Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

theshim posted:

Can confirm, Vortex Ignite build is the poo poo.

Yep! I "just" need to get a +1 max res Stone of Lazhwar and then I'll be able to run a rare shield with 19 or 20% reduced damage from DoT. This will give me at least 300 base ES which will be wonderful.

Now, to get my Leo to level 3, or to pay somebody to use theirs? What kind of cost do the tips for spamming Haku 7 and Leo 3 until you get a high roll come to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daaz
Feb 20, 2004

D.I.Y.
Coming back for this expansion.. glad to see LA builds are still a thing

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
How much crit multi would you give up for EO?

With a build I'm theorycrafting right now (Berserker Doomfletch) I would end up with around +160% multi (70% from nodes converted to bows via jewel, 90% from eweak on hit facebreakers) and I'm three points from EO.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...rlG11cpcYVyDw==

This is me going full retard - the idea is that I would have enough HP to survive a reflect rare provided that I didn't one shot myself. Otherwise I'm going to dunk the gently caress out of things.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
e: NVM I SUCK AT MATH.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vasudus posted:

How much crit multi would you give up for EO?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/47uj82/comparison_between_elemental_overload_and_normal/

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I didnt touch Atlas yet, but i kinda feel i should give it a try.

My main problem is that i have no idea what to play.
I want something slightly out of the box, that still kinda works and is also on a budget.

What about Avatar of fire earthquake that focusses on ignites?
Since ill most likely running RT i cant rely on crits for ignite, and i dont think the chance-to support will suffice?

Any other semi-retarded-but-yet-workable ideas?

I've been considering another obliterator, this time with a spell (and a ton of synergies). Try it, report back.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Hooray, so 15% crit @ 310 multi is EO territory. Works for me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Could I get an invite to guild BTW?

AuraBotFourK in game

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Been playing this, lots of fun, but how and when can/should I start playing multiplayer? My problem with all the Diablo clones is that they're barren wastelands of multiplayer.

I played a lot of Marvel Heroes. Is there a multiplayer scene like that, simply just queue for very short waits to be dropped into multiplayer instances with max players? I dont want to join parties just to have people drop out and/or parties go nowhere.

I'm doing the storyline now, so I dont mind a bit of loneliness, but assuming the game holds up I'm not really intersted if it has Diablo 3 non-existant levels of multiplayer

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
At any point while playing you can hit S and Create a Party and it will probably have someone join you eventually, depending on what you named the party.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Madcosby posted:

Been playing this, lots of fun, but how and when can/should I start playing multiplayer? My problem with all the Diablo clones is that they're barren wastelands of multiplayer.

I played a lot of Marvel Heroes. Is there a multiplayer scene like that, simply just queue for very short waits to be dropped into multiplayer instances with max players? I dont want to join parties just to have people drop out and/or parties go nowhere.

I'm doing the storyline now, so I dont mind a bit of loneliness, but assuming the game holds up I'm not really intersted if it has Diablo 3 non-existant levels of multiplayer

There is a large goon guild that I'm sure does mapping and stuff, and we also have a much smaller ICR-led MH2016 escapee guild where we group up and do maps. ICR has not logged on in 2 weeks so you'll feel right at home. Shoot me your name if you want an invite to that one instead of the much better main goon guild.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Soothing Vapors posted:

There is a large goon guild that I'm sure does mapping and stuff, and we also have a much smaller ICR-led MH2016 escapee guild where we group up and do maps. ICR has not logged on in 2 weeks so you'll feel right at home. Shoot me your name if you want an invite to that one instead of the much better main goon guild.

Is the multiplayer quick and easy like Marvel Heroes or is it slow to organize and move forward?

