Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stringball
Mar 17, 2009

What are the things factored into issuing a permaban? There's people with like 50+ probation/bans and still stick around for years I think

And the obvious illegal or scams or chargebackers only get a regular versus a permanent for doing that, although it probably doesn't matter in the long run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Was it always bad to close threads in SA-Mart?

I feel like I did that in the past and nobody said anything about it, but I did it to a recent thread and got a few PMs about it from nice folks so I reopened it. But then I look at the rules for the board and it's been there since 2013.

I mean I can imagine the reason being people shipping a ton of stuff and then closing a thread so people being unable to mention they got scammed or whatever being a problem, but I got it in my head somewhere that it would be fine if there was nothing actually left for sale but I assume I just made that up in my mind at this point and am crazy.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Phantasium posted:

Was it always bad to close threads in SA-Mart?

Yes, it's been in the sa-mart rules thread for as long as I can remember:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

• Don't close your threads.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 27, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Well poo poo, any particular incident that that stems from or is it so ancient that nobody would know anymore?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Numerous incidents when stuff either didn't arrive, didn't arrive in the condition described, etc.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FactsAreUseless posted:

Probations for spelling and grammar were stupid because they didn't encourage good posting or prevent bad posting. Catchphrases and similar are handled forum by forum. I think they're only a big problem in GBS, because a bunch of broke-brain GBS dudes can't do joke.

My one and only non-probation mod warning was to stop reporting for garbage punctuation and capitalization. :v:

In my maturity I must concede it was a correct decision.

(As were all my probations except maybe the one for mouthing off in YCS, and really posting in YCS takes your probation status into your hands anyway)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 28, 2016

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hogge Wild posted:

There are many people like that. They read GBS religiously, but only posted in QCS, never in GBS.

I'm even worse. I post almost exclusively in D&D but lurk/read a bunch of forums

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Is there a way to view the forums wordfilters? Or is it intended that the only way to find them is to just start typing words and see what happens?

Also, when/why did signatures get changed from forum-wide to only in certain forums, and why don't more forums allow them?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Is there a way to view the forums wordfilters? Or is it intended that the only way to find them is to just start typing words and see what happens?

Also, when/why did signatures get changed from forum-wide to only in certain forums, and why don't more forums allow them?

quote people and the reply box before you hit submit will show the real word

sjw hth im gay are some of them i thought? Maybe not

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Holyshoot posted:

quote people and the reply box before you hit submit will show the real word

sjw hth im gay are some of them i thought? Maybe not

I think a lot of word filters got removed recently. Ted Cruz used to go to Zodiac Killer which was pretty fantastic :(

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I think a lot of word filters got removed recently. Ted Cruz used to go to Zodiac Killer which was pretty fantastic :(

Most of the SA word filters are stupid so this is good news.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
From QCS :

FactsAreUseless posted:

When we first made the rebooted GBS, a bunch of mods couldn't see it, despite it being labeled as the same type of forum as the mod forums. When I went to make it public I discovered there's a bunch of weird behind-the-scenes permission stuff I had to go through and fix for each usertype, literally at 11 when I was trying to send rebooted GBS live.

And while doing namechanges I discovered that a bunch of avs are still in the system as HTML, not BBCode. But if I leave them alone they break if I change anything else in the admin panel. They only function on the old code until looked at.

FactsAreUseless posted:

ZDR has way crazier stories.

Can you guys tell us more about radium's code giving you all PTSD?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Will ZDR stay with us for the Great Forums Rebirth?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Skoll posted:

From QCS :

Can you guys tell us more about radium's code giving you all PTSD?

Why not just bring Radium back to fix it

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

MANime in the sheets posted:

"I'm working on it." *plays Witcher III on Lowtax's pay*

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MANime in the sheets posted:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

mods should do meetups

could have caught aatrek sooner

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

mods should do meetups

could have caught aatrek sooner

Ah ha that's funny.

I just went through your post history. You know, just to make sure you aren't a hidden Pedo.
I've decided to probate you every time I notice you don't capitalize the first word in your sentences or end them in a period.
Just to be safe and make sure you aren't saving all those big letters and little dots for the kids.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

Ah ha that's funny.

I just went through your post history. You know, just to make sure you aren't a hidden Pedo.
I've decided to probate you every time I notice you don't capitalize the first word in your sentences or end them in a period.
Just to be safe and make sure you aren't saving all those big letters and little dots for the kids.

I can't believe you turned Vegetable into a vegetable :rimshot:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

Ah ha that's funny.

Let me love you.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

Ah ha that's funny.

