israel can prove it is willing and able to investigate breaches of International Humanitarian Law on its own. B'TSelem argues and makes the case that Israel clearly does not and has consistently failed to do so, caring only about maintaining a facade of lawfulness rather than actually implementing it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Pffft, everyone knows that they're a propaganda mouthpiece for that renowned cesspool of anti-Semitism, the European Union. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, the law requiring NGOs to disclose any foreign funding will be followed up within the next few years by one selectively targeting such fascist puppets (assuming those dastardly leftists don't get their poo poo together and win a majority in the Knes--hahahahahaha).

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
you fucks the jews are the next.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Shimon Peres died.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Volkerball posted:

Shimon Peres died.

Good. That white Polish European racist colonialist was a war criminal terrorist who committed mass murder and ethnic cleansing and helped invade and occupy multiple countries, him and his other white European racist shits cuased massive terror and loss of life to the people of multiple countries and helped flatten Beirut in 1982. I'm sad though that he he didn't spend at least a decade gurgling and making GBS threads himself like Sharon did. He should be mourned the same way someone would mourn Mourn milosevic, karadic, Hendrik Verwoerd and any religious fanatic or racial supremacist rolled into one.

He helped accomplish what they love to accuse Ahmadinejad so much of wanting, he actually wiped a country of the face of the earth, and tried his best to wipe it's people too.

Now watch as the racist apartheid supporting assholes trip over themselves in tears.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 28, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Hah. I was just about to wonder who's going to come along and post that :)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

Hah. I was just about to wonder who's going to come along and post that :)

Our very own Yossi Beilin.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Al-Saqr posted:

Good. That white Polish European racist colonialist was a war criminal terrorist who committed mass murder and ethnic cleansing and helped invade and occupy multiple countries, him and his other white European racist shits cuased massive terror and loss of life to the people of multiple countries and helped flatten Beirut in 1982. I'm sad though that he he didn't spend at least a decade gurgling and making GBS threads himself like Sharon did.
Uh I'm pretty sure you're confused. Peres wasn't involved in the 1982 Lebanon war, he wasn't even in office. You're probably thinking of the Qana massacre?

From what I know, Peres was much like Rabin. He was first and foremost a true believer in the Zionist project, but also believed in restraint and some amount of compromise. Compared to the current administration he's Nelson loving Mandela.

Macunaima
Sep 28, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Al-Saqr posted:

Good. That white Polish European racist colonialist was a war criminal terrorist who committed mass murder and ethnic cleansing and helped invade and occupy multiple countries, him and his other white European racist shits cuased massive terror and loss of life to the people of multiple countries and helped flatten Beirut in 1982. I'm sad though that he he didn't spend at least a decade gurgling and making GBS threads himself like Sharon did. He should be mourned the same way someone would mourn Mourn milosevic, karadic, Hendrik Verwoerd and any religious fanatic or racial supremacist rolled into one.

He helped accomplish what they love to accuse Ahmadinejad so much of wanting, he actually wiped a country of the face of the earth, and tried his best to wipe it's people too.

Now watch as the racist apartheid supporting assholes trip over themselves in tears.

And this is why there won't be peace in the Middle East.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Macunaima posted:

Peace will only be achieved when the entire human race dies off.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Uh I'm pretty sure you're confused. Peres wasn't involved in the 1982 Lebanon war, he wasn't even in office. You're probably thinking of the Qana massacre?

From what I know, Peres was much like Rabin. He was first and foremost a true believer in the Zionist project, but also believed in restraint and some amount of compromise. Compared to the current administration he's Nelson loving Mandela.

Comparing him to Nelson Mandela is pretty funny, considering he offered to sell nukes to the South African government in 1975.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/may/23/israel-south-africa-nuclear-weapons

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 28, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Macunaima posted:

Global warming (and reckless consumption of groundwater) will bring peace to the Middle East by making sure that humans can no longer survive there at all. Just give it like 50 years, and all that territory people are killing and dying over will be worthless sterile sand.

Also in Israel's case you can add that the deliberate destruction of water treatment infrastructure so as to poison the Palestinians in Gaza is causing the water tables to be contaminated, a contamination that completely ignores borders.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 28, 2016

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Slanderer posted:

Comparing him to Nelson Mandela is pretty funny, considering he offered to sell nukes to the South African government in 1975.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/may/23/israel-south-africa-nuclear-weapons

Obviously that was hyperbole. We know Peres couldn't be that good because he was never assassinated.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Macunaima posted:

If in the sense that there are still many Zionists trolling around the Earth both inside and outside Israel who outlive that dude, then yeah, I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macunaima
Sep 28, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

icantfindaname posted:

If in the sense that there are still many Zionists trolling around the Earth both inside and outside Israel who outlive that dude, then yeah, I agree

Zionism and Palestinian nationalism are two sides to the same coin of primitive nationalism. One side really only acknowledges the other when it launches lopsided attacks. The other side is weaker, but wants to exterminate the other.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)