I liked Xaviers Mansion waves, Midtown and those types of Multiplayer instances very much. That's what I'm hoping exists in this game too. Basically, if I log on for 15 -30 min can I play with 4-8 more people and watch different people shoot magic from their butts, or is it like Diablo multiplayer where people join your group and you either never see them or they just idle/disappear

edit: Basically, in Marvel Heroes once I got my first char passed the storyline, I never saw single player gameplay ever again. Is that how this works too, or am I doing solo stuff waiting for multiplayer stuff to appear

Madcosby fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 28, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I dunno how marvel's is, but poe is what I would consider "drop in, drop out". Basically there is no difference between completing a task in multiplayer or single player. You are actually constantly playing the game in "multiplayer mode" even if its by yourself. When you make a lobby, there is no load screen or anything, and if someone joins your game it doesn't interrupt your play at all. You just throw down a town portal and they can pop right in. The issue is that usually people play the early game alone and only join random people's games for quick boss kills so its best to play with friends or join the goon guild. Multiplayer is fun and rewarding, as I'm sure you can imagine how builds that are already complex on their own can have a lot of synergy with other builds, so there are definitely plenty of people to group with once you get to the end game (maps).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Multiplayer is also a great way to have your video card catch on fire as a couple people with 50 MTXes spawn 12 million projectiles and create screen-filling explosions each second.

On the upside though, that usually means enemies vaporize in a nanosecond.

edit: Act 2 is kind of a PITA in party play because of the Bandit quest and with how not-linear it is (although this can be exploited by having people go off in separate directions then drop a portal for people to join in on boss kills and such). The other acts are quite linear.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 28, 2016

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

You will see people you party with because individual maps are instanced instead of whole worlds. If someone is going to party with you they'll be on the same map or they won't join your party at all. Also they SHOULD stay near you because there's a limited range for exp sharing but some people in public parties are assholes and will say gently caress you if you don't move fast enough to keep up.

That said, there's nothing in the game made for multiplayer and until you get to around lvl 65 and finish the quests in merciless, it's not constructive to party with someone outside of your immediate level range. Until that point people are just trying to complete the questline, and while you could have someone who is higher level rush you through, you'll still have to go run maps in your level range to level up later anyways. Once you hit endgame mapping, the level range for partying goes up a lot, since a lvl 65 character and a lvl 75 character can both be running the same level maps and get full exp.

Also, technically speaking multiplayer makes things harder unless everyone's on the same page and contributing equally. If player A isn't strong enough to do a boss and player B is, the only thing that happens when both of those players party up is that player B now has to fight the boss with twice as much hp. To get around this people running party races do a trick where if everyone is waiting in town and one person starts a boss fight with no one else in the map, then the boss is set to 1 player life and the rest of the party can then join and it'll still be at the same life total. This doesn't work in endgame maps because they limit the number of portals you have.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Madcosby posted:

Is the multiplayer quick and easy like Marvel Heroes or is it slow to organize and move forward?

I liked Xaviers Mansion waves, Midtown and those types of Multiplayer instances very much. That's what I'm hoping exists in this game too. Basically, if I log on for 15 -30 min can I play with 4-8 more people and watch different people shoot magic from their butts, or is it like Diablo multiplayer where people join your group and you either never see them or they just idle/disappear

edit: Basically, in Marvel Heroes once I got my first char passed the storyline, I never saw single player gameplay ever again. Is that how this works too, or am I doing solo stuff waiting for multiplayer stuff to appear

There's no muscleheim, xdef or cmm analogue. The endgame is maps, which are sort of like cosmic terminals except better in every way. You can group up for those and have fun and have the aforementioned cooperative butt-magic-shooting experience. Getting together with a couple folks and chain running hard maps is legit fun. It's hard to state how much better maps are than terminals.

Other than that there isn't a lot of multiplayer that I've seen.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Madcosby posted:

you will probably be disappointed honestly

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a lot of party based uniques and skills though, like the support gems and key skills that boost auras for other people, or the helmet that buffs party damage but lowers your own

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

So outside of the multiplayer discussion, the recent interest in Totems got me thinking about making a build for (possibly) farming the endgame t16s/Shaper more safely than either of my current builds can. Iron Commander honestly didn't look like it did that much damage and the life pool was pretty terrible, and I don't really see the point in making a Pathfinder BV right now, and also didn't particularly enjoy playing ED/Contagion before. So I came up with this: poeurl.com/Nko, Occultist Poison Bladefall Totems.