Nyc_Tattoo for president!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

There are supposedly 150,000+ registered goons, but do you have any idea how many of them are active, i.e. posting in the last week or month? How many goons are borwsing the forums at any given time? I suppose evening/night in America has the most activity.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Safety Biscuits posted:

There are supposedly 150,000+ registered goons, but do you have any idea how many of them are active, i.e. posting in the last week or month? How many goons are borwsing the forums at any given time? I suppose evening/night in America has the most activity.

i'd say about 4000 on average at any given time

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

zen death robot posted:

Yes, but thankfully I won't be asked to figure out how to hack on Radiums bullshit once things are implemented.

That's pretty disappointing. It sounds like your job is going to get a lot less...entertaining, at least for the rest of us.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What percentage of the probations and bans you hand out are based on actual rule breaking vs. people acting/posting like idiots? Followup question: is there a clear distinction between the two?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

kedo posted:

What percentage of the probations and bans you hand out are based on actual rule breaking vs. people acting/posting like idiots? Followup question: is there a clear distinction between the two?

Posting like an idiot is against the rules, and anybody who says "which rules?" is an idiot who shouldn't post here.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

That's a good point, so maybe that's not what I meant. I suppose I'm curious how that rule is actually applied. I feel like I see people posting idiotic nonsense often and it's apparently fine (or flies under the radar). Other times I see people posting idiotic nonsense and it results in a probation.

Is there a reason why one idiotic post might slip by and another might not? Is is a matter of what gets reported, or what a mod sees? How do you as mods determine what = idiotic rule breaking vs. what = passable idiocy?

I'm guessing it's just subjective.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Part subjectivity, and part reports. There might be a ton of idiotic posts in YLLS threads I don't read, and thus won't see unless they're brought to my attention.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

kedo posted:

That's a good point, so maybe that's not what I meant. I suppose I'm curious how that rule is actually applied. I feel like I see people posting idiotic nonsense often and it's apparently fine (or flies under the radar). Other times I see people posting idiotic nonsense and it results in a probation.

Is there a reason why one idiotic post might slip by and another might not? Is is a matter of what gets reported, or what a mod sees? How do you as mods determine what = idiotic rule breaking vs. what = passable idiocy?

I'm guessing it's just subjective.
Gonna answer even though I've been a mod for less than a week. There are multiple reasons but the big one is which post is reported. The mods don't personally read each post or anything, that'd be crazy. Context matters as well and we don't telepathically reach consensus on how to handle various posts, but yeah, the biggest thing is what gets reported.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Aww come on AA, you have to admit that latest Avshalom post was pretty funny. :(

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
So I disagreed with some people on the internet and got a new avatar. \o/

Is there a line that can be crossed in terms of suggesting other forumites go and suicide themselves or is it really just an open season thing and anything goes?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

BattleMoose posted:

Is there a line that can be crossed in terms of suggesting other forumites go and suicide themselves or is it really just an open season thing and anything goes?

To be fair, D&D is a cesspit of circlejerking retardation who all think they're PoliSci majors in a Tom Clancy novel.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BattleMoose posted:

Yes, but also there isn't anything we can do about someone buying you an angry av. We don't even see who bought them.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Skoll posted:

To be fair, D&D is a cesspit of circlejerking retardation who all think they're PoliSci majors in a Tom Clancy novel.

Yeah, that seems to be a fair assessment. Either way I think the forums are going to make a cool $15 our of my disagreeable temperament. (I am old enough to know better about disagreeing with people on the internet)

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes, but also there isn't anything we can do about someone buying you an angry av. We don't even see who bought them.

Can't they request the avatar be removed for free? Or is that only when someone buys you a name change you can ask to have your name put back?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You can't buy someone else a name change - everyone would get renamed things like wvwvvwvwwwvwvwwvw and be unable to log in because they don't know their username.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Holyshoot posted:

Can't they request the avatar be removed for free? Or is that only when someone buys you a name change you can ask to have your name put back?

Mods can always put in a request to change someone's avatar and admins can just do it. No one is typically going to take away a well earned big red title unless you're friends with a mod or IK or they just feel sorry for you.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Or if the BRCT includes some sort of horribly NWS image.

Case in point, I haven't even changed my own after someone bought me this :haw:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You can't buy someone else a name change - everyone would get renamed things like wvwvvwvwwwvwvwwvw and be unable to log in because they don't know their username.

Setup a master username and change what shows on the forums to display names that people can buy to change themselves or for others. Print money and keep SA a float! Boom next problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Holyshoot posted:

Setup a master username and change what shows on the forums to display names that people can buy to change themselves or for others. Print money and keep SA a float! Boom next problem.

radium.txt

• Locked thread