The goals here are to get around the issues with Bladefall traps/mines by not having to deal with any kind of trap cooldown and also not having to deal with Bladefall Mines not shooting at enemies any more, and to make a build that could stack up a huge ES pool in the same way that ED/Contagion does. It's still highly experimental right now, but from everything I can tell I feel like it should work well. I'll probably post more about it as I actually hit the endgame. Also, yes, I plan on using a 6L Bow with Delirium Decay craft and +1 all gems.

I'm not sure about the gem links right now. Obviously the base is Bladefall - Spell Totem - Poison, and Concentrated Effect on a totem build with the unique way Bladefall works (AoE only seems to apply in length, not width) means that you don't really feel clear speed drawbacks with it and it's the biggest more multiplier. I believe Void Manipulation is easily the best 5th link because it scales the poison damage and the Decay with no drawbacks, but I'm not sure about the 6th link. Controlled Destruction adds a more multiplier to base phys (and in turn the poison damage) but doesn't scale the Decay at all (I'm pretty sure at least). I think the best option is Rapid Decay, though the multiplier is smaller than Controlled Destruction, but I'm not entirely confident on this. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything other support that double dips on Bladefall Totems (why do traps get a Trap + Mine Damage Support but totems don't get an equivalent?) besides Less Duration, but Less Duration can't possibly be better than the other options because it cuts severely into the poison duration, also the double dipping multiplier is much smaller anyways.

blackteapot
Jan 26, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

Occultist Poison Bladefall Totems.
Also, yes, I plan on using a 6L Bow with Delirium Decay craft and +1 all gems.

I'm not sure if the bladefall would inherit the decay from the bow, have you tested or read that it can?

I'm doing the ED + Soul Strike + Delerium bow CI occultist build, and it's sturdy as hell. It takes a little bit to DoT down a boss, but surviving in the mean time isn't a problem.

With ED at least - empower (mine is only level 2) in an already +1socketed gems bow means huge damage (beefs up my empower to give +2 levels instead of +1, meaning a +3 total). Looks like bladefall base damage at 20 would be 380 to 570, and increased to 500 to 750 - whereas ED goes from dot 809 base 233 to 349 increased to dot 1107 base 319 to 478. So it Bladefall gets a 31.5% boost whereas ED gets 36.8% increased dot and a 39.3% base damage increase. Again, those are base damage before multipliers and such, and assuming a lvl 2 empower (economic choice, a 20q lvl 2 non-corrupt empower is like, 40-55c)

As mentioned though, it really depends on if bladefall can make use of delirum - but from what I've seen it probably would, I just don't have any info to back that up.

Also - get a witchfire brew, it's amazing with this sort of setup.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

blackteapot posted:

I'm not sure if the bladefall would inherit the decay from the bow, have you tested or read that it can?

I'm doing the ED + Soul Strike + Delerium bow CI occultist build, and it's sturdy as hell. It takes a little bit to DoT down a boss, but surviving in the mean time isn't a problem.

With ED at least - empower (mine is only level 2) in an already +1socketed gems bow means huge damage (beefs up my empower to give +2 levels instead of +1, meaning a +3 total). Looks like bladefall base damage at 20 would be 380 to 570, and increased to 500 to 750 - whereas ED goes from dot 809 base 233 to 349 increased to dot 1107 base 319 to 478. So it Bladefall gets a 31.5% boost whereas ED gets 36.8% increased dot and a 39.3% base damage increase. Again, those are base damage before multipliers and such, and assuming a lvl 2 empower (economic choice, a 20q lvl 2 non-corrupt empower is like, 40-55c)

As mentioned though, it really depends on if bladefall can make use of delirum - but from what I've seen it probably would, I just don't have any info to back that up.

Also - get a witchfire brew, it's amazing with this sort of setup.

I'm almost sure that Delirium works with Totems because from my understanding it works with Traps and Mines. If I'm wrong about that then the build will look different and I'll have to reconsider a bunch of things. Auras will either be Disc + Clarity alone or Disc + Clarity + Temp Chains on Blasphemy. Might use a Curse on Hit setup for Temp Chains if I don't Blasphemy it. I get the 2nd curse from Occultist for Witchfire Brew.

I know you get around a 32% boost for +3 skill levels. Controlled Destruction gives a 44% boost. Corrupted lvl 4 empower might give a little more than 44%, but outside of that case there's no reason to go with Empower over Controlled Destruction. The question is Controlled Destruction vs Rapid Decay.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

<3 Joe_Duncan

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Delrium procs from all hits, so if you have 20 BV stacks up you decay stuff, same with 50 raging spirits, or 4 shockwave totems etc

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Awesome! posted:

you will probably be disappointed honestly

Yeah multiplayer play is one of the handful of advantages MH has over POE.

Soothing Vapors posted:

It's hard to state how much better maps are than terminals.

didn't they already rip off POE maps a while back?

blackteapot
Jan 26, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

I'm almost sure that Delirium works with Totems because from my understanding it works with Traps and Mines. If I'm wrong about that then the build will look different and I'll have to reconsider a bunch of things. Auras will either be Disc + Clarity alone or Disc + Clarity + Temp Chains on Blasphemy. Might use a Curse on Hit setup for Temp Chains if I don't Blasphemy it. I get the 2nd curse from Occultist for Witchfire Brew.

I know you get around a 32% boost for +3 skill levels. Controlled Destruction gives a 44% boost. Corrupted lvl 4 empower might give a little more than 44%, but outside of that case there's no reason to go with Empower over Controlled Destruction. The question is Controlled Destruction vs Rapid Decay.

Big Edit - I need to stop projecting my build:

I see, I think you and I have two different skill gem setups, not just as in the active skill but what's supporting.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/blackteapot/characters
character is CrenshawPete

You have the particular problem of needing to spend 2 slots on one skill essentially, because of the spell totem. I think I would take controlled destruction, but man that's a close call. People that have done guardians and shaper with a totem with a non-totem ascendancy might be able to tell you more, but I'd be interested to know if you don't need to take minion and totem life or minion and totem resistance over another dps gem. I'd be more scared of my totems staying alive than if I was doing damage fast enough.

I really look forward to hearing how this goes, it seems like you'd solve the problem of not having to have a single target and separate group clearing setup.

Lesson from trying to get geared the first time around, and this might be obvious to you (but it wasnt to me) - take the lowest level / prerequisite dexterity 6 link bow you can find to craft it up (if that's you're route). For me it meant the difference of around 50-80 dex I didn't have to get from nodes or gear, thus freeing up my options.

blackteapot fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 28, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

didn't they already rip off POE maps a while back?

Yeah, but they did a poo poo job of it, the danger room sucks

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah, but they did a poo poo job of it, the danger room sucks

quelle surprise

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Budgie posted:

<3 Joe_Duncan

hahaha that owns

though credit where credit's due, it's actually by a friend of his

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is it possible to do a ci rf build?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
No, RF automatically shuts off when you're at 1 life, which would be always on CI.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Is CI regarded as 'on low life'?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that one i know to be no. you are at full life or dead with ci so like pain attunement doesnt work

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The best low life interaction is that Vaal Righteous Fire is always low life unless you're ci.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Sillybones posted:

Is CI regarded as 'on low life'?

low life = less than 35% of your max health

CI is always 1/1 (e: I lied, you can be at 0/1 which is always no life) which is always full life

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
A pretty standard ED build made build of the week and HOO BOY are the commenters salty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDzIPCQIPcA

Granted, I'd have preferred some wacky special snowflake build, but there's nothing really wrong with this one.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Will Herald of Ash apply overkill burning damage to things killed by Abyssal Cry explosions? It says it doesn't work with spells, but Abyssal Cry technically isn't a spell.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Xequecal posted:

Will Herald of Ash apply overkill burning damage to things killed by Abyssal Cry explosions? It says it doesn't work with spells, but Abyssal Cry technically isn't a spell.

Abyssal Cry is not an attack, which is what HoA applies to. Additionally, I believe the overkill burn emanates from a corpse, which AC does not leave behind.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also you only get an "overkill burn" from a corpse if the HoA gem was linked to elemental proliferation. Alas, the days of burn prolif melting everything is long gone. I used to use it for clearing rooms, and the room behind.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
man three dragons ice shot those were good days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Level 21 and just finishing up the bandit quests in act 2.

Do I really have to do this two more times :effort:

• Locked